What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Dolphins fans on here?

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
What will you do if he leaves Warriors for DolphiNS?

The Matt Lodge signing at the time was on the top of a lot of things going wrong internally at Brisbane. The club's ethos had done a complete 180 in my view as it became more desperate for on-field success that they thought would always come. The signing of Lodge was the "straw that broke the camel's back", and I made my peace with it a couple of seasons ago after being a frustrated fan without a club for a good few years.

It has been a long four and a bit years less "a team to support", and I was always confident QLD was going to get a fourth team given a license by the NRL and held the view that whoever got the 17th license, that was my new club. The process took longer than I'd have liked, though I am happy that it was the Dolphins granted the 17th license as I have old family ties with the Redcliffe club. It could not have worked out any better to be honest!

I accept there will always been an undesireable element of player at any club - let's be real - though if the Dolphins had to sign Matt Lodge, it is what it is. I wouldn't personally do it, my approach would be to sign the man before the player and the actions by Lodge in 2015 told me all I needed to know about him ("If someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."), though I have to defer to Wayne Bennett and Peter O'Sullivan. Having Bennett as coach provides some comfort if Lodge was signed.

Do I hope we sign Matt Lodge? No.

Will I walk away from the Dolphins in 2022 if they sign him? No. A lot of water has passed under the bridge, and my walking away from the Broncos was due to the leadership at the club (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Peter O'Sullivan is Matt Lodge's Father In Law so there's a reasonable chance.
Yeah so you'll see a media article saying so and so sydney club has pulled the contract away from lodge last minute, and now he has nowhere left to go but SL, oh wait, look here Wayne has an opening at the Dolphins

🙋‍♂️

I am a former Brisbane Bronco fan (1988-2017) and handed back my membership held with the club once Matt Lodge was signed in November of 2017. The club put winning ahead of its culture. I had had enough. It was the final straw for me. This was no longer the club I had grown to love. The club was a mess, and have proven to be just that since the 2018 season.

“You reap what you sow.”

With no NRL club to follow since 2018, I was afforded a unique opportunity to watch rugby league unemotionally invested in one team. This all changed with the NRL’s announcement on 13 October 2021 granting The Dolphins the 17th NRL license. The announcement provided me a club I could once again throw my 100% support and passion for rugby league behind.
The NRL needs to grow some balls and kick the Broncos out for not being a BRL club. A neutral branded "profits first" club like the Broncos is unable to represent the rich history of the BRL from 1909 until 1987. The Broncos' licence should be handed to Easts Tigers.

The rate the Tigers are going I'll be one this time next year. The Fins will make the finals before Wests do again.

f**ken useless merkins...

The Matt Lodge signing at the time was on the top of a lot of things going wrong internally at Brisbane. The club's ethos had done a complete 180 in my view as it became more desperate for on-field success that they thought would always come. The signing of Lodge was the "straw that broke the camel's back", and I made my peace with it a couple of seasons ago after being a frustrated fan without a club for a good few years.

It has been a long four and a bit years less "a team to support", and I was always confident QLD was going to get a fourth team given a license by the NRL and held the view that whoever got the 17th license, that was my new club. The process took longer than I'd have liked, though I am happy that it was the Dolphins granted the 17th license as I have old family ties with the Redcliffe club. It could not have worked out any better to be honest!

I accept there will always been an undesireable element of player at any club - let's be real - though if the Dolphins had to sign Matt Lodge, it is what it is. I wouldn't personally do it, my approach would be to sign the man before the player and the actions by Lodge in 2015 told me all I needed to know about him ("If someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."), though I have to defer to Wayne Bennett and Peter O'Sullivan. Having Bennett as coach provides some comfort if Lodge was signed.

Do I hope we sign Matt Lodge? No.

Will I walk away from the Dolphins in 2022 if they sign him? No. A lot of water has passed under the bridge, and my walking away from the Broncos was due to the leadership at the club (or lack thereof).

Hate Matt Lodge enough to make you leave the Broncos, but you'll be asking for his autograph if he signs with your new team. Okay.

So basically, Brisbane started to suck on the field a bit, you got sick of losing and used the Matt Lodge thing as an excuse. The type of mental gymnastics on display definitely makes you a Redcliffe fan alright.

I'll let the WA Bears know you're on the way once Redcliffe have a few losses.

blaza88z

Coach
Hate Matt Lodge enough to make you leave the Broncos, but you'll be asking for his autograph if he signs with your new team. Okay.

So basically, Brisbane started to suck on the field a bit, you got sick of losing and used the Matt Lodge thing as an excuse. The type of mental gymnastics on display definitely makes you a Redcliffe fan alright.

I'll let the WA Bears know you're on the way once Redcliffe have a few losses.

Ex-Bronco fans can spin it anyway they want, when it comes down to it what they weren't prepared to do was support a losing team because outside of this recent period the club has never really has a sustained period of consistent failure. Some "fans" just don't know what to do.

Ex-Bronco fans can spin it anyway they want, when it comes down to it what they weren't prepared to do was support a losing team because outside of this recent period the club has never really has a sustained period of consistent failure. Some "fans" just don't know what to do.
Weakest fans in the comp

kit66

Bench
I'm a Dragon but live in Brisbane now and miss going to Dragons games every other week so I might take on the Dolphins as a second team and go to some games. I like North's Devils in the local league but being able to get along to a Dolphins NRL game whenever I'm in the mood will be a bonus. All I get of the Dragons is vs Broncs ( who I despise ) and the Titans at Robina ( a truly soulless footy ground with no atmosphere ) so Dolphins vs Parra or Manly or the Bunnies will be great and the colours Red & White will help.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You don’t think covid had something to do with fan Drop off in 20&21?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm a Dragon but live in Brisbane now and miss going to Dragons games every other week so I might take on the Dolphins as a second team and go to some games. I like North's Devils in the local league but being able to get along to a Dolphins NRL game whenever I'm in the mood will be a bonus. All I get of the Dragons is vs Broncs ( who I despise ) and the Titans at Robina ( a truly soulless footy ground with no atmosphere ) so Dolphins vs Parra or Manly or the Bunnies will be great and the colours Red & White will help.
Is there anyone who has dolphins as their first club? Lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, I don't believe covid is the reason Ex-Bronco fans are now supporting the Dolphins
One, it’s not a very big sample Lol. Not to mention he fell out of love for them when they finished 5th in the table so hardly in response to results was it?

Last edited:

JamesRustle

First Grade
Yeah, I live in MB. Dragons supporter. Great to have a team close.
I can’t stand what is happening to my club. The board and ownership for decades have been killing it to the point it isn’t the club I use to support. Good opportunity to adopt a second team and see how they sit with me
As an added bonus, you can just replace a few words in your favorite song - Puff the magic Dragon/Dolphin lived by/in the sea - depending on which of your teams you are watching.