What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we up for a fight??

forward pass

Coach
Theres something I have been thinking about for a while and I am keen to see who agrees with me.

It seems that our side for a number of years just hasn't been a team that enjoy a tough battle. When we get on a roll and things are going well - we can be awesome. But when the opposition turn up ready to give it us - we seem to meekly surrender knowing its not going to be our day. We rarely seem to tough a match out anymore.

When was the last time we have fought back from being behind? When the opposition have got on a roll - how many times have we managed to stop them? This year - never !

Almost every match we have lost has been a flogging. The only close one was the Bulldogs match and even then we lead 10-0 after 10 minutes but couldn't score another try until late. Once the dogs got on a roll we just fell in a hole.

We have had some great wins - but some appalling losses. Even the tigers game we won in extra time should never have got to that. We let them back in. I just think the team needs to learn to fight out a match for 80 minutes.

Maybe its a lack of passion. It may also be a lack of any real bonding the side seems to have. Their just doesn't seem to be too much fight and its really disappointing.

All players will have their bad days. But why do we all seem have one at the same time - every time. Is it because the rest of the team drop their bundle when they see a few guys not playing well. I can't accept how easily we have let the opposition score first.

Having a bad day is one thing - but 6 or 7 with plenty of rounds left to play is a bit much.

Does any one else agree that we need things to go our way or we just don't have the fight in us? Maybe the blame lies in our forwards for not dominating enough. I don't know but we just don't have the x factor.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I just think the side is mentally soft, i still don't think the club has gotten over the stigma of the 98 semi's loss against the Dog's. Most sides know that if they can hang with us they will get on top of us and win. Or it can just be like Monday night and we don't show up at all.

BS copped the blame for all the choking, but from what i have seen this year nothing much has changed.

The Colonel

Immortal
Look at the ladder FP...... there is only really one team that at this stage hasn't done anything similar to us and even then the Storm have looked vulnerable. Eagles lost a game against the Dogs they shouldn't have and the Cowboys were smashed in successive weeks by lesser sides.

I think it is the nature of the competition at this point in time that results like Monday night are becoming prevalent.

Kornstar

Coach
hineyrulz said:
I just think the side is mentally soft, i still don't think the club has gotten over the stigma of the 98 semi's loss against the Dog's. Most sides know that if they can hang with us they will get on top of us and win. Or it can just be like Monday night and we don't show up at all.

BS copped the blame for all the choking, but from what i have seen this year nothing much has changed.

I agree with the top part of this quote, all any team has to do to beat us is turn up more enthusiastic, which is pretty easy, if they can play relatively mistake free against us and score one or two tries, we are gone......

I do honestly believe that BS still has alot to do with our mental state, regardless of him not being here because NOTHING has changed in our style, we still have alot of the same chokers we had when BS was here. Hagan needs time to change the attitude, it will not happen this year, maybe not even next year, but hopefully it happens.

Hagan needs to overhaul everything in the offseason, he said that he did not want to change too much straight away, i am hoping that he changes it in the offseaon, not because i am upset about the loss on Monday but because i really believe we need a complete change of style, i want to see some innovation, much like Belamy has in Melbourne, Sheens at the Tigers and Bennett always has at the Bronco's. We have the talent coming through to build something special so i would like to see Hagan really utilise it considering he has gone with the building our own policy......

eels_fan_01

Bench
I started watching footy in 1999 so im glad i missed that 1998 diaster but honestly what the hell does a semi in 1998 have to do with this year. We have a new coach and how many players from that game....maybe 2 at best. I think 2001 would be more to do with this side as Cayless, Hindmarsh, Marsh, Burt etc all played in that game atleast.

We beat Tigers in golden point this year....thats a start. But i guess id have to agree because i dont think we have won many close games.

forward pass

Coach
The Colonel said:
Look at the ladder FP...... there is only really one team that at this stage hasn't done anything similar to us and even then the Storm have looked vulnerable. Eagles lost a game against the Dogs they shouldn't have and the Cowboys were smashed in successive weeks by lesser sides.

I think it is the nature of the competition at this point in time that results like Monday night are becoming prevalent.

When have the Storm not turned up to play? Once or twice in two seasons. And they are never gone until the siren goes.

Sea Eagles have won plenty of close contests. They love a battle - as do the dogs.

It isn't about the result on Monday night - its our lack of fight when we are losing - and killer instinct when in front. We simply don't have it and haven't for a number of years.

cirque

Juniors
I think, if we can keep the youngster for another 2 - 3 years, they will be a great player. I think we have to be ruthless. I am quite optimistic that Hagan will bring this attitude to the team. The attitude, which we cultured for 10 years, Hagan, cannot change overnight. It takes time but it has to start somewhere. Yes we did not win any close game. I mean common be practical - if a captain of a team says, "we need a try to wake us up" - I do not expect any fighting spirit from the team. We just need to get rid of old players.. Probably may be youngsters.. will bring some fighting spirit. Yes we are too soft - we do not have fighting spirit that is awful. In these days in sports if you do not have the attitude of NEVER DIE - you are gone... I cannot think any other solution other than brining sports psychology.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

eels_fan_01

Bench
cirque said:
I think, if we can keep the youngster for another 2 - 3 years, they will be a great player. I think we have to be ruthless. I am quite optimistic that Hagan will bring this attitude to the team. The attitude, which we cultured for 10 years, Hagan, cannot change overnight. It takes time but it has to start somewhere. Yes we did not win any close game. I mean common be practical - if a captain of a team says, "we need a try to wake us up" - I do not expect any fighting spirit from the team. We just need to get rid of old players.. Probably may be youngsters.. will bring some fighting spirit. Yes we are too soft - we do not have fighting spirit that is awful. In these days in sports if you do not have the attitude of NEVER DIE - you are gone... I cannot think any other solution other than brining sports psychology.

Please mate....i love at sports psychology they are useless.

The will to win comes from inside you. Hindmarsh makes 50 tackles because he has heart not because he sat on a lounge and told some guy about hes "problems".

I think your being very dramatic, "yes we are soft". We have outplayed many packs this year.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
eels_fan_01 said:
I started watching footy in 1999 so im glad i missed that 1998 diaster but honestly what the hell does a semi in 1998 have to do with this year. We have a new coach and how many players from that game....maybe 2 at best. I think 2001 would be more to do with this side as Cayless, Hindmarsh, Marsh, Burt etc all played in that game atleast.

We beat Tigers in golden point this year....thats a start. But i guess id have to agree because i dont think we have won many close games.
The thing is, ever since that Semi we have been labelled choker's, and we have really done nothing since then to disprove this. Even the Semi against the Storm last year was there for the taking. But when the big moments arrive in the big games we just go to water.

thedux

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
It all starts with the culture and attitude.

And i think that's the problem.
Those of us who remember the Norths sides of the 80's will relate to this. No matter how well they were going, you knew they couldn't win it; it was Norths!!
And the Sharks sides of the 90's were great until the finals but it was the Sharks ffs!!
Ask yor mates who follow other clubs if Parra can win the comp and they'll say no, cause it's Parra!!
The faces and names may have changed but the attitude has been this way for a while now.
It won't stop me from going and hoping but i cheer with a fair bit of resignation these days just like the Bears and Sharks supporters did.

eels_fan_01

Bench
hineyrulz said:
The thing is, ever since that Semi we have been labelled choker's, and we have really done nothing since then to disprove this. Even the Semi against the Storm last year was there for the taking. But when the big moments arrive in the big games we just go to water.

Labelled chokers under Brian Smith. We have a new coach now, we havent played finals under him so we will see....

spiderdan

Bench
i've said for about ten years now that we are one of the worst sides for chasing points. that's the way it has seemed to me anyway. if it's right then i don't know if it's a culture withing the club.

that said i also think that at our best we can beat any side in the comp this year. i'm not fussed about the loss as we are still in the top 4 and i remember the roosters belting us 26-0 at parra stadium in 2000 when we were the only side that could keep close to the broncos come finals time.

hopefully we keep a spot in the top 4 then fire in the finals.

Suitman

Post Whore
thedux said:
Ask yor mates who follow other clubs if Parra can win the comp and they'll say no, cause it's Parra!!
The faces and names may have changed but the attitude has been this way for a while now.
It won't stop me from going and hoping but i cheer with a fair bit of resignation these days just like the Bears and Sharks supporters did.

I've followed them for near on 38 years and that's pretty much how I feel. We have developed not only a reputation, but a culture

tbh, When I read that poll in the papers last week and came across the question "which team has the softest pack?", I fully expected to see us there. This is not a dig, more the way I see the way we play.

On the other hand, I sometimes ask myself, "if I followed someone else, like Saints or the Sharks, would I feel the same way?". The answer is invariably yes.
That answer always consoles me.

Suity

Fathead

Bench
FP see my post of a couple of days ago on the 'Halves Predictable' forum where I have basically said the same thing.

The losses aginst the Raiders and Newcastle definately highlighted the problem.
I dont mind losing bit when we get flogged unexpectedly by teams we should beat easily - I worry. That and the slow starts definately show its a mental problem.

There are excuses trotted up - 16 days, We cant back up etc...
We are heart attack material thats for sure.

I personally put it down to a leadership problem. We need someone there who are willing to fire the players up and not necessarily a star.
IMO I would give Piggy a bigger leadership role which would force him to be less of a clown and more a leader or is there another player in the club that will get up the players when they are running around with their heads in their asses, like Grothe was on Monday night?

Fathead

Bench
Suitman said:
I've followed them for near on 38 years and that's pretty much how I feel. We have developed not only a reputation, but a culture

tbh, When I read that poll in the papers last week and came across the question "which team has the softest pack?", I fully expected to see us there. This is not a dig, more the way I see the way we play.

On the other hand, I sometimes ask myself, "if I followed someone else, like Saints or the Sharks, would I feel the same way?". The answer is invariably yes.
That answer always consoles me.

Suity

44 years for me Suity and I know how you feel.
BUt do you recall that match a few years ago against .. was it Norths at the Stadium, when we came our and tore them apart ?
Great memories. I know we cant win every game but we need to show some ticker.

I recall an interview recently wheer one of the Tigers players said that the eels were the hardest pack physically this season. Goes to reinforce that we are flat track bullies.

If I was coaching agianst the eels my only advice would be get up quick and in their faces and physically dominate them. We definately hate anyone standing up to us.

I know that we have some great support staff but I would pay overs for someone like
Terry Gillmister (titans) or Peter Ryan (Broncos) to assist us in our physical application.
We have the potential to be the strongest most physical team in the league esp in the backs but dont - what a waste.

Hurriflatch

Referee
On the original post, I was actually going to make this point but you beat me to it.

It is a massive problem this year that with the expection of the loss to the Dogs every loss has been by a big margin, you could argue that the loss to Manly was only about 10 pts in the end but really that was saved by a late try by Taia.

The losses to the Warriors, Bunnies, , Titans, Raiders and Knights were all massive. Each time Parra getting 30+ points put on them.

It's not losing the games thats the problem it's the manner in which they have been lost.

Fathead

Bench
VERY SIMPLY the answer is this...

We lose about 95% of games against the Bulldogs and
we win about 95% of games against the Tigers.

One is a hard dominating team, the other is a more skillful throw it around team that doesnt intimidate.

spiderdan said:
i've said for about ten years now that we are one of the worst sides for chasing points. that's the way it has seemed to me anyway. if it's right then i don't know if it's a culture withing the club.

that said i also think that at our best we can beat any side in the comp this year. i'm not fussed about the loss as we are still in the top 4 and i remember the roosters belting us 26-0 at parra stadium in 2000 when we were the only side that could keep close to the broncos come finals time.

hopefully we keep a spot in the top 4 then fire in the finals.

i think its also a perception of the eels as mentally weak by the other teams if they were down by 18 points against the storm or manly they would think "we're gone" and give up but if they are down by 18 points against us and think "its only the eels, if we can hang on they will go to water" it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in a way and it won't really change until we are the ones who fight back from behind and win a big game

Bigfella

Coach
We haven't really changed the leadership culture of the club since 2001.

One reason I was disappointed with blokes like Riddell, Morrisson and Stringer was that I thought they would bring that hard nosed win at all costs attitude, but didn't.

I have in recent years attributed a lot of this to Nathan Cayless - not so much on the forums but as a personal opinion. Mind you he has been excellent this year and the tendency is still there.

Players have to take responsibility for it collectively. Not sure whether Tim Smith, who I think has all the football talent in the world, has the drive and leadership to provide it as the playmaker, as a opposed to the captain.

Guys like Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Paul Harragon, Ben Kennedy, Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ray Price can make teams win matches with force of personality and determination.

Who in our side can do that?

2007 is the time for someone to step up and answer that.

Latest posts