What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Abacus

Juniors
Story in the SMH about Anthony Griffin and Tariq Sims. Worth a read.
If Sims' account of Griffin is accurate i.e not abbreviated, its easy to see why players may get offside (including our recent high-profile departees). Tariq says he didn't realise until later and implies he may not have liked Hook much at the time.
Hopefully any current Panthers player with any alleged issue with Griffin reads this.
I also hope Hook reads it and appreciate that his comms may need some work.

OldPanther

Coach
If Sims' account of Griffin is accurate i.e not abbreviated, its easy to see why players may get offside (including our recent high-profile departees). Tariq says he didn't realise until later and implies he may not have liked Hook much at the time.
Hopefully any current Panthers player with any alleged issue with Griffin reads this.

Definitely sheds light on Griffin's personality. Some of our players have said they don't hear from him much so with this kind of approach I could definitely see him putting people off him.

Ivan had the same resources at the end. Hook just actually uses Juniors neither coach is entirely responsible
Okay I shall put it this way, Ivan gave Isaiah Yeo, etc, their debut. Hook gave Nathan is debut, both are integral to the success of the panthers this year.

mxlegend99

Referee
He credits Hook for him being an NRL player. But also makes it sound likes his involvement was simply telling him to bulk up and play elsewhere as we're flush with wingers.

His story has Hook barely helping him at all outside of setting a goal and once he achieved it setting him a new one.

Sims just seems to appreciate the goals he was set ultimately helping him become the player he is today. But his own work ethic along with some damn fine trainers and conditioning staff were what made it possible.

Abacus

Juniors
He credits Hook for him being an NRL player. But also makes it sound likes his involvement was simply telling him to bulk up and play elsewhere as we're flush with wingers.

His story has Hook barely helping him at all outside of setting a goal and once he achieved it setting him a new one.

Sims just seems to appreciate the goals he was set ultimately helping him become the player he is today. But his own work ethic along with some damn fine trainers and conditioning staff were what made it possible.

Maybe, but not sure you can accurately cover 2-3 seasons in a few paragraphs. Again, sounds like Hook told Sims something for his, and the team's, benefit. Up to the maturity of the player, and his family, to take the advice and run with it. If the player thinks they're perfect and their shit don't stink, often reinforced by their parents who want little Harry to be a superstar, then they'll throw their toys out of the cot.

Could have been worse. Tell him just keep trying to be a winger behind better options and become 1 of the 97% that never make it from NYC to NRL. A bit of talent identification? Actually, he might make a good recruiter.

mxlegend99

Referee
Okay I shall put it this way, Ivan gave Isaiah Yeo, etc, their debut. Hook gave Nathan is debut, both are integral to the success of the panthers this year.
In order of making their debuts, here's the list for both coaches. You can see the quality of players increase for the most part as time goes on.

Players to debut in Ivan Clearys time here:

2012 - Ryan Simpkins
2012 - Mitch Achurch
2012 - Josh Mansour
2012 - Matt Robinson
2012 - Adam Docker
2012 - Tom Eisenhuth
2013 - Matt Moylan
2013 - Sam Anderson
2014 - Isaah Yeo
2014 - Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2014 - Bryce Cartwright
2014 - Will Smith
2014 - Kieran Moseley
2015 - Reagan Campbell-Gillard
2015 - George Jennings
2015 - Waqa Blake
2015 - Robert Jennings
2015 - Leilani Latu
2015 - Sione Katoa
2015 - Chris Smith

During Hooks time here:
2016 - James Fisher-Harris
2016 - Te Maire-Martin
2016 - Nathan Cleary
2016 - Moses Leota
2016 - Dylan Edwards
2017 - Villiame Kikau
2017 - Corey Harawira-Naera
2017 - Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
2017 - Tyrone May
2018 - Christian Crichton
2018 - Wade Egan
2018 - Kaide Ellis
2018 - Jack Hetherington
2018 - Jarome Luai

Each year since Gus arrived the quality of players in our lower grades has gotten steadily better. So there are less duds being brought up when called upon.

Brennan and Ciraldo have done epic things for that quality going up too. But it was Gus who put that focus on our juniors and not all go on to be stars. But from 2014 onwards our strike rate at developing stars has gotten better.

Josh Mansour wasnt developed by us. Matt Moylan was a fluke really. So in Clearys first 2 seasons here our depth wasnt nearly as good as it was since 2014. That's when changes became effective. That's just guys we gave a chance. Probably a few others who made debuts elsewhere too.

Last edited:
In order of making their debuts, here's the list for both coaches. You can see the quality of players increase for the most part as time goes on.

Players to debut in Ivan Clearys time here:

2012 - Ryan Simpkins
2012 - Mitch Achurch
2012 - Josh Mansour
2012 - Matt Robinson
2012 - Adam Docker
2012 - Tom Eisenhuth
2013 - Matt Moylan
2013 - Sam Anderson
2014 - Isaah Yeo
2014 - Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2014 - Bryce Cartwright
2014 - Will Smith
2014 - Kieran Moseley
2015 - Reagan Campbell-Gillard
2015 - George Jennings
2015 - Waqa Blake
2015 - Robert Jennings
2015 - Leilani Latu
2015 - Sione Katoa
2015 - Chris Smith

During Hooks time here:
2016 - James Fisher-Harris
2016 - Te Maire-Martin
2016 - Nathan Cleary
2016 - Moses Leota
2016 - Dylan Edwards
2017 - Villiame Kikau
2017 - Corey Harawira-Naera
2017 - Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
2017 - Tyrone May
2018 - Christian Crichton
2018 - Wade Egan
2018 - Kaide Ellis
2018 - Jack Hetherington
2018 - Jarome Luai

Each year since Gus arrived the quality of players in our lower grades has gotten steadily better. So there are less duds being brought up when called upon.

Brennan and Ciraldo have done epic things for that quality going up too. But it was Gus who put that focus on our juniors and not all go on to be stars. But from 2014 onwards our strike rate at developing stars has gotten better.

Josh Mansour wasnt developed by us. Matt Moylan was a fluke really. So in Clearys first 2 seasons here our depth wasnt nearly as good as it was since 2014. That's when changes became effective. That's just guys we gave a chance. Probably a few others who made debuts elsewhere too.
Point taken.

mxlegend99

Referee
Point taken.
Oh that wasnt a dig at you. Or anyone really.

Just a list which shows s pretty huge improvement in quality over time.

Not including guys we signed from elsewhere and gave a run. Like Whare, Peachey, Segeyaro etc. Ivan made more changes then given credit for.

When Ivan was here we had to hit other teams up to fill gaps. Yet for some reason people look back at him as if he refused to give players a run.

Pomoz

Bench
Eels have the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL . Even Bulldogs have seen their mistakes and are working to fix them.

They thought an $850k contract to a broken down Watmough was a good idea.

They compounded that by cheating the salary cap to add Keiran Foran also.
Theyve thrown overs to get Mitch Moses at the club. Based on his flashy games and zero consistency
Theythrew overs at Corey Norman to keep him after his drug scandal knowing damn well what sort of person he is off the field..

They have a pisshead in Michael Jennings at the club also (which is fine if he were the only one) and think Blake Ferguson of all people is a good signing

But wait they've thrown overs at Paulo to come home.. and he was part of the Segeyaro snd Norman downward spiral

Only rumoured at this stage, but theyre supposedly interested in Segeyaro too.tjose 3 need to be reunited.

Lots of good individual players in the right environment. But I expect them to continue the Eels down this path of disaster. They need personalities like Yeo, Cleary, Merrin etc.(off the field personality I mean) to help fix their culture.

Despite all that Will Smith is still their worst signing.
Great post. Gus said that he recruited players for their personality and what they do off the field just as much as what they do on the field. Im sure he said something like Ciraldo was hired because we needed players to show the youngsters how to behave and what it takes to be a first grader. He acknowledged that Ciraldo was a journeyman (backhanded compliment or what!).

Oh that wasnt a dig at you. Or anyone really.

Just a list which shows s pretty huge improvement in quality over time.

Not including guys we signed from elsewhere and gave a run. Like Whare, Peachey, Segeyaro etc. Ivan made more changes then given credit for.

When Ivan was here we had to hit other teams up to fill gaps. Yet for some reason people look back at him as if he refused to give players a run.
Yeah I know, and I didn't take it like that. Your points were spot on.

mxlegend99

Referee
Great post. Gus said that he recruited players for their personality and what they do off the field just as much as what they do on the field. Im sure he said something like Ciraldo was hired because we needed players to show the youngsters how to behave and what it takes to be a first grader. He acknowledged that Ciraldo was a journeyman (backhanded compliment or what!).
Calling him a journeyman was being generous on his football skill. But goddamn has he proven to be an asset in developing players.

I hope Peter Wallace can be the same for us.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Griffin might end up back home himself if we finish the year well.

You have information then ? I notice when asked this question 'fangs' you begin to 'play' games. Until such time as you come clean i put you're claims in the bins with the 'News Ltd' jurno types. :p:D