What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody who rates todays test an equal of SOO is a tripper!

DIEHARD

----
Remember the Poms were beating us for most of a game with only 12 men after Morley got sent off 30 seconds into the match.

strong_latte

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Remember the Poms were beating us for most of a game with only 12 men after Morley got sent off 30 seconds into the match.
I know!! They were playing bloody well! The passion and eagerness of that great britain side to beat Australia was unbeleivable! More passion than any queenslander even! But think about it, the poms utterly despise us in the league (as with most sports) because they just CANNOT beat us, so every match they are more and more desperate to show us up! If you watch the super league, the commentators are always talking about the world club challenge and how to beat the aussies etc... they hate us way more than Qlders and NSWelshmen hate each other.

sunny

I watched most of Australia-GBI series last year and thought it was pretty good, although the Australian side was understrength and this probably helped the Brits catch up a bit. But comparing yesterdays game to SOO or, as one bloke said, the entire RWC of last year is just ludicrous.

strong_latte

Juniors
sunny said:
I watched most of Australia-GBI series last year and thought it was pretty good, although the Australian side was understrength and this probably helped the Brits catch up a bit. But comparing yesterdays game to SOO or, as one bloke said, the entire RWC of last year is just ludicrous.

No offence, but the RWC final and the NZ V Aus semi shat all over Origin in terms of intensity and quality of play... If you don't like or understand union then you may think otherwise, but other than that no one would say last years RWC final was inferior to origin.

In-goal

Bench
It was a great game..... the tri-nations concept does havethe potential to equal SOO. I guess only time will tell.

I would think could Surpass.

Test Football has much larger potential than SOO ever will it's just a matter of when Australia loses total dominace that people will realise that there are much better players not involved in SOO.

i.e. Sonny Bill, Nathan Cayless, Ruben Wiki, Stuart Fielden, Jamie Peacock, Keith Senior and the list goes on. Ch.9 have decided to run with the Tri Nation lets just hope that they are given more than reward for what could be the begining of a very special series.

ali

Bench
I'd much rather watch a test Match than an Origin. Having said that I'll sit on the fence and say it was better than some Origins but not as good as others.

In general though, the Tri nations concept has great potential to rival origin in the hearts of the Aussie public. We just need the poms and Kiwis to stand up, and some good promotion. Then hopefully the media and general public will jump on board.

I think the poms have some great young players such as Diskin and McGuire, so hopefully they'll knock us over in at least one of the Tri series games.

Then when they come good I'll get back to hating them.

strong_latte

Juniors
ali said:
I'd much rather watch a test Match than an Origin. Having said that I'll sit on the fence and say it was better than some Origins but not as good as others.

In general though, the Tri nations concept has great potential to rival origin in the hearts of the Aussie public. We just need the poms and Kiwis to stand up, and some good promotion. Then hopefully the media and general public will jump on board.

I think the poms have some great young players such as Diskin and McGuire, so hopefully they'll knock us over in at least one of the Tri series games.

Then when they come good I'll get back to hating them.

They could start by putting the matches in England on during the day so we have a chance of watching it live though...

Iafeta

Referee
sunny said:
pfft what a load of crap. That test was no where near the standard of origin....the kiwis had to cheat by providing a small field even to just draw, how sad. Also, how come any time any intl rl match is remotely exciting, close, or skilful, or even something vaguely resembling a game of football, the same ol' people always come out and say 'THIS IS THE REBIRTH OF INTL RUGBY LEAGUE IT IS GOING TO TAKE OVER INTL UNION, STATE OF ORIGIN blah blah blah'......if it is so good, shouldn't we get good games and contest all the time?

What a load of bollocks. If you only knew what you were writing about it'd be worth reading the entirity of.

As Daniel Anderson said, there is no rules in the international rulebook stating the field must be 68m. Thats an NRL rule, not an international rule.

Don't believe everything Gus Gould says mate. If anything, the Australians stuffed up by not at least scouting the field a bit.

Iafeta

Referee
sunny said:
You are probably factually correct dimitri, but I think this a classic example of whats wrong with intl rl (well one of the many things wrong with it anyway). There should be an iron clad rule- the field must be (insert amount) long by (insert amount) wide and the in goals must be (insert amount) in size. If a stadium isn't big enough then it shouldn't be allowed to host a game. Things in intl league must be made to aspire up to certain standards, rather than having the standards pander to them and their incompetencies. Can't find a decent fullback, NZ? Don't worry, you can pick Brent Webb, even though he's from Cairns. Not good enough to make the Australian team, Johnny So and so? Don't worry, your great grandmother was from (insert crap country here) you can play for them. If intl rl wants to survive and earn a bit of respect, it has to encourage excellence rather than mediocrity, and be realistic rather than idealistic. sh*t like this- the field size issue, selection stupidities, OH MY GOD AUSTRALIA DIDNT WIN BY 1000-0, INTL LEAGUE IS BACK!- only encourages mediocrity, which in the end I feel can only lead to a death sentence for what was once a decent intl game of good standard.

Just like you can pick Karmichael Hunt, who's from New Zealand? Or Tonie Carroll, who's from Christchurch and has represented New Zealand already?

Gutter trash post.

Iafeta

Referee
sunny said:
I don't follow union much, but if that is the case, scotland union is a joke. Intl sport should be about where you are from, not where your parents/grandparents/deaf third uncle with three fingers are from or where you live or ply your trade in the club arena.

Tatyiana Grogorieva? Kostya Tzyu? Fair dinkum Aussies mate?

JasonE

Bench
I get annoyed with people repeatedly saying that Australia had x amount of players out last year when GB were without 13 top players as well, guys like Cunningham, Pryce and Wellens etc

dimitri

First Grade
JasonE said:
I get annoyed with people repeatedly saying that Australia had x amount of players out last year when GB were without 13 top players as well, guys like Cunningham, Pryce and Wellens etc

i agree

typical ignorance from people who dont know shit

The Clan

Juniors
Especialy when the majority of the so called weaker squad also make up the full squad chosen this year and the squad for Test matches prior to last years tour of the UK.

KFC

Juniors
The rule should be that you play for the country you were born in.

If K. Hunt and B Marshall end up playing for Australia, it will make a mockery of the rules.

JK

International sh!ts all over origin in the amount of passion it can inspire.

I'm sorry but except for Alfie's comeback (and I am not an Alfie fan) Origin lacks the tribalism apparent in Internationals.

dimitri

First Grade
JK said:
International sh!ts all over origin in the amount of passion it can inspire.

I'm sorry but except for Alfie's comeback (and I am not an Alfie fan) Origin lacks the tribalism apparent in Internationals.

agree 100%

:!:

Iafeta

Referee
KFC said:
The rule should be that you play for the country you were born in.

If K. Hunt and B Marshall end up playing for Australia, it will make a mockery of the rules.

Benji Marshall has confirmed his allegiance to New Zealand, no ifs, no buts.

cutie has done the dirty, but I'm happy enough with Wibby. An eye for an eye.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
mullup said:
Not a bad game today considering the conditions. Just don't come at me with this "as good as origin" bullsh*t... only a closet kiwi or pommy would trot out that kinda crap. :shock:

Coming from England i dont care about origin, same goes for NZ! In the Tri Nations Oz,GB and NZ all want to win which ensures that the Tri-Nation is the way forward.

In time this should hopefully bring the tri nations standard higher as this comp will be the ultimate in RL.

As for your opinion on the standards at present i beleiev they are comparable...shall we make our opinions after the tri-nations has been played rather than before a REAL int comp has actually taken place for the first time?

nickdraperfto

Juniors
strong_latte said:
DIEHARD said:
I know!! They were playing bloody well! The passion and eagerness of that great britain side to beat Australia was unbeleivable! More passion than any queenslander even! But think about it, the poms utterly despise us in the league (as with most sports) because they just CANNOT beat us, so every match they are more and more desperate to show us up! If you watch the super league, the commentators are always talking about the world club challenge and how to beat the aussies etc... they hate us way more than Qlders and NSWelshmen hate each other.

Agreed! I English...and hate arrogant aussies :D...and yeah we CANNOT beat us.

But...The poms beating oz is the new black!

Latest posts