What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Jono078

Referee
Nicho Hynes leading the Sharks to a grand final qualifier..

If only we had the foresight and balls to move an ageing Pearce on and put ourselves in the running for Hynes (or Reynolds).

Trying to hold onto Pearce for an extra year has really set us back. One of the worst decisions the club has made in recent times.

Yosh

Coach
Nicho Hynes leading the Sharks to a grand final qualifier..

If only we had the foresight and balls to move an ageing Pearce on and put ourselves in the running for Hynes (or Reynolds).

Trying to hold onto Pearce for an extra year has really set us back. One of the worst decisions the club has made in recent times.
I dunno. I like Hynes. We would have ruined his career. I hope he does well.

Jono078

Referee
I went off too early, but point still remains.

There was no guarantees with Hynes, but AOB himself said on Toohey's podcast that they didn't think Pearce's body was up to another season of NRL.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Watching the finals makes me even more angry. Rugby League is such an amazing sport. Why the £*#k do we have to be so crap for so many years.
I know, it’s like as Knights fans we’re continuously locked out of the cool kids club. As in the teams that actually play positive and entertaining footy. It really is like we’re playing a different sport.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I am really hoping the club is watching Rohan Smith closely over in the UK. What he has done with Leeds is pretty incredible. Apple has not fallen far from the tree. Has old man Brian’s tactical nous. That club were an absolute rabble when he took over. Running second last mid season. They have now made the finals and are the form side of the comp.

Yosh

Coach
I wish our players cared enough to get sinned binned. What a game. Besides skill and all that, passion is 70% in rugby league. Pity our players couldn't give a rats arse... Especially our captain.

Nuke

Staff member
I was thinking similar. Look how hard those players ran and tackled today. That was a brutal game.

Very sadly, the Knights are so far behind their pace ... and these were 2 teams that finished in the lower half of the top 8.

Apey

Staff member
I was thinking similar. Look how hard those players ran and tackled today. That was a brutal game.

Very sadly, the Knights are so far behind their pace ... and these were 2 teams that finished in the lower half of the top 8.
I mean, the game was thoroughly entertaining but it had little to do with the skill on display. I don't think either team played that well really.

I am really hoping the club is watching Rohan Smith closely over in the UK. What he has done with Leeds is pretty incredible. Apple has not fallen far from the tree. Has old man Brian’s tactical nous. That club were an absolute rabble when he took over. Running second last mid season. They have now made the finals and are the form side of the comp.

Did amazing things at North's to in Qcup. He certainly has his old man's knack

Nuke

Staff member
I mean, the game was thoroughly entertaining but it had little to do with the skill on display. I don't think either team played that well really.
Exactly. I don't need the Knights to be showy, flashy, or skillful. We never were in the pre-Johns era.
The Knights were built on heart, passion, and giving everything you've got for your teammates, your club, and your town. Newcastle was a fortress that other teams feared to go to because they KNEW they were going to get bruised and would have to work hard for the 2 competition points.

Now, the Knights players are mostly there because they're being paid to (not because they want to represent Newcastle) and a lot of them wouldn't get a run at any other NRL club. Newcastle doesn't intimidate anyone anymore, and the main reason other clubs want to beat us is because, really, they don't want to lose to the Knights.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I know, it’s like as Knights fans we’re continuously locked out of the cool kids club. As in the teams that actually play positive and entertaining footy. It really is like we’re playing a different sport.
I wish I could not care about the team until we start getting good, then just jump back on the bandwagon. Unfortunately all of us here, I’m sure, just can’t do that.
Now, the Knights players are mostly there because they're being paid to (not because they want to represent Newcastle) and a lot of them wouldn't get a run at any other NRL club. Newcastle doesn't intimidate anyone anymore, and the main reason other clubs want to beat us is because, really, they don't want to lose to the Knights.
I’m born and raised in Brissy and only ever visited Newcastle 4 times in my life, yet I’ve got more passion for the club than most of our players.

Knight Tales

Juniors
What I do know is when we start winning again and being successful, I will not be feeling sorry for any of the other 16 sides when we beat them. I want to feel that expectation of victory when we in our golden era of 1997-2001. Could be a while but man I miss that.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
What I do know is when we start winning again and being successful, I will not be feeling sorry for any of the other 16 sides when we beat them. I want to feel that expectation of victory when we in our golden era of 1997-2001. Could be a while but man I miss that.
Same. I remember a quote from -somewhere- at about that time. It said that Newcastle (up to that point) was "everyone's 2nd favourite team ... until they thumped you!"
... or words to that effect anyway.

Well, I think 18yrs of receding fortunes has meant that when we start winning again, we might have a lot of secondary support once again.

And yeah, I really miss that golden age too. I was 16-20yrs old in those years you specified. Life was really good for someone just starting life as an adult.
Now I'm a middle-aged man, and if another golden age were to occur in my lifetime, I will not take it for granted. That time passes by so fleetingly!

Spot On

Coach
Might need to develop some rugby league players to achieve that.

Haven’t produced many if any, of note for close to 20 years.

Bdubs

Juniors
over the past 10 years we have had some really good junior sides coming though that win the comp or play in the grand final, yet none of them really come through into first grade level.

We need to work out why that is. Once we work that out, then we can look at becoming a club like Penrith, otherwise its going to be much of the same unfortunately

Latest posts