What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news on backup hooker for 2014?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
With Iosefa apparently gone for 2014 is there any news for a backup hooker to Farah?

There was the rumour we were chasing Halatau (a ex WT player). There is also Politoni and John Morris of contract at seasons end both with Cronulla and ex WT players.

All were pretty good hookers. Morris is 32, Halatau 30 and Politoni 22 yrs old. Should we make a play for one of them specifically as a back up for Farah? Morris is the best defensively and can do backrow back up similarly Halatau can do same. Politoni has youth on his side. I'd imagine none of them would be asking the moon for salary.

Thoughts?

I'd probably go with looking for sign both Morris & Politoni for 2 year contracts. Morris could see out his career and provide the back up and Politoni could be developed further to take over from Farah as a long term replacement.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Politoni is the only option.

Younger, Cheaper and better in attack than the other 2.

moller

Juniors
I wouldn't bother spending anything significant at all on a backup hooker, certainly wouldn't chase anyone from outside the club
What's Luani's contract situation?

gronkathon

First Grade
Happy with Luani at this stage. Politini would be a great get though.

Cherrington is likely another 18 months to two years off NRL in terms of physicality

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Wasnt Politini with us already? What am I missing?

Politoni was let go by Sheens as he didn't like him and shifted to Cronulla, where again he is behind a log-jam of hookers. He should never have been let go. Should have been kept at WT, encouraged and been there as understudy to Farah.

Cherrington is a keeper...but green atm.
I wouldnt buy a backup. Anasta, Fulton, Cherrington....
Id leave cap space if possible for a backup to bring someone in for if Robbie had a significant injury.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cherington looks great but also looks like he weighs about 70kgs, nowhere near first grade.

FrOm what I've seen of Luani he is already a better player then iosefa.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
OP should be shot for even contemplating the return of that f**king spastic John Morris.

I did not mention, or even hint, he would play anywhere near halfback position. He is a good defender, good enough hooker and fit. He didn't miss a match when he played for us.

Yep, he was part of a failed Sheens brainwave for halfback, but we shouldn't overlook his true capability in the forwards and as a defender.

magpie guy

Juniors
Morris is a decent hooker but just not required for the sake of playing 3 games a season. No way would he come from the Sharks to play State Cup. Lets just get a youngster to understudy Farah and promote from within. No need to waste cap space.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Definitely try get Politoni back, agreed he should have never been let go.

There's a hooker at Souths, Apisai Koroisau who is a bit of a Segeyaro type hooker, adds plenty of spark when he comes on, and he too is behind a log jam of hookers at the club (Luke, Peats, McInnes) and would make first grade in any team imo. Off contract at the end of the year, great talent.

Matchball

Bench
The club needs NRL intervention. its beyond a joke now.
Clean the board out.
Sort out the Rozelle site.
Appoint a neutral board with no ties to Balmain or Wests.

Latest posts