What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
From Souths Logan Website :

The team that would become the mighty Souths Logan Magpies started in 1909 as South Brisbane. At the end of World War One the name was changed to Carltons, the ‘West End Boys’ as they were known, were a formidable team. They won the First Grade Premiership in 1921, 1925 and 1930, were runners-up in 1928 and won the Club Championship in 1931. The Carltons’ Second Grade team won the silverware in 1924, 1929, 1931 and 1932, while the Third Grade team were victorious in 1922. In their first year, 15,000 people flocked to their home ground at Davies Park (Bill Tyquin Oval) West End to watch Queensland play New Zealand.

In 1933, the Carltons became Southern Suburbs and were dubbed the Magpies. The Maggies would go on to win the Minor Premiership six times (1949, 51, 53, 81, 85 & 88) the Premiership six times (1945, 49, 51, 53, 81 & 85), were runners-up eight times (1942, 47, 63, 79, 80, 82, 84 & 96) and won the Club Championship five times (1946, 48, 80, 83 & 84). Other illustrious trophies include a Chairman’s Trophy (1993), four Presidents Cups, four Peter Hickey Cups, three Pike Cups, two Peter Scott Memorial Trophies, two Pre-Season Trophies, a Kaye Cup, Vic Jensen Cup, Redcap Cup and a 4IP Cup in 1972.

Last edited:

The Preacher

First Grade
I first started watching film of the BRL when Souths went up to Brisbane end of season in the mid-late 60's.
They used to show the BRL Grand Final replay in the Rothmans Theatre at the Easter Show and we'd watch Ross Strudwick play after he left Saints and went to Valleys.
I followed the Norths Devils when my sprint coach, Bruce Warwick, went up there after playing in Sydney with Balmain and Norths. He set a few point scoring records while at Norths, both in Sydney and Brisbane.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I currently work with an old BRL head goes by the name of Alan Mills. i watched one of his old GF's a couple of months back interesting to see Wally Lewis n big Mal running around on that day.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Alan Mills was a wonderful fullback for Valleys in the 1970's. Fast and elusive, he was part of a great Valleys era.

Played in five Grand Finals - 1972, 1973, 1974, 1978 and 1979, winning three of them.

zulu

Juniors
I remember watching Allan Mills put a massive step on Colin Scott (from a standing start) first pass off a scrum and racing 45m to score back in his final year of BRL in 1983. He was playing for the mighty Devils at the time of course.

Titanic

First Grade
lol... I remember a certain Campbell Dews aka Zulu never stepping at all for the Devils because he never needed to... just ran over 'em.

bender

Juniors
Alan Mills was a wonderful fullback for Valleys in the 1970's. Fast and elusive, he was part of a great Valleys era.

Played in five Grand Finals - 1972, 1973, 1974, 1978 and 1979, winning three of them.

One of the all time greats, without a doubt. Would have been close to as successful as say a Matt Bowen if he was running around in todays NRL.

Titanic

First Grade
Roger Kuhn was better ;-)

Couldn't tackle either.

Peter Lobegeiger (Norths) or Greg McCarthy (Wests) for mine :sarcasm: and who could forget Bunny Pearce (Redcliffe)? Bob Patterson (Wynnum) and Gary Dobrich (Souths) were around too.

Who was playing 1 for the Fish then... Bennett/Dauth/Thomas?

dubopov

Coach
lol... I remember a certain Campbell Dews aka Zulu never stepping at all for the Devils because he never needed to... just ran over 'em.

As a Brothers supporter, it would be remiss of me not to mention the legendary Chips Harrington who was the steamroller of all steamrollers.

shorepatrol

Juniors
sawasdee from the land of smiles.:D
followed brothers when i lived in Brisbane,now along with valley and newtown gone cont see how this good for the game.in 1976 brothers leagues club [without poker machines] made a bigger profit then wests in Sydney and then a few years later are broke.one or two blokes should hang there heads in shame for what they did.:sto::fist:

Dazzat

First Grade
Couldn't tackle either.

Peter Lobegeiger (Norths) or Greg McCarthy (Wests) for mine :sarcasm: and who could forget Bunny Pearce (Redcliffe)? Bob Patterson (Wynnum) and Gary Dobrich (Souths) were around too.

Who was playing 1 for the Fish then... Bennett/Dauth/Thomas?

Greg McCarthy on his day was the best fullback ... from memory I think he was injury prone unfortunately. Had an uncanny knack of slipping out of tackles.

Bunny Pierce ... was a good player but looked so awkward even clumsy on the field.

Titanic

First Grade
As a Brothers supporter, it would be remiss of me not to mention the legendary Chips Harrington who was the steamroller of all steamrollers.

Chips was a classic alright but I'd put our very own (Wests) late great Max "Bear" Williamson in there too. How about Paul "Darkie" Kahn for Easts? And I ran into Nick Nicolau in Innisfail not so long back.

While on the subject of nostalgia, I couldn't go passed the memory of facing the silver ghost Ross Threlfo, eagle-neck Marty Scanlan and the timeless Mick Rechless ... Valleys were legends then.

Last edited:

shorepatrol

Juniors
who was the QLD fullback that played reserve grade for st George in the 1962 grand final v wests? answer soon.

Latest posts