What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the keatings days numbered?

Bazal

Post Whore
Matt needs a good run at Wenty IMO...he's got plenty of ability to play first grade footy, but like Eele says he seems to be stuck in a rut. I don't think Ando will have an issue with seeing if he can get his game back for Wenty at some stage should his form continue this way

Eelementary

Post Whore
Totally agree, Baz.

I think moving Robbo to hooker gives us the luxury of allowing Matt to get some confidence back at Wenty, because Robbo can play 80 minutes and we don't really need an impact hooker off the bench (in case there are concerns about Anthony Mitchell's fitness or readiness to play First Grade).

Matt Keating is a good footy player that is just stuck in a rut. Let him get some form and confidence back, and we'll be better off (as will he).

Just my opinion.

Djay

Juniors
Yeh he needs to be given a spell in Wenty. His been playing horrible and doesn't offer much from dummy half when his on.

lingard

Coach
Totally disagree. He has shown he can play some great games, but the problem is he is kind of stuck in a rut playing poorly at this moment.

But in his time in First Grade he's displayed plenty of positives - a booming kicking game (which won us a game against the Dragons a few years ago by kicking a much-needed 40/20), a good dummy-half running game (which he doesn't use enough) and very good defence.

His service out of dummy half might not be the crispest, but he has had games where he has done pretty well in this area, too. And at the end of the day, if he's not improving, why not point the finger at the coach? This goes for every player. Surely, if you can see these issues in players' games, the coach (who is far more qualified and knowledgeable to make these calls) can see them too? And don't get me wrong - I love DA. But I don't get how the Keatings, Mortimer, Poore, etc. cop all this sh*t and nobody questions the coach's tactics...

Well, yeah. But I suppose there`s always the unlikely possibility that most of us experts don`t know what the hell we`re talking about, and that`s why we aren`t the coach and he is. :lol::lol: We can shoot our mouths off and masquerade as experts and rugby league gurus, but at the end of the day, it`s just talk, isn`t it?
Seriously, though; I agree with you. I must admit I`m just ever so slightly less impressed with Anderson as a coach than I used to be. (At one point I thought he was the new Jack Gibson.)

lingard

Coach
Totally disagree. He has shown he can play some great games, but the problem is he is kind of stuck in a rut playing poorly at this moment.

But in his time in First Grade he's displayed plenty of positives - a booming kicking game (which won us a game against the Dragons a few years ago by kicking a much-needed 40/20), a good dummy-half running game (which he doesn't use enough) and very good defence.

His service out of dummy half might not be the crispest, but he has had games where he has done pretty well in this area, too. And at the end of the day, if he's not improving, why not point the finger at the coach? This goes for every player. Surely, if you can see these issues in players' games, the coach (who is far more qualified and knowledgeable to make these calls) can see them too? And don't get me wrong - I love DA. But I don't get how the Keatings, Mortimer, Poore, etc. cop all this sh*t and nobody questions the coach's tactics...

Maybe we don`t know as much about it all as we`d like to think we do. Maybe that`s why he`s the coach and none of us are.
I do hear what you`re saying, though. And I must admit that I`m just ever so slightly less impressed with Anderson as a coach than I used to be. (I thought he was the new Jack Gibson at one stage.)

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
But I don't get how the Keatings, Mortimer, Poore, etc. cop all this sh*t and nobody questions the coach's tactics...

Well I have in Mateo's defense. With people saying he should take more control. But what if DA just wants him to ruck it out and gain metres?

Besides the tactics, Mortz's execution has been extremely poor.

I really don't think DA will say to Mortz, kick it to the fullback or don't find touch, etc

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Well, yeah. But I suppose there`s always the unlikely possibility that most of us experts don`t know what the hell we`re talking about, and that`s why we aren`t the coach and he is. :lol::lol: We can shoot our mouths off and masquerade as experts and rugby league gurus, but at the end of the day, it`s just talk, isn`t it?
Seriously, though; I agree with you. I must admit I`m just ever so slightly less impressed with Anderson as a coach than I used to be. (At one point I thought he was the new Jack Gibson.)

Well said Lingard, you have captured the pulse of the moment.
It will be interesting to see how DA handles the rest of the season.
Will he learn and grow?????

"I don't want to lie on my yoga mat, think peace and do nothing." The Powers That Be have designed a thousand and one distractions to prevent us from co-creating remedy. We expend so much energy on truth, freedom, peace & prosperity for all without ever creating it. We have created a dream but we refuse to give it life.
Casper The Ghost

sooty

Juniors
Accept your call on mk pardon my ignorance but for the sake of repeating myself for the 586th time what is a verge on kk and has he officially signed?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Accept your call on mk pardon my ignorance but for the sake of repeating myself for the 586th time what is a verge on kk and has he officially signed?

my info is that KK is a done deal if not very close.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
my info is that KK is a done deal if not very close.

Rare, medium rare, well done?????
fire-pit-barbecue-rotisserie-lamb.jpg

Eelementary

Post Whore
Maybe we don`t know as much about it all as we`d like to think we do. Maybe that`s why he`s the coach and none of us are.
I do hear what you`re saying, though. And I must admit that I`m just ever so slightly less impressed with Anderson as a coach than I used to be. (I thought he was the new Jack Gibson at one stage.)

I honestly think Daniel Anderson is a great coach - he's passionate about this club, which to me is a massive pre-requisite; he's very good tactically; and he knows how to get his players up to the task.

But sometimes I question his decisions. I mean he's the boss and I back him 100%. But you look at the Tigers with their scrum plays; you look at St. George and their structure; and you look at Parra and we resemble a shambles sometimes.

I'm not sure whether it's under control or not, but Daniel seems like an enigma sometimes.

Having said that, I think he's the right man for the job.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeah, I agree with you Eela.

Bit like Brian Smith too.

I have this suspicion that he just wants to make the eight and storm home 5 weeks out from the semis rather than peaking too early or showing everyone what we've got.

Basically, the drags have shown everyone, their style. And teams can try and work them out by watching tapes after tapes of them. A bit like our finals game against them last year how Reddy wrapped behind grothe in defense

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
What is DA to do?

I questioned DA's decision last year to promote Daniel Mortimer but what else was he to do?

I think its time (after the bye) for Ant Mitchell to take Matt Keatings place on the bench. But DA might think differently. There could be salary cap pressures we dont know about or other contractual obligations.

DA could be thinking this "will Ant Mitchell be an improvement on Matt Keating if theyre swapped?". Ant Mitchell has his issues and he is a rookie, completely untested. Its a difficult decision and one that I will back DA to make.

As for our tactics, DA learned how to get the best out of our players last year and that was to release the shackles. Unfortunatly, the style of football we play is very VERY hard to master. And I for one think that we have too much inexperience in our team to be focusing on tactics at training rather then the basics (I refer to Mortimer and KK in particular there) Its hard with young halves running the show, you cant put alot of pressure on them at this stage of their career when there is so much they dont understand.

sooperdooper

First Grade
in regards to MK... what do people expect from him in his 20 odd minutes on the field?
he isnt an impact hooker... so his impact is going to be minimal.

it is a bit hard to get involved/influence a game when you get 20 mins or so...

sooperdooper

First Grade
I honestly think Daniel Anderson is a great coach - he's passionate about this club, which to me is a massive pre-requisite; he's very good tactically; and he knows how to get his players up to the task.

But sometimes I question his decisions. I mean he's the boss and I back him 100%. But you look at the Tigers with their scrum plays; you look at St. George and their structure; and you look at Parra and we resemble a shambles sometimes.

I'm not sure whether it's under control or not, but Daniel seems like an enigma sometimes.

Having said that, I think he's the right man for the job.

that comes alot down to the halves as well mate...
we dont have a player in our halves who does the organising or barks orders.
The best player in the comp at it is Cooper cronk

Avenger

Immortal
Matt Keating did bugger all when he used to start. I tip that Mitchell will get his spot sooner rather then later