What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree, the strip on Creagh should have been a penalty. But it was midfield and amounted to nothing
"But..."

Scruffy, we had to defend a set because of that ref blunder. And we held you out. No complaints, we knew there'd be moments like that. You had six tackles to do something with it and what did you come with? Answer: zilch.

That's the difference. When bad decisions went against us (and there were plenty), we didn't let it cost us the game. Easts folded under pressure, no two ways about it.

Look forward to your next "but..."

scruffy

Juniors
Willow, nice, at least i know know why I'm always prepared to have the last glass from a good bottle of red. The GF was a disgrace, Saints supporters should feel aggrieved that their day in the sun was tarnished by the other team being completely hobbled by ridiculously bad decisions. Happy burnouts in the carpark.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow, nice, at least i know know why I'm always prepared to have the last glass from a good bottle of red. The GF was a disgrace, Saints supporters should feel aggrieved that their day in the sun was tarnished by the other team being completely hobbled by ridiculously bad decisions. Happy burnouts in the carpark.
Haha. Didn't think you were being honest before. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

32-8.

thommo4pm

Coach

:lol: :lol:

I'll be happy to see the Minor Premiership and Premiership trophies on display in the Leagues clubs and in the record books. You keep thinking it's tarnished though if it helps you get through the summer. :lol:

Dragon Jim

Juniors
I agree, the strip on Creagh should have been a penalty. But it was midfield and amounted to nothing, surely you cannot compare this to Morris in touch next play Dragons score. To suggest that Roosters let this go and use it for motivation is ridiculous, they worked their arses off on Saints great ball shift, put Morris into touch then got screwed. Your best forward knocked himself out on the ground, watch the replay, the con report was dismissed on those grounds, we got screwed over with a penalty for your guy hitting his head on the ground. Contrary to your suggestion most fair minded, impartial supporters of other teams actually think the Roosters got screwed.
Sorry I didnt explain myself clearly about the Morris in touch. Dragons scoring basically sparked the Roosters into action and they scored 2 quick tries. All I was trying to say is that if Morris was called out in touch, it is hard to see when the Roosters would have got that 'spark' they got after Gasnier's try.

Also add Leulia's knock on that was called knocked back. Dragons would have had the ball 30m from the Roosters line. Again if that happened to Boyd, we would still be hearing about it.

Granted that Weyman did more damage being driven (legally) head first, but Conn led with the fist and still attacked the head deliberately. No question it was a penalty. Just like Prior's open handed slap that drew a penalty also.

And fair minded, impartial supporters of other teams are STILL trying to work out how Anasta's try was allowed!

SET2JT

Juniors
Whats funny about this and other threads is, how people think Dragons fans feel awkward about winning this years G/F because of bad refereeing. Guess what we couldn't give it f**k even if all the decisions went our way. We won the thing and nothing else matters till the start of next year. Good luck next year to all other supporters, it will be nice for everyone to have the time of their lives as Dragons supporters have had this year.

juanfarkall

Coach
I agree, the strip on Creagh should have been a penalty. But it was midfield and amounted to nothing, surely you cannot compare this to Morris in touch next play Dragons score. To suggest that Roosters let this go and use it for motivation is ridiculous, they worked their arses off on Saints great ball shift, put Morris into touch then got screwed. Your best forward knocked himself out on the ground, watch the replay, the con report was dismissed on those grounds, we got screwed over with a penalty for your guy hitting his head on the ground. Contrary to your suggestion most fair minded, impartial supporters of other teams actually think the Roosters got screwed.

So when a referee fails to pick up a penalty (or turnover) offence, it only becomes an issue if one of the two teams scores in the same or next set of 6 or gains significant advantage regardless ofthe final result ?

scruffy

Juniors
Context is the key here lads. We're not playing the round ball game when possession comes and goes in the ebb and flow, where and when mistakes occur is the key in Rugby league. Bias aside, Wok Ryan, Laurie Daley and Des Hasler have all gone on record to say the Roosters were let down big time by the refs. Who knows it could be the Red V next time, would you be happy with the 5-1 penalty count and the blatant touchie error that directly led to your first try. Turn your sub woofer down and think about it, your boys played 80min of footy and only infringed once, seriously..

taxidriver

Coach
Context is the key here lads. We're not playing the round ball game when possession comes and goes in the ebb and flow, where and when mistakes occur is the key in Rugby league. Bias aside, Wok Ryan, Laurie Daley and Des Hasler have all gone on record to say the Roosters were let down big time by the refs. Who knows it could be the Red V next time, would you be happy with the 5-1 penalty count and the blatant touchie error that directly led to your first try. Turn your sub woofer down and think about it, your boys played 80min of footy and only infringed once, seriously..

three years ago yeah i would have complained.

one thing Bennett has taught Saints to do is to stick to the gameplan and not react to dud calls.

we don't give a lot of penalties away, it's called discipline.

ive seen many saints sides give away dumb, lazy and stupid penalties, this version doesn't.

sainst got plenty of dud calls during the season and finals, bottom line is the good sides overcome it

juanfarkall

Coach

So you are suggesting that all 3 that you have nominated have no bias and are completely objective ?
The way you like to make it sound, the Dragons have never recieved a bad call or been on the wrong end of the penalty count.

BTW nice generalisation... your credibility has now plunged even further into the negative.

Dragon Jim

Juniors
would you be happy with the 5-1 penalty count and the blatant touchie error that directly led to your first try. Turn your sub woofer down and think about it, your boys played 80min of footy and only infringed once, seriously..

Lets run through the penalties awarded to the Dragons (in no particular order)

1. Conn - High shot on Weyman - Fair penalty
2. JWH - Third man in on Young - Fair penalty (Personally I thought he tried a headbutt but the lack of comment on here about it makes me think im alone there)
3. The whole Roosters team offside after the chargedown and subsequent play the ball. - Most bvious penalty of the night.
4. Anasta lying on the tackled player - That was the only penalty for that infringement all game
5. Cant even remember.

So you see, the first three are penalties any day of the week and twice on Sundays. You talk about context? Break down what the penalties were for and try to be objective. Other that the whole team being offside as mentioned in 3 above, there was not 1 penalty for offside all game. All penalties awarded were basically penalties that HAD to be given.

It's easy to say 5-1 penalty count blah blah, but take a look at what they were given for and then come back say the refs cost you.

(We had 2 penalties against us, not 1)

Last edited:

scruffy

Juniors
In this day of no right or wrong, no black or white, just shades of grey, often the closest thing to the truth is a generalisation. Most generalisations are formed by what people see and hear with their own eyes/ears, not through the media or politics. I'm happy the Red V won, they were the best team all year, deserved it big time, but I really didn't like what I saw on the field that wet afternoon. What makes it even more meritorious you did it with a AFL playing hobbit( your own version of Johnny Wilkinson) who gets hidden behind a minder in defense and another pivot who can only catch and pass in one direction. Your lock, both second rowers and defensive centre( the one with the schoolboy ink) are awesome. Congrats, what goes around comes around, when you get totally taken out of a big game because of patently ridiculous refing you'll know the pain that all roosters supporters are feeling at present, it has nothing to do with the dragons, just the refs.

Last edited:

taxidriver

Coach
In this day of no right or wrong, no black or white, just shades of grey, often the closest thing to the truth is a generalisation. Most generalisations are formed by what people see and hear with their own eyes/ears, not through the media or politics. I'm happy the Red V won, they were the best team all year, deserved it big time, but I really didn't like what I saw on the field that wet afternoon. What makes it even more meritorious you did it with a AFL playing hobbit( your own version of Johnny Wilkinson) who gets hidden behind a minder in defense and another pivot who can only catch and pass in one direction. Your lock, both second rowers and defensive centre( the one with the schoolboy ink) are awesome. Congrats, what goes around comes around, when you get totally taken out of a big game because of patently ridiculous refing you'll know the pain that all roosters supporters are feeling at present, it has nothing to do with the dragons, just the refs.

we've been there and felt that in many grand finals

hopefully in time you'll recognise (as i have) that you weren't anywhere near good enough

you had your chances, you let them slip

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Small point but it was a 5-2 penalty count. But don't let that get in the way of embellishing the events in an effort to rewrite history. Hey, if you can get the penalty count wrong, what else have you got wrong... eh?

I suspect it is part of the dramatics and myth building that is going on at whatever CWA meeting you came out of.

I'd be curious to see your documetation on these comments from Ryan, Daley and Hasler. You say it is on public record. Where?

Not that I don't trust you...

20knights10

Juniors
Funniest thing about this whole thread is that every single one of the dragons supporters claiming this was an untainted victory have and still would claim that they were robbed in the '99 GF.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In the interest of public record, here are some stats from NRL.com:

Dragons 32 - Roosters 8

Tackles: 284 - 332
All run metres: 1338 - 1090
Penalties: 5 - 2
Penalty Goal Attempts : 2 - 0
Errors : 13 - 9
Hit-ups: 58 - 45
Offloads : 7 - 10
Line breaks: 6 - 1
Completions: 29 - 24
Possession (%) : 55 - 45

More metres, more hit ups, more line breaks, more completions, more possession. Even if we gave Easts a 12 point head start, they were always going to struggle to beat those raw stats.

The referees had no say in the outcome, they were taken out of the equation by Saints.

Chook

First Grade
The referees had no say in the outcome, they were taken out of the equation by Saints.

What delusional bullsh*t. You were gifted a GF willow, just take it and stop trying to justify the blatant bias your team received during the contest.

Bloody child.

Chook.

snoozer

Bench
What delusional bullsh*t. You were gifted a GF willow, just take it and stop trying to justify the blatant bias your team received during the contest.

Bloody child.

Chook.
the pain will eventually fade as time marches on.

chin up son.

Latest posts