What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we cheats? (again)

franklin2323

Immortal
This is really what I don't understand. You can make as many assumptions as you damn well like based on random reports from random papers and people and do all this maths in your head which could be (and most likely IS) completely inaccurate.

It is also quite truly unbelievable that each time a set of facts is laid in front of you, you manage to find an excuse to continue to indict the club.

Read these 3 articles. Clear from the existing clubs that all were wanted hence Bulldogs paid close to what was reported. The Hodkinson Graham Lowe actually names a figure

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tain-rising-star-hodkinson-20100602-wzvo.html

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0206-njrf.html

Last edited by a moderator:

chanticleer

Juniors
The signings arent that special... Plus Patten Hannant and Kimmorley were your 3 highest paid...

I dont look at that team and go awesome, it looks a little stronger than 2010 but nothing significant on paper

Bulldog Force

Referee

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
franklin, I think you've completely missed my point mate.

You're going on speculation on what players x and y and z are reportedly going to earn, and saying that somehow makes us over the cap.

You're automatically therefore assuming the current squad is on top coin, that seems bizarre to me. The fact you think you "know" we're over is quite hilarious.

As I've said in the past, if you genuinely think we're over the cap, my suggestion is that you compile your evidence and forward it to somebody at the NRL so they can pass it on to Schubert. If we are over the cap I would hope we are caught again and caught quickly, however my gut feeling is that we are not.

Bulldog Force

Referee
As it's previously been stated, the 3 highest paid players in our club have left, on top of another 4 or 5 - this tells me that we're under the cap given the experience of the players we've signed. I'm just going on what I've seen. Todd Greenberg is a man of business and knows that if he screws up, he'll lose his 6 figure job, and I don't think Todd (or any other NRL CEO for that matter) is stupid enough to take this risk given what happened to the Storm this year, or the Bulldogs in '02!

franklin2323

Immortal
The key word in those articles - "Reported" - they simply divided $800,000 by 3 (3 year deal) to get $270,000.

No the paragraph after that Graham Lowe says 270 is too much hence they probably use that as the reported figure.

As I said it's not that's you are active in the market that makes me think you could be over Cowboys have signed heaps of players also. I hope no one is this year was ruined by the Storm debarcle. It's you have gone into bidding wars with other teams for players which puts the price up and this comes after building up with Hannant,Kimmorley etc to get upo to 2nd from last

2 big buying sprees in 3 years seems suss. I hope not but if it was any other club you guys would be asking questions about it

Timmah

Staff member
And had we not bidded and successfully signed Pritchard, you wouldn't even care one bit...

BM-dog

Juniors
The signings arent that special... Plus Patten Hannant and Kimmorley were your 3 highest paid...

I dont look at that team and go awesome, it looks a little stronger than 2010 but nothing significant on paper
Yes exactly, it's not like a Melbourne scenario where they had a zillion Origin stars and internationals. If you look at our squad next year and compare it with other teams' squads it doesn't really stand out that much. The suspicion comes from the fact that we've signed a large number of players over a few years, but this is a result of us losing a significant number of highly-paid players over the same period.

franklin2323

Immortal
And had we not bidded and successfully signed Pritchard, you wouldn't even care one bit...

I don't hold you responsible 1 bit for that if our management didn't stuff around for and leave it til round 25 to even meet his manger a deal might of been done.

As I said I hope everything is sweet but I have doubts

BM Dog that is where my suspicion comes from no malice intended.

2009 Stagg, Eastwood, Hannant, Ennis, Hodgson, Kimmorley all came as at the least regular 1st graders. Granted Tonga, Williams, Maitua leaving would of freed up some funds

And add this years signings with what has gone and unless Gordon, Hickey etc was on huge $

I would expect a a few to leave next year if there's nothing shonky going on as for 2011 like I said there can't be much more left so should P/T need to be called up ther might be some trouble

Timmah

Staff member
I'm certain Gordon and Hickey were being paid overs for the amount of first grade they played.

Timmah

Staff member
Do you guys worry every year if your over the cap?

Enjoy the off season, you should do better next year
Not worried at all. Thought it would make for an interesting discussion.
cheating?

the cap?

no

betting thing will be interesting though
I think you need to make a distinction between "individual" and "club". The sting is alleged to have involved individuals, there is no suggestion any club is liable for any of the allegations.
What a stupid thread
Got people talking didn't it? 34 posts in 24hrs has to be some sort of record in the 'Dogs forum. :D

MatthewA

Juniors
It was well reported that Jarrad Hickey was on $200,000 a year when he re-signed in 2008 around the time Mason and SBW both left as the club viewed him as the future in the forwards.

Most over paid player if ever I've seen it.

Bulldog Force

Referee
It was well reported that Jarrad Hickey was on $200,000 a year when he re-signed in 2008 around the time Mason and SBW both left as the club viewed him as the future in the forwards.

Most over paid player if ever I've seen it.
Depends if Chicorollski was getting any coin or not :eek:

MatthewA

Juniors
LOL CIZZA!!

Poor fellow was horrible. Yeah, he left at the end of 2005. Most remembered for bombing a try against the Tigers in 2005 that SBW set up and for having a tooth lodged in his head for weeks.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Wasn't the tooth lodged in his forearm? I could be wrong lol, but I do remember reading about that.

And yep he was 05 and 06 vintage Timmah - but if he was getting paid anything whatsoever, he was overpaid :lol: