What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram Man

Juniors
Sick main event fight yesterday between Chan Sung Jung and Dustin Poirier...went in to the 4th round where the Korean Zombie finished the fight with a very slick d'Arce Choke....
It was an action packed fight and the transitioning on the ground was insane.

Zombie now looks to meet Jose Aldo for the Featherweight title....interesting fight!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Been told by everyone at work it's a card to definitly get on replay. Tried avoiding the main result but the bloody paper ruined it this morning! So glad Mir lost, guy is complete douche.

Reading about the undercard, it seems mayhem lost again in a wrasslef**k to CB. Surely Dana will cut his shit ass now.

Ram Man

Juniors
Been told by everyone at work it's a card to definitly get on replay. Tried avoiding the main result but the bloody paper ruined it this morning! So glad Mir lost, guy is complete douche.

Reading about the undercard, it seems mayhem lost again in a wrasslef**k to CB. Surely Dana will cut his shit ass now.

I am no fan of that dickhead Mayhem Miller..however his left knee was heavily strapped and at one staged he was trying to move laterally his knee just gave out...but dont take anything away from Dollaway, his wrestling came to the fore in this fight....I was very disappointed in Brandao, he basically gassed after the first round, but was given limited opportunity because Elkins was tough as hell and basically showed a tonne of heart to smother Diego and win the fight.

Also impressed with Glover Teixeira and his BJJ skills with a slick submission, he is currently on a 16 fight win streak!

BDR

First Grade
Mayhem got cut, he tried to start a fight with Dollaway's corner backstage. It was a shit fight, he probably would have got the sack anyway.

God damn that Velasquez fight was brutal, Bigfoot was leaking like a faucet.

So I signed up to learn MMA and BJJ, never done anything like this before. Have my first lesson Wednesday.. Any ideas on what to expect as a newb??

jc155776

Coach
Learn to tap and don't try and power out of submissions. Because that is how you get hurt. Tap early and learn from it.

WYD

Juniors
Don't get the replay, get the rudos ;-)

I'm a big Mir fan, also a big Barnett fan, hasn't been a good week for my boys.

I still think Barnett's got a lot to offer, really would have loved to see him win the tournament and Dana to be forced to pick him up. I'm gonna cut him some slack with the broken hand and see how he performs in his last Strikeforce fight.

Ram Man

Juniors
So I signed up to learn MMA and BJJ, never done anything like this before. Have my first lesson Wednesday.. Any ideas on what to expect as a newb??

Tap early and Tap often!
Your first 6 or so months you are going to be terrible, just because you watch MMA/UFC doesnt mean shit....everyone that comes to our gym who has watched a dozen fights thinks they can do everything they see on TV. There is no shame in tapping at training, its how you learn best.
My tip would be to try and spar with the most experienced guys there...steel sharpens steel, so if you want to be good, you need to train against the best in the gym....Good Luck!

johnnoparra

Juniors
Good advice. I figured I'd know something from watching UFC for years... it helped knowing what sort of trouble I was getting into each and every time, but tapping is always best haha. Amazing skills.

Thanks for the Advice, considering I have pretty much no fighting experience at all except drunken backyard wrestling I do expect to be totally out gunned.

Will the more advanced guys be jerks about it or look to help me out?

I pretty much want to do it for the challenge of it. I have no aspirations to be a competition cage fighter.

Ram Man

Juniors
Thanks for the Advice, considering I have pretty much no fighting experience at all except drunken backyard wrestling I do expect to be totally out gunned.

Will the more advanced guys be jerks about it or look to help me out?

I pretty much want to do it for the challenge of it. I have no aspirations to be a competition cage fighter.

Really depends on the culture of the gym...most guys at my gym are very helpful and will cranks submissions if you get caught but its up to you to tap, and most of the time will offer advice on how to avoid things that can get you caught...but have heard rumours of other gyms making you wear a Gi that hasnt been washed ever and getting the experienced guys to get on the mat with you and give you a hammering....and also depends on what sort of people are there

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Ive had nothing but good rolling from our experiences guys. Been at it for 4 months and usually roll with a blue belt. Always offering advice and technique advice. There isn't one asshat at our academy so hopefully you've found a place exactly like it.

Depends on your attitude as well.

Collateral

Coach
Really depends on the culture of the gym...most guys at my gym are very helpful and will cranks submissions if you get caught but its up to you to tap, and most of the time will offer advice on how to avoid things that can get you caught...but have heard rumours of other gyms making you wear a Gi that hasnt been washed ever and getting the experienced guys to get on the mat with you and give you a hammering....and also depends on what sort of people are there

Hey Ram, did you compete on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.