What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC still 'Sydney-centric'

Great article in The Courier-Mail this morning. I am hardly surprised that despite the new organisational structure that Queensland is still not consulted. A bit of a disgrace, though.

Queensland Rugby League boss Peter Betros says game suffers from 'Sydney-centric' attitude

FRUSTRATED Queensland Rugby League chairman Peter Betros claims the code is still suffering from a "Sydney-centric" attitude.

While Queenslanders continue to dominate the game on the field, they are rarely asked to contribute to the code's running.

Betros, who has been in the job for six months, said the QRL was not even consulted about the ARL Commission's five-year strategic plan.

The lengthy and important document, which was released last October, set out the future of the code from grassroots to the NRL and even featured the new logo plastered across every level of the game.

Yet Queensland officials had no say on the crucial decisions contained in the document.

The treatment of the state comes despite Queensland's development systems producing an Origin team that will run on to ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night trying to win an eighth consecutive series.

Betros praised the attitude of ARL Commission chairman John Grant, who he says was "horrified" to learn of the strategic plan oversight.

But Betros said Queensland was still struggling to have its voice heard in a sea of Sydney-focused league bureaucrats.

"The problem inherent in our game is that even with a Commission the game is still Sydney-centric," Betros said.

"All the decisions still get made in Sydney. A lot of the time they forget to consult anyone else.

"They think whatever they decide in Sydney will be right for everyone.

"It is a battle I'm really fighting."

Betros said NRL chief executive David Smith's appointment was a positive for Queenslanders as he cared about the big picture, but there was a hangover from pre-ARLC days that hampered progress.

"A great example (of Sydney-centric attitude) is last year they released their NRL strategic plan and we were never consulted on it," Betros said.

"They came up here and we thought it was to discuss what the strategic plan would be. Instead they presented it to us.

"They had done months of work on it and they gave us all these key performance indicators, but we had no input on any of it.

"The first thing I did when I took the chair in December was talk to John Grant and then David Smith and I told them I was not happy about the process.

"John Grant was horrified to learn about (Queensland being ignored) and Dave understands how important a whole-of-game vision is.

"Now QRL chief executive Robert Moore sits on the senior management level of the Commission and they meet every Monday.

"That is a huge step forward. Progress is being made slowly but it will take time."

The bits in bold say it all, don't they?

Edit: Forgot the source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...centric-attitude/story-fniabjcr-1226678174606

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Does the ALRC consult anyone else?

I say sack John Grant, the board and David Smith.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
No surprise. What do you expect from an administration that expects a Brisbane - Melbourne Grand Final to be played in Sydney? and don't bring up stadium capacity with me because I'm going to throw "MCG" straight back at you.

Teddyboy

First Grade
2 years ago everyone was saying how the IC was going to do wonder's for the game and this is a time when crowd's were quite solid but all that has happened with that Grant twat and Rugby Union Taff is crowd's have dropped/TV rating's have dropped alongside stupid rules change's and yet despite trying to make Rugby League a softer version of it's former self they still won't have Touch/Tag Rugby under there umbrella.
f**k um.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Ive said this a few times nnow but imo the NRL administration has not gotten any better.

We just got a billion and we are going backwards, crowds, ratings and even the final product is down.

Dave Smith needs to f**k off and leave our game alone, go play Rugby you rahrah loving soft merkin.

franklin2323

Immortal
Does the ALRC consult anyone else?

This. The ARLC is meant to be independent. The moment they start consulting everyone they lose that independance. :lol::lol: Good to see the murdoch press is as rubbish up there as down. Let me guess News 'messah' Gallop consulted everyone?

betcats

Referee
Who cares what Gallop did or didnt do. We are talking about the ARLC, gallop being poor doesnt automatically make the ARLC good.

franklin2323

Immortal
Who cares what Gallop did or didnt do. We are talking about the ARLC, gallop being poor doesnt automatically make the ARLC good.

No it doesn't. Too soon to judge on the current setup like only 3 of the 7 managers haven't even started yet. I was just saying that news is anti Grant from them giving Gallop the ass.

We didn't get a reserve grade comp as QLD Cup would be weakened. If the ARLC want one we should get 1. Going up there to listen to QRL whinge is going to achieve anything. Or Brisbane 2 coming in. We expand the best 2 business plans should get in. Again aside from checking out the plans in person talking to people outside the bids achieve nothing.

So I see no problems with them not consulting with everyone before every decision. There's an issue with the cap. Concerned parties have an issue with the Salary Cap they speak to Jim Doyle he can take that to the ARLC. Rather then the other way around.

Bengal

Juniors
The game is being blown apart from within - it doesn't matter where those that are doing the damage reside - it only matters what they're doing!!!

franklin2323

Immortal
The game is being blown apart from within - it doesn't matter where those that are doing the damage reside - it only matters what they're doing!!!

Exactly. There is now managers with KPI's etc. If there's issue's it's up to the managers (Greenburg, Doyle and co) to investigate and go to the ARLC to fix it. Not the ARLC to bypass the managers

betcats

Referee
The problem is the ARLC hired a rugby union f**kwit who is intent on softening our game up and basically knows f**k all about League.

betcats

Referee
2 years ago everyone was saying how the IC was going to do wonder's for the game and this is a time when crowd's were quite solid but all that has happened with that Grant twat and Rugby Union Taff is crowd's have dropped/TV rating's have dropped alongside stupid rules change's and yet despite trying to make Rugby League a softer version of it's former self they still won't have Touch/Tag Rugby under there umbrella.
f**k um.

This somes it up for me, they have not lived up to their expectations at all, feels like we are going backwards.

Of course it's Sydney-centric and it always will be.

The whole agenda is driven by Sydney people, not just on the ARLC, but in the majority of NRL clubs, the media and even government to some extent.

It's just another reason why the game will never live up to its potential.

The fact is, Sydney people still think the own the sport and have every right to ignore the rest of the game, whether that be in Australia or globally. Of course, there are people in other parts of Australia who have the same attitude towards the game overseas, but Sydney would still be the worst.

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem is the ARLC hired a rugby union f**kwit who is intent on softening our game up and basically knows f**k all about League.

Yeah but is just a glorified manager. Greenburg and them are the one's making the decisions. Daniel Anderson and the referee's made the sin bin for fighting rule.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The games not Sydney-centric anymore, it's Sydney/Brisbane-centric! If your not working on the game in NSW or Queensland your going to have a hell of a time just getting the attention of the leaders of our game.

If you think that your being ignored by the ARLC up in Queensland or in NSW try being from VIC, SA, WA, the NT, TAS or ACT.

thorson1987

Coach
No surprise. What do you expect from an administration that expects a Brisbane - Melbourne Grand Final to be played in Sydney? and don't bring up stadium capacity with me because I'm going to throw "MCG" straight back at you.

So you expect the ARLC to change stadiums for a grand final when the teams are only decided the week beforehand.

What would happen if Suncorp did host the grand final and it was an all Sydney grand final.