What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone still want to sack Flanno?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Love Flanno’s salary cap management.

Just when you thought he couldn’t top the Ben Barba deal from Brisbane he scored the Aaron Woods deal.

Pure genius!
Pretty sure Fifi was picked up with part freight from the Tigers too. It's these deals with top quality discards that really helps with the overall cap management. Think Woods will be a massive asset the further we go along. Other upside is these players usually appear to have a point to prove with their new club too.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Pretty sure Fifi was picked up with part freight from the Tigers too. It's these deals with top quality discards that really helps with the overall cap management. Think Woods will be a massive asset the further we go along. Other upside is these players usually appear to have a point to prove with their new club too.

Matt Prior was another we picked up on good price
Mick Ennis, Dogs didnt want him , thought he was past it.
Taga did his job from bench each time
Heighno up in years but generated enrgy when got on field
Leutele/Feki combo have done well for year, Flanno stuck with them and were key in 2016 and still are able to perform
Maloney is another

Flanno has rarely gone out and spent big money to bring players to the club, its more he is looking for players who want to buy into his culture.

And sometimes it takes a player a full season to adjust to Flanno so in that i am willing to give players like Gray, Ava, and Uele to mid next season, that way plenty of time for Flanno magic to take place

Bellamy is streets ahead. Don't even compare them.

Really?

Yeah that’s why Flanno outsmarted him in the Grand Final and the Sharks have beaten the Storm 5 times out of the last 7 games they’ve played.

Would be 6 out of the last 7 if it weren’t for a last minute try to the Storm last year at home.

But yeah Bellamy is streets ahead....

Stake Removed

First Grade
And no other team Roosters included could have been allowed to keep Cronk, Slater & Smith under the cap, plus the hoard of other origin and internationals, the NRL has allowed that in fear that crowds would vanish in Melbourne if team wasnt successful

Ads

First Grade
Really?

Yeah that’s why Flanno outsmarted him in the Grand Final and the Sharks have beaten the Storm 5 times out of the last 7 games they’ve played.

Would be 6 out of the last 7 if it weren’t for a last minute try to the Storm last year at home.

But yeah Bellamy is streets ahead....

Yes Bellamy is streets ahead. Indisputable. No one would ever hire Flanno over Bellamy. Never.

bluefox68

Staff member
I do rate Bellamy as a great coach. His results are indisputable.

However, the means he used to win will always take away from his legacy.

Whereas Bennett, Gould, Jack Gibson (and others) can ‘hold their heads high’ - they did it within the rules of the game.

I reckon Flanno is perfect for the Sharks. I don’t want him gone..,

Poolshark

Juniors
Much the same as flanno
Can't argue with that either Surely. My only real gripe is him holding back on the youth. I've always been of the belief, 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' just wish the coach wouldn't be so rigid in his ways and would give them a crack.

Surely

Post Whore
Can't argue with that either Surely. My only real gripe is him holding back on the youth. I've always been of the belief, 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' just wish the coach wouldn't be so rigid in his ways and would give them a crack.

Katoa Williams have both had a crack this season

Poolshark

Juniors
True, but history shows he has been less inclined to give them a go. If he has had a softening in his stance and he continues to show faith in our youth then kudos to him.

True, but history shows he has been less inclined to give them a go. If he has had a softening in his stance and he continues to show faith in our youth then kudos to him.

No history shows that Flanno will give a young kid a go when they have the right attitude and skills for First Grade.

Jack Bird, Valentine Holmes, Sione Katoa, Jayden Brailey, Jack Williams & Jesse Ramien in particular.

I often hear people whinging about we let this junior go or that junior go. Well we were blessed with excellent recruitment with that 2016 squad and it won us a Premiership. Pretty sure if we didn’t recruit those more experienced types we would still be without a Premiership. But we might have given a few more youngsters an opportunity and people would have been whinging about not winning a Premiership.

f**k there’s some fickle ungrateful supporters. Maybe you enjoyed losing more????

No history shows that Flanno will give a young kid a go when they have the right attitude and skills for First Grade.

Jack Bird, pressure from ordinary start to the season
Valentine Holmes, ditto
Sione Katoa,
Jayden Brailey, no alternative options
Jack Williams injury to other players
&
Jesse Ramien in particular. played him out of position wcc then another shot through injury.

I often hear people whinging about we let this junior go or that junior go. Well we were blessed with excellent recruitment with that 2016 squad and it won us a Premiership. Pretty sure if we didn’t recruit those more experienced types we would still be without a Premiership. But we might have given a few more youngsters an opportunity and people would have been whinging about not winning a Premiership.

f**k there’s some fickle ungrateful supporters. Maybe you enjoyed losing more????
these were more out of necessity than anything else.
pathways aren't strong and he keeps going back to market for old heads when there are younger options that could and have stepped up elsewhere.

these were more out of necessity than anything else.
pathways aren't strong and he keeps going back to market for old heads when there are younger options that could and have stepped up elsewhere.

No I think he’s got the balance right.

You won’t win anything full of millennial kids.

It’s just been announced that the highly rated Sharks Centre Bronson Xerri currently playing in Jersey Flegg will be training with the 1st Grade Squad next pre season. He was chosen for the Australian School Boys Tour of England but pulled out to spend the pre season with the Old Heads in First Grade.

Flanno has said he’s probably a year or two from a First Grade opportunity so he’s signed Josh Morris for two years. What a great player to learn from. So Xerri has been recognised by the Club and placed in next seasons First Grade pre season. If that is not giving the kid a pathway and best learning experience what is?

No I think he’s got the balance right.

You won’t win anything full of millennial kids.

It’s just been announced that the highly rated Sharks Centre Bronson Xerri currently playing in Jersey Flegg will be training with the 1st Grade Squad next pre season. He was chosen for the Australian School Boys Tour of England but pulled out to spend the pre season with the Old Heads in First Grade.

Flanno has said he’s probably a year or two from a First Grade opportunity so he’s signed Josh Morris for two years. What a great player to learn from. So Xerri has been recognised by the Club and placed in next seasons First Grade pre season. If that is not giving the kid a pathway and best learning experience what is?
I agree.
how do you feel about the following:
Friz - origin
peachey - origin
addo-carr - origin
Scott - targeted by bellamy starting center at storm
Salmon - which I learnt this week was from our system
where was the pathway?

I agree.
how do you feel about the following:
Friz - origin
peachey - origin
addo-carr - origin
Scott - targeted by bellamy starting center at storm
Salmon - which I learnt this week was from our system
where was the pathway?

Frizell we tried to keep but took a huge offer from the Dragons.

Peachey got big bucks from Penrith. Interesting quote from him this week when asked if he liked Hook. “Only when he didn’t put me on the bench” haha great attitude!! He’s onto his third Club in Gold Coast. Good Luck to him!

Addo Carr I agree with this one being the one we didn’t identify. Apparently we weren’t interested and he went to the Tigers.

Scott we wanted to keep but apparently wanted to play with the big 3.

Salmon I knew from winning junior lower grades. Jury is out whether he’ll make it.

A lot of junior back rowers saw Graham, Lewis and Gallen in First Grade a few years back and knew they wouldn’t be getting in front of them anytime soon. So they left for big $ and the opportunity to be a starting First Grader.

I wait for you to tell me who we shouldn’t have kept out of Graham, Lewis and Gallen in the last 5 years to accomodate them. Who?

Frizell we tried to keep but took a huge offer from the Dragons.

Peachey got big bucks from Penrith. Interesting quote from him this week when asked if he liked Hook. “Only when he didn’t put me on the bench” haha great attitude!! He’s onto his third Club in Gold Coast. Good Luck to him!

Addo Carr I agree with this one being the one we didn’t identify. Apparently we weren’t interested and he went to the Tigers.

Scott we wanted to keep but apparently wanted to play with the big 3.

Salmon I knew from winning junior lower grades. Jury is out whether he’ll make it.

A lot of junior back rowers saw Graham, Lewis and Gallen in First Grade a few years back and knew they wouldn’t be getting in front of them anytime soon. So they left for big $ and the opportunity to be a starting First Grader.

I wait for you to tell me who we shouldn’t have kept out of Graham, Lewis and Gallen in the last 5 years to accomodate them. Who?
when I read articles saying we are so far under the cap then maybe we keep all of them?
who knows.
it's obviously more complex than that.
3 ex sharks played origin this year.
maybe these players left because the mountain to climb to get to first grade is too high?
i.e. why buy edrick Lee when we have had players in these positions?
why buy Josh Dugan at marquee money when we've had players like scott play first grade elsewhere.
that sort of stuff gives people the shits.
how long did peachey sit in reserves?
heard park footballer tags thrown around.
maybe our prospect identification is poor?

Poolshark

Juniors

Jack Bird, Valentine Holmes, Sione Katoa, Jayden Brailey, Jack Williams & Jesse Ramien in particular.

Neither fickle or ungrateful DS, just call it how I see it. And from memory his using Val when he did was more about the pressure he was feeling from above than anything else.

YTSharks

Juniors
He got Fifita because they wanted to bump Gibbs and we said only if you chuck in one of Fifita or Groat. They kept Groat...

Everyone rolls out the "if they are good enough they are old enough" line. But most people don't really consider what it means. Truly means.

There will only ever be a handful of players that are truly good enough that you can discount their age over experience.

Everyone wants to gamble for keeps using monopoly money and scream I told you so when it comes off.

Poolshark

Juniors
Everyone rolls out the "if they are good enough they are old enough" line. But most people don't really consider what it means. Truly means.

There will only ever be a handful of players that are truly good enough that you can discount their age over experience.

Everyone wants to gamble for keeps using monopoly money and scream I told you so when it comes off.
Again I agree with most of what you say Gregos, but the 2 most successful coaches of the modern era have adopted this principal for most of their tenures, and even a cursory look at their records prove this.

Latest posts