What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anything can happen?

grayham

Juniors
Surely one of the most inaccurate slogans for rugby union would be the tag "anything can happen".

We've had 40 odd games in this world cup, and there has not been one upset. Even the worst journalist in Australian history, Peter Fitzsimmons, was salivating at the first upset last night, except England went on to almost double the welsh score. Capital K knob.

You cant go through a single AFL or NRL round and not have at least one upset.

Maybe a more appropriate slogan would be "Tipping heaven".

Auckland4ever

Juniors
A good slogan for this thread would be "So what?". Dont believe the hype.

Wales were in the game right to the end. Did you watch it?

bayrep

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:

I think this world cup has been a good thing for Wales. Wales have national pride back in their team again. If you read some of their papers they are just wrapped that there team is playing with passion, heart and belief. They see the team playing more like the team of the 70's again when rugby was an obsession much like NZ. I have always been a fan of welsh rugby and have cheered them on even when they were playing the AB's.

Why is it that you have to have an upset to "where anything can happen”? Are some league fans that simple minded that they need 6 tackles and an upset to class this as " anything that can happen”?

As a whole I think the tournament has been very good. 1 or 2 results have been major blowouts but if you look at teams like Japan who had a similar result in 95 to where they are now and where they will be in another 10 yrs I don’t mind. The only real blunder I see is the ticket pricing that the ARU/IRB have inflected on the Joe public who have been the very same people that have supported the comp to date. Also think that the IRB have had a big wake up call when it comes to the haves and have-nots. Lets hope the IRB pull finger and put money and resource in to the have-nots and that they schedule the next tournament with a little more of a even playing field which should help in reducing blow outs as well.

grayham

Juniors
bayrep said:
Auckland4ever said:

Why is it that you have to have an upset to "where anything can happen”? Are some league fans that simple minded that they need 6 tackles and an upset to class this as " anything that can happen”?

Yes, I can think of no other sport where not one upset happens in over 40 consequtive games.

I think its because the rules have been tampered with to such a degree that if you are better than your opposition, even by a relative small amount, you can retain possession at most breakdowns, and string together over 10 phases of play. Its become like RL used to be before the 6 tackle rule.

I can forsee many more rule changes ahead. You've got to worry where the sport is headed.

bayrep

Juniors
grayham said:
bayrep said:
Auckland4ever said:

Yes, I can think of no other sport where not one upset happens in over 40 consequtive games.

I think its because the rules have been tampered with to such a degree that if you are better than your opposition, even by a relative small amount, you can retain possession at most breakdowns, and string together over 10 phases of play. Its become like RL used to be before the 6 tackle rule.

I can forsee many more rule changes ahead. You've got to worry where the sport is headed.

Did you know that this is the first time that the major nations which incled the 5 nation and tri nation teams have made it to the quaters ? that means all the previous would cups there has been one surprise package i.e Canada, Samoa, Fiji, Argentina. So is the upset becuase there was no surprise packages ? or becuase its the first time that all the home nations have made the quarters ?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
grayham said:

Why? Whats the big worry? Most sports evolve over time. If there are rule changes to help fix up the tackle ball area, excellent. I hope the powers at be keep the game evolving, there are a number of areas that could be improved. Making drop goals worth 1 instead of 3 would be a start.

As far as stringing phases together goes, its up to opposing forward packs & outside backs to pressure their opposites to force passes & kick. Every team has weaknesses, partly because there are so many facets to union. There is no guarantee England, who are masters at retaining possession, will win this cup over France or NZ, who play an expansive game. Hell, Wales scared the crap out of the poms last night by throwing the ball around. If England do win the cup, good on them.

Like in any sport, if one team uses tactics successfully, opposing teams can go down two paths: replicate or innovate. I'll agree with anyone who says there are far too many rules in union, but there is always scope for innovation.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I thing 'Anything can happen' is appropriate. Afterall do you know what's going on around you when you're asleep?

bayrep

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
I thing 'Anything can happen' is appropriate. Afterall do you know what's going on around you when you're asleep?

And the point to that comment was ???

grayham

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:
grayham said:

Why? Whats the big worry? Most sports evolve over time. If there are rule changes to help fix up the tackle ball area, excellent. I hope the powers at be keep the game evolving, there are a number of areas that could be improved. Making drop goals worth 1 instead of 3 would be a start.

Like in any sport, if one team uses tactics successfully, opposing teams can go down two paths: replicate or innovate. I'll agree with anyone who says there are far too many rules in union, but there is always scope for innovation.

The sort of rules I've heard mention like yours (simplify rucks/mauls, reduce penalties value, reduce drop-goal value) make the modern rugby union closer to rugby league than RU 10 years ago.
So when does rugby stop being rugby ?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
bayrep said:
Tidus_Raider said:

You tell me Einstein. However from your reply I think I can tell the 'point' of your comment is you don't have a sense of humour. It was a joke. you know that four letter word that starts with the letter 'J' that if said correctly usually makes people smile and if they're really lucky makes them chuckle or god forbid even might make them laugh.

bayrep

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
bayrep said:
Tidus_Raider said:

You tell me Einstein. However from your reply I think I can tell the 'point' of your comment is you don't have a sense of humour. It was a joke. you know that four letter word that starts with the letter 'J' that if said correctly usually makes people smile and if they're really lucky makes them chuckle or god forbid even might make them laugh.

WHHHAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I have graduated to Einstien. Humour no, what is that?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
grayham said:
The sort of rules I've heard mention like yours (simplify rucks/mauls, reduce penalties value, reduce drop-goal value) make the modern rugby union closer to rugby league than RU 10 years ago.

How long is a piece of string? Old-timers will tell you 'real' rugby died decades ago, yet they continue to watch as fervently as anyone. I still dont see where the big worry is.

Like I said, most sports evolve, however its not like line-outs will disappear, neither will rucks & mauls, nor will contestable scrums, nor will the number of players on each side change. There will still be plenty more differences than similarities.

grayham

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:
grayham said:

How long is a piece of string? Old-timers will tell you 'real' rugby died decades ago, yet they continue to watch as fervently as anyone. I still dont see where the big worry is.

Like I said, most sports evolve, however its not like line-outs will disappear, neither will rucks & mauls, nor will contestable scrums, nor will the number of players on each side change. There will still be plenty more differences than similarities.

I'd say Line-out would be the most endangered species of the unique rugby union aspects of the game. Simply because they are rarely contests anymore, they are a cause of many penatlies of a dubious nature, and this whole lifting someone up is actually very dangerous*.

* - How can it be any more dangerous than a high flying mark in AFL I hear you say, well in AFL you have/need momentum to get that high, and therefore any impacts by other players do not move you off your original line (and therefore ability to land safely) as much compared to someone who is sitting up there stationary. Plus I dont think it actually adds anything to be able to lift. Wasnt it one of those rules where officialdom gave in as lifting was rife anyway?

Moffo

Referee
damn, i have to agree with graham :evil:

im in a tipping comp and have picked 43/44 games right. And im hardly a union affeciando. I have proof if necessary :lol:

The results have all been predictable

Cheers,
Moffo

bazza

Immortal
Moffo said:
damn, i have to agree with graham :evil:

im in a tipping comp and have picked 43/44 games right. And im hardly a union affeciando. I have proof if necessary :lol:

The results have all been predictable

Cheers,
Moffo

How is everyone else going in the tipping comp Moffo?

Moffo

Referee
im equal leader with 3 others :lol:

Average score would be about 40.

Comp has 50 people and that is taking into account that a few have dropped out

Cheers,
Moffo

zulu

Juniors
grayham said:
bayrep said:
Auckland4ever said:

You would at least expect a couple of upsets, but there has been none. I think this reflects the fact that international rugby is nowhere near as strong as it is made out to be. The fact the Wallabies have made through to the final four despite being in atrocious form, says a lot about the standard of this World Cup.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
grayham said:
I'd say Line-out would be the most endangered species of the unique rugby union aspects of the game. Simply because they are rarely contests anymore, they are a cause of many penatlies of a dubious nature, and this whole lifting someone up is actually very dangerous*.

I dont really agree. Since lifting was legalised, lineouts have become more contestable. There are more jumping options for the team throwing, but theres also more scope for error. NZ has lost many a game, Bledisloe cup included(twice) in recent years because they were poor at lineout time. Lineouts are too important to the code to lose. There is an element of danger to them, but less than there is to scrummaging. I dont know if there has been any deaths or broken necks from lineouts, but there have been plenty from scrums.

Even though I dont agree with you on much, Grayham, its nice to have someone actually debating the game with thought, instead of reacting to the bollox spread by the IRB, or crowd sizes, or ratings or which code is "better",etc etc etc.

I can understand people not liking union, I can understand people being (rightly)sceptical at the claims made about this cup & the popularity of the game worldwide, but I dont get the victim mentality adopted by some of the guys in these forums. League is a brilliant game, theres nothing to be defensive about.

flatcap

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:
nor will contestable scrums

eh? contested scrums? you got the stats to back this one up then? like number of balls won against the head and feed per match? :lol:

Latest posts