What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC still 'Sydney-centric'

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope and they shouldn't be either. The ARLC do what they think is best for the game not what QRL, NSWRL or CRL want

That's a great model for disenfranchising your stakeholders and causing a breakaway.

Having done a few of these in my time the normal methodology for an organisation that wants to be inclusive and ensure its strategic goals meet the expectations of its stakeholders is:
1) consultation workshops with key stakeholder groups to identify priorities
2) development of a draft plan which is put out for feedback
3) launch of final plan

Or you can be autocratic, think you know best and tell everyone what you have decided and how it will effect them. The wisdom in the business world is that the former produces better outcomes than the latter.

I'm quite surprised that Grant is "shocked" by the process undertaken. Surely as chairman he would have had to ok it?

franklin2323

Immortal
That's a great model for disenfranchising your stakeholders and causing a breakaway.

Having done a few of these in my time the normal methodology for an organisation that wants to be inclusive and ensure its strategic goals meet the expectations of its stakeholders is:
1) consultation workshops with key stakeholder groups to identify priorities
2) development of a draft plan which is put out for feedback
3) launch of final plan

Or you can be autocratic, think you know best and tell everyone what you have decided and how it will effect them. The wisdom in the business world is that the former produces better outcomes than the latter.

I'm quite surprised that Grant is "shocked" by the process undertaken. Surely as chairman he would have had to ok it?

We put in the independent commission so we didn't have the different boards fighting and putting self interest over what's good for the game. The listen to them before making a decision we are back to the old days.

Lets use the salary cap as an example. Enough clubs complained to Jim Doyle (Not the ARLC) and it's getting looked at. So it's not like it's run like a dictatorship. QRL don't like something speak to the relavant person and get it changed.

News have been anti-Grant since he got rid of Gallop. Remember Smith has only been in the job for 6 months Greenburg hasn't even started yet. Stuff is being done but slowly as not to wreck what we have.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think the NSWRL, QRL & CRL have had enough years of acting for their own benefit to the exclusion of everything else that their opinion deserves to be ignored

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
franklin's knocked the issue out of the park.

The point of the commission was to bring us into an era where the self interests of state boards weren't hampering the best interests of the game, which they've done for a good 15-20 odd years.

As for QLD "not being consulted" - they must've had some input around the logos because they're the only ones who didn't get a standard football on the logo, but their iconic "Q".

The guy's full of shit.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong the Commission imo stuffed up not expanding in this TV deal and not taking 10's offer but we are no worst off then we were before in both those decisions.

I think the issue isn't that the QRL, and CRL etc etc, didn't get to write the documents, but, as Perth Red said, that there was no consultation and that the finished product has shown up as a fait accompli. Certainly, if that happened in my line of work there would be uproar.

Given the history of rugby league in Australia has had lot of self-interest running the show for years (Arko and Manly, anyone? Changing the Origin schedule to "swap" a home game just as Queensland is coming up to a eight-peat anyone? A million examples exist from the last hundred and a bit years) you'd think that the ARLC would be going out of there way to show that there is actually some form of corporate governance trumping self-interest.

The fact that the people from Sydney here are the ones who think there isn't a problem that everyone else can see is probably verification enough.

M2D2

Bench
No surprise. What do you expect from an administration that expects a Brisbane - Melbourne Grand Final to be played in Sydney? and don't bring up stadium capacity with me because I'm going to throw "MCG" straight back at you.
You mean that AFL also do this because MCG holds the most people?
Throw WHAT back in our face exactly? To prove the point?

franklin's knocked the issue out of the park.

The point of the commission was to bring us into an era where the self interests of state boards weren't hampering the best interests of the game, which they've done for a good 15-20 odd years.

As for QLD "not being consulted" - they must've had some input around the logos because they're the only ones who didn't get a standard football on the logo, but their iconic "Q".

The guy's full of shit.

I hardly think so. The article wasn't about consultation with logos. It was about the five year strategic plan. Which you would think the QRL (and NSWRL and CRL) would at least be consulted about before the document was produced in its final form because the strategic plan is going to effect how they conduct their operations for the next half a decade.

I wonder if the NSWRL was consulted? Anyone know?

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the issue isn't that the QRL, and CRL etc etc, didn't get to write the documents, but, as Perth Red said, that there was no consultation and that the finished product has shown up as a fait accompli. Certainly, if that happened in my line of work there would be uproar.

Given the history of rugby league in Australia has had lot of self-interest running the show for years (Arko and Manly, anyone? Changing the Origin schedule to "swap" a home game just as Queensland is coming up to a eight-peat anyone? A million examples exist from the last hundred and a bit years) you'd think that the ARLC would be going out of there way to show that there is actually some form of corporate governance trumping self-interest.

The fact that the people from Sydney here are the ones who think there isn't a problem that everyone else can see is probably verification enough.

John Grant's a QLDer so hardly ALL NSW Commission.

So NSW just got the extra origin game?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/blues-stitch-up-origin-home-advantage/4381502

Wally Lewis doesn't think so so blame your Government.

Do you agree we need a Reserve Grade comp?

I do. Doing so will lessen Newtown and Bears names from a NSW point of view

So what if QRL said no sorry we want our comp as is? It doesn't go ahead?

The good of the game is the better thing then the state.

Why doesn't the QRL do something useful and negioate a better staduim deal for all 3 NRL teams up there

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
John Grant's a QLDer so hardly ALL NSW Commission.

So NSW just got the extra origin game?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/blues-stitch-up-origin-home-advantage/4381502

Wally Lewis doesn't think so so blame your Government.

Do you agree we need a Reserve Grade comp?

I do. Doing so will lessen Newtown and Bears names.

So what if QRL said no sorry we want our comp as is?

The good of the game is the better thing then the state.

Why doesn't the QRL do something useful and negioate a better staduim deal for all 3 NRL teams up there

I agree totally with what you are saying about QRL, NSWRL etc looking out for their own interests but to just ignore these organisations would be idiotic.

_snafu_

Immortal
LOL. What a bunch of sooks.

The document is aspirational and contains high level non-specific goals that do not require consultation.

firechild

First Grade

The QRL represents the interests of Queenslanders so therefore its primary focus is to whinge and moan that it's not fair and do absolutely nothing to change what they perceive as an injustice by the big bad bully, NSW.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree totally with what you are saying about QRL, NSWRL etc looking out for their own interests but to just ignore these organisations would be idiotic.

The ARLC may be duds but Greenburg hasn't even started yet. He would be 1 consulting not the Commission. So see where we are in 2 years or so then judge

Frailty

First Grade
It honestly reeks of Queensland having a whinge to get some sort of leveredge.

- There is nothing in that article that says NSW, CRL, or any other affiliates were consulted.
- The strategic plan is high level goals for the game. There is no need to consult on this level. When the detailed planning documents about how to achieve these goals is developed, I guarantee there will be consultation.
- The person who suggested moving the NRL grand final to the MCG when Brisbane and Melbourne play... All events would need to be moved, its not just simply the game, it is unlikely the MCG would be available given the AFL semi finals and Grand Final.
- The Courier Mail is hardly an objective paper by any means - the competition being dominated by Queenslanders, but its seemingly likely that all 3 qld sides will miss the finals this year.
- Chairman has been in job for 6 months, document was released 8 months ago...
- Article says QRL were not consulted on 'crucial decisions'... What were these crucial decisions? Were they consulted on 'non-crucial' issues?
- What Sydney-centric decisions have been made?

Perth Red

Post Whore
News ltd agenda aside the honeymoon period for the commission is over and fans want to see some tangible initiatives to get us heading towards meeting the strategic goals. The game is rolling in money, has more office human resources being paid more salaries than ever before. They were quick enough to dish out hand outs to clubs and raise the grants, now lets see some action that benefits fans and grass roots.

The 5 year plan is quickly becoming a 4 year plan.