What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin feeling the heat?

Half the problem is Gould talking the team up.
The other half is young players that believe in the rubbish and older players that are bludging.
These young super stars (apart from Cleary) are nothing special at best average first graders.
Penmyth also bought one of the most overrated props in the game and he is crap for you like he was at Cowboys.

From what I know of Gould he is not only talking the hacks up he is interfereing and causing alot of destabilisation

Gould talking up the team?

He's always gone out of his way to do just the opposite actually.

Have you got any examples?

As for the squad there's only one player who has been genuinely overhyped and that's Moylan. Moylan can still be a very good player, perhaps even a long term star but only if he plays in the halves. He's absolutely not a fullback.

Someone blamed the players attitude.

How is the coach not in charge of attitude?

Coach cannot control which players he has, but surely he controls and sets the attitude of who he has.

Shyte coach with great talent.

Absolutely.

Attitude is 100% the coaches area, and with a poor game plan & poor selections is it any wonder the players have a poor attitude?

There's a decent squad here, one I genuinely think is top four material. Which is not something I've said much in thirty years as a panthers fan.

Moylan to 6, dwz to 1. Cartwright to reggies to get some match fitness and form before being considered again.

They also really miss mansour.

They play really poorly/well in patches during a game.

Coach is a scapegoat imo. Attitude needs to improve dramatically and so does Cartwright.

How can you on one hand call the coach a scapegoat & on the other advocate to play Moylan @ 6?

Griffin has steadfastly refused to play Moylan there, its one of the biggest complaints about him. But this isn't his only bizarre selection, there are plenty of others.

As mentioned in a post above, attitude is the coaches area.

GongPanther

Referee
If the rumour is true in regards to an injured player porking another players partner without his knowledge,why are the players still playing like they just met each other yesterday for the 1st time after that player is on the sideline?

This rumour is unfounded,besides the point that the Panthers' poor form has been around since round 1.

So something must have happened between the time we played in the Auckland Nines final were everyone was on song,to the 1st round of the comp.

kbw

Bench
Gould talking up the team?

He's always gone out of his way to do just the opposite actually.

Have you got any examples?

As for the squad there's only one player who has been genuinely overhyped and that's Moylan. Moylan can still be a very good player, perhaps even a long term star but only if he plays in the halves. He's absolutely not a fullback.

Gould said at the beginning of the year that most of the players should be in contention for SOO. Merrin should be NSW Capt. Premiership favourites. It didn't stop from Gould all pre season.

Bryce Cartwright, Campbell-Gillard all terribly overrated. Not to mention Tamou who has been crap for a few years now.
I will give some credit to Wallace though, one of the few really giving everything

Gould said at the beginning of the year that most of the players should be in contention for SOO. Merrin should be NSW Capt. Premiership favourites. It didn't stop from Gould all pre season.

Gould said we were premiership favourites? I flat out don't believe that. Please provide a source.

(The origin talk is just classic confidence building)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bryce is a f**king great footballer, wash your mouth out with soap.

I care nothing for off field stuff.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
This rumour is unfounded,besides the point that the Panthers' poor form has been around since round 1.

So something must have happened between the time we played in the Auckland Nines final were everyone was on song,to the 1st round of the comp.

I think something happened in the pre season training. The change of staff.
Didn't Griffin bring his own people in this year?
I know last year he had to work with Cleary's left overs.
Griffin sacked Tony Guilfoyle while at the Bronco's and now I believe the pair are reunited at the Panthers.
Maybe thats the issue the tinkerings he did in the off season has backfired. They were well off the pace come round 1 and little has changed. And that doesn't even take into account the recruitment of Tamou.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Anthony Griffin in his first season did an amazing job with the Broncos, the team was in turmoil after Ivan Henjak was fired and Griffin was viewed inter-min coach. He led the team to 3rd spot and it was Darren Lockyer cheekbone injury that ended any hopes of a trip to the Grand Final. But yeah the rest of time he was at the Broncos they probably did underachieve despite suffering injuries. But a 53% win/loss record is nothing to sneeze at either.
If you get 53% at a team like the Knights you're a decent coach, 53% at the Broncos is average.

davi

Juniors
If you get 53% at a team like the Knights you're a decent coach, 53% at the Broncos is average.

But you're comment was "Griffin showed nothing at the Broncos", completely disregarding that the Broncos 2011 season where they were one game away from the Grand Final and it was best season at the time since 2006 seaspn. Just pointing out that despite some of Griffin's struggles he did have some success there as well.

Sphagnum

Coach
How can you on one hand call the coach a scapegoat & on the other advocate to play Moylan @ 6?

Griffin has steadfastly refused to play Moylan there, its one of the biggest complaints about him. But this isn't his only bizarre selection, there are plenty of others.

As mentioned in a post above, attitude is the coaches area.

He's short a winger. He may think this is the best make up until mansour is back If he makes the changes I proposed.

It's easy to be critical from the armchair but he has to do what he thinks is best for the most rounded team.

I don't follow Penrith so I don't know what options they have to cover that kind of change.

He's short a winger. He may think this is the best make up until mansour is back If he makes the changes I proposed.

It's easy to be critical from the armchair but he has to do what he thinks is best for the most rounded team.

I don't follow Penrith so I don't know what options they have to cover that kind of change.

He refused to play him there last year too.

And we have a more than adequate replacement in Edwards.

He's not a five eight's asshole though and his defense is f**ken atrocious.

His defence is atrocious and this precious time he could be improving at his natural position is being taken up trying to play 5/8.

Again man you called the coach a scapegoat but it's him making the silly decsions like playing Cartwright at 5/8.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
His defence is atrocious and this precious time he could be improving at his natural position is being taken up trying to play 5/8.

Again man you called the coach a scapegoat but it's him making the silly decsions like playing Cartwright at 5/8.

He has the luxury of calling him a scapegoat because he doesn't have to suffer Griffin at his bloody club.

davi

Juniors
Wow. If this is true then you would have to say Griffin looks cooked. By saying that players are paid to play- Tigers have now gone through 3 coaches now because of player dissatisfaction. Sometimes players have to put their hand up and take ownership rather then just laying it all on the coach. There's got be a fine line.

"Massive rumours coming out of Penrith Panthers today that Matt Moylan and several other players are unhappy with coach Anthony Griffen and may seek an early release in 2018 if he remains head coach."

King hit

Coach
Griffin must be under the pump now, such a poor first half and the team just look completely clueless and lost on either side of the ball. 2 tries against the run of play, had no attempt at stopping a 40/20 and are still persisting with this nonsense of running the ball on the last when you've got Cleary at halfback who can do wonders for you. The way they are playing it's unbelievable that they made the semi finals last year.

They need to use Cleary as the director and get Moylan at five eighth. When Moylan was directing the team around against Brisbane they looked the best they have been and he has created a few chances when he isn't being used as a battering ram.