What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arthur left out of Stuart's crew

Tooooks

Bench
Kearney was probably scraping the barrel recruitment wise last year. I doubt Parramatta was a popular destination for most players. Our recruitment in general since 2005 has been awful. That's one area Ricky really needs to improve and given his track record i'm doubtful.

I don't know if Ricky's recruitment is as bad as people think, although it is a bit of a mixed bag. Here are some of his recruits over the years from Roosters and Sharks:

Kade Snowden
Trent Barrett
Reni Maitua
John Morris
Tim Smith
Brett Finch
Todd Payten
Joel Monaghan
Ashley Harrison

He also blooded some fairly decent young players during those years as well:

David Shillington
Jamie Soward
Ben Hannant
Shane Shackleton
George Rose
Sam Perrett
Bryson Goodwin
Dane Nielsen
Blake Ferguson
Jason Bukuya
Nathan Gardner

oldmancraigy

Coach
Kearney was probably scraping the barrel recruitment wise last year.

FAR too much doom and gloom..

We picked up the hottest halfback on the market
We picked up the best outside back on the market
We also locked up the best young outside back for the future

I'd hardly say Parra was a bad destination.... More like the players who were brought in needed to be given the appropriate game plan

barney gumble

Juniors
They are. I don't know why we even decided to re-recruit Tautai, he was useless here last time and he's not even good enough to be a depth player for first grade.

Off topic but I agree. Tautai wasn't up to 1st grade standard as a winger, and most certainly isn't as a back rower. And for those who tout Arthur as the next big coaching thing, yesterday he interchanges Hindmarsh with Tautai!!!! That's like replacing Black Caviar with Mr Ed.

Ratchy

Juniors
FAR too much doom and gloom..

We picked up the hottest halfback on the market
We picked up the best outside back on the market
We also locked up the best young outside back for the future

I'd hardly say Parra was a bad destination.... More like the players who were brought in needed to be given the appropriate game plan

There is alot of average talent surrounding all that.

The game plan excuse is really old.......even with the supposedly offloads and spreading the ball being encouraged they hardly look a premiership force.

oldmancraigy

Coach
There is alot of average talent surrounding all that.

The game plan excuse is really old.......even with the supposedly offloads and spreading the ball being encouraged they hardly look a premiership force.

(a) I've never mentioned offloading as a secret to success

(b) it's hard to suddenly look a premiership force when a new coach takes over mid-season. The reason for this is that pre-season training and combinations are done in pre-season for a reason! They take time to develop.

(c) Just because a club recruits 2 good players for a particular season does not make them a premiership force anyway - and this is completely irrelevant to the point being made.

The point which was rather clear, is that we weren't completely useless at attracting talent during SKs tenure. IMO it's what was done with it that mattered.

carson

Juniors
Off topic but I agree. Tautai wasn't up to 1st grade standard as a winger, and most certainly isn't as a back rower. And for those who tout Arthur as the next big coaching thing, yesterday he interchanges Hindmarsh with Tautai!!!! That's like replacing Black Caviar with Mr Ed.

Actually with those ears, it is more like Francis the talking mule!!!

Delboy

First Grade
At the end of the day , we expected SK to be able to recruit quality payers from the NZ team and the Storm as a start.

The fact that even when SK offered more cash ( in some cases considerably more0 none took the journey to play under him. Shaun KD, Matt Duffie, Adam Blair, Hinchcliffe and others all declined the chance to be coached by him. As I said before , this was the telling factor, perhaps it said more for his coaching that those that knew him well, did not take up the offer

Utey

Coach
The fact that even when SK offered more cash ( in some cases considerably more0 none took the journey to play under him. Shaun KD, Matt Duffie, Adam Blair, Hinchcliffe and others all declined the chance to be coached by him. As I said before , this was the telling factor, perhaps it said more for his coaching that those that knew him well, did not take up the offer

I think that was more due to a reflection of our table position (current and 2011).

Gronk

Staff member
I think that was more due to a reflection of our table position (current and 2011).

Do you think that if Ricky Stuart was appointed coach in April/May that we would have had the same result in signing those players we targeted ?

Delboy

First Grade

Well, not sure that was the case, Brian Smith has always attracted players even when clubs were performing poorly. I suggest it was because those that were targetted had experience under him and possibly had doubts

Utey

Coach
Yes, I agree. Some of Brian's recruitment was also questionable as well. I think 2013 will be a real struggle, purely due to our recruitment (unless this changes), but time will tell.

Utey

Coach
Do you think that if Ricky Stuart was appointed coach in April/May that we would have had the same result in signing those players we targeted ?

Who knows mate, but rhetorically, yes. I'm sure our recruitment would've been more successful under Ricky has he signed earlier.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Lussick will be a good signing - young, big and very aggressive. He's just what we need in our pack IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Lussick will be a good signing - young, big and very aggressive. He's just what we need in our pack IMO.

Absolutely. He will add so much to our pack, plus there's Harrison who will turn out to be a solid first grader - like Nathan Hindmarsh only not one-dimensional.

We don't need more superstars. What we need is a bit more muscle up front, and another year or two of growth in our youngsters.

Eels Dude

Coach

Just needs to stop getting suspended. Aggression is great but there's a fine line which he crosses in regards to penalties and more serious offences. He's already been suspended 3 times in a 25 game career.

Gronk

Staff member
Just needs to stop getting suspended. Aggression is great but there's a fine line which he crosses in regards to penalties and more serious offences. He's already been suspended 3 times in a 25 game career.

Fui went through a rough patch like that.

Kornstar

Coach
Absolutely. He will add so much to our pack, plus there's Harrison who will turn out to be a solid first grader - like Nathan Hindmarsh only not one-dimensional.

We don't need more superstars. What we need is a bit more muscle up front, and another year or two of growth in our youngsters.

I really hope that is fishing