What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcement from WARL

Nuke

Staff member
STATEMENT FROM THE BOARD OF THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE
4th December 2009

· We advise that the General Manager Bill Nosworthy has tendered his resignation and that it has been accepted by the WARL Board.
· In conjunction with the ARL, the WARL Board has advertised and is currently seeking applicants for a new General Manager/CEO. It is expected that this process will be completed by 18th December 2009 and that the new person will begin immediately after the Christmas break.
· We will be proceeding with our current REAP Academy programme.
· The WARL will host St George Illawarra Dragons against the Parramatta Eels in a trial game on the 14th February. Tickets for this have been strong.
· The South Sydney Rabbitohs will play the Melbourne Storm in a competition game in late June. This has also been confirmed.
· The WARL will continue to focus on the strength and growth of our local competition while continuing to formulate our plan and gain support for a bid to be included in any future NRL expansion plans.

The WARL Board is unified in its commitment to our League, to all of our stakeholders and participants and is motivated and excited about the future of our game in Western Australia.

This e-mail came from the WARL yesterday (Friday).
I'd actually heard early-mid week that Nosworthy had stood down, but this is the first official announcement that I have seen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame I rated him highly. So both heads are now gone. Interesting times ahead.

ps surprised there wasn't the slightest appreciation in that statement for the good work Bill has done over the last few years. Has there been a falling out?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
nope but I do want to see the game grow and expand and I'm realistic about what that may mean.

I got an interesting email from the bid team the other day stating that they are still very much under the impression the NRL will expand in 2013 and that WA is def in with a very good shot.

WA Roo

Juniors
Great news. 2 guys who treat reds like they own them are gone. now there will be more support from wa footy fans.

Jankuloski

Juniors
But it is a fact that there is an offer of 8 mil for any team that decides to relocate out of Sydney. No one has more insight in the facts than the NRL. Most people see Sydney as having too many teams. It's just that no one wants to say to anyone else that their team should be the one to relocate. Or they do, and that creates a pissing contest. Bottom line - a club will relocate sooner or later as the NRL will lift its standards, and some won't keep up because their market is too small. It remains to be seen which one it is, but this is where the expansion bids come in with new markets.

Wasnt there an article stating that the nrl no-longer had this money?
Hope Perth get in before the central coast, I believe that the central coast is a short sighted move for the nrl competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the AFL can't make it work in Melbourne with over saturation despite all their money and fan base then it is clear RL in Sydney isn't going to. I know it will be terrible for fans of the clubs that can't keep up (having been there myself twice!) but reality is unless there is some major improvements in the way clubs do business it is hard to see in 20 years time the same number of Sydney clubs in the comp. And that's before we talk about how we make room to allow expansion sides in without ending up with too big a league.

Fraser

terrible shame

warl should take more initiative, get more kids trying the game

every kid in wa should have a steeden in their hands

Perth Red

Post Whore
and you should stop taking drugs! Be like an AFL fan saying every kid in NSW should have an AFL ball in his hands.

Don't think you realise the damage done to RL in WA in 1997 Fraser. It all but killed the game. Baldwin and Nosworthy have done a good job getting the game off its knees here. Over the last 5 years the local comp has got stronger every year, the WA Reds is a good start to getting our players up to the next level and hopefuully the high quality board they have put together will drive the game forward even more over the next 5 years. Not bad with zero help from the NRL!

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Over the last 5 years the local comp has got stronger every year

That's more or less due to the hard work and leadership done at club level. They're the ones working in the community to attract local members into their clubs; they're the ones coaching the kids.

I doubt it has much to do with the WARL Office's leadership. Beyond the odd, occasional, seldomly active "development officer"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit unfair, haven't the WARL been doing a fair bit in recent years with school programs and running an inter school comp for kids to give the game a go?

Considering what they inherited in 2000 and where we are at now overall it hasn't been too bad a job imo.