What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin available?

grouch

First Grade
I'd love to get Griffin.
I really enjoy listening to his commentary and always thought he was hard done by at Panthers.
Yes from me.
I actually like his commentary too.. and with the passage of time it looks increasingly like Phil Gould has lost whatever marbles he had, so I wouldn't trust his judgement at all

Fangs

Coach
Depends on your goals. You won't win a competition with him. Some upsides though.

The Damo

Juniors
I'd love to get Griffin.
I really enjoy listening to his commentary and always thought he was hard done by at Panthers.
Yes from me.
Griffin coached teams are usually good at everything except attacking inside the opposition twenty. And they are usually average at that.
So it’s be a significant improvement in every facet of football for us.
Not my first choice but I’d take it gladly.

ram raid

Bench
Pretty sure you guys will be getting Fitzgibbon and Fitzgibbon is waiting for the St George job.

Exsilium

First Grade
Id have him back at Penrith over the fraud we have now.

He’d build a tough, fit and mentally strong football team with the players you have.

Worth it for a few years. He got our rabble playing to the buzzer each week. You never wrote them off because they mentally and physically stayed in the game.

He’d be good for you.

blacksafake

First Grade
Not sure about him although he’s better than what we have.
I think he can coach & does come across in his commentary that he knows what he’s doing but he supposedly lost the dressing room at the broncos.
As for the panthers, well they were running 4th at the time & by some reports he butted heads with Gould who wanted to have input into the coaching of the team which probably led to him being punted. Some say he can’t coach attack inside the 20 but the panthers have still struggled this year with the origin halves.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
What makes people so sure that Fitzgibbon would even want the job? Just extended for another 3 years at the roosters, is probably very well paid there without the pressure of being head coach and is probably the long term succession plan for Trent Robinson. Why would he want to give that up for a basket case club? Lives near the gong apparently but would be surprised if that alone would be enough incentive.

Frank Facer

First Grade
What makes people so sure that Fitzgibbon would even want the job? Just extended for another 3 years at the roosters, is probably very well paid there without the pressure of being head coach and is probably the long term succession plan for Trent Robinson. Why would he want to give that up for a basket case club? Lives near the gong apparently but would be surprised if that alone would be enough incentive.
Fitzgibbon's father was Illawarra's inaugural coach. He may have links to the club going back to his childhood. He played for us and came through our juniors. He would like the opportunity to coach a first grade team and may think we have the nucleus of a good team, with the addition of a the right players we could be genuine premiership contenders.

There was a recent article on Foxsports that said the reason Fizgibbon didn't put his hand up for the Newcastle or Gold Coast coaching roles, was because he is eyeing off coaching us.

If I was a coach looking for a gig, I would be very interested in taking the job, as I believe I would have the nucleus of a good team to work with, but I wouldn't have been so keen when Mary took over.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maybe this is all about double dipping.

IF our management were smart enough they'd realise that every rookie coach we have put in has been a disaster. However, the fact that Fitzgibbon may be the best candidate sort of throws that into a bit of confusion.

Solution:
Head coach -Fitzgibbon
Coaching advisor - Griffin

Fitzgibbon wouldn't command a high salary as a rookie, and Griffin wouldn't expect a head coaches salary for his role. So, that basically equals 2 coaches for the price of one McGregor.

As they say why not have both?

In saying all of the above I think Wane would be a very good appointment as head coach, he knows his stuff, hard nut and doesn't muck around. He's the type that would get us back on the rails very quickly.