What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sh*tty crowd in Sid-a-nee

nqboy

First Grade
27000 odd I think I heard. Take the big games to where people will turn up to watch them.

salivor

First Grade
It was too hot lol, fmd Sydney have a whole book of excuses. It's not the right day, it's not the right time, it's not the right ground, it was raining, there were other events on, and now it was too hot.

The "heartland" strikes again. Say goodbye to international league, you've proven you don't give a damn about it.

Moffo

Referee
a few more thousand and people would've said it was a good crowd. i mean really, time to move on to the more important issues like getting rid of everyone associated with the RLIF

salivor

First Grade
Moffo said:
a few more thousand and people would've said it was a good crowd. i mean really, time to move on to the more important issues like getting rid of everyone associated with the RLIF

No anything short of a sell out was going to be a poor crowd. This is supposed Rugby League heartland. Brisbane can get 44k to a match against GB yet Sydney can't even get 30k for the biggest match of the tournament.

Quidgybo

Bench
salivor said:
No anything short of a sell out was going to be a poor crowd. This is supposed Rugby League heartland. Brisbane can get 44k to a match against GB yet Sydney can't even get 30k for the biggest match of the tournament.
To be fair, Sydney had to sell two matches, Brisbane only had to sell one. I think if there'd been just the final in Sydney it would have sold out pretty easily. Still disappointing crowds even taking that into account.

Leigh.

salivor

First Grade
Sydney over 2 matches could only draw 8000 more people than Brisbane drew in one match. That's the reality, I'm not going to buy that argument.

Quidgybo

Bench
salivor said:
Sydney over 2 matches could only draw 8000 more people than Brisbane drew in one match. That's the reality, I'm not going to buy that argument.
Unless Brisbane hosted two matches for comparison, how can you not? Brisbane couldn't sellout one, so you can't just write off the effect on the crowds a second match would have had. IMHO there's no way that you would have still drawn 44,000 for the first game and certainly no where near 44,000 for both. A certain percentage of people would have chosen to go to one over the other. I'm not sayng this fully justifies Sydney's disappointing crowds, just that it makes a disappointing figure a little less disappointing.

Leigh

Jono078

Referee
Would of been great to watch the match from Suncorp..

But the people who went to the game were good, they gave a great atmosphere.

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
Not as much as the 45K+ that will turn up in Brisbane.

Thank god you aint running our game bunnyboy.

Actually you supported a team in Sydney, two wasnt it?...and now you dont....fancy that...part of the problem.

nqboy

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Thank god you aint running our game.
And your attitude is typical of the Sydney-centric bias in the game that we complain so much about. The fact is that people with your attitude do run the game and the game is all the poorer for it.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Brisbane still hold the record for the crappiest test crowd ever. 12000 v Poms a few years back.

Blame the media - who has treated it as of slightly more importance than Jim Beam Cup.

Misty Bee

First Grade
nqboy said:
And your attitude is typical of the Sydney-centric bias in the game that we complain so much about. The fact is that people with your attitude do run the game and the game is all the poorer for it.

And what attitude is that? A refusal to death ride everything that doesn't take place in Queensland? Or a distinct inability to support a different club every year?

Yes, the crowd was poor. Look at more reasons apart from it's location.

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:

And just what is my attitude, bunnyboy?

I'm not the one on here making a negative thread 4 minutes from fulltime after one of the best games of the season...

Thats a downer man !!!! Boooo!
lookalike_s_neil_small.jpg

Quidgybo

Bench
Even with the media and all the other possible reasons, both matches were still 7,000-8,000 short of what they should have been for two games in a RL city the size of Sydney. I would have been happy with 32,000 and 35,000.

Edit: Replace happy with satisfied.

Leigh

Azkatro

First Grade
I think the most pertinent thing to come out of this season is in rep fixtures, Brisbane and Melbourne have both posted excellent crowds based on expectations, but Sydney has gone the other way.

Quidgybo

Bench
Azkatro said:
I think the most pertinent thing to come out of this season is in rep fixtures, Brisbane and Melbourne have both posted excellent crowds based on expectations, but Sydney has gone the other way.
Definitely, both Brisbane and Melbourne have put their best foot forward. IMHO Melbourne should get regular (ie. annual) Test matches and Brisbane should be seriously in the running for the WC Final. Obviously both steps would be at the expense of Sydney but the motivation isn't to necessaily punish Sydney but to reward the other two cities for their support. By spreading the games around more and giving Sydney a little longer break between games it might spark a bit more interest in going when the novelty of international football actually does come to town.

Leigh.

Latest posts