What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another rumour.......

forward pass

Coach
I have it on fairly good authority that Hagan is close to being given the chop at Newcastle. Apparently their management are starting to realise its not going to work.

No great shock if it happens.............

Nah he should help the scorps to get a premiership in the NRL then he can bring some of em down with him. The gibber who is coachin em now sacked my cuz haha (but then again I dont blame him)

Hellsy

Immortal
I think it would be very sad if Newcastle cut Hagan.... just because he has signed with anothe club doesn't mean he won't give his all to them in 2006, and I think Smithy needs to be given room to do his job effectively this year, not have the new coach questioning his every move

The Colonel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
I think it would be very sad if Newcastle cut Hagan.... just because he has signed with anothe club doesn't mean he won't give his all to them in 2006, and I think Smithy needs to be given room to do his job effectively this year, not have the new coach questioning his every move

I would doubt that Hagan would be involved behind the scenes if he were to be cut. Personally I'd find his sacking to be a very likely scenario - given his criticism of the board along with Mark Sargent - I am sure they are looking at anyway they can make it work.

Hellsy

Immortal
But Parra have already said that he will be involved in signings etc for 2007, I don't know.... something doesn't sit right with me

Stagger eel

Staff member
I did hear that Parra to try get him here this year to start working for 07 but Hages basically said to them that he's priority is with Newcastle until the end of the year, it will be sad for Michael because he seems like a real genuine guy however i can assure you he wouldn't be twiddling his thumbs for too long. if he was cut.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
But Parra have already said that he will be involved in signings etc for 2007, I don't know.... something doesn't sit right with me

That is 2007. Parramatta have asked him to stay away from Smith and will confirm the roster with him over the phone. If he were sacked I doubt this would change very much.....

strider

Post Whore
Silly Newcastle.

I agree with Hellsy - Hagan should probably not get involved at Parra this season, its still Smithy's team .... BUT if Smithy was happy for it to happen and Hagan was happy to play the background helper type role I reckon it could work - they both are level headed chappies.

Who knows - maybe Newcastle could seek a swap this season - Hagan for Sharp or JT???

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
That is 2007. Parramatta have asked him to stay away from Smith and will confirm the roster with him over the phone. If he were sacked I doubt this would change very much.....

mate, he was on about 3 different media outlets last week saying that he will have some sort of a say regarding recruitment and retention.

shiftysmith

Juniors
am i the only one or do you guys wish we would have heard something from brian.since there was the word out that he will not have the job in 07 we have not heard a single word..i guess he may really be hurting..

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
mate, he was on about 3 different media outlets last week saying that he will have some sort of a say regarding recruitment and retention.

Which was what I said in a roundabout way. They will talk with him about comings and goings but that he is to stay away from the Club....

The Colonel

Immortal
shiftysmith said:
am i the only one or do you guys wish we would have heard something from brian.since there was the word out that he will not have the job in 07 we have not heard a single word..i guess he may really be hurting..

Not really. Everyone is going to ask the bloke the same thing - How do you feel? I'd guess he just wants to get on with the job and focus on the year ahead rather than media reports about how he feels.....

I dont think he should come out and say why should be bother to comment on it when theres nothing that can be changed. I think he's too busy getting the guys ready for season to care about answeing the zebs from the papers!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think Brian is a massive fan of the media in general he's just not as blunt about as Bennett is.

PB

Bench
Brian would gain nothing from talking to the media, so i am happy for him to keep his mouth shut.

As for Hagan. If he were sacked from the knights, the only reason i would be happy for him to come on board at the Eels would be if it was to replace JT as Premier League caoch if he got a job at the Knights (or elsewhere), at least that way he could look at the players coming off contract. (he knows enough about the first grade players).

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he has to come to us in some capacity if he does get cut loose from Newcastle.

It would make it easier for him - getting to know the staff, facilities, players and, possibly, the fans, would make his job in 2007 much, much easier.

Plus if he got an unrestricted preview of us in 2006 without any other commitments, he can make his own judgements on how we could improve - for instance, he may notice that so-and-so player drops back too much in defence and lets his man get outside him, and does it every play. So he can fix it for 2007.

Latest posts