What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arthur left out of Stuart's crew

EelDredd

Juniors
CARETAKER Parramatta coach Brad Arthur will quit the club in three weeks after being dumped from incoming coach Ricky Stuart's first-grade set-up.
Arthur has played a key part in the Eels' late-season revival, winning two of his opening three games since taking over from ousted coach Stephen Kearney last month.
Despite having one year left on his contract, Arthur has indicated he will explore other options in the NRL after a meeting with Stuart revealed he was surplus to the former NSW coach's needs.
''I have spoken to Ricky and he has indicated that I won't be part of his NRL coaching staff,'' Arthur said. ''I won't be an assistant coach and I want to be involved in the NRL so I guess I've got to see what's out there.
Advertisement
''He has two assistants coming in, which I understand, and if it were me I'd want to bring people I've worked under and trusted.
''I've got to weigh up and see what my options are.''
The Sun-Herald understands that Arthur, who followed Kearney from Melbourne last season, was offered lesser roles, either as the coach of the Eels' NSW Cup team or as an under-20s coach - a competition in which he has already succeeded after winning a title with the Storm in 2009.
The move comes just days after the Storm's under-20s coach Dean Pay announced he would be one of Stuart's assistants with Trent Barrett and Matt Parish contenders to join the club's coaching ranks.
Ironically, it was Pay who took Arthur's job in charge of the Storm youngsters when Arthur was promoted to Craig Bellamy's assistant coach in 2010.
Retiring Eels skipper Nathan Hindmarsh said Arthur had the makings of a first-grade coach.
''It's a bit disappointing,'' Hindmarsh said.
''I'm a big fan of Brad's but that's how it works when a new coach comes in.
''The boys have really responded to him because of Brad's enthusiasm. He is nice and intense and I like that in a coach.
''You become accountable for your actions on the field and there's no room for short cuts.''
If Arthur is to remain in Sydney, he has a strong association with South Sydney coach Michael Maguire after the pair worked together under Bellamy in Melbourne. A return to the Storm could also be an option.
''I wanted to stay and be part of the Eels,'' Arthur said. ''I've always wanted to be a head coach and it was unfortunate the way I got it in this period, but it's confirmed to me that I can be a full-time coach and that's what I want to do.
''My coaching style is honest and up front and nothing is hidden from the boys.
''I think they like that and they've been happy to take it on board.'' The Eels will be looking to continue their late season revival and drag themselves away from the bottom of the premiership ladder when they face the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park today.
Arthur highlighted the attacking spark of halves Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts as a contributing factor to their recent success as they aim to send club favourites Hindmarsh and Luke Burt off on a positive note.
''I want our halves running the footy and the two boys have done that,'' Arthur said.
''There's not a lot of pressure on us at the moment.
''On our day we can match it with anyone, but when is our day?''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tuarts-crew-20120818-24f51.html#ixzz23uJOiEV7

Eels Dude

Coach
What a shame.

This is us losing JT all over again.

A bit drastic. Arthurs has got us a couple of wins but that doesn't mean he's assistant coaching material let alone head coaching material. He showed promise, but if he moves on he moves on.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Let's remember that Arthurs has been here all year and been part of the 'struggle street' tactical coaching crew!

He was also the guy who told us we'd be really excited about our signings for next year, and then it turns out all we'd done was ink 2-3 guys who were already with the club...

JT was 10 wins from 16 games wasn't he? Also had us playing inspired defence (instead of insipid!) Massive difference IMO.

Gronk

Staff member
Bummer, but he wants to be part of FG. So he moves on.

#cyaallthebest

strider

Post Whore
Let's remember that Arthurs has been here all year and been part of the 'struggle street' tactical coaching crew!

He was also the guy who told us we'd be really excited about our signings for next year, and then it turns out all we'd done was ink 2-3 guys who were already with the club...

JT was 10 wins from 16 games wasn't he? Also had us playing inspired defence (instead of insipid!) Massive difference IMO.

when did he say that?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's Ricky's decision, he as head coach has the right to choose he he wants as part of his team. Gotta laugh 2 months ago Arthurs wasn't real popular around here now he is the best young coach in the game :lol:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's Ricky's decision, he as head coach has the right to choose he he wants as part of his team. Gotta laugh 2 months ago Arthurs wasn't real popular around here now he is the best young coach in the game :lol:

That's true. He has won us more game in 4 weeks than Kearney did in two years. We are bound to get excited.

Tony Bongo

Bench

This

I never thought he had any hope of staying on. Now for the last game we have to not only make banners for Hindy and Burt but we also have to make a "Thanks for the memories Brad Arthur" banner. A bit more notice would have been nice.
I wish him all the best.
How much is the tally for coaching staff payouts now for the last couple of years? ](*,)

Last edited:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Interesting this.

Ricky of course has a right to bring in his own team. However, there's not many better ways for a leader to push themselves than to manage new people. Getting used to different styles, different personalities, different ideas, may have helped Ricky grow as a coach and leader.

This suggests he's got his mind set on a certain direction and he's going there. That could be a very good thing, but factoring in Ricky's propensity to play favourites in the past, not to mention his teams always being built around the same thing - toughness - i'd have preferred to see him willing to take a risk with Brad.

At least Ricky will have no-one to blame but himself if he stuffs up.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I sort of expected this would happen despite some talk out there he was going to hang around.

Arthur is a very good assistant coach, Bellamy rates him and now there's a couple more clubs who are offering lifelines thinking he's a good fit for their club but thats the way it goes..

regardless of whether he's there or not we're going to have a very solid coaching team on board so there's a lot to look forward to it, particulalry the updates through the off season.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Just a thought, but imagine if Brad Arthur had ben the Head Coach and Steve Kearney the assistant? Maybe things would've been different. The inference from Hindmarsh's book is that Kearney wasn't great at getting the best out of people because of his rigid ideas --- see the bit on Mortimer.

Arthur seems to have the discipline in terms of training that a FG team needs. That said, Stuart can probably bring that back in.

what ever the head coach wants he should get, if he would prefer someone else over Brad then thats what he should have. I hope Brad gets a job in the NRL somewhere else but he has head coach potential down the track.

Latest posts