What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Brave enough to call the Grand Final teams yet ?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lucablight said:
Marshall played in 2004 as well. Prince obviously had nothing to do with the premiership. It was all Marshall.

No, Marshall got injured in early 2004 and the Tigers went nowhere. Marshall played his ONLY full season to date in 2005 and the Tigers won the GF playing electrifying attacking rugby league. Not a coincidence.

Benji has ALREADY won a Grand Final and been absolutely outstanding in the biggest pressure games of all, to suggest that he isn't the sort of marquee/superstar player who can get his team over the line in a GF is completely geniused.

And history shows, clearly, that you need AT LEAST ONE player in the halves who is going to dominate, in order to win. Clearly, Marshall is that sort of player whereas Smith, Finch, Rovelli, Witt, are not at the same level. The absolute minimum requirement would be Brent Sherwin on form + an outstanding set of forwards ala 2004....

Manly have Orford and Lyon, Melbourne have Inglis and Cronk, Tigers have Marshall, Cowboys have Thuston, and the Dogs have Sherwin....in my most humble and sincere opinion, these are the only teams with halves who I can foresee being good enough to take them all the way to the title. Personally I doubt the Cows can win it, but the other four are the teams to watch....the Warriors imo will flatter to deceive, but won't quite be good enough in the biggest games of all due to a lack of inspiration from Witt or Rovelli.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Thierry Henry
No, Marshall got injured in early 2004 and the Tigers went nowhere. Marshall played his ONLY full season to date in 2005 and the Tigers won the GF playing electrifying attacking rugby league. Not a coincidence.

Benji has ALREADY won a Grand Final and been absolutely outstanding in the biggest pressure games of all, to suggest that he isn't the sort of marquee/superstar player who can get his team over the line in a GF is completely geniused.

And history shows, clearly, that you need AT LEAST ONE player in the halves who is going to dominate, in order to win. Clearly, Marshall is that sort of player whereas Smith, Finch, Rovelli, Witt, are not at the same level. The absolute minimum requirement would be Brent Sherwin on form + an outstanding set of forwards ala 2004....

Manly have Orford and Lyon, Melbourne have Inglis and Cronk, Tigers have Marshall, Cowboys have Thuston, and the Dogs have Sherwin....in my most humble and sincere opinion, these are the only teams with halves who I can foresee being good enough to take them all the way to the title. Personally I doubt the Cows can win it, but the other four are the teams to watch....the Warriors imo will flatter to deceive, but won't quite be good enough in the biggest games of all due to a lack of inspiration from Witt or Rovelli.

Oh and before what i was refering to with Benji in the halves i should have worded better and said at halfback, he's not a gun halfback. And from what i've seen needs a player like prince and halfback for him to dominate. I can't see Marshall dominating from halfback or at 5/8 with Morris at half. No team with John Morris in the halves will win a premiership.

Sherwin the minimum. Smith>Sherwin.
If you watched the friday night match you would have seen that Smith played far better than the minimum Sherwin so by your own words he should be good enough for us to win the premiership or at least have a chance.

it's still 4 rounds til the finals injuries etc will play a major role yet.
And anyone who thinks the week off in week 2 of the finals is a good thing, think again.
You lose so much momentum have a weekends break can only hurt in the finals.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Well, I beg to differ. I just think a team needs a gun player in the halves, not necessarily a great organiser. The Tigers have most bases covered with Farah and Hodgson anyway. Marshall is a player who can create absolute havoc, and playing halfback he will be getting his hands on the ball time and again. If the Tigers are to go all the way, they might have to play an even more razzle dazzle style than they did in '05, but I think it's possible. Benji is a special player, and special players in the halves win grand-finals.

...and I admit that Sherwin comes closest to ruining my theory. However, imo Sherwin in 2004 form is a much better big game player than Finch or Smith. I don't see Smith or Finch as grand final winners. Just a matter of opinion I guess. I admit that Finch has played Origin, and Smith is a recent rookie of the year, so they're borderline cases- it's really just my opinion/guess that they won't be up to it.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Thierry Henry
Well, I beg to differ. I just think a team needs a gun player in the halves, not necessarily a great organiser. The Tigers have most bases covered with Farah and Hodgson anyway. Marshall is a player who can create absolute havoc, and playing halfback he will be getting his hands on the ball time and again. If the Tigers are to go all the way, they might have to play an even more razzle dazzle style than they did in '05, but I think it's possible. Benji is a special player, and special players in the halves win grand-finals.

...and I admit that Sherwin comes closest to ruining my theory. However, imo Sherwin in 2004 form is a much better big game player than Finch or Smith. I don't see Smith or Finch as grand final winners. Just a matter of opinion I guess. I admit that Finch has played Origin, and Smith is a recent rookie of the year, so they're borderline cases- it's really just my opinion/guess that they won't be up to it.

I actually agree with what you've said here about Finch and Smith, what'll decide parra's chances are if they can cross that invisible line and become big game players, when that happens we should win the premiership, just my honest opinion.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
WTF? said:
Smith/Finch wont win a premiership but Marshall/Morris will :lol: :lol: :lol: dear god slay me now.

No team with John Morris in the halves will win a premiership.

Do people still think John Morris plays a traditional five-eighth role in our side? Just because he wears the #6 shirt doesn't mean anything. Watch some games, FFS.

Hodgson plays five-eighth in attack. Marshall pops up anywhere and everywhere. Farah controls most of the play. Morris is just another ball runner, plays like a lock in our side. He ain't no playmaker.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
I know John Morris doesn't play the traditional 5/8th role at the tigers, he's just not good enough, he's actually a hooker but you have Farah so he was a stupid buy. But don't you see having him in the team doesn't help in any way, instead of playing the role he should other players have to pick up the slack.

ShineDog

Juniors
Hutty1986 said:
Storm Vs Bulldogs imo

Manly/Parra to fall at the Prelim hurdle

Dogs are a tough finals team and with a few class players to come back...I really rate their chances. Last years finals embarrassment may just be a motivating factor in their run

In full agreement.

kav

Juniors
shiznit said:
meh... halves arent really that important anymore because bodyshapes are much similar across the park and skill levels have increased so much for all positions. now you have lock forwards, fullbacks & centres with good kicking and passing games.

i think these days you need to expand it and say 9, 6/7 & 1 are the key positions. Cronk and Inglis dont have any 'pedegree' as halves but there very effective. when you throw Cam Smith and Slater into the mix you see why the storm go real good.

look at how cronk and inglis preformed last night without Cam Smith. certainly wernt as good.

The Warriors are good enough... Fien/Gattis have been playing really well and Mckinnon is probably the form fullback of the comp.

The Tigers are outstanding Farrah, Marshall/Morris & Hodgson

The Eels are awesome too... PJ/Pig, Smith/Finch & Hayne

all those sides are good enough to progress... i think this finals series will come down to the forwards... whoever can control the middle of the park the best will win it...

i have no idea who that is...

Grand Finals are won up front before class prevails out wider. The best prop in the game at the moment is Steven Price; a quality metres man and highly respected captain. He has the support of some big men not lacking footwork or ball skills. They are the reason why the Warriors are on a roll at the moment - a roll which is gathering momentum (forget the Rooster debacle). The only packs which I think can get close to matching them are Melbourne and Parramatta.

Kav

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yep I agree- Storm/Warriors, Warriors to win. Although Parra could be the team to watch in the semis.

_Johnsy

Referee
anyone who makes the 8 could worry any of the sides, just look at melbourne the last 2 weeks, average at best.