What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Jarryd Hayne: Knights close door on Eels return as Dragons reportedly clear runway space
2 hrs ago

$
:copyright: Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited
Jarryd Hayne’s dream of returning to the Parramatta Eels in 2019 appears over – but St George Illawarra are reportedly set to get serious in their bid to lure the club-less veteran to Wollongong.

The two-time Dally M medallist’s one-year deal with the Eels expired at the end of last month and he remains unemployed despite both player and club publicly expressing a desire to reunite next season.

For the Eels to fit the former NSW and Australia star under their salary cap they need to move at least one high-profile player on to a rival club.

Veteran centre Michael Jennings has been linked with the Newcastle Knights in recent weeks in a move that would have freed up enough cap space for the Eels to pay Hayne’s estimated $700,000 asking price.

But the Knights’ decision to sign former South Sydney utility Hymel Hunt on a one-year deal has squashed the Jennings rumours and seemingly ended Hayne’s Eels career.

Parramatta have unsuccessfully shopped Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman to rival clubs and unless either playmaker finds a new employer in the coming months Hayne will be squeezed out.

The Dragons emerged as possible suitors for Hayne last month and are reportedly ready to ramp up their pursuit of the 30-year-old.

According to Fairfax Media, the Red V are prepared to offload enigmatic full-back Matt Dufty before the start of the NRL season in order to secure Hayne’s signature.

Dufty, who is contracted until the end of 2019, has produced plenty of eye-catching moments in his brief career in first-grade but inconsistency remains a problem.

Dragons officials believe the addition of Hayne would help fill the void left by the off-season departures of Nene Macdonald (North Queensland) and Jason Nightingale (retired).

Hayne is yet to comment publicly on the Dragons’ rumoured interest.

The former San Francisco 49ers running back has also been linked with a possible move to rugby union, however, a move to the Dragons now appears far more likely.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...edly-clear-runway-space/ar-BBPFI4C?li=AAgg0Zv

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons prepared to offload fullback Dufty in order to nab Hayne
Adrian Proszenko14 November 2018 — 12:00am

St George Illawarra has upped the ante in their pursuit of Jarryd Hayne, with the club prepared to release fullback Matt Dufty in a bid to free up the funds required to meet the cross-code star’s asking price.

The development comes as the Red V move closer towards locking in star NSW forward Tariq Sims on a long-term deal.

129641db8bb2ea1f268b111c5a2f1989d48a4519

On way out? The Dragons are prepared to let Matt Dufty go in order to accommodate Jarryd Hayne.Credit:Robert Peet

Dufty is contracted until the end of next season but rival clubs have been told he could be immediately available. The 22-year-old is hoping to extend his stay at the joint-venture outfit, although he will need to lower his asking price for that to happen.

Hayne is yet to find a club for next season, caught in limbo because Parramatta have not got the salary cap space required to fit him into their roster.

The Eels are desperate to keep him but have only $200,000 left in the kitty. They are hoping to move on at least one player - there is some interest from Newcastle in Michael Jennings - in order to accommodate the two-time Dally M medallist.

It means Hayne is effectively in a holding pattern while two clubs race to offload players deemed surplus to requirements.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...ty-in-order-to-nab-hayne-20181113-p50fte.html

It will never happen, not in our life time now moving forward in regards to losing the Illawarra name. Lets face it they wont wind the clock back, that is clear as evidenced with NRL admin, so the next move if any will be relocating the whole brand (wont that go down like a lead balloon) or a bigger merger as teams get culled
I'm so thrilled about the future...
I know you're right - just holding onto something that has always been dear to me personally.

getsmarty

Immortal
1gp_1742-copy.jpg

NRL NEWS

NRL changes rules to restrict back-ended contracts
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Wed 14 Nov 2018, 02:45 PM

The NRL has announced rules will be tightened for back-ended contracts in a bid to prevent the salary cap problems which have been created at some clubs in recent years.

CEO Todd Greenberg said the club bosses have agreed to the restrictions at their conference at NRL HQ on Wednesday.

Greenberg said the NRL would always support clubs offering higher value contracts to players as their careers developed.

The NRL's salary cap auditor will finalise a model so that changes will be in place in 2019. The new system will restrict how much a player's payment can rise from one season to the next in their contract.

"Historically we left [back-ended deals] up to clubs but there's a clear appetite from the clubs for us to put rules in place. We agreed to put a working group in place to come back in the new year ... effectively there are rules in place to stop back-ended contracts.

"There are only small number, albeit problematic ones, where clubs have got into trouble putting them into play and that has hurt so there's a desire for us to get involved an ensure that doesn't happen again.

"These deals can also give clubs an unfair salary cap advantage in the early years of a contract."

NRL Telstra premiership draw 2019

Greenberg said approval would still be given for contracts where a rising star was offered a significant lift in their playing fee.

"We are not going to stop any player receiving what they are worth on the open market," he said.

"But we have to stop clubs pushing payments to later years to reduce salary cap pressure in the short term.

There's a clear appetite from the clubs for us to put rules in place.

Todd Greenberg
The meeting of club CEOs also decided to set up a working party to look at the feasibility of a trade window for players.

The review will also consider the need for regulations covering coaching contracts.

The NRL's new head of football, Graham Annesley, said he was considereing "a number of initiatives to review what took place this season", including the use of the Referees' Bunker.

"Referees' boss Bernie Sutton will report directly to me from now on on all operational issues around officiating in the Telstra Premiership," he said.

"The objective really is to deliver on the NRL's strategic plan. One of the objectives is to implement free-flowing exciting football, that's what we'll be trying to do.

Any changes for contracts or a transfer window will ultimately go to the ARL Commission for approval.

Player transfers
What should the NRL's player transfer system be?

Player transfers What should the NRL's player transfer system be?
  • Current system
    0%
  • End-of-season transfer window
    0%
  • Mid-season and end-of-season windows
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/14/nrl-changes-rules-to-restrict-back-ended-contracts/

kit66

Bench
So Dufty in his first year is deemed inconsistent and the answer is to replace him with an injury prone enigma who has been inconsistent for years. His only good games came late last year when he wanted a new contract. This is fooked. that will be starting backs gone 1, 2 and 3.

getsmarty

Immortal
10000-members_1024_512.jpeg

MEMBERSHIP

Dragons reach 10,000 Red V members
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 15 Nov 2018, 08:48 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud to announce they have reached 10,000 Red V members for the 2019 Telstra Premiership season.

The 2019 Red V Membership program offers a range of flexible and affordable packages offering new and enhanced benefits to our loyal members.

Plus if you join before November 30 you'll be in our early bird bonanza draw where you can win some amazing match day experiences. Your membership pack will be on track for pre-Christmas delivery also!

In a further boost to the 10,000 member milestone, Brydens Lawyers have confirmed their continuing as the official Red V Membership partner for the 2019 season.

After a successful partnership over the past two season this relationship continues to grow, with Brydens Lawyers continuing to offer Red V members and fans exclusive opportunities and free legal advice at St George Leagues Club and Wollongong's Steelers Club.

Since establishing themselves in Sydney over 40 years ago, Brydens Lawyers have developed a reputation for providing expert legal advice and representation with an outstanding knowledge of the law, professionalism and the highest level of client service at an affordable price.

For more information on the services from Brydens Lawyers please visit: http://www.brydens.com.au/

The 2019 season will see the Dragons play five home games at Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah, five home games at WIN Stadium, Wollongong, one home game in Mudgee and one home game at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Click here to see the entire 2019 draw.

The 2019 Red V Membership program includes improvements based directly on member feedback as we strive to deliver Red V members with even greater flexibility, increased value and an enhanced loyalty program.

Some of the benefits of being a member include:

• Save on tickets with best value ticket prices every time
  • Exclusive finals, State of Origin and ANZAC Day pre-sales and discounts
  • Merchandise discounts
  • Opportunity to meet the players
  • Secure your ticket for the season
  • Flexi memberships available
- Flexible payment options available

For further detail, benefits and comparison, visit www.marchwithus.com.au and make the choice that best suits your needs, or simply follow the steps to renew.

You can also contact our team on 1300 DRAGON or via email: redv@dragons.com.au

Belong, connect and commit by becoming a Red V member in 2019!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/15/dragons-reach-10000-red-v-members/

BLM01

First Grade
10000-members_1024_512.jpeg

MEMBERSHIP

Dragons reach 10,000 Red V members
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 15 Nov 2018, 08:48 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud to announce they have reached 10,000 Red V members for the 2019 Telstra Premiership season.

The 2019 Red V Membership program offers a range of flexible and affordable packages offering new and enhanced benefits to our loyal members.

Plus if you join before November 30 you'll be in our early bird bonanza draw where you can win some amazing match day experiences. Your membership pack will be on track for pre-Christmas delivery also!

In a further boost to the 10,000 member milestone, Brydens Lawyers have confirmed their continuing as the official Red V Membership partner for the 2019 season.

After a successful partnership over the past two season this relationship continues to grow, with Brydens Lawyers continuing to offer Red V members and fans exclusive opportunities and free legal advice at St George Leagues Club and Wollongong's Steelers Club.

Since establishing themselves in Sydney over 40 years ago, Brydens Lawyers have developed a reputation for providing expert legal advice and representation with an outstanding knowledge of the law, professionalism and the highest level of client service at an affordable price.

For more information on the services from Brydens Lawyers please visit: http://www.brydens.com.au/

The 2019 season will see the Dragons play five home games at Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah, five home games at WIN Stadium, Wollongong, one home game in Mudgee and one home game at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Click here to see the entire 2019 draw.

The 2019 Red V Membership program includes improvements based directly on member feedback as we strive to deliver Red V members with even greater flexibility, increased value and an enhanced loyalty program.

Some of the benefits of being a member include:

• Save on tickets with best value ticket prices every time
  • Exclusive finals, State of Origin and ANZAC Day pre-sales and discounts
  • Merchandise discounts
  • Opportunity to meet the players
  • Secure your ticket for the season
  • Flexi memberships available
- Flexible payment options available

For further detail, benefits and comparison, visit www.marchwithus.com.au and make the choice that best suits your needs, or simply follow the steps to renew.

You can also contact our team on 1300 DRAGON or via email: redv@dragons.com.au

Belong, connect and commit by becoming a Red V member in 2019!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/15/dragons-reach-10000-red-v-members/
Congrats Dragons, although in Wayne's days at the club we were just shy of 20,000 and they were not counting the free general admission season passes given out to the kids in the local schools down here and probably in the St George area, yes each one given out is a membership....LOL

getsmarty

Immortal
Pereira not buying into Jarryd Hayne conjecture
Dragons Den
r0_0_2348_2996_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUCH: Jarryd Hayne cops an accidental foot in the face from Jordan Pereira in round 22 last season. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS flyer Jordan Pereira admits he’s nervous about the prospect of Jarryd Hayne linking with the club – but it’s got nothing to do with competition for spots.

It’s more to do with the accidental boot he planted on Hayne’s face in the Dragons round-22 clash with the Eels last season that required one of the more creative strapping efforts of 2018.

“If he did come down here I just hope he’s not angry that I kicked him the face,” Pereira said.

“Whatever club he goes to I just hope he doesn’t hate me because it was an accident. That’s my only concern, that he doesn’t hate me as a bloke.”

Currently without a club for 2019, Hayne has been linked to St George Illawarra who are battling depleted outside back stocks following the departure of Nene Macdonald and the retirement of Jason Nightingale.

Media reports have suggested the club could look to move on current No. 1 Matt Dufty to accommodate Hayne, but Pereira hasn’t given much weight to the conjecture.

r0_0_2443_3071_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SECOND BEST: Jarryd Hayne after colliding with Jordan Pereira's foot last season. Picture: AAP

“So many things pop up and right now everything seems like rubbish, I don’t pay attention to any of it,” Pereira said.

“He’s one of my best mates, I love Dufty, I don't want to see him leave. I look at whatever I see as a thumbnail, and I disregard it.

“There’s not too may [outside backs] left. Nene’s left, Gyspy [Nightingale] left, Patty [Herbert] left, Reuben [Garrick] left.

“That’s four [outside backs] that have gone so we’re down a few. We’ve lost more than we’ve gained so I’m sure there’ll be someone turn up at some stage.

“I’m not sure who we’re going to get but if it hasn’t come from the Dragons, it’s not my concern, I just don’t believe it.”

Pereira has little to worry about on the contract front having penned a two-year contract extension after a string of impressive performances in his side’s final nine games of 2018.

It included two finals appearances, and the 25-year-old admits he’s still left pinching himself having only joined the club the day before the transfer deadline in 2017.

“Sometimes I go back and watch those games that I played and think ‘wow, that’s me’,” Pereira said.

“It is still pretty hard to believe and sometimes I have to refresh my memory by watching some footage.

“I thought I was going to have to dust off the old steel caps midway through last year. I thought I was going to have to go back to work.

“My manager wasn’t sure what was going to happen, there weren’t any offers from other clubs.

“I was probably at the bottom of the hierarchy and got one little taste due to some unfortunate injuries.

“Sometimes that’s how you get opportunities and whatever you make of that is in your own hands. I just tried to take it with both of them.”

The cavalcade of outside men who’ve headed for the exit door leaves Pereira one of the last men standing, but he’s far from complacent about holding onto his spot next season.

“I’ve put the pressure on myself that nothing’s going to be given, it’s all got to be earned,” he said.

“2019’s all a clean slate and everything’s up for grabs.

“I’m just going to approach the preseason like I did last year, work my hardest, and make sure I earn that spot.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5760149/pereira-not-buying-into-hayne-conjecture/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons players unsure on Hayne landing
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jarryd Hayne scored three tries in the Eels' 40-4 win over the Dragons in Round 22 last season.
    If Jarryd Hayne is headed to St George Illawarra, winger Jordan Pereira just hopes the NRL superstar has forgotten the boot to the face he copped from the young flyer late last season.

Hayne's destination for 2019 still remains one of the biggest pieces of the off-season puzzle, as he enters his third week of free agency after being unsigned by Parramatta.

The Eels still remain hopeful they can retain their marquee player, however they will have to offload talent to do so to stay under next year's salary cap.

The chances of that happening have taken a hit with Newcastle's decision to purchase centre Hymel Hunt and not Michael Jennings, while winger Josh Hoffman also looks like staying put.

The Dragons have emerged as the other contender to sign Hayne if the 30-year-old stays in the NRL, as they weigh up whether to pursue him as a winger or fullback.

Dragons players remain in the dark over the situation, but Pereira could at least see the lighter side of the situation - with his only meeting with Hayne resulting in the Eels winger needing stitches after his stray boot left him bandaged up mid-match in round 22.

"If he did come down here I just hope he's not angry that I kicked him in the face, Pereira said.

"But other than that, I'm not too sure. I just hope he doesn't hate me. It was an accident - that's my only concern."

Jokes aside though, Pereira believes it would only make sense for the Red V to approach an outside back given Jason Nightingale's retirement and Nene Macdonald's departure.

It's left him as the only established winger alongside recruit Jonus Pearson from Brisbane.

However he doesn't want it to come at the expense of fullback Matt Dufty, after it was reported he could be shopped around.

"I'm sure there will be more to come because we have lost more than we gained," Pereira said.

"I love Dufty, he's one of my best mates. I don't want to see him leave.

"Any opportunity outside Dufty is an opportunity to score tries and get clean breaks because he draws so much attention."

Pereira is gearing up for his first NRL season next year, after the 25-year-old was re-signed on a two-year deal after making his first-grade debut in the second half of 2018 and thinking his dream over.

"Sometimes I just watch those games I played and watch my clips and just think 'wow, that's me, it's crazy'," he said.

"It still surprises me when I see my face on the screen or something like that or rubbing shoulders with Gareth Widdop or Tim Lafai."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5760387/dragons-players-unsure-on-hayne-landing/?cs=13068

ViceVersa

Juniors
Congrats Dragons, although in Wayne's days at the club we were just shy of 20,000 and they were not counting the free general admission season passes given out to the kids in the local schools down here and probably in the St George area, yes each one given out is a membership....LOL

Not as bad as Souffs signing up their pets and counting them as members...

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Not sure if GetSmarty has posted this, so here goes........
OKB

If Matt Dufty is the future, then why is Jarryd Hayne the answer?

Scott Pryde

Editor

Anyone can contribute to The Roar and have their work featured alongside some of Australia’s most prominent sports journalists.

Just like the sun rising and setting each day, the NRL rumour cycle barely gives us a day of respite. But Jarryd Hayne in a Dragons jersey?

The whispers are growing louder and louder by the day, and to be fair, why wouldn’t they be?

Hayne is off contract and without a club ahead of the 2019 NRL season. Pre-season is already underway, with clubs getting closer to finalising their 30-man rosters and moving into training. They’re planning for what promises to be one of the most open seasons in the history of the game.

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail
The Dragons are looking for an x-factor – someone who can be a game breaker for them – and to be fair to Hayne, he has shown he has that talent throughout his glittering career.

With all that being said though, there is really no time for late arrivals of such a high nature and players who may not fit into the team and culture.

Whether Hayne would be compatible in the Dragons camp is a complete unknown. I’m not going to claim to know the Dragons players, coach Paul McGregor or the Hayne Plane himself, but there are plenty of worrying signs.

Jarryd-Hayne-755x515.jpg

Jarryd Hayne during his time with the Eels (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

From Hayne’s recent history at the Gold Coast Titans and Parramatta Eels, to the way the Dragons are reportedly trying to bring him in, the whole situation should be making fans of the Red V very uneasy.

It sure is for me.

The first and most concerning factor is the talk of moving Matt Dufty on.

More worrying is the fact rumours have been following Dufty since the middle of last year. He has been linked with other clubs, namely the Warriors, and a move to England in the time period since.

Now, before we go any further, it has to be acknowledged that Dufty has his weaknesses.

When I conducted a top 50 players in the NRL series recently (despite Roarers having a laugh and saying I would need to find room for 13 Dragons players in my top ten), Dufty didn’t even come close to cracking the list.

He has pace and acceleration – in fact, he may be one of the quickest players in the game – and his footwork is lightning when he has the ball in hand.

Matt-Dufty-Dragons-755x515.jpg

Matthew Dufty of the Dragons runs with the ball (Image/Darren Pateman)

Some of his tries throughout 2018 were brilliant, and a testament to what he is able to do on the footy field. There was also the odd good sign in defence and some of his ball play at times was excellent, particularly when you compare to the man he replaced at the club, Josh Dugan.

Dugan’s time at the club saw the Dragons have the best ball-running fullback, or close to it, in the game. When it came to ball-playing though, there was none of that coming from the man in number one.

CONTENT CONTINUES AFTER ADVERTISEMENT

CM CREATE
B21764046.230349768;dc_trk_aid=428059157;dc_trk_cid=106598044;ord=20276321;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=;tfua=
Advertisement
On the other foot, Dufty was burnt numerous times in defence and struggled at times under the high ball. While he read the game well at times, he also made some poor decisions, which could be expected of a youngster, but he will be the first to acknowledge there is a stack of work to be done before he can be considered amongst the games elite fullbacks.

Unfortunately, the flaws in his game seem to have the Red V rushing to find an alternative solution at the back, as if that were the club’s biggest problem last year.

Alas, it most certainly wasn’t. The problem lay in the way the team was managed across the year. Come the end of the season, they looked tired, fatigued, out of energy and like they needed a long holiday.

The fact they were able to get up and beat the Broncos in Brisbane (a game which Dufty played outstanding in, by the way), was something out of the ordinary. Completely unexpected.

And yet, the Dragons supposedly want to bring in someone like Hayne.

Hayne has a recent history which doesn’t read so well. While his first stint in the NRL – the one where he made a name for himself – at the Eels was fantastic, everything since has been on a downhill slope.

His stint at the San Francisco 49ers wasn’t anything special, and nor was it when he made a late bid to play Rugby Sevens at the Olympics for Fiji.

More worrying though is his time back in the NRL.

The Gold Coast experiment didn’t work. It’s as simple as that.

Before Hayne arrived on the Gold Coast, Neil Henry had his team firing at the back-end of 2016. They were building something quite special, based on a culture of work ethic and defence.

Hayne came in and all that went out the back window, and eventually, so did Henry.

2017 would be the last year Henry was on the Gold Coast, and as it turned out, so it was for Hayne. It was a miserable season, where the team culture clearly died as the Titans finished 15th.

Again, some of this is speculation, but there was plenty that came out about Hayne on the Gold Coast. Whether it was the issues with senior players at the club, his attitude to training or other things, there are enough black marks there which should encourage a club with another alternative to not pursue the option.

After the coaching debacle, Hayne moved onto the Eels and it took him a long time to find his feet there as well. For a club who were supposed to be strong in 2018 – a potential top four hope – they floundered, faltered, and eventually picked up the wooden spoon.

Now, Hayne had good moments at Parramatta, but there just weren’t enough of them.

Injuries haven’t helped Hayne over that time period, but the simple fact is that there is a clear problem wherever he has gone since his first run in the NRL ended, and maybe, just maybe, even before that at the Eels.

Jarryd-Hayne-2-755x515.jpg

Jarryd Hayne of the Eels walks from the field injured (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Everyone was blinded by his incredible exploits of 2009 (trust me, as a Dragons fan, I know them all too well) and seemed to forget about everything that has happened since.

Sure, there is a risk in looking to the future and selecting it over the present, but Hayne is hardly the present.

While the signs were there he was ready to turn things around at the back-end of last year, they just weren’t consistent enough across 25 rounds to suggest he would be an upgrade on Dufty.

And at the end of the day, isn’t that what wheeling and deeling in the player market is all about? Upgrading?

This is risk versus reward, and the risk is far greater than the reward when a solid, improving fullback is already stationed in the famous Red V jumper.

If Dufty isn’t in the number one jersey at the start of 2019, let me tell you, the Dragons have made a terrible decision.

getsmarty

Immortal
Not sure if GetSmarty has posted this, so here goes........
OKB

If Matt Dufty is the future, then why is Jarryd Hayne the answer?

Scott Pryde

Editor

Anyone can contribute to The Roar and have their work featured alongside some of Australia’s most prominent sports journalists.

Just like the sun rising and setting each day, the NRL rumour cycle barely gives us a day of respite. But Jarryd Hayne in a Dragons jersey?

The whispers are growing louder and louder by the day, and to be fair, why wouldn’t they be?

Hayne is off contract and without a club ahead of the 2019 NRL season. Pre-season is already underway, with clubs getting closer to finalising their 30-man rosters and moving into training. They’re planning for what promises to be one of the most open seasons in the history of the game.

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail
The Dragons are looking for an x-factor – someone who can be a game breaker for them – and to be fair to Hayne, he has shown he has that talent throughout his glittering career.

With all that being said though, there is really no time for late arrivals of such a high nature and players who may not fit into the team and culture.

Whether Hayne would be compatible in the Dragons camp is a complete unknown. I’m not going to claim to know the Dragons players, coach Paul McGregor or the Hayne Plane himself, but there are plenty of worrying signs.

Jarryd-Hayne-755x515.jpg

Jarryd Hayne during his time with the Eels (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

From Hayne’s recent history at the Gold Coast Titans and Parramatta Eels, to the way the Dragons are reportedly trying to bring him in, the whole situation should be making fans of the Red V very uneasy.

It sure is for me.

The first and most concerning factor is the talk of moving Matt Dufty on.

More worrying is the fact rumours have been following Dufty since the middle of last year. He has been linked with other clubs, namely the Warriors, and a move to England in the time period since.

Now, before we go any further, it has to be acknowledged that Dufty has his weaknesses.

When I conducted a top 50 players in the NRL series recently (despite Roarers having a laugh and saying I would need to find room for 13 Dragons players in my top ten), Dufty didn’t even come close to cracking the list.

He has pace and acceleration – in fact, he may be one of the quickest players in the game – and his footwork is lightning when he has the ball in hand.

Matt-Dufty-Dragons-755x515.jpg

Matthew Dufty of the Dragons runs with the ball (Image/Darren Pateman)

Some of his tries throughout 2018 were brilliant, and a testament to what he is able to do on the footy field. There was also the odd good sign in defence and some of his ball play at times was excellent, particularly when you compare to the man he replaced at the club, Josh Dugan.

Dugan’s time at the club saw the Dragons have the best ball-running fullback, or close to it, in the game. When it came to ball-playing though, there was none of that coming from the man in number one.

CONTENT CONTINUES AFTER ADVERTISEMENT

CM CREATE
B21764046.230349768;dc_trk_aid=428059157;dc_trk_cid=106598044;ord=20276321;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=;tfua=
Advertisement
On the other foot, Dufty was burnt numerous times in defence and struggled at times under the high ball. While he read the game well at times, he also made some poor decisions, which could be expected of a youngster, but he will be the first to acknowledge there is a stack of work to be done before he can be considered amongst the games elite fullbacks.

Unfortunately, the flaws in his game seem to have the Red V rushing to find an alternative solution at the back, as if that were the club’s biggest problem last year.

Alas, it most certainly wasn’t. The problem lay in the way the team was managed across the year. Come the end of the season, they looked tired, fatigued, out of energy and like they needed a long holiday.

The fact they were able to get up and beat the Broncos in Brisbane (a game which Dufty played outstanding in, by the way), was something out of the ordinary. Completely unexpected.

And yet, the Dragons supposedly want to bring in someone like Hayne.

Hayne has a recent history which doesn’t read so well. While his first stint in the NRL – the one where he made a name for himself – at the Eels was fantastic, everything since has been on a downhill slope.

His stint at the San Francisco 49ers wasn’t anything special, and nor was it when he made a late bid to play Rugby Sevens at the Olympics for Fiji.

More worrying though is his time back in the NRL.

The Gold Coast experiment didn’t work. It’s as simple as that.

Before Hayne arrived on the Gold Coast, Neil Henry had his team firing at the back-end of 2016. They were building something quite special, based on a culture of work ethic and defence.

Hayne came in and all that went out the back window, and eventually, so did Henry.

2017 would be the last year Henry was on the Gold Coast, and as it turned out, so it was for Hayne. It was a miserable season, where the team culture clearly died as the Titans finished 15th.

Again, some of this is speculation, but there was plenty that came out about Hayne on the Gold Coast. Whether it was the issues with senior players at the club, his attitude to training or other things, there are enough black marks there which should encourage a club with another alternative to not pursue the option.

After the coaching debacle, Hayne moved onto the Eels and it took him a long time to find his feet there as well. For a club who were supposed to be strong in 2018 – a potential top four hope – they floundered, faltered, and eventually picked up the wooden spoon.

Now, Hayne had good moments at Parramatta, but there just weren’t enough of them.

Injuries haven’t helped Hayne over that time period, but the simple fact is that there is a clear problem wherever he has gone since his first run in the NRL ended, and maybe, just maybe, even before that at the Eels.

Jarryd-Hayne-2-755x515.jpg

Jarryd Hayne of the Eels walks from the field injured (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Everyone was blinded by his incredible exploits of 2009 (trust me, as a Dragons fan, I know them all too well) and seemed to forget about everything that has happened since.

Sure, there is a risk in looking to the future and selecting it over the present, but Hayne is hardly the present.

While the signs were there he was ready to turn things around at the back-end of last year, they just weren’t consistent enough across 25 rounds to suggest he would be an upgrade on Dufty.

And at the end of the day, isn’t that what wheeling and deeling in the player market is all about? Upgrading?

This is risk versus reward, and the risk is far greater than the reward when a solid, improving fullback is already stationed in the famous Red V jumper.

If Dufty isn’t in the number one jersey at the start of 2019, let me tell you, the Dragons have made a terrible decision.

Thanks for Posting.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hayne investigated for alleged assault
Local Sport
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NSW police are investigating after a woman claimed she was sexually assaulted by Jarryd Hayne.
NRL player Jarryd Hayne is reportedly under investigation by the NSW Sex Crimes Squad over allegations of sexual assault.

Hayne is being investigated after a woman made allegations she suffered injuries during a sexual encounter with him on NRL grand final night on September 30, the Nine Network reported.

Nine said Hayne had travelled to the Hunter Valley to meet with the woman who had spoken to him on social media, and she had photographs to back up her claims.

The NRL was unable to comment when contacted on Thursday evening given it is a police matter.

However, it's believed the code's integrity unit interviewed the woman before it was referred to police.

NSW Police said detectives from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes squad were leading an investigation into reports a woman was sexually assaulted by a 30-year-old man in late September.

Hayne's representative Wayne Beavis also opted against commenting when contacted by AAP on Thursday evening.

Off-contract and at this stage without an NRL club for 2019, Hayne's future is still unknown for next season with Parramatta struggling to fit him under their cap for next year.

Hayne was technically still an Eels' employee on the night in question, however he is no longer on their payroll.

It's understood the club's chief executive Bernie Gurr and other officials were unaware of the allegations until the club were contacted by media on Thursday.

"As this is a police matter the club will be making no public comment in relation to these reports," a Parramatta spokeswoman said.

It's also understood the club hasn't been able to speak to the star fullback since they were contacted.

Hayne is one of the NRL's biggest names, having won the Dally M medal twice and played 11 Tests for Australia and 23 State of Origins for NSW.

He is also defending a civil case in the United States where a woman is attempting to sue him for damages for an alleged sexual assault in 2015 while he was playing in the NFL for San Francisco.

Hayne has vehemently denied the claims from the alleged San Francisco incident, while police declined to charge him.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5761106/hayne-investigated-for-alleged-assault/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Dufty raring to go for Dragons in 2019
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Fri 16 Nov 2018, 02:00 PM

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has dismissed talk over his apparent departure from the Dragons ahead of the 2019 Telstra Premiership season.

Conjecture over Dufty's future at the club has dominated the rugby league news cycle in recent days but the Penshurst RSL junior has confirmed he will be at the Red V in 2019.

"I've had a chat with the senior staff members at the club and they have assured me of my spot in 2019 so I'm keen to rip into pre-season and beyond for the Dragons," Dufty said.

"The club reassured me that if anything were to happen that they'd let me know before it hit the papers which is great to hear because I have a great relationship with everyone at the club and I'm looking to ripping in for them and all the boys."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward echoed Dufty's sentiments relating to his current contract.

"The speculation and misinformation surrounding Matt's future has been disappointing," Millward said.

"Matt is contracted for 2019 and will definitely be a part of our squad next year, there has never been any internal discussion that suggested otherwise."

Dufty was one of the first few Dragons to report for pre-season a fortnight ago and has enjoyed the seniority that has come with it, considering he featured in every game for the Red V throughout their 2018 campaign.

With the wider squad readying themselves for their own pre-season commencement next week, Dufty is also keen to catch up with more of his fellow Dragons.

"It's been a shock to the system coming back after a long break and getting straight into the running but it's been good to see all the boys again," Dufty said.

"It's been a bit different the first few weeks because the last couple of years I've been the one who has been the inexperience kid. It's good to come back and help push along the boys who are in the first or second pre-season and help them through it."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/16/dufty-raring-to-go-for-dragons-in-2019/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty not headed for Dragons exit door
Local Sport
r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Matt Dufty isn't going anywhere. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS recruitment chief Ian Millward insists Matt Dufty isn’t going anywhere, refuting suggestions the club is looking to off-load their livewire No. 1.

Dufty remains contracted for the 2019 season but his immediate future has been clouded by the club’s reported efforts to recruit Jarryd Hayne.

The Eels have been scrambling to offload players to make room for Hayne in their salary cap, but are yet to do so, leaving him without a club for next season.

The Dragons have been on the hunt for a marquee back following the departure of Nene Macdonald (North Queensland) and the retirement of veteran winger Jason Nightingale.

That search continues but Millward said it wouldn’t come at the expense of Dufty.

"The speculation and misinformation surrounding Matt's future has been disappointing," Millward said.

"Matt is contracted for 2019 and will definitely be a part of our squad next year. There has never been any internal discussion that suggested otherwise."

The comments come a day after media reports revealed that Hayne is the subject of a police investigation into an alleged sexual assault in September.

It’s the the second such allegation to be leveled at the two-time Dally M Medalist, who remains locked in a legal battle in the US with a woman who claims he sexually assaulted her in December 2015 during his time with the San Francisco 49ers.

Breaking his silence on the issue on Friday, Dufty said the club has assured him there are no plans to move him on before next season.

“I’ve had a chat to the senior staff at the club and they’ve assured me of my spot in 2019,” Dufty said.

r0_0_4175_2783_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UNDER INVESTIGATION: Jarryd Hayne is facing sexual assault allegations. Picture: Paul Barkley NRL Photos

“The club re-assured me that if anything like that was going to happen they’d let me know before it came out in the papers which is good to hear.

“I’ve got a good relationship with the people at the club and I’m just looking forward to ripping in for the staff and for the boys.”

"Matt will definitely be a part of our squad next year. There has never been any internal discussion that suggested otherwise."

Ian Millward

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5762034/dufty-not-headed-for-dragons-exit-door/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
graeme-langlands-dive-bw2.jpg

NRL HISTORY

Mighty Chang: How Langlands became a superstar
Author
Philip Jenkins Rugby League Week
Timestamp
Fri 16 Nov 2018, 10:01 AM

Graeme Langlands was a shy kid from Wollongong when he joined the mighty St George club in the midst of their 11-year run as the undisputed premiership kings.

He went on to become one of the all-time greats, reaching Immortal status in 1999 after narrowly missing selection among the original Immortals in 1981.

He played 227 games for the Dragons over a 14-year career and captained Australia 15 times.

This is the story of how he rose through the ranks on his way to signing with St George.

This is the first of a three-part piece on Langlands which ran over three Rugby League Week issues on June 28, July 5 and 12, 1975. It was titled "The Mighty Chang", written by Philip Jenkins.

Graeme Frank Langlands was a skinny kid in the days when World War I was swinging in the balance — and no-one knew what quite the future held.

Wollongong hasn't spawned such a son since the enigmatic Norman Gunston came along recently to keep the name of the 'Gong high in the headlines.

Chang, favourite son of everyone who calls himself a St George fan, first saw the light of day September 2, 1941.

Graeme Langlands' Immortal career

He was born to Zell and Bill Langlands who were then living at Corrimal Street, Wollongong, deep in the heart of Rugby League territory, with the tang of the Port Kembla steelworks in the air.

He was an ordinary kid. A pushing, shoving short-back-and-sides kid who didn't do what he was told and loved a scrap better than anything.

No one knew that that young Graeme was to sustain the most amazing record a Rugby League player has ever since the game creaked off the mark back in 1908.

But even as a marble-playing, socks-around-the-ankles kid Chang showed the first signs of his love for Rugby League, the game that was to shape and dictate his life.

As a kid he would zip along the Wollongong streets side-stepping people as they strolled by. The Langlands side-step, a Rugby League marvel for more than a dozen years, was born.

Once he side-stepped too far in a Wollongong Park, hit a pole and knocked himself out.

Chang first played League when he was about eight. His first memories of League are of running on at half-time with junior teams during big match breaks and giving the mob something to watch while they waited for the stars to come back on.

The young Chang raged around Wollongong like most kids his age. He went to school there — Wollongong primary and then Wollongong tech with a brief sojourn at a Sydney college sandwiched in the middle.

1971-goal-kicking-st-george-v-souths-graeme-langlands.jpg

Graeme Langlands' Hall of Fame Career

At Wollongong tech he studied through to the intermediate certificate, and then headed out into the world.

Panel beating was the trade he settled on. For £3/5/- when he started, and £5 when he finished, the young Chang learned the business of knocking cars back into shape.

Asked about it now, he says wistfully: "If it wasn't for football I'd probably still be a panelbeater in Wollongong. Probably right now I'd be standing in a pub down there having a couple of beers."

Langlands' tool of trade now lie somewhere deep at the bottom of Wollongong harbour.

They landed there the day he decided Rugby League was going to be his life.

Chang mixed a busy sporting life with his early days in the business world of Wollongong. Rugby League, surfing, basketball ... they all had a place in the life of the young Langlands.

graeme-langlands.jpg

St George great Graeme Langlands. :copyright:NRL Photos
As an 18-year-old he represented Illawarra at basketball. Around the same age he was showing the competitive spirit in the surf, winning musical flag, belt and surf events for Wollongong club.

But it was always going to be Rugby League. For a time his mother Zell resisted — but Graeme kept bringing home football trophies — and she relented.

The accidents and injuries which were to become an unwelcome part of his life were with him even in those early days.

Once he ran a nine inch long wood splinter into his back — and needed hospital treatment to get it out. At 11 he suffered a bad injury to his left hand and for a time they thought he might lose it. Then he needed a cartilage operation after injuring his knee in his first year with Wollongong Rugby League club.

One day in 1961 when torrerrential rain sent floodwaters swirling around Wollongong, Langlands almost lost his life. He was a member of a flood relief party from Wollongong surf club. Another club member managed to grab him by one arm as he threatened to make a rescue attempt in the dangerous waters on the outskirts of the town. But Chang, the greatest survivor of them all, survived.

In 1961 Langlands played his first representative game for Illawarra. The brash teenager with the duck-tail hair cut by that time had firmly established himself in the Wollongong team at fullback.

A good player named Ellis Bridge had been switched to the wing to make room for Chang. Wollongong knew they had a winner — but they didn't know how long they could hang on to him.

langlandsmudpic.jpg

Graeme Langlands in action for the Dragons. :copyright:Rugby League Week/NRL Photos
Sydney clubs were already buzzing about the young fullback from the south coast — and another young fullback from the coalfields named Les Johns.

In 1962 Johns was named Country Firsts fullback and Langlands was in Country Seconds.

But fate took a hand. Johns dropped out with injury and the fresh-faced kid from Wollongong got the call-up. The record books tell the rest of the story.

Country, with the skilful Tony Paskins as skipper, skittled the City stars 18-8.

Chang had arrived. That night, flushed with success he had Country team-mate Ron Hopper stopped at St George Leagues club — the old St George Leagues club — to have a couple of celebratory beers.

They were on their way back down the coast. Standing a stone's throw along the bar was Frank "Fearless" Facer, the eagle-eyed St George secretary. After a while Facer came over and talked about the game with Langlands and Hopper over a couple of middies.

It was innocent talk; at that stage Saints didn't want a fullback. They had Brian Graham, a cool customer who was doing the job they wanted.

One month later Graham was transferred to Korea in his job.

Suddenly Saints needed a fullback.

Langlands, the freakish, side-stepping goalkicking kid from the south coast was the one they settled on.

Soon after, one of the most remarkable player-club associations in the history of Rugby League began.

Read part 2 of the Graeme Langlands story on NRL.com on Sunday

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/16/mighty-chang-how-langlands-became-a-superstar/