What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone for a quick game of 11-a-side?

The Colonel

Immortal
Anyone for a quick game of 11-a-side? Jacquelin Magnay
November 15, 2006
NRL officials will take the first step in the most radical rethink of the game in a century by suggesting a series of trial games using 11 players a side.
The bold idea is to experiment with four fewer players on the field so the game becomes more open and attack-focused.
The idea is still in its infancy but the discussion of it at the game's highest levels suggests it has some merit. Already several clubs, such as the Roosters and Penrith, use 11-a-side games in junior trials, and those who have watched are enthusiastic about the change.
There has been a chorus of criticism from some of the game's great thinkers about the proliferation of dummy-half running and brick-wall defence. Warren Ryan and Ricky Stuart believe opening up the lateral space would make for a more entertaining and creative game.
But such a significant adjustment to the structure of the game will upset traditionalists as well as the slow-moving props who would be the likely victims of the up-tempo version.
League developed as a separate game when it split from rugby union in 1906, reducing the number of players on the field from 15 to 13. But over the past century, the fitness levels of the players and the speed of the game has increased dramatically.
It is understood NRL referees director Robert Finch will put the proposal to make several of next year's pre-season trial games 11-a-side to a group of NRL coaches, senior players and club officials who are meeting today in Sydney to discuss possible rule changes. The trials would be observed by the game's powerbrokers to analyse the style and type of play that would result.
The idea was mooted at a rules think tank last week, which included delegates from Great Britain and New Zealand, who cautiously supported it being raised at today's meeting.
For the concept to proceed, the meeting would have to recommend a trial which would have to be approved by the NRL board.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/anyone-for-a-quick-game-of-11aside/2006/11/14/1163266549476.html

Thoughts?

fish eel

Immortal
I dunno.

The game is pretty good as it is, perhaps more consistant and better enforcement of the 10 metres would have the desired effect?

bartman

Immortal
Hmmm. On first thought I kind of imagine it as having the space and pace of a game of touch. Lots of gaps and lots of breaks, and bigger less mobile men would innevitably be taregtted. And not as interesting to watch in my opinion?

Getting rid of marker, forcing the dummy half to pass the ball, and keeping sides back the ten could all go some way toward reducing the type of play Wok and Tricky seem to want to reduce.

Glenn

First Grade
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If they want a reduced number on the field, bring back the World 7's ;-)

Mr_E

Juniors
That's ridiculous. What's great about our game is that fact that it takes big guys and little guys, fast guys and not so fast guys. In other words it takes a good mix of players to make a great side. As Bartman said that would take the bigger, less mobile, men out of the game.

Don't do it. Please.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm willing to take a look. The changes may take the bigger less mobile men out of the game, but many changes over the years has changed the game not necessarily for the better.

Unlimited and now 12 interchanges has all but taken the smaller man out of the game. The days of Alfie running around tired props was once what made our game great as well.

NRL officials will take the first step in the most radical rethink of the game in a century by suggesting a series of trial games using 11 players a side.
The bold idea is to experiment with four fewer players on the field so the game becomes more open and attack-focused.

When did we start playing the 15 a side game?

strider

Post Whore
f**k .... the scores are big enough as it is .... and there's plenty of holes in the defensive line these days

Freak2

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
I reckon its a good Idea......maybe down to 12 men instead off 11 ....just to open it up a bit more.

I agree. 12 would be OK for trials.

Imagine 11 a side and then some goose like Billy Harrigan puts 4 in the bin!!:shock:

I think there is more important changes needed (the stripping rule) before making monumental changes to our game.

strider

Post Whore
Freak2 said:
I agree. 12 would be OK for trials.

Imagine 11 a side and then some goose like Billy Harrigan puts 4 in the bin!!:shock:

I think there is more important changes needed (the stripping rule) before making monumental changes to our game.
Hell yeah!!! ... for starters, how about we at least clarify all the existing rules first

PJ Marshal

Coach
im sick of the focus on attacking football

the game needs an even balance, we have sh*t defence people like matt petersen could become internationals

OH WAIT HE IS :eek:

Bazal

Post Whore
Silly idea IMO...all it would mean is rather than scorelines of 18-12 we'd have 36-30. It'd be great fun for trials but that's as far as it should go, if that...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
We finally lose Vella and now they pitch a change to the game that would make him a star again.

I'd like to see a trial just out of curiosity but too many hardheaded workhorse props would be wiped out of the game for it to be a successful. If it aint broke don't fix it.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Firstly, the proposal to allow the markers to split is a much better proposal because it would force teams to not just keep attacking down a narrow corridor. Even if you reduce the number of players, it isn't going to force a more lateral game. What it will do is make the dummy half run more of an enticing option. Think about it. The forwards would be more fatigued and the gaps up the middle will be more.

The second issue which someone earlier highlighted is the sin bin/send off. At present a team must have 9 on the field or they forfeit. I can see a scenario that this could happen if they reduce to 11 players. Do we really want a game to finish in one team forfeiting?

Lastly, the defence and the determination of teams in goal line defence will be lost. I guarantee that any team the gets a full set in the oppositions 20 will almost always score (9 times out of 10).