What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another NQ player suicide. RIP Fotu Winterstein

Pierced Soul

First Grade
thats not true regarding the medication. everyone reacts differently to it. some people yes it can enhance depression and anxiety, but a majority of people get a great relief from depression and anxiety. you cna give 2 people the same exact dose and you'll get 2 different results (not always extreme). one may get a few side effects, one may get no side effects. one will start feeling better very quickly, the other might not see any effects for several weeks

betcats

Referee
thats not true regarding the medication. everyone reacts differently to it. some people yes it can enhance depression and anxiety, but a majority of people get a great relief from depression and anxiety. you cna give 2 people the same exact dose and you'll get 2 different results (not always extreme). one may get a few side effects, one may get no side effects. one will start feeling better very quickly, the other might not see any effects for several weeks

Very true, Meds can work wonders for people, for others not so much. I do think some of the 'side effects' are caused by people not taking the meds as per the docs instructions which can have very negative and dngerous effects. There is no doubt though different people react differently. Many people also find physcologists and the like unhelpful aswell. The important thing is there are treatments available and they will work, its just a matter of finding what works best for the individual and then seeing the treatment through, whether it be for weeks, months, years or longer.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Very true, Meds can work wonders for people, for others not so much. I do think some of the 'side effects' are caused by people not taking the meds as per the docs instructions which can have very negative and dngerous effects. There is no doubt though different people react differently. Many people also find physcologists and the like unhelpful aswell. The important thing is there are treatments available and they will work, its just a matter of finding what works best for the individual and then seeing the treatment through, whether it be for weeks, months, years or longer.

Correct. I would say the majority of people have no problems with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) at the dentist.

Not me. I'm one of those rare people who experience extreme nausea - only had it once - never again.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Never a truer word said. A few years ago, I was diagnosed as well and took Lovan and Lexapro.

All they did was totally supress appetite to the extent that I lived on Coke Zero and one bite of a toasted sandwich in a whole week. I only moved out of bed to go to the toilet and never slept but I was never awake.

Depression medication is way worse than the depression itself.

I got through it by consulting with a good psychologist.

They do have shocking side effects the ole SSRIs. Especially at first. I tend to agree with you that a good psychologist is better than medication. Medication is cheaper in the long run though.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think manning up was the right choice of words, but certainly accepting depression as part of you can go a long way. The worst part of it for me for many years was the constant feeling that I was basically battling against myself. By accepting it and working out how to deal with it as opposed to how to fight it I wound up doing much better.

My medication is not an anti-depressant, it's a beta blocker. They lowered my dosage and noticed marked improvement in my moods and general mental well being after they established that I could get away with less than the regular therapeutic dosage and not suffer too many ill effects.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes thats very important. In the west we are surrounded by the idea that we should be happy all the time. That we are failures if we don't lead frankly impossible lives. One of my friends is a psychologist and he tells me that he deals with an absurd number of people who are anxious because they can't live up to the concept of western happiness. Its certainly normal to be sad and anxious when appropriate. Anxiety is what makes us complete tasks and not dive out of windows for a laugh. Its just when it gets out of control its a problem.

So yeah I agree allowing yourself negative emotion is good. Being able to reach out for help is good. I don't go for religion but the Buddhist creed of life is suffering always helps me. Life is full of all kinds of bullshit but that's OK. Its also sometimes full of good moments too.

I don't think manning up was the right choice of words, but certainly accepting depression as part of you can go a long way. The worst part of it for me for many years was the constant feeling that I was basically battling against myself. By accepting it and working out how to deal with it as opposed to how to fight it I wound up doing much better.

A large part of it for me was accepting I have this condition (the physical condition that manifested the depression, not the depression itself,) and it will stay with me for life and that the frightening symptoms I suffer from are normal. The best thing I can do is just manage the symptoms and try to live life as normally as possible. It certainly has limited the anxiety I suffer from. I still have bad days, but they are few and far between and I don't go nearly as dark as I used to because I nip it in the bud by talking to friends or family.

GW.

Juniors
That's a pretty bad choice of words - The "manning the f**k up" attitude is why most guys don't admit to being depressed in the first place - Being depressed does NOT make you weak or less of a man

I dont think it makes people less of a man, apologies if it came that way.
But I do think the manning up comment is the way.
Ill try to explain it better.

You need to deal with things because you have too.

Last year I saw a dude die three metres away getting slammed into a bus. His fault, broken bones protruding everywhere Yow Yeh style. Not pleasant.

Was hard to deal with it and everyone was telling me how hard it mustve been for me. I got a bit down about it , not depression, as I know the difference, if it was depression I wouldnt have eaten for a week and lost 5 kilos, but I thought to myself that soldiers and people in the middle east see dead dudes all the time and see them made dead in alot of horrific ways. They deal with it because they have too. They get killed otherwise. No room to feel sorry for themselves. I kno soldiers do get depressed but they only get depressed when they stop to reflect and focus on it.

You need to tap into your inner fight or flight.

Last edited:

GW.

Juniors
Saying 'Man the f**k up' gives me doubts whether you have actually suffered depression its such a shit statement. Anyone who saw the Darius Boyd interview on Sterlo last week would of seen how effective treatment can be, he is a changed man and the expensive treatment that is would be available to these players through the club especially is effective.

Cuz when you go from 100 kilos to 70 in a month without eating and holding a thought for longer than ten seconds hurting to move you can come back to me and educate me on depression.

On the flip side the depression diet wayyy more effective than the atkins diet

GW.

Juniors
Yes thats very important. In the west we are surrounded by the idea that we should be happy all the time. That we are failures if we don't lead frankly impossible lives. One of my friends is a psychologist and he tells me that he deals with an absurd number of people who are anxious because they can't live up to the concept of western happiness. Its certainly normal to be sad and anxious when appropriate. Anxiety is what makes us complete tasks and not dive out of windows for a laugh. Its just when it gets out of control its a problem.

So yeah I agree allowing yourself negative emotion is good. Being able to reach out for help is good. I don't go for religion but the Buddhist creed of life is suffering always helps me. Life is full of all kinds of bullshit but that's OK. Its also sometimes full of good moments too.

smart.

betcats

Referee
I dont think it makes people less of a man, apologies if it came that way.
But I do think the manning up comment is the way.
Ill try to explain it better.

You need to deal with things because you have too.

Last year I saw a dude die three metres away getting slammed into a bus. His fault, broken bones protruding everywhere Yow Yeh style. Not pleasant.

Was hard to deal with it and everyone was telling me how hard it mustve been for me. I got a bit down about it , not depression, as I know the difference, if it was depression I wouldnt have eaten for a week and lost 5 kilos, but I thought to myself that soldiers and people in the middle east see dead dudes all the time and see them made dead in alot of horrific ways. They deal with it because they have too. They get killed otherwise. No room to feel sorry for themselves. I kno soldiers do get depressed but they only get depressed when they stop to reflect and focus on it.

You need to tap into your inner fight or flight.

I can kinda see what you're getting at but just with the stigma that has been attached with depression especially amongst men "manning up" was a poor choice of words.

betcats

Referee
Cuz when you go from 100 kilos to 70 in a month without eating and holding a thought for longer than ten seconds hurting to move you can come back to me and educate me on depression.

On the flip side the depression diet wayyy more effective than the atkins diet

Ok I shouldnt doubt your word that was poor of me. But i've seen and known people who tried to man up with depression and it killed them. So by all means share your experiences and advice but be mindful of what you are saying as well because imo atleast telling anyone with depression to man up is a dangerous thing and can lead to them feeling even more worthless.

GW.

Juniors
But is there a stigma still?
It seems as if ita gone the other way now.

Outlook plays a part as well.

Lets say I was a cut lower grader.

'Lifeis shit and im a failure because I couldn't make the cut'

Or

'Life is good because I made a rep side, got paid to play for the x team and not many people can say they did, can brag for all eternity I was a part of that'.

betcats

Referee
But is there a stigma still?
It seems as if ita gone the other way now.

Outlook plays a part as well.

Lets say I was a cut lower grader.

'Lifeis shit and im a failure because I couldn't make the cut'

Or

'Life is good because I made a rep side, got paid to play for the x team and not many people can say they did, can brag for all eternity I was a part of that'.

You are giving me doubts again sorry, Its far from that simple. Maybe that worked for you but think about what is going through someones head to make them see no other option but to end their lives, Its hard to imagine despite my own experiences, simply telling them to "be happy" or "look at the glass half full" is not going to work.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that the last listed 4 names have a link to the North Queensland geographical area, and are of similar age (late 18 - early 20)?

* Mosese Fotuaika (Aged 20; Died 28th February 2013; Played junior football for Keebra Park, Gold Coast QLD; Contracted to the Wests Tigers)

* Alex Elisala (Aged 20; Died 29th April 2013; Contracted to the North Queensland Cowboys; Played for the Mackay Cutters)

* Hayden Butler (Aged 20; Died long-weekend of 24th-26th January 2015; Relocated to Mackay, North Queensland in January 2015 to prepare for his first season with the Mackay Cutters)

* Regan Grieve (Aged 18; Died 26th January 2015; From Mackay, played in the North Queensland Cowboys Under 20's side)

* Fotu 'Francis' Winterstein (Aged 19; Died 9th/10th March 2015; Contracted to the NRL North Queensland Cowboys)

Last edited:

Latest posts