What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sh*tty crowd in Sid-a-nee

Misty Bee

First Grade
salivor said:
BTW, in case Misty hasn't realised the Steelers and Magpies are still represented in the NRL. As for the Bears, they weren't even averaging 10k by the time of their demise so that still wouldn't have filled up all the empty spaces, so whats Sydney's next excuse?

And in case you havent missed it, merged clubs crowds are NOT equal to the sum of the 2 former clubs.

Quidgybo

Bench
Misty Bee said:
It does if there are less clubs to support.
Not if there are more supporters per club. 12,000 per club for 10 clubs is the same support base as 14,000 per club for 8.5 clubs. Push it to 15,000 for 8.5 clubs and you've got an extra 75,000 supporters from which to draw your Test crowd.

Leigh.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
BTW, in case Misty hasn't realised the Steelers and Magpies are still represented in the NRL. As for the Bears, they weren't even averaging 10k by the time of their demise so that still wouldn't have filled up all the empty spaces, so whats Sydney's next excuse?

A LOT of old Jets, Balmain, Wests and Norths fans gave up on the game for good when their teams died, were booted or joined....but what would you know about that, oh old sydney expert you.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Good Chuck. The comment is pretty much always 'yeah naah'

Still waiting on a tri nations comment. I bet I'll get one about mortein instead. :roll:

innsaneink

Referee
Quidgybo said:
How am I deathriding? I was the first one to offer up a defense for why Sydney got the crowds it did.

Leigh.

Sorry mate, that footnote wasnt directed at you.

salivor

First Grade
Their clubs are still represented in the NRL and the Bears are still represented in the NSWRL. This has absolutely no relevance to the support of International Rugby League, and you accuse Charlie of taking the thread off topic lol.

Quidgybo

Bench
innsaneink said:
No problem. I might step out of the conversation at this point anyway. Bed time, if nothing else (5am!).

L

Misty Bee

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
Not if there are more supporters per club. 12,000 per club for 10 clubs is the same support base as 14,000 per club for 8.5 clubs. Push it to 15,000 for 8.5 clubs and you've got an extra 75,000 supporters from which to draw your Test crowd.

Leigh.

1) Is that a SYDNEY club average increase? (no)

2) please name the 8.5 Sydney clubs you are talking about.

Misty Bee

First Grade
salivor said:
Their clubs are still represented in the NRL and the Bears are still represented in the NSWRL. This has absolutely no relevance to the support of International Rugby League, and you accuse Charlie of taking the thread off topic lol.

And you reckon the Bears still jag 11k to a game?

Your top paddock is missing a few cows, mate!

nqboy

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Check my history fool, I'm one of International Footy's staunchest supporters. I'm just down on the Sydney-centric bias in the game and the disdain that Sydney people show for the game by not turning up to support it.

Quidgybo

Bench
Misty Bee said:
1) Is that a SYDNEY club average increase? (no)
I didn't say it was. I was demonstrating the flaw in your logic - fewer clubs does not automatically equal less support. It might or it might not, you'll need to run the figures to know.

2) please name the 8.5 Sydney clubs you are talking about.
Well St George-Illawarra is the 0.5. I think the rest are pretty self evident.

Good night.

Leigh.

salivor

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
And you reckon the Bears still jag 11k to a game?

Your top paddock is missing a few cows, mate!

The Bears werent even averaging 11k by their last season in the NRL, so of course theyre not now. If Sydney test crowds are relying on the Jets, Bears, Magpies, Steelers and Tigers fans that left the game for good to fill out the ground then theyre in trouble. God knows how they manage to get anyone out to SOO matches, finals matches and the GF without these lynch pins on board.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:

Err...I just told you thousands of fans were lost when those clubs were lost, yet it has no relevance?

Quidgy...the deathriding I mentioned. Exhibit A
up_arrow.2.png

Misty Bee

First Grade
But 27000 did!

What is this Sydney centric crap that you are on about? How is the game Sydney centric?

salivor

First Grade
See my post above. Sydney can pack venues for other big league matches. Its a city of 4 million people, league heartland and it cant absorb those losses? It now cant outsell a test match in Melbourne, a city that would be lucky to have 10k league fans? Pull the other one, it has no relevance.

mattyg

Bench
nqboy said:
Check my history fool, I'm one of International Footy's staunchest supporters. I'm just down on the Sydney-centric bias in the game and the disdain that Sydney people show for the game by not turning up to support it.

You and your sydney centric Bullsh*t. We gave a game to each city on the eastern seaboard, we gave a sydney origin game to melbourne ffs. When are you going to get over it?

Ever thought people might turn up because of the distinct lack of media surrounding the game. Let alone the fact that everyone is so tied up in the ashes at the moment, and it was a boiling hot day in Sydney today. Apparently in the paper the other day there was one page on RL, and that was about willie mason supporting cancer. Nothing about tri nations teams, details or anything. The media have been attacking RL all week. Its about time the game is marketed better, especially in Sydney, then we might see some improvement.

bartman

Immortal
Moffo said:
a few more thousand and people would've said it was a good crowd. i mean really, time to move on to the more important issues like getting rid of everyone associated with the RLIF

Should have been better, and a sell out or at least equal to the biggest crowd for the prelim games. Financially and for every other reason, it's time to move finals of interntaional comps to Brisbane, and I say that as a(n ex) Sydneysider, who grew up in the 70s and 80s with Sydney as the undisputed major capital of the game.

I think the evidence is that TV ratings will be just as healthy in Sydney, but in Brisbane the game gets the benefit of a full gate as well.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Quidgey - Your example is flawed, because your figures are flawed.

Illawarra was considered a Sydney team by the NRL, and being closer to the SFS than Penrith or Wests (Campbelltown), would be very much in the equasion. BTW, Saints/Illawaracrowds are NOT double Saints and Steelers crowds.

BTW, good morning ;-)

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
See my post above. Sydney can pack venues for other big league matches. Its a city of 4 million people, league heartland and it cant absorb those losses? It now cant outsell a test match in Melbourne, a city that would be lucky to have 10k league fans? Pull the other one, it has no relevance.

Im not saying its the sole reason, geez louise, didnt think that needed spelling out but it seems it does.
Maybe ...just maybe its a small part of the problem...but just continue on ignoring possible reasons that get thrown up, makes it easier to lay the boot in eh?
Who knows what the problem is?
I dont think its one problem, its a lot of things all combining.

Latest posts