What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another good prop off to england ...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
nospam49™ said:
Its funny how people take things to heart.

Really, you have to wonder where the Warriors will find another over weight forward who can put in three big runs a game.

A bloke off the street could do the same job.

Mate, your claims just don't stack up against the facts. Look at the guys stats for this season:

Stat Season avg Last 5 avg
metres 103.2 112.4
hitups 11.6 13.4
tackles 11.2 11.6
mist. 0.3 0.4

That's pretty much in the normal range for a quality interchange prop who plays 40-50min a game, and would be good enough to get him into any 17 in the NRL and into the run-on side for many.
That said I don't blame the Warriors for his loss given that Wigan were offering him $1.5M over 3 years. How many NRL props are on $500K a year? I doubt any of them do, and given that they're already paying Price and Wiki's salaries (who would be two of the best paid props in the comp) there's no way the Warriors were going to get close to that.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Read in the SMH he's getting 1.5 million over three years at Wigan. 500K a season. If that's not what over-rated is I dont know what is.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tidus_Raider said:
Read in the SMH he's getting 1.5 million over three years at Wigan. 500K a season. If that's not what over-rated is I dont know what is.
If he was getting paid that in the NRL I'd agree but it seems to bee the norm in the ESL, which is why we keep losing players to the UK unfortunately.

Razor

Coach
Why do all the good Kiwis go to england? Fa'afili, Swann, Seu Seu, Jones, Leuleui ....

Because the Kiwis will pick English based players for their national team.

If Australia picked English based players for the international team and SOO teams, you'll find a lot of top Aussies leave as well.

Which is why the ARL must keep that rule in force. And never give exceptions like they did to Langer in 2001 and Smith in 2003.

BuffaloRules said:
Did players still go to England before there was a salary cap?

I think Harry Bath might have gone in the 50's ...he must have been the only one..

Arthur Beetson
Peter Sterling
Brett Kenny
John Ferguson
Brian Bevan
Dave Brown
Graham Eadie (albeit at the very end)
Chris Anderson (Same as Wombat)

Plenty of others too.

ali

Bench
I'd say part of the reason Wigan paid so much for him is that they were totally desperate for a new prop. They have gone into this season way too light and are feeling the effects of it at the moment. They couldn't afford to miss out so gave him an offer that was too big to refuse.

mattyj

Juniors
I heard they were pretty close to the bottom of the table, i wonder if there is a clause in Iafeta's contact to opt out if this happens?

**edit** never mind that, i just had a look and they are getting carved every week but they are still 9pts clear off the bottom

ali

Bench
They are only 3 points off relegation. It's not impossible that they could get relegated, especially considering they would have a far harder draw than the other strugglers, due to having to play last seasons top 6 sides 3 times, where as the other strugglers would be playing last season's bottom six sides 3 times. Yes it's a crazy and an unfair draw.

Having said all that, it would be one of the most amazing stories in RL history if the might of Wigan were to be relegated.