What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC still 'Sydney-centric'

No surprise. What do you expect from an administration that expects a Brisbane - Melbourne Grand Final to be played in Sydney? and don't bring up stadium capacity with me because I'm going to throw "MCG" straight back at you.

1. Melbourne's not a rugby league city so they don't deserve the grand final.
2. Suncorp is a great stadium but 52k capacity isn't good enough for the biggest game of the year. Increase the capacity and you have a case.

BunniesMan

Immortal
f**k Queensland. Queensland needs to understand Rugby League is Sydney-centric. The NRL is Sydney-centric.

Queenslanders should be thankful that they're even welcome in our game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No and this is probably a big part of my frustration. The time is ripe to make a massive stride forward for RL here but we need help. Registrations in WA have gone up 15% this year in WA but that is inspite of rather than because of the ARL. Example: We have had a new jnr club start up in mandurah this year and hearing the challenges they have faced to get up and running is very frustrating. If it wasn't for a couple of dedicated individuals and parents digging deep in their own pockets they would have folded before they could start. As it is they are up and running and fielding teams from u6 to u15 already. A$20k start up grant from the ARL plus a national insurance scheme and equipment would have made a world of difference. The warl needs more funding to help the start up of new clubs, increase our high school program and grow the game. The time is now in WA not in 3 or 4 years.

You point to one new club and say "if we gave them 20 grand and insurance they would be viable"

And you know what, that is very apt of you. That is exactly what 1000+ other junior clubs want/need to be viable as well, and they are all asking the one big governing body for the same thing. The ARLC want to help i imagine, it would be a great way to improve junior leagues.

But here is the problem. You are just looking at this one club, the ARLC is looking at that one club and the 1000 others like it. what you want them to do is write that one junior club a check. What they want to do is create an efficient and well run governing system that would allow junior clubs to ask for these grants and for the money to be handed out when and where it is needed.

This is what people dont appreciate about big governments. You look at one small thing and ask why they havent done anything. The government looks at that same thing 1000 times over across the country and asks how can we help them all.

But that takes time and patients and you have to realise that you are not actually special.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont think they are rubbish, the commission is a good thing, they are just making some rubbish decisions imo like the shoulder charge ban, one punch rule, even the hiring of someone who loves our biggest rival sport and knows nothing about our sport as the CEO is questionable.

Would you prefer Tommy Raudonikis to be the NRL CEO? He loves the sport.

Or do you want someone smart and capable and... hang on, David Smith was also a multinational bank manager wasn't he?

But nah, he played Union as a kid in Wales, f**k him off quick before his working class stink rubs off.

thorson1987

Coach
No and this is probably a big part of my frustration. The time is ripe to make a massive stride forward for RL here but we need help. Registrations in WA have gone up 15% this year in WA but that is inspite of rather than because of the ARL. Example: We have had a new jnr club start up in mandurah this year and hearing the challenges they have faced to get up and running is very frustrating. If it wasn't for a couple of dedicated individuals and parents digging deep in their own pockets they would have folded before they could start. As it is they are up and running and fielding teams from u6 to u15 already. A$20k start up grant from the ARL plus a national insurance scheme and equipment would have made a world of difference. The warl needs more funding to help the start up of new clubs, increase our high school program and grow the game. The time is now in WA not in 3 or 4 years.

You do realise that new junior clubs in NSW and QLD face the exact same problem.

Loudstrat

Coach
Great article in The Courier-Mail this morning. I am hardly surprised that despite the new organisational structure that Queensland is still not consulted. A bit of a disgrace, though.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...centric-attitude/story-fniabjcr-1226678174606
Good bait - reeled a few in. But you are still a f*cking dimwit. Can anyone tell me what the QRL have to do with the NRL?

The QRL look after league in their state at sub-NRL level.

Even if they were relelvent - is the only other place the code is played in Sydney?

F*cking paranoid idiots :lol:

My comments have never mentioned Sydney centric. I have mentioned lack of consultation in the setting of the strategic plan and lack of action to meet the kpi's, particularly in terms of growing attendances, memberships and grassroots.

Again things they have done:
Brought development officers under a national management
Given clubs $8mill bailout cash
Up'd the clubs grants and salary cap
Supported the tonga v Samoa test
Funded a development officer for the Pilbara

You may consider this adequate activity for nine months work?
By whinging about the irrellevent QRL not being consulted, you are agreeing with their stupid "Sydneycentric" whinge.

franklin2323

Immortal
A$20k start up grant from the ARL plus a national insurance scheme and equipment would have made a world of difference.

Take a survey amongst most Country footy teams most have the same problem. Hell Soccer clubs in Sydney cost Hundreds per year.

To fund every junior club would be millions a year. Simply not sustainable. So they need to find a way to help all of the junior clubs long term. Sadly it's a slow process

Nerd

Bench
Even if they were relelvent - is the only other place the code is played in Sydney?

Umm Townsville, Auckland, Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle and Melbourne...

Seriously though the only part of the NRL that I find Sydney centric is the refereeing ranks. If your not based in Sydney you can't be an NRL ref. Surely there has to be 1 or 2 refs outside of Sydney that must be better than Klein for example?

Perth Red

Post Whore
By whinging about the irrellevent QRL not being consulted, you are agreeing with their stupid "Sydneycentric" whinge.

No I suggested they took an autocratic approach to the games strategic plan, nothing to do with Sydney centric. If they had consulted with just the nswrl then qrl may have a point but to best of our knowledge they didn't consult with anyone.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The ARLC does not need anyones permission. The whole point of the ARLC was to get past the bullshit factionalism and "us and them" rubbish that all these irrelevant nobodies handicapped the game with.

The ARLC knows what it is doing.

Loudstrat

Coach
Engagement? Again, what the f*ck have the QRL got to do with the NRL comp?????

If the Taree City Bulls want to bung on an end of season barbie and darts night - do they need to consult with the f*cking QRL??????

Perth Red

Post Whore
Engagement? Again, what the f*ck have the QRL got to do with the NRL comp?????

If the Taree City Bulls want to bung on an end of season barbie and darts night - do they need to consult with the f*cking QRL??????

You do realise it as an ARL strategic plan for the whole game not just the NRL don't you?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why involve the games stakeholders, all of them, in the formation of a 5 year long plan for the whole game? Yeh what a waste of time that would be. Someone get on to every govt DEpt, every ngo and most future focused businesses, they are wasting millions consulting people.

Loudstrat

Coach
How about the fact that at every opportunity the QRL work to erode NSW due to their rampant paranoia? The ARLC is run by a Queenslander ffs! How is that Sydney centric?

Its like the whingers from Perth - blaming everything on Sydney and the ARL, rather than Superegue from Brisbane that killed them in the first place.

Seems as long as you have a finger to point, you dont need to think. Have enough fingers (11 upwards) and you dont need a brain at all.