What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another AFL wanker bagging out the great game

El Diablo

Post Whore
and today we get this f**kstick http://www.theage.com.au/afl/competitions/afl/by/martin-flanagan

http://www.watoday.com.au/opinion/s...-of-footballers-dog-prank-20101112-17r2z.html

The global shame of footballer's dog prank
Martin Flanagan
November 13, 2010

AUSTRALIANS are said to lack a global consciousness, but an Australian who is likely to possess one henceforth is former Canberra Raiders NRL player Joel Monaghan.

Monaghan was photographed during the Raiders' post-season Mad Monday having what has been described as simulated sex with a teammate's labrador. For two weeks, the photo did the laps of Canberra's rugby league community until it met with an animal rights campaigner. A bizarre story then got more bizarre.

The animal rights campaigner - who launched the photograph of Monaghan and the dog into the twittershpere - tweets under the name Fake Wyatt Roy. Wyatt Roy is the Liberal Party's infant prodigy, its 20-year-old member for Longman. Former treasurer Peter Costello has said Roy could be leader of the party in another 25 years. Twenty-five years is a period of time unknown to Wyatt Roy. It is 25 per cent longer than he has been on the planet. Predictably, he is fighting mad about his name being used in relation to the Monaghan scandal and has released a statement saying that someone is trying to destroy his reputation.

The Monaghan story has gone around the world. It was one of Twitter's 10 biggest-trending topics on the planet. In Taiwan, you can watch an animated version of it. It went big in South Africa and New Zealand. One South African blogger wrote, "The world is laughing at the uncouth, unrefined, and uneducated country that is Australia." The London Guardian ran with the quote but noted it had also been published in Australia "in a remarkable act of self-flagellation".

There have been a torrent of jokes about it - for example, when will rugby league players learn that woof means woof? One blog site claimed to present animal rights ethicist Peter Singer's view on the subject.

By this time, the Canberra Raiders' sponsors were making ominous noises. Gary Sykes, the chairman of sponsor Canberra Milk, said of the incident involving Monaghan and the dog, ''It's not a good thing when you're thinking the public is thinking Canberra Milk."

It will be some time, I fear, before the words Canberra and NRL cause a carton of milk to pop into people's imaginations.

In my sports column last week, I described rugby league as unkillable, a word I borrowed from the American poet and fascist collaborator Ezra Pound, who used it to describe the children of a woman he didn't like.

Collingwood's Alan Didak took the AFL to extremes when he went on a night-time jaunt with a man later convicted of a callous murder but, over the past decade, the NRL has made the AFL look like a show the ABC would run on Sunday morning.

The NRL has had to deal with a drive-by shooting, allegations of gang rape, a traumatised woman revealing details of group sex involving one of the game's biggest media personalities - you would think, in PR terms, things could not possibly get worse. Then a player is photographed simulating sex with a dog.

The biggest difference between the NRL and the AFL is that women make up 49 per cent of AFL supporters. Women are now a definite presence in the AFL at club and commission level, as well as in the media.

Another difference between the AFL and the NRL is that the AFL acts as a central government, which rigorously monitors and manipulates the game's image. The NRL does not have a commission. The individual clubs are much more powerful.

What is most interesting to me is that, notwithstanding a run of bad publicity that a Hollywood film producer would be hard-pressed to invent, rugby league appears to be strengthening as a television game. I see it this way. The AFL is like the family entertainment show that comes on around 8.30pm. The NRL is like the movie that starts around midnight.

Monaghan's departure from the Raiders earlier this week was a sad affair. The club seemed sorry to see him go and there was talk of having him back in the future. Monaghan says he knows he'll have to live with it. We all will. Do you think New Zealanders, after a century or more of jokes about them having sexual relationships with sheep, are going to forget this?

Monaghan is hoping to get a place in the English Super League. I assume he understands that going to the other side of the world does not mean he's going to get away from what occurred. He'll have to go to Jupiter or Saturn for that.

Martin Flanagan is a senior writer.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Collingwood's Alan Didak took the AFL to extremes when he went on a night-time jaunt with a man later convicted of a callous murder but, over the past decade, the NRL has made the AFL look like a show the ABC would run on Sunday morning.

The NRL has had to deal with a drive-by shooting, allegations of gang rape, a traumatised woman revealing details of group sex involving one of the game's biggest media personalities - you would think, in PR terms, things could not possibly get worse. Then a player is photographed simulating sex with a dog.

and none of these things have happened in AFL and Didak is the worst?

lets see

St Kilda pair in second rape interview

lets not forget the recent controversy over that too

Former policeman says Stephen Milne rape charge collapsed amid internal pressure

or this

St Kilda recruit Andrew Lovett charged with rape

or even this

Swan helped pay $200,000 over rape claim

more hush money

Sex hush money scandal hits AFL

the bungled case

Police bungled woman's sex assault claim

or Fev

Brendan Fevola accused of sexual assault

and the cotroversy as to why that didn't go anywhere

http://www.vexnews.com/news/6719/cage-this-beast-brendan-fevolas-sexual-assault-exposed/

The woman – who attended the Brownlow Medal event – is thought to be unlikely to want to make a complaint because it might adversely effect her career or her reputation in the football world. That’s a remarkable reflection on modern football, if true.

or maybe this current investigation

Pies players in sexual assault investigation

even fans aren't safe at games

Teen sexually assaulted at Showdown

or even at a junior level

Touch scandal in junior footy

and that's just the sexual assault allegations

They even used strippers to raise money

Explicit stripper at Melbourne Demons' fundraiser

numerous assaults occured and even a few on womem. two just last year

Bock avoids punishment for assault

and this

Albert Proud avoids jail after glassing girl

We'll leave the drugs alone or we'll be here all day. I suppose our friend Flanagan has forgotten about Benny and his mates at the West Coast Eagles

how about two clubs losing sponsors for repeat DUI offences

AFL Club Loses Road Safety Sponsor on Drunk Driving Charge

Rookie's drink-drive charge costs Collingwood

or maybe he'd like to talk to this guy

Krakouer's AFL fairytale angers bashing victim

and who could forget this from their games greatest ever player they call 'God'

Ablett told fan the heroin she was snorting was cocaine

and another greats hit list

Wayne Carey's sordid off-field behaviour

WAYNE Carey is no stranger to controversy off the football field. See his growing list of indiscretions below.

September 1996:
Carey convicted of indecent assault after grabbing a woman's breast outside a King Street nightclub and telling her: "Why don't you get a bigger pair of tits."

March 2002:
Carey caught having an affair with the wife of teammate and close friend Anthony Stevens. He leaves the North Melbourne AFL club in disgrace.

February 2003:
A 19-year-old Adelaide woman claims she used a camera to take a photo of a partying Carey, naked except for a T-shirt.

August 2005:
Carey leaves a crowd of 200 guests at a Gold Coast sportsman's lunch stunned when he opens his speech with a joke about his affair with Stevens' wife.

February 2006: Carey separates from wife Sally less than two months after the birth of their first child.

October 2007:
Carey allegedly attacks his girlfriend Katie Neilson while on holiday in the US and then assaults police called to their Miami hotel room.

January 2008:
Carey arrested for assaulting police during a domestic dispute with Neilson at his home in Port Melbourne. His media career is in tatters as 3AW and the Nine Network decide not to renew their contracts with the disgraced star.

could be here all day listing incidents. that will do for the time being

then our friend adds this

The biggest difference between the NRL and the AFL is that women make up 49 per cent of AFL supporters. Women are now a definite presence in the AFL at club and commission level, as well as in the media.

big difference?

got some news for you, Martin

League girls loyal under heavy fire

which contained this

In a major boost for the NRL on the eve of its inaugural Women In League round, researcher Repucom has found that 40.9 per cent of league fans were women at the end of 2008. The two-in-five ratio is just 0.8 per cent less than the gender split recorded in AFL, long suspected to be the most female-friendly football code.

The national poll of 4000 sports fans was conducted by Lynne Anderson, wife of former Australian Test coach Chris Anderson. She admitted rugby league's continued appeal among women was surprising at the end of last season, let alone during the first quarter of 2009 when feminine interest soared another 2 per cent.

"I don't even know how to explain it myself," said Anderson, who polled people across Australia on their attitudes toward different sports. "All I can say is that support among females for rugby league has remained very strong since we started the surveys four years ago. There's definitely a misconception that the AFL is more female-friendly.

and our Friend goes on to say this

Another difference between the AFL and the NRL is that the AFL acts as a central government, which rigorously monitors and manipulates the game's image. The NRL does not have a commission. The individual clubs are much more powerful.

does he mean this?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118100557923424501.html

More than a decade ago, News Corp.'s Australian unit struck a marketing agreement with the Australian Football League in which some of News Corp.'s Australian papers promised a minimum amount of news coverage of the sport, according to the AFL and News Corp. Promising coverage in return for anything of value is forbidden by many publications, which regard it as advertising masquerading as news. A group led by a News Corp. unit later won rights to televise league games for several years.

or is he talking about this?

Scrutiny of secret AFL-police deal

and talk about going global

here's a nice youtube vid from India

Smug Brumby preaches, Essendon 'extremely disappointed' - drunk Hurley assaults Indian taxi driver!

all about this

Bomber to pay $10,000 for assault

this arseclown needs to be educated or is he just in denial?

either way it's yet another example of what RL is up against in the media

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
You didn't include John Elliots recent admission that during his time at Carlton he regularly paid girls to keep quiet over rape allegations. In his own words he "was very concerned " about a few of them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Typical clueless, deluded,insular Victorian Nuffy. No idea what goes on outside Victoriania .

Brutus

Referee
Great post El Diablo, but no matter what AFL players do, they will continue to get preferential treatment in the media.

The Victorian media are clueless about RL most of the time, but turn into experts when discussing the code's off-field behaviour.

El Diablo

Post Whore
do you think we'll ever see the day a RL journo do this the other way around?

no way

most of those pricks spend their day bagging RL themselves and would switch codes at the drop of a hat

LESStar58

Referee
Good old Flanno from the Age where that wrinkly old windbag Caro is head writer. Coincidence? Doubtful.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You didn't include John Elliots recent admission that during his time at Carlton he regularly paid girls to keep quiet over rape allegations. In his own words he "was very concerned " about a few of them.

if every incident from this thread was posted you'need a day to read it all

badav

Bench
Im going to google AFL articles for the next 4 days straight to make myself feel better about all of this.

Green Machine

First Grade
Today's Rugby League hate session from Peter Fitzsimons was about all off field incidents with players and the connection with alcohol. All probably true:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/alcohall-of-shame-exposes-nrl-20101112-17r74.html

Alco-hall of shame exposes NRL

November 13, 2010
THE FITZ FILES
Think for a moment, of every rugby league atrocity in recent memory. OK, you got me. A ''moment'' won't cover it. Take a few minutes.
Back? Well, what do they all have in common? Of course! Excessive consumption of alcohol. From the Joel Monaghan episode, to Schlossie's shoe, to Nate Myles's undies, to the Manly sponsors' night last year, to the dozens upon dozens of other outrages, often on women and members of the public and frequently played out on the front and back pages, alcohol is there. On each occasion, the NRL reacts with high dudgeon and threatens low dungeons, shaking their right fists at the players while … hang on … what is that they are doing with their left hands? They're raking in money from the sponsors of the very product that is doing all the damage - alcohol! And the alcohol companies are happy to write enormous cheques so that rugby league followers will consume more of their product, even as they, and the NRL, and the rest of us, have the terrible example before us all of what happens to the players who consume too much of that very same product! Just how hypocritical, therefore, does that make the NRL? Discuss.
I suppose he would feel a lot better that Bundaberg dropped their sponsorship of the ARU. Peter must have had a million sleepless nights with Union’s off field incidents in recent times,

chefman21

Juniors
The worst part about all of this is that it is now going to be in the public conscience here on in. Both codes have screwed up in the past, I think everyone can agree on that. But what I don't agree on is that we are the only code that does it. Maybe because it's a working class game which is much tougher than most other codes that it keeps it's reputation as being a thugs game played by thugs. Maybe because it gets preferential treatment in the media when it comes to negatives. Or maybe there is a genuine culture problem.

Either way, there is now a hell of a lot of work to do to change the image and perception associated with the code. It has to be seen to be doing far more than it has done in the past, or even what it is doing now, to remove the extreme levels of association happening in the public.

El Diablo

Post Whore
nothing can be done to change the way the media work

for every NRL incident there's an AFL incident just as bad. you will never see it reported as seriously though and in most cases AFL incidents are never highlighted in RL states

the same can't be said the other way around

can you imagine if an NRL player sexually assaulted a female DT journo at the Dally M's?

you can bet it would not be hushed up by the media and she wouldn't fear for her career if she lodged a police complaint

that seems an unthinkable scenario in any code yet vexnews reported that is what allegedly happened at the Brownlow Medal http://www.vexnews.com/news/6719/cage-this-beast-brendan-fevolas-sexual-assault-exposed/

thenry

Juniors
Just had to login for the first time in ages to say well done el diablo on your post. We need more people like you around. I will be at the game tonight yelling my freaking lungs out and don't give a fig for all the knockers. I grew up playing and watching our great game and I will continue to do so no matter what the f**king media spits out.

Mickyd39

Juniors
Just had to login for the first time in ages to say well done el diablo on your post. We need more people like you around. I will be at the game tonight yelling my freaking lungs out and don't give a fig for all the knockers. I grew up playing and watching our great game and I will continue to do so no matter what the f**king media spits out.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

"Comments are now closed" :sarcasm:

The usual reaction to people pointing out the hypocrisy.

Either that or the comments don't get through.

And "our" journos are as usual, quiet as church mice...

Masters, Chesterton, Ritchie etc could come out all guns blazing but they don't. They never do.

Makes you wonder if there isn't something there that Chris Masters shouldn't get into..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The media is all about building an image/creating a perception, this why league incidents are always linked and usually the story starts with "another......." whilst AFL incidents are dealt individually then put aside without the hysteria.

For some reason RL's place is always to be put in a negative light this occurs overseas also.

The same negative perception is used to keep our international game down also.

RL1908

Bench
100% agree there is an imbalance, and I'm still not entirely sure why.

There seems to be an audience in the non-NRL states for these sort of "AFL's better than RL" articles. It reinforces existing prejudicies and preconceptions about RL.

The reverse though? The NSW/QLD/national media is not going to run stories/commentaries if the readership/viewers aren't interested in the subject. I'm not sure too many RL fans in NSW/QLD, and sports fans generally in those states, are interested in how AFL incidents are treated, whether it is fair when compared to the NRL, and/or concerned about how RL is being portrayed in the non-NRL states. I'm not saying they shouldn't care, but it seems few do. Maybe RL journos fit into that line of thinking too, apart from the very occasional effort when it is topical.

More: "YOU DON’T LIKE LEAGUE – WE GET IT, OK."