What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another NQ player suicide. RIP Fotu Winterstein

$Lucy

Juniors
Thoughts and prayers to the Winterstein family and all those affected by this tragedy. It's so heartbreaking that these players can get to such a low point where they feel that ending it is an option. Who do they have to turn to? How do we try to prevent this from happening? What do the clubs provide in the form of a "Department" to help players deal with these types of issues... I understand they have a "Welfare Department" (Is that correct?) I just feel that these incidents are already too many... Where are the stats on the number of Rugby League Player suicides that have occurred? What are we doing to try and help eliminate this? My concern is for the other Rugby League players established or up and coming, possibly going through the same things that these players were going through... Yes Professional Rugby League is a business... and players are employees... but they still should be entitled to ? (Finish my sentence)

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
As per Australian media laws, you aren't allowed to report suicide.

Rubbish.

"The taboo against reporting suicide has been lifted in extensive new guidelines released to the print media today by the Australian Press Council.
The journalistic euphemism for suicide - ''police said there were no suspicious circumstances'' - may fade away now that the new guidelines acknowledge that reporting suicide can be of public benefit."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/national/reports-on-suicide-fit-to-print-20110801-1i8ar.html

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Thoughts and prayers to the Winterstein family and all those affected by this tragedy. It's so heartbreaking that these players can get to such a low point where they feel that ending it is an option. Who do they have to turn to? How do we try to prevent this from happening? What do the clubs provide in the form of a "Department" to help players deal with these types of issues... I understand they have a "Welfare Department" (Is that correct?) I just feel that these incidents are already too many... Where are the stats on the number of Rugby League Player suicides that have occurred? What are we doing to try and help eliminate this? My concern is for the other Rugby League players established or up and coming, possibly going through the same things that these players were going through... Yes Professional Rugby League is a business... and players are employees... but they still should be entitled to ? (Finish my sentence)

Access to an Employee's Assistance Program (EAPS).

BunniesMan

Immortal
The problem with depression and anxiety is it can be hard for any bloke to admit they have a problem, and especially in such a masculine and competitive arena like footy. And fringe/upcoming players who are battling it out with so many others to get a contract, I can imagine them being very hesitant to cause what they might see as a distraction.

The NRL needs to do more to proactively find solutions. It is not enough to just say "you can talk to X if you like". Too many people that have a problem will not ask for help.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The problem with depression and anxiety is it can be hard for any bloke to admit they have a problem, and especially in such a masculine and competitive arena like footy. And fringe/upcoming players who are battling it out with so many others to get a contract, I can imagine them being very hesitant to cause what they might see as a distraction.

The NRL needs to do more to proactively find solutions. It is not enough to just say "you can talk to X if you like". Too many people that have a problem will not ask for help.

Its a very important issue. Arguably the biggest problem men face. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death for males and males account for 3/5 suicides. While suicide rates are historically falling this is mostly on the back of it lowering in women. Its still sadly quite high for men.

What people don't understand is how physically painful a lot of psychological ailments are. Anxiety physically hurts. It's just so sad. Guys if you ever feel suicidal please get in touch with emergency services or something.

GW.

Juniors
Ive suffered pretty bad depression. Its no joking matter.

But this recent trend of touchy feeling isnt helping.

The key to beating it is not wallowing in it and manning the f**k up.
Ive seen some suicide stats (not islander admittedly) and uts alarming in the sense that the western countries are the highest.

I dont think we are handling it right. Or somethings broke wherein people always think they deserve more?

The only ways I have snapped myself out of depression is to say to myself 'I will not let this empty feeking get the best of me and keep thinking about it feeling sorry for myself'.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Suicide rates in Australia peaked in the very not touchy feely time period of the 60s. Also the countries with the highest suicide rates are in eastern Europe and Asia. I have my doubts about south America's numbers tbh. It's a deeply catholic region and a lot of effort would be put into not allowing a death to be considered a suicide.

ACTPanthers

Bench

Ive seen some suicide stats (not islander admittedly) and uts alarming in the sense that the western countries are the highest.

I dont think we are handling it right. Or somethings broke wherein people always think they deserve more?

The only ways I have snapped myself out of depression is to say to myself 'I will not let this empty feeking get the best of me and keep thinking about it feeling sorry for myself'.

That's a pretty bad choice of words - The "manning the f**k up" attitude is why most guys don't admit to being depressed in the first place - Being depressed does NOT make you weak or less of a man

Canard

Immortal

This post is a little uneven. Some good points, some extremely terrible points

Meth

Staff member

I've never suffered from depression and I am glad to hear that you no longer do. But all research and general consensus from professionals is that 'manning the f**k up' is precisely the wrong message.

betcats

Referee
Saying 'Man the f**k up' gives me doubts whether you have actually suffered depression its such a shit statement. Anyone who saw the Darius Boyd interview on Sterlo last week would of seen how effective treatment can be, he is a changed man and the expensive treatment that is would be available to these players through the club especially is effective.

On the contrary GW, I don't feel that manning the f**k up does anything. If anything it forces you to try to contain the problems rather than address them and it ends up in a moment where you feel that suicide is the only option.

I suffer from bouts of depression due to a recurring congenital health problem which causes anxiety & has a lot of physical symptoms and the medication I take to manage the problem actually causes mood swings and enhances the depression. I tried to deal with it on my own, the best thing I ever did was have a breakdown in front of my wife, because it brought other people to into the fold and lend assistance.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
another issue, as someone alluded to above is that it becomes a risk factor if you know someone who has completed suicide. unfortunately we've seen within "groups" of young men, sometimes suicide becomes almost accepted as a solution to a problem. in this case, whether that cultural group is based on ethnicity or profession, vulnerable people may see it as an option. the suicides we've seen in australian league have all been young players, whether it's the stresses of the professional sport, whether it's the fact some of these young guys are contracted and moved away from family at a young age there's obviously something going on.

i dont think it's purely the NRL amdinistration per se to find a solution. this is where clubs need to have strong leadership and support form the boardroom to the captain and senior players. senior players need to be available to mentor and support the 18 and 19 year olds coming through the ranks. one thing i saw which was great was with the roosters (was on a fox show last year i think) they had a couple who would look after young players have them live them (like a boarding house). they showed SKD and JWH (?) going back and having dinner with this family and a group of young players at the roosters. i'm sure other clubs have similar things, but this is where the leadership and support from senior people becomes invaluable

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I suffer from bouts of depression due to a recurring congenital health problem which causes anxiety & has a lot of physical symptoms and the medication I take to manage the problem actually causes mood swings and enhances the depression. I tried to deal with it on my own, the best thing I ever did was have a breakdown in front of my wife, because it brought other people to into the fold and lend assistance.

Never a truer word said. A few years ago, I was diagnosed as well and took Lovan and Lexapro.

All they did was totally supress appetite to the extent that I lived on Coke Zero and one bite of a toasted sandwich in a whole week. I only moved out of bed to go to the toilet and never slept but I was never awake.

Depression medication is way worse than the depression itself.

I got through it by consulting with a good psychologist.

Never a truer word said. A few years ago, I was diagnosed as well and took Lovan and Lexapro.

All they did was totally supress appetite to the extent that I lived on Coke Zero and one bite of a toasted sandwich in a whole week. I only moved out of bed to go to the toilet and never slept but I was never awake.

Depression medication is way worse than the depression itself.

I got through it by consulting with a good psychologist.

Thankfully I'm not on medication for the depression, I rarely have bad days any more because I talk to family and friends about whatever is bothering me (I used to be one of those who would bottle it up.) My best mate has depression as well and we regularly talk to each other and it works wonders as there is someone there to listen and they know what you're experiencing.

Latest posts