What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Jono078

Referee
Just a random thread to discuss what's happening in the NRL and not involving the Knights..

Who would have ever thought a team could have a 100% completion rate and concede over 50 points... welcome to NRL 2021.

Now more than ever you are rewarded for chancing your arm and a team of footballers will beat a team of athletes.

I reckon the big scores are a reflection of the huge gap between the top teams and the rest.
Too teams have their heads down and are aware they'll miss some players with SOO.

TooheysNew

Coach
Just a random thread to discuss what's happening in the NRL and not involving the Knights..

Who would have ever thought a team could have a 100% completion rate and concede over 50 points... welcome to NRL 2021.

Now more than ever you are rewarded for chancing your arm and a team of footballers will beat a team of athletes.
Great idea for a thread. Love it.

Apey

Staff member
I like some of the scintillating attack on display but I hate how difficult it is to swing momentum against a team on fire with the ball in hand. Not sure what the solution is. 5m rule? Try scoring team kicks instead of conceding team?

It really just feels like touch football at the moment. If they go crazier with sin bins it will effectively be the 9s.

ryana87

Juniors
I can't see how Walsh is going to be picked for origin..... He's litterally only played like 6 games and while there were flashes vs us on the weekend.... He wasn't that amazling.

The big score lines are a reflection of clubs focusing on defencive technique instead of defencive decision making imo, especially in the outside backs. Communication between players on the edges seems to be lacking too.

While its shit to see blow outs i think the changes are going to be good for the game for the most part.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
The big score lines are a reflection of clubs focusing on defencive technique instead of defencive decision making imo, especially in the outside backs. Communication between players on the edges seems to be lacking too.

While its shit to see blow outs i think the changes are going to be good for the game for the most part.
If you don't like to see blow outs, why are changes to the fabric of the game that increase the number of blowouts "good for the most part"?

Did clubs not focus on defensive decision making prior to 2020? If so, my juniors coaches were unlucky not to get NRL jobs, because they were well ahead of the curve.

If you don't like to see blow outs, why are changes to the fabric of the game that increase the number of blowouts "good for the most part"?

Did clubs not focus on defensive decision making prior to 2020? If so, my juniors coaches were unlucky not to get NRL jobs, because they were well ahead of the curve.
The changes are good cause they eliminated the wrestle, which ironically was choking the life out of the sport

Never said clubs aren't teaching defencive decision making but it's evident it's less of a focus than technique. Have a look at the number of tries being run in through the edges and you'll see poor decisions being the cause.

You've read far too much into what I wrote bud.

Apey

Staff member
Shitney's covid problem is becoming our problem, stadium capacity will be halved.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
$20 for Roosters v Storm tickets, no discount to Knight's members that I can see. Probably because they're cheap enough already.

Jono078

Referee
I am not looking forward to playing Melbourne in a couple of weeks...
I am! We should be as fit as we've been this entire season. They'll have a bunch backing up from origin.

Will be a great test to see where we are at and if we can make something of this season.

Jono078

Referee
I'm actually finding it harder to hate the Storm these days, I'm just too impressed. They turn up each week and each minute of the game no matter the scoreline.

And they've had the same narrative for years now.

Orford is going to be a big loss, how can they replace him?
Folau is a big loss.
GI is a big loss.
Cronk is a big loss
Slater, Smith etc etc

Yet, they just get better.. How? If I win the powerball tonight I'll do what I can to bring Bellamy and his staff here!

Burwood

Bench
I'm actually finding it harder to hate the Storm these days, I'm just too impressed. They turn up each week and each minute of the game no matter the scoreline.

And they've had the same narrative for years now.

Orford is going to be a big loss, how can they replace him?
Folau is a big loss.
GI is a big loss.
Cronk is a big loss
Slater, Smith etc etc

Yet, they just get better.. How? If I win the powerball tonight I'll do what I can to bring Bellamy and his staff here!

I'm in the same boat as you- no Slater and Cam in the side make them much more likeable.

aqua_duck

Coach
Melbourne are just the absolute gold standard in terms of identifying talent and getting the absolute best out of each and every player. What's amazing is Xavier Coates is the 1st player they've signed in 15 years who's a current origin rep, the last one was Michael Crocker in 2006.
Whilst everyone else is throwing stupid money around at overpriced rep players the storm have signed reserve graders/fringe 1st graders like Papenhuyzen, Addo Carr, Jahrome Hughes, Felise Kaufusi, Brandon Smith, Nicho Hynes, Justin Olam, etc and turn them into stars.

perverse

Referee
Melbourne are just the absolute gold standard in terms of identifying talent and getting the absolute best out of each and every player. What's amazing is Xavier Coates is the 1st player they've signed in 15 years who's a current origin rep, the last one was Michael Crocker in 2006.
Whilst everyone else is throwing stupid money around at overpriced rep players the storm have signed reserve graders/fringe 1st graders like Papenhuyzen, Addo Carr, Jahrome Hughes, Felise Kaufusi, Brandon Smith, Nicho Hynes, Justin Olam, etc and turn them into stars.
Curious to see what Bellamy can do with Nick Meaney.

Latest posts