What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any player ever looked genuinely scared?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just saw that classic Origin footage of Mark Geyer screaming at Wally Lewis, and I started thinking - has there ever been a time that anyone can recall where a fight broke out/was about to break out and one guy went so psychotic, got so fired up, that the guy he was about to smash looked scared?

Because every time you see it on the field nobody (rightfully) backs down. But what if the guy who fired up was an actual psycho and he was so fired up you really feared for your safety?

St.John

Juniors
Just saw that classic Origin footage of Mark Geyer screaming at Wally Lewis, and I started thinking - has there ever been a time that anyone can recall where a fight broke out/was about to break out and one guy went so psychotic, got so fired up, that the guy he was about to smash looked scared?

I find it difficult to believe that Lewis was scared at that point.

Or indeed at any point. Ever!

Bazal

Post Whore
Billy Slater looked pretty scared running away from John Skandalis and hiding behind a team mate...cat

Eelementary

Post Whore

No, no - I'm not saying Lewis was scared. In fact he stood up to big MG and I was bloody impressed.

My point was - can anyone ever recall a time where a huge unit looked like he was so angry that the guy he was going to smash thought to himself, "Oh, sh*t - he's MAD now!"

Bazal

Post Whore
Trent Barrett after punching PJ Marsh from behind, when he looked up and saw Cayless, Hindmarsh and Tahu bearing down on him....

Loudstrat

Coach
Wally looked scared only 12 times in his whole career. That was when he found himself on the same field as one B. Kenny in a sky blue jumper. ;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ok, a different spin on it:

Has there ever been anyone that got so fired up and so angry and consumed with anger that he just wouldn't calm down until he was sin-binned/sent off?

Being that this is a physical sport, and a team sport where camaraderie plays a huge role, I figured there'd be at least one instance where one player got so infuriated, so blinded by white-hot rage that the bloke he was up against would seriously be thinking, "sh*t...I really pissed him off..."

Loudstrat

Coach

Trent Barrett after punching PJ Marsh from behind, when he looked up and saw Cayless, Hindmarsh and Tahu bearing down on him....

:lol: That was a classic.

Also, the same Trent Barrett when his coach strode onto Brookie and slapped his face.

Wayne Bennet leaving customs at Brisbane Airport in November 2005.

Bazal

Post Whore

Has there ever been anyone that got so fired up and so angry and consumed with anger that he just wouldn't calm down until he was sin-binned/sent off?

David Peachy at Parramatta in 2003....74-4 and it was almost all down to him:lol:

Danish

Referee
Every dog within reach looked a little freaked out when Morley kneed Hughes in his last game.

Mason in particular went in as a reflex, and then you could see him starting to back off with a few quiet words when he realised no one was in there with him :lol:

If any other player in the comp had kneed an opposing player so blatantly there would have been a stink, and a big one at that. Shows you how much respect (or fear) players had for Morley's toughness

...... not that his dog-act of kneeing Hughes was tough. Still.... it WAS Corey Hughes

Loudstrat

Coach

A few spring to mind. Joey on the day he called the ref a merkin.

Tallis whenever Harrigan spok to him in Origin.

Dave Peachey v Parra on that infamous night against the Eels.

bartman

Immortal
Yep, classic! :lol:

I'd like to add "hardman" Ron Gibbs, in a 1986 mid-week cup game against Parramatta when big Geoff Budgen was chasing him around the field... (that's for the scaredy cat bit, not the too angry bit).

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Every dog within reach looked a little freaked out when Morley kneed Hughes in his last game.

Mason in particular went in as a reflex, and then you could see him starting to back off with a few quiet words when he realised no one was in there with him :lol:

If any other player in the comp had kneed an opposing player so blatantly there would have been a stink, and a big one at that. Shows you how much respect (or fear) players had for Morley's toughness

...... not that his dog-act of kneeing Hughes was tough. Still.... it WAS Corey Hughes

I love Morley. OK, kneeing someone in the head is low. But still - Moz was the man.

Phillips

Referee

Can we say the same for Greg Bird when he kneed Marteene :sarcasm:

Canard

Immortal
Morley backed down like a Mongrel dog from Paul Rauhihi in the 2004 semi, after Ricketson took a cheap shot on Fien from behind.

Danish

Referee
I dont recall them squaring off, but either way I doubt it.

And ricko hit him from the side ;-)..... bit hard to knock someone's front teeth out from the back

Latest posts