What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

BranVan3000

Coach
Big game player and big game experience are 2 different things. He got dropped from the QLD side through poor form so that doesn't really equate to big game player.

Being effective at orign level and being effective at finals level are also very different things

firechild

First Grade
No doubt but Galefarce was trying to use his origin matches as evidence of him being a big game player. That is clearly not a valid argument.

Noa

First Grade
Taylor and big game player dont match. Big game participant is more apt.

It's like being in the twilight zone. I've never really seen a good Souths team, and i'm 31. I started watching footy in the 89 semis. I listened to the Raiders belt them on the radio to get into the 89 GF, and they've pretty much been shit ever since bar one half decent season a few years ago.

This Souths side is very good. Well done to Rusty and former Raider Maguire.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Would say yes they are but just can't bring myself to do it.

Pack of wankers. Hope they go out in straight sets AGAIN. Just for Wussell Cwow and DunniesGimp!

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
No doubt but Galefarce was trying to use his origin matches as evidence of him being a big game player. That is clearly not a valid argument.

Now I hear your argument that Dave Taylor has not performed at Origin level, equates to not being a big game player. Now I think Jamie Lyon is a fantastic footballer and is regarded as either the best centre or up there. But in Origin he has been dominated by GI as has Gasnier BTW. But I still think Jamie is a super footballer. Dave Taylor is a fantastic player. He is a bit liker Sirro, everyone just expects because he is bigger than everyone else he will be unstoppable. But when you get heavily marked it makes it hard to always hard to stand out individually. It's a bit like T-Rex at the moment

Bumble

First Grade
Would say yes they are but just can't bring myself to do it.

Pack of wankers. Hope they go out in straight sets AGAIN. Just for Wussell Cwow and DunniesGimp!

Implying that this happens often? :?

There's been no finals for us to crash out of in the last 20 years...apart from '07 in which we crashed out in straight SET, not sets. ;-)

BranVan3000

Coach
It's like being in the twilight zone. I've never really seen a good Souths team, and i'm 31. I started watching footy in the 89 semis. I listened to the Raiders belt them on the radio to get into the 89 GF, and they've pretty much been shit ever since bar one half decent season a few years ago.

This Souths side is very good. Well done to Rusty and former Raider Maguire.
It's just as weird for us fans

Galeforce

Bench

I believe you will find the discussion was about experience . Having experience in big games allows for development whether or not you played great in the last one.I pointed to the number of origin games and finals games with QLD , which all provide him with big game experience to help him .
As for his last Origin game , he did not have a great game highlighted by not diving on a ball over the line and dropping a pass. Both elements could be easily remedied , he usually does have great hands.

Sphagnum

Coach
Souths are the team to beat, going 6 straight is no mean feat, in recent weeks they also lost two of their best players in Luke and Inglis yet still won both games.

Souths are the benchmark, especially with their enterprising attack and strong defence.

:clap: - Nice burly, I reckon you'll catch some tardfish with that one

On topic, I don't know about the Rabbits. They've been playing some great footy but I think the bubbling cauldron that is finals footy will deliver a hot batch of rabbit stew. I don't think they will handle the pressure. Simple mistakes are what cost you finals games and they will make plenty through inexperience.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
I believe you will find the discussion was about experience .

Really?

Inglis, Taylor and Luke are big game players.

David Taylor a big game player?? Carl Webb's had a better Origin career than DT and that career was one good game. Otherwise he has never played in a "big game" with Souffs, unless the Charity Shield counts?

Pretty sure noone mentioned big game experience until you. Therefore, what was being discussed was NOT experience. Lay off the metho old boy, it might help you live long enough to see a premiership winning team in cardinal and myrtle.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'll tell you what the real deal is. A tasty, fresh-grilled, chilli flavoured Oporto Bondi Burger

Single-Bondi-Burger-with-chilli.57219.png

Lunch in an hour!

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Now I hear your argument that Dave Taylor has not performed at Origin level, equates to not being a big game player. Now I think Jamie Lyon is a fantastic footballer and is regarded as either the best centre or up there. But in Origin he has been dominated by GI as has Gasnier BTW. But I still think Jamie is a super footballer. Dave Taylor is a fantastic player. He is a bit liker Sirro, everyone just expects because he is bigger than everyone else he will be unstoppable. But when you get heavily marked it makes it hard to always hard to stand out individually. It's a bit like T-Rex at the moment

Killer has two NRL premiership rings... How many has DT got?

He also took your left hand defence back to school drawing both your centre and winger for the inside pass. DT got some lucky offloads last night.

My prediction is come finals footy, DT will cost your side an important try with one of these speculator passes. He should just tuck the ball under wing and focus on getting to his feet quickly.

Valheru

Coach
Well this has been answered with a resounding no. it's been a novelty but time for souffs to go back to irrelevancy where they belong.

Loudstrat

Coach
I believe you will find the discussion was about experience . Having experience in big games allows for development whether or not you played great in the last one.I pointed to the number of origin games and finals games with QLD , which all provide him with big game experience to help him .

FMD you are thick. I can understand, though, Souths fans having NFI what a finals game is, and who plays in them! :lol::lol::lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Taught a lesson by a team that's been there and won it before, will be interesting to see how they respond.

Think the game highlighted issues that have been around but haven't been magnified too often in the past month or so. Everingham has had a much better season than he had any right to but he's a weak link out-wide & can be exposed either through poor handling or inconsistent defence. I also think their forward pack is fairly meek, Sam Burgess is the only quality player in the tight games, Taylor seems to go missing or come up with brain explosions when the pressure is on him.

Adding GI & Luke to the starting line-up will definitely help but I just don't think 2012 is their year as far as winning #21 is concerned. Still, they should be proud of this season, they've done better than expected.