Anthony Griffin available?

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Frank Facer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

We need to step away from this "anyone else will do" mentality. It's dangerous and could set us up for further mediocrity in the future.

Just because Griffin is available, doesn't mean he's the right option for our club. We shouldn't be settling for anything other than an elite coach.

2. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Don’t wake up OD, stay sleeping for all of us.

3. The calm one

The calm one Juniors

NO. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out he comes with a lot of baggage

4. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

What he said...

5. SGMax

SGMax Juniors

I thought like many other posters, influenced by comments from Gould and a few disgruntled ex-players like Segeyaro and Hannant....he is not up to winning a premiership, he lost the dressing room, he is old school.....
    I hope most of the posters had the opportunity to hear Griffin's version on NRL 360 as prior to that, he had not been in the media.
    I am convinced he would be worth considering for a position at the Dragons and he could contribute to the whole organisation in a very positive way. I think he was sacked now cos Gould didn't want him and didn't want to risk making the change once Penrith went deep into the finals.

For what its worth, I would prefer Bennett to return as we have a reasonable roster needing a backline tweak and could be ready for a good tilt at the title similar to the first coming in 2009.
    Otherwise, I think Macguire would be a good fit as we have a similar team to the one he had at Souths when they won the title.

Smurf and Frank Facer like this.
  6. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Why would we change the coach Frank? I thought that if we had the players, including top halfback, the coach didn’t matter...

The Damo likes this.
  7. Crush

Crush Bench

Yessss, that.....ummm.........well.......
    Dammit!

Bests Golden Boots and The Damo like this.
  8. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

Why would we want either McGuire or Griffin. McGuire won a comp with a bash and barge boring game plan but since then Souths could not make the finals and eventually was sacked. Look at Souths go now with basically the same side. Gould run Penrith and their game plans with others, under Griffin this year (except for the Dragons game of course) Penrith's defense is ordinary although their injury toll has been high.
    Bennett for me is passed it and getting too old now. We need to look to the future not rely on the past. Mary is not the future but there are other candidates out there worth considering. For me Toovey leads them all. Let him bring and choose his support staff.

ouryears likes this.
  9. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

WHAT????
    “Choose his own support staff?”
    What’s Young, Hornby, Collins and Head supposed to do then?

If you can’t employ all your old mates what’s the point in even having a club?

merahputih likes this.
  10. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

Yeh sorry forgot about the budget and the Dragons employment psyche entrance test. 20 questions on Dragons club history. And the physical challenge on proving you have bled red and white.

11. Different kind of Rabbit

Different kind of Rabbit Moderator Staff Member

You know things are bad in the coaching department when Anthony Griffin looks like a good option...

12. watatank

watatank Coach

Probably true, but 'settling' for McGregor like we have for the past four years is also dangerous and settting us up for further mediocrity. I get the sense it will be easier to move on from a new appointment like Griffin than keeping McGregor

13. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

There is a small pocket of Hook supporters left at the club. Most deserted him a long time ago.

Price was bad, McGregor far worse. You have no idea just how bad Griffin is in comparison.

Trust me.

14. WA 'S OWN RED V

WA 'S OWN RED V Juniors

Not for us. Where there is smoke there is fire. In this case an inferno. Media sob story. While the timing is bad this his sacking has been coming for 12 months and what career coach looking for a job would admit to losing a dressing shed.
    What's Freddy doing as our half's need some help. Also we need someone from outside who realises dragons footy sux

SEAT 1A likes this.
  15. Warabrook saint

Warabrook saint Juniors

Good luck to us all getting one :beers:

16. Warabrook saint

Warabrook saint Juniors

Bad....it's only been four years...can't change overnight

17. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Well one reason to change the coach, would be to bring in some fresh and new ideas. Another reason to change the coach, is because Mary keeps selecting the wrong players, such as Nightingale, Aitken and Lafai. Another reason is the Mary has now had a very long time for too little success.

18. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

Agree that anyone is an upgrade on Mary but let's look to the stars and not the mud for our next coach. The Sharks and Broncos have been very inconsistent this year under Flanagan and Bennett so I'm not convinced about those two. Bennett is showing all the signs of his famous '"sang froid" coming apart at the seams and may be entering early senility. In my opinion, Hasler is permanently tarnished by poor recruitment, backended deals and the disgraceful brand of football the Bulldogs served up last year. McGuire was not much better towards the end and lost the Souths dressing room as well.
    St George could not beat either club that year so that simply proves that Mary is an exceptionally poor coach who is made to look good by some exceptionally good players like Frizzell who would run through brick walls- until of course their bodies give out towards the end of the year when SGI starts to lose and Mary's lack of coaching nous is exposed for all to see. This is the real reason SGI fade and should be relocated to the Philippines as the Manilla Folders

19. possm

possm First Grade

If I was going to bet on who will be our next coach I'd place it on Dean Young. His father would have done a deal with the Millward family and Doust. The only problem is that if the new ownership happens, all deals will be off - there's a new sheriff in town.

20. avocado

avocado Juniors

Looking at the Panthers as an outsider I see Griffin as a genius compared to our guy.