What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another pathetic display!

nickraider

Juniors
Dobson was sh*te IMO. How many times did he put up the bomb and hope to score!!! We had no idea on the last tackle. Dobson had no idea. Our attack was nothing!

Evergreen

Juniors
Purtell's withdrawal really hammered us today. No excuse for the amount of dropped ball but Tonguey and Withers were our rotating 5/8s ffs.

Purtell has been pretty much the only constant figure in our backline this year, and fmd if he had to get injured too.

I think Henry may have to take a gamble on someone like Brad Cross next week. The Dobson/Campese combo has been OK and it will ensure that Tonguey and Withers are kept away from the backline. Our misguided attack was purely because of players being played out of position.

I can't see how Milne can be criticised - f**k he looks like ET next to Howell or Best.

Juniors
canberra were missing that classy last touch today, which carney was showing in patches, i think they just need to get in there and dig abit deeper, canberra are untouchable when they get the jump on a team and an early lead, but when they fall behind their heads drop and its miracle play after miracle play, but no magician is in sight, silly passes, no extended amounts of pressure mounted, their PL team would have turned in a better effort that 1st half, although i thought canberra controlled the tempo very well in the 2nd half, still just missing on their attacking execution, with time canberra will rise to greatness once again, this team is young and still learning, in afew years i sadly agree with alot of these knuckleheads on the canberra forum, canberra will be a force in coming years

Raider_69

Post Whore
well said 1999, i said elsewhere, i think if you add Phil Graham and Todd Carney to that 2nd half team, the come back would have been on

legend

Coach
It wasn't the classy last touch though, it was the clumsy first touch by Withers and Tongue and the continued fumble in the play the ball area.

Also, are the Raiders spraying some type of sticky lubricant on their jerseys so it's harder to lose the ball? It looks like when they drop the ball they are trying to get the ball off their jersey and it looks to be stuck on.

legend

Coach
Dobson has shown he is not mature enough to lead the team around the park and Campese offers nothing in attack and stupidity the rest of the time.

nickraider

Juniors
Raiders on the last - Dosbson bomb!! Did nothing! Had a shocker! The sooner we get Carney back the better!

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Macko8 said:
Thats why im saying leave Milne and Goodwin, even read that part????????

I only said bring up Cross because purtells out,kellys out,grahams out and Campese to the centres just didnt work today.
Nope, got about 5 or 6 posts through before deciding that everybody is a nego. A lot of people come on here simply to criticise. What's worse is that it doesn't get the team anywhere. Who honestly thinks that anybody who has any influence at the Raiders club reads these boards?

Unfortunately youth will give ya inconsistency, that will be the problem with players like Dobbo, but there is no excuse for players like Withers and Tongue who just didnt perform today.Dobbo needs help out there he isnt mature enough to run the team around the park.Carney is needed back, but once again Carney will not hold the ball for them.

trev

Juniors
I would have preferred Campese to stay in the halves and leave Withers at hooker. That has worked well in past weeks and it has at least been a stable setup. Today it was as though too many hands were involved trying to make things happen, no one really took charge.

Tongue is better when he just puts in the hard work with all the little things, rather than get too involved with being a playmaker.

There's no doubt that the Raiders are missing Carney, but nothing can be done about that right now unfortunately, he would definitely add that spark that seems to be missing.

I think that the Raiders started well in defence, but were unlucky with some of the ref's calls and lost that spark right from the beginning. They were hitting hard with their tackles.

The whole team needs to mentally fire up and attack hard whenever they have the chance. Later in the second half, Zillman and Milne made some good metres, but there wasn't so much of that happening in the first half. If they made those runs more often, who knows what edge that might give to the team. Last year in particular, when times got tough, Schif would make a run out of nothing and the whole team would follow him and get involved.

Paullyboy

Coach
What a day.

Spend a few hours travelling to the game, get to the worst rugby league ground in the world and watch that first half. And to make matters worse I only had enough cash on me for 2 beers (there are 0 ATM's at Carrara) - so I couldnt even drown my sorrows.

On the plus - another really solid turnout of Raider fans, our section was covered in green jerseys and flags. I dunno if it was shown on telly though, after all, there wasnt much reason to show Raiders supporters today.

Macko8

Juniors
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
Nope, got about 5 or 6 posts through before deciding that everybody is a nego. A lot of people come on here simply to criticise. What's worse is that it doesn't get the team anywhere. Who honestly thinks that anybody who has any influence at the Raiders club reads these boards?

No id doubt people from the club actually read these posts.

Im not completely negative about the game either, we did do some good things and to keep any team scoreless in a half of football is an achievement in itself.

Im saying we had that much ball down there end in the 2nd half and could only come up with 8 points, its just not good enough.
When our big blokes work there arses off all game to get in good field position (apart from tilse who offloads too much to the opposition) the little men or our so called playmakers cannot turn it into points, thats probably the biggest thing most people are pissed off about.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Whilst the forwards went OK I am still not happy with the make up of the pack. I would look seriously at dropping Thompson and Jones. Bring in Thurling and give him more than 1 week to prove himself. No need imo to carry 4 genuine front rowers as Thurling, TLL and Miller can all play there. Also never happy, like many others, when Hinchcliffe and Withers are named in the same side, doesn't work.

Yesterday confirmed for me that if another club wants to throw big money at Dobson then good luck to them. We shouldn't be paying overs. I would drop him him on yesterday's effort and move Goodwin to fullback, bring in Cross and move Zillman to half back.

In the same way that Prince is vital to the Titans, Carney is equally as important to us. Hopefully the lack of depth in the backs will force the club's hand, sooner rather than later.

legend

Coach
We are in desperate need of some good outside backs as well, as ours are too brittle to see out a season.

I hope Monaghan comes back because he can finish off a movement and score a try or two.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
You talk about the backs being brittle, then in the same post suggest that Monoghan, who has been injured off and on for the last two seasons, should be bought.

Monoghan is not the answer, we saw that in his last season here, or does knowone remember? The only time he was scoring points was off kicks.

Im sure we'll turn out a better performance next week if we can keep the team consistent and not play to many out of posi.

mongoose

Coach
Sydney_Raider said:
Yesterday confirmed for me that if another club wants to throw big money at Dobson then good luck to them. We shouldn't be paying overs. I would drop him him on yesterday's effort and move Goodwin to fullback, bring in Cross and move Zillman to half back.

I can understand why we haven't signed dobson up on a big contract yet. I know it's only his first season and he's been very good in patches but you need more to your game than just kicking the ball. He's a good foil for carney but looks out of his depth without a good 5/8 beside him.

Macko8

Juniors
Its not all that fair to just pin Dobson down as the key man who didnt perform, although its been the sh*ttest game ive seen from him.

Im not overly sure that dobson is key to the raiders future, and it seems his showing this on the field and possibly off the field.
He doesnt seem all that comfortable out there when his playing, his probably got other issues on his mind and wouldnt be surprised to see dobbo grant an early release.

Welcome back monaghan bros.

Timbo

Staff member
What really stuffed us around was the rotating dummy-halves.

In one set, 5 different guys were at dummy half. Shunting Withers to 5/8, and then starting with Thom LL instead of Hinchcliffe caused us massive issues there.

We looked a million times better when Hinchcliffe came on and started running the show from dummy-half.

Also, Withers and Campese looked completely unsure of where they were supposed to be standing half the time. I can't say I blame them really, Campo was named at 5/8 but was supposed to be at centre, whilst withers spent the entire game bouncing from 5/8 to hooker.

We need to settle it down a bit next week. Keep the team that pwned the Dragons in tact, except bring up Cross or Grintell to plug the hole left by Purtell.

Timbo said:
What really stuffed us around was the rotating dummy-halves.

In one set, 5 different guys were at dummy half. Shunting Withers to 5/8, and then starting with Thom LL instead of Hinchcliffe caused us massive issues there.

We looked a million times better when Hinchcliffe came on and started running the show from dummy-half.

Also, Withers and Campese looked completely unsure of where they were supposed to be standing half the time. I can't say I blame them really, Campo was named at 5/8 but was supposed to be at centre, whilst withers spent the entire game bouncing from 5/8 to hooker.

We need to settle it down a bit next week. Keep the team that pwned the Dragons in tact, except bring up Cross or Grintell to plug the hole left by Purtell.

Completely agree.

Whiel I think Neil Henry is potentially a great coach, He deserves a bit of a spray over some of the ridiculous tactics used yesterday.

Having Ben Jones at hooker for a few tackles, then Alan Tongue in for a few more, shunting withers out to 5/8 was a worse tactic than Chris Anderson's 1 marker at the start of the year.

Gave us no real chance of playing with any fluency or potency, especially a young side.

Lets hope Neil learns from this and we don't see any of these tactics ever again.

Latest posts