What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Nuke

Staff member
Not that I'm suggesting that he'd have been a good fit here, but the thought flashed through my mind, going back just over 12months, that it may have been possible to have gotten Des here if the club had chosen to move on AOB. Would we have started getting results like this if that had've happened? Possible 'sliding doors' moment.

Woody90

Juniors
Not that I'm suggesting that he'd have been a good fit here, but the thought flashed through my mind, going back just over 12months, that it may have been possible to have gotten Des here if the club had chosen to move on AOB. Would we have started getting results like this if that had've happened? Possible 'sliding doors' moment.

I was so happy we never signed Des and still feel the same tbh.

he doesnt strike me as a coach that would take on a role without a few crucial elements being fulfilled in recruitment, off filed resources etc.

Much like Bennett - he's a winner. He would not have come to Newcastle even if we wanted him.

Jono078

Referee
What an odd season. We’re only 2 wins ahead of last and 2 wins behind being in the top 6. Crucial few weeks coming up to determine if we stay in touch with the 8 or join the spoon battle.

mozza91

Coach
First question out of a reporter's mouth this week should be to address this.
You’re giving way too much credit to the journos. That would require a basic bit of research.
1st question will be: How was the week off?
Then: How far off is Kalyn?
Then maybe a question or 2 about the game against Parra.
Then a few variants of the 3 above questions.

End press conference.

Woody90

Juniors
he doesnt strike me as a coach that would take on a role without a few crucial elements being fulfilled in recruitment, off filed resources etc.

Much like Bennett - he's a winner. He would not have come to Newcastle even if we wanted him.

He was apparently very keen on coming here hence why the Tits moved to quick to move on Holbrook.

Knight Tales

Bench
I think the move for O’Sullivan is the start of a much bigger plan going forward. The man has recruited for Wayne, Bellamy and Robbo. So I would not put too much worth into any coaching contract in this place. He is an enormous carrot for any prospective coach. This is the biggest challenge of O’Sullivan’s career without any shadow of a doubt. He will have plenty to say as he is in a rare position of being the elite in his chosen field. I still cannot believe we signed him.

Woody90

Juniors

He and Green were there last year though. I definitely think there’s been a negative change of tactics but first to last in attack in half a season is so extreme. All our halves and Brails being physically shot doesn’t help.

Nuke

Staff member
I have had the thought in recent weeks that maybe (just maybe!) the 'safety first', plodding approach that we've reverted to after last year's 10 game run is a tactic. We did the same thing last year before switching on the attack and catching the rest of the comp off-guard. For us to just go straight back to uninspiring football in Round 1 this year makes little sense given there wasn't much change to the troops in the off-season.

I mean, most/all of us suspect or believe that AOB-ball is coached into them. The one-out runs. The low-risk, high completion sets. The endless mid-field chip-bombs, ect.

Is this all just to lull the opposition into a false sense of security, so that we come home firing in the back portion of the season? Or it could be possible that I'm overthinking this and we just had a bubble of mojo last season that popped in the off-season..!

While we are just 2 wins off the bottom of the table, we are also only 5 wins off being equal first. If we are going to switch on and go on a run, now is the time.