What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Sergis ready to rip into 2019
Author
Laura Gale
Timestamp
Tue 18 Jun 2019, 05:09 PM

St George Illawarra outside back Jess Sergis will make her return to the Dragons for the 2019 NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

After suffering a knee injury in the back-end of 2018 Sergis is looking forward to playing again in September and hopes it will be an injury-free year.

"I'm very excited," Sergis said. "I feel good. Touch wood, no injuries. It was such a fun time last year and I can't wait to do it all again in September.

The outside back was a strong presence for the Dragons in 2018 and said the friendships the girls created within the team was the key to a positive season.

"We’re pretty lucky that we all play in a similar comp, so we get to see each other maybe twice a week," Sergis said.

"I guess that’s really important. We have to build that team and that friendship to play better and that's what we're going to do."

Missing out on representing Australia last year due to her injury, Sergis is hungry to put on the green and gold again for the Jillaroos.

"That’s the goal, to play the test match," Sergis said.

"Hopefully everything goes well for 2019 and my body is right, I play some good footy and I’ll be there again at the end of the year."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/18/sergis-ready-to-rip-into-2019/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra unveil latest female signings for NRL Women's premiership
  • Dragons Den
    r0_530_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Burning desire: Keeley Davis, Maddi Weatherall and Rikeya Horne. Picture: Anna Warr.

As the NSW Blues arrive in Perth in search of redemption following their Origin I loss a fortnight ago, one of the Illawarra's own is embarking on her own quest for redemption.

After earning a Jillaroos debut at just 18 years of age following a standout showing in the inaugural NRL Women's premiership, Keeley Davis was labelled a star of the future.

That status was reinforced when the five-eighth was handed a full-time NRL Women's contract, just one of 19 players to receive a contract.

But then came the reality check.

When the Blues unveiled their team for Friday night's State of Origin clash, Davis' name was absent.

It's a snub Davis admits still hurts, but it's one that has a silver lining.

On Monday as she was announced as the Dragons latest signing for the 2019 NRL Women's competition, Davis said missing out on selection has made her even more determined to perform for St George Illawarra and return to the representative stage at the end of the year.

"It was definitely disappointing to miss out on NSW selection," Davis said. "But now I can focus on St George Illawarra this year and getting nice and fit for the NRLW season.

"I'm 100 per cent focused on getting back in that Australian team. Missing out on NSW has been very motivating, so I can't wait for the season to start."

Davis was unveiled as a Dragons signing alongside fellow Illawarra juniors Rikeya Horne and Maddi Weatherall and St George Tarsha Gale star Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili.

Davis, Horne and Weatherall are all graduates of the Steelers successful Tarsha Gale Cup program, with Weatherall playing a starring role in Illawarra's premiership earlier this year.

Weatherall earned an NRL development contract in 2018, with the only thing stopping St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey from signing her to a full contract being her age.

Now that she is set to make the step up to elite women's competition, the 17-year-old, Weatherall turns 18 in September, said she's expecting the transition to be a tough one, but it's a challenge she's excited to tackle.

"It's great to sign with the Dragons, it's one of my biggest achievements," Weatherall said.

"Having a development contract last year helped me a lot. It was really good, the girls were helping me a lot and seeing how they do stuff really made me keen and made me want to play even more.

"It's cool to step up to open's competition now, but they're a lot stronger and bigger, so I'll have to keep working hard."

Before she runs out for St George Illawarra in September, Weatherall has a more immediate challenge to confront, Friday night's Under 18 State of Origin fixture.

Weatherall is one of seven Illawarra Steelers to be named in the Daniel Lacey-coached NSW team, the selections reflecting the team's dominance in the Tarsha Gale Cup, and she's looking forward to leading her state to victory at North Sydney Oval.

"I'm so excited for Friday night. I'm just really excited to get out there and just be with the girls. There's a lot of good girls in the team through the Tarsha Gale competition and the best part is having so many Steelers girls, so it's really exciting."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-signings-for-nrl-womens-premiership/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Let's make Origin a night to remember again
Author
Mary Konstantopoulos NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 19 Jun 2019, 12:00 PM

If you asked me my highlight of the 2018 rugby league season, without hesitation I would say the inaugural Women’s State of Origin at North Sydney Oval.

For those who have followed the women’s game for so long, it was a watershed moment.

For the pioneers of the women’s game, it was a moment they never thought would come.

There were just under 7000 people in attendance and they were treated to a quality match with bone-rattling hits (cue Simaima Taufa), spectacular tries (cue Isabelle Kelly) and a tight game which NSW won by four points.

Then amongst the madness of the celebration for the Blues and the commiserations for Queensland the fans stormed the field and had the opportunity to celebrate with the rest of their rugby league family.

Match: NSW Women v QLD Women

Round 1 - Friday 21st June

7:45pm

Home Team

NSW Women

Away Team

QLD Women

Venue: North Sydney Oval

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
Fast forward 12 months and we are just two sleeps away from this year’s fixture and the opportunity for all of us to make sure that this year’s occasion is even better than 2018.

And I have no doubt it will be.

When you look at the squads, there are plenty of new faces. There are seven debutants in the NSW side and four for Queensland. In the NSW side, there are only eight women returning from last year.

Some are unavailable due to pregnancy like Samantha Bremner, Nakia Davis-Welsh and Taleena Simon, but other women like Ruan Sims, Rebecca Young and Elliana Walton were not selected.

Mic'd up: Gillmeister puts Maroons through their paces

In some ways it will be sad to see these women not taking part, but it's exciting to hear the stories of our debutantes. Like Kira Dibb, who wasn’t at the game last year because she was overseas and only took rugby league up again this year after she saw the growth in the women’s game.

Then there's Stephanie Mooka, who has been on the cusp of selection for the last six years but hasn’t quite made it because she couldn’t afford to come into camp or she couldn’t take time away from her job.

And Shontelle Stowers, who has overcome at least three serious injuries to play this Friday night.

But there’s plenty more happening, too.

Taufa lauds fresh faces

So often when we talk about next steps in the women’s game, the assumption is always that we should be doing more - whether it be playing more games in the Origin series, introducing more teams in the NRLW or giving the women the opportunity to play in front of bigger audiences at larger grounds.

But the key for the NRL is sustainable growth and developing a pathway to ensure that success continues for many years.

That’s why I was so pleased to hear that an under 18’s women’s State of Origin fixture will be played as a curtain-raiser at North Sydney.

If you have a look at the teams, they are clear evidence that the pathways are working.

For NSW, the squad includes 10 players from Tarsha Gale premiers the Illawarra Steelers, including player of the series Maddison Weatherall and three players from beaten grand finalists Newcastle.

'I'm proud to be me' - Karina Brown

Additionally other women in this team like Sophie and Emily Curtain have graduated from the Tarsha Gale competition and are now playing in the Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership.

For Queensland, this squad is reflective of the work done in developing female rugby league talent. This started in 2017 with the under 15s emerging Origin camp. Many of the players selected were part of this program and have also come through the QRL’s pathway program.

No doubt many of these women will be playing in the main game in the next couple of years.

I remember standing on the hill at North Sydney Oval during the last 10 minutes of last year’s game as the crowd began to chant ‘New South Wales, New South Wales’.

This is the part where all of you come in.

Last year’s Women’s State of Origin was played in front of over 6800 people and to a national audience eclipsing 750,000.

Penitani's journey from sevens rugby to State of Origin

If you are in Sydney and can be there on Friday night, we need you and your voice.

Last year, when the Blues arrived on their team bus at North Sydney Oval, they were told that there may be some people waiting to greet them.

When Talesha Quinn got off the bus and saw a couple of hundred people waiting she had to stop and think about what else may have been happening in the North Sydney area that night. Then the penny dropped and she realised that all the people were there for her team.

Let’s surprise them again this year and make sure that shield stays in NSW.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/19/lets-make-origin-a-night-to-remember-again/

getsmarty

Immortal
gyspie.jpg

DRAGONS

Throwback Thursday: Rep Round
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 20 Jun 2019, 03:00 PM

With the NRL Representative Round putting the competition proper on hold for the week, players will instead strap their boots up for their home countries.

Dragons.com.au has decided to look at famous performances from St George Illawarra players in Tests involving Samoa and New Zealand.

New Zealand 17 defeated England 16
Alfred McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield, England
October 29, 2016.

A Gareth Widdop inspired comeback wasn't enough for England to trump Jason Nightingale's New Zealand Kiwis in this one-point thriller.

In front of over 20,000 fans, the two rivals contested a see-sawing match which wasn't decided until the final stages.

With England trailing in the second half, an overhead flick pass from Widdop put winger Ryan Hall over for a slender lead. Widdop's perfect goal-kicking performance (four goals) also helped England's cause, but a Shaun Johnson field goal would eventually prove the difference.

Fiji 20 defeated Samoa 18
Apia Park, Samoa
October 8, 2016

Leading 18-0 after just 20 minutes, Samoa wouldn't be able to contain a Fijian rampage by game's end; the Bati scoring 20 unanswered points to win the match.

Leading Samoa from the front was former Dragons cult hero Leeson Ah Mau Unfortunately for Ah Mau, an injury just nine minutes in prevented him from taking the field for the rest of the match. Dragons centre Tim Lafai stepped up as one of the more experienced players in the side and produced an impressive 130 metres.

With their captain off the field, Samoa couldn't do much to stop the Fijian side who were boosted by an 80-minute performance from Korbin Sims (one try assist and 32 tackles).

New Zealand 14 defeated Samoa 12
Toll Stadium, Whangarei, New Zealand
November 1, 2014

A Jason Nightingale four-pointer set up a grandstand finish in this Pacific clash, where two tries in the final 15 minutes helped spur New Zealand to victory in front of a home crowd as part of the 2014 Four Nations.

Nightingale's effort down the sideline put the Kiwis within reach of the lead before the final nail in the coffin came just four minute from full-time via now Newcastle winger Shaun Kenny-Dowall.

Ah Mau was once again in the frame in the back row for Samoa alongside other past Dragons Kyle Stanley, Daniel Vidot and Mose Masoe as well as current centre Lafai.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/20/throwback-thursday-rep-round/

getsmarty

Immortal
simss.jpg

DRAGONS

Five Things: Rep Round
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 20 Jun 2019, 03:10 PM

Just because the NRL is taking the week off, it doesn’t mean rugby league has gone to sleep. This weekend is packed with Dragons stars lacing up for different representative sides. Below are five matches to keep an eye out for across the weekend.

Women's State of Origin

A grand total of nine Dragons Women's Premiership players will represent New South Wales in the Women's State of Origin.

The Women's State of Origin clash was thrown into the spotlight last year following a highly entertaining match featuring plenty of big hits and thrilling plays that saw NSW claim a 16-10 win.

The Blues side will feature Dragons Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Takilele Katoa, Tiana Penitani, Jess Sergis, Maddie Studdon, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh and Holli Wheeler.

The match kicks off 7:45pm on Friday, June 21 at North Sydney Oval. You can watch live on Channel Nine or online at 9now.com.au.

State of Origin II

The equation is simple for NSW – win or lose the series. After Queensland drew first blood in the Origin opener, Dragons forwards Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims will all wear sky blue at the first ever State of Origin match at Perth's Optus Stadium.

Both Dragons halves have also had their names recorded on the Queensland team list. Ben Hunt stunned punters with a solid 80-minute Origin I performance at hooker despite limited time in the role.

Corey Norman looms in the reserves ready to jump into the team, if the opportunity presents itself.

The Dragons' State of Origin players take to the field at 7:50pm on Sunday, June 23. Watch live on Channel Nine or online at 9now.com.

Fiji v Lebanon

The first of a male international double-header at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday presents an exciting match up in Fiji and Lebanon.

The Fiji side is bolstered by three Dragons players in Korbin Sims, Mikaele Ravalawa and Joe Lovodua.

The Lebanon team will feature Dragons' Jersey Flegg up-and-comer Jalal Bazzaz. Bazzaz, already an Australian Schoolboy, will add his first international cap to his list of achievements at just 18 years old.

You can catch the game on 9gem or Foxtel at 5:40pm on, Saturday, June 22, which will be followed by Samoa v Papua New Guinea.

Cook Islands v South Africa

While other countries play for pride and bragging rights in the Pacific Tests, the Cook Islands and South Africa will face off in a high stakes match to keep their 2021 Rugby League World Cup hopes alive.

The winner of the match will progress to the final stage of qualifiers and play the United States of America for the final spot in the World Cup.

The Cook Islands campaign will rely on the performance of Dragons centre Steven Marsters, who will line up in the backs.

The World Cup qualifier kicks off at 7pm on Friday, June 21. The match won't be on TV but you can see the game live at Wentworthville's Ringrose Park.

Under 18s Women's State of Origin

Recent Dragons NRL Holden Women's Premiership signing Maddison Weatherall will captain NSW's Under-18s side in their first encounter against their Queensland counterparts.

The Under 18s Women's match will be played as a curtain-raiser to the main Women's Origin later that night, and is sure to be filled with the same rivalry.

The match won't be shown on TV but if you are travelling to North Sydney Oval be sure to turn up early (5:45pm) to watch Weatherall and eight other St George Illawarra junior representative players run out for the Blues.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/20/five-things-rep-round/

getsmarty

Immortal
'I got teased': How rugby league is changing perceptions about body image
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 20 Jun 2019, 04:00 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Kezie Apps has a large port wine birthmark on her leg that she would often try to cover up as a teenager and the NSW captain was also teased at school about her height.

Apps, who will skipper the Blues for the first time in Friday night's Women's State of Origin at North Sydney Oval, has been using her profile as one of the game's biggest female stars to promote positive body image messages.

"I've got a massive birthmark on my leg and when I was younger it was a lot darker so I used to hate showing my leg," Apps said. "I used to wear jeans or people would say 'what's wrong with your leg'. I hated it so I guess it did effect me."

As an ambassador for St George Illawarra, Apps regularly visits schools to talk with students about body image, diet, fitness and well-being as part of the club's The Best You Can Be program.

A number of school teachers have told NRL.com that the introduction of Women's State of Origin and the NRLW has had a positive impact on the attitudes of teenage girls towards body image.

Apps said rugby league promotes all body shapes as there are different roles and skills for players.

appsk_1nh_0482.jpg

NSW Origin star Kezie Apps. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
"Contrary to what you see in the media, we are not all supposed to look the same," Apps said. "Rugby league is such an inclusive sport because all different shapes and sizes can play and I guess girls are seeing that.

"It's not just for your small fast people, if you want to have a go at rugby league there is a position you can play and that is what I love about it.

"I get a lot of messages from girls who have seen me play or have heard my story and it's nice to hear that. I get a real buzz from inspiring someone else to want to play and just being a role model for them."

Apps grew up in Bega and played alongside Melbourne forward Dale Finucane – who will make his NSW Origin debut in Perth on Sunday night – until she was forced to quit when she was 12 years old as girls were not allowed to play beyond that age.

Finucane told NRL.com that "Kezie was the best player in our team", and she would regularly top the tackle count in matches and win leading try-scorer for the season.

It was another decade before Apps played again after seeing a television news bulletin about the Jillaroos beating New Zealand to claim their first World Cup in 2013 and joining her nearest club at Helensburgh – a 10-hour round trip for training and games.

The effort Apps went to so she could play and the success she has enjoyed is an inspiration for many young female players, particularly those from country areas.

Women's State of Origin

However, she also wants girls who watch her play to feel comfortable about their bodies.

"Growing up and getting to puberty or going from primary school to high school, everyone changes at different times," Apps said.

"Most people who have the port wine birthmark have it on their face so I was lucky enough to get it on my leg. I have always been tall and I hated that, especially going through school because I got teased a little bit about being so tall.

7:45pm

Home Team

NSW Women

Away Team

QLD Women

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
"When I go into schools I let them know that it shouldn't happen but if it does happen it is something that everyone experiences, and it shouldn't define your future or you shouldn't let it get to you because everyone is different.

"I've experienced it and look where I am now. I think that's a really good message that we try to tell the kids."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...gue-is-changing-perceptions-about-body-image/

getsmarty

Immortal
NSW under 18s women kick off rep round with strong win
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 21 Jun 2019, 07:13 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

NSW have drawn first blood at North Sydney Oval with the under 18s women's side notching up a 24-4 victory over Queensland in a curtain-raiser on Friday night.

Illawarra Steelers product Teagan Berry scored a double as the Blues piled on three entertaining tries in front of a healthy crowd building ahead of the main women's Origin game.

The Maroons shot out of the blocks with all the momentum but the Blues' defensive line held firm to deny an attacking raid early.

Defence soon turned to attack for NSW when Maroons fullback China Polata fell short of reaching out to the plant the ball down.

Queensland had the Blues on the ropes until Berry swung the momentum to swoop on a pass and race 95 metres to the line.

Queensland responded with some brutal hits led by Lyllian Mikaio and Jessikah Reeves in the middle while Polata continued to look dangerous with some sharp kick returns.

Blues fullback Tess Staines went close to splitting the Maroons' defensive line herself until Newcastle Tarsha Gale Cup back-rower Olivia Kernick finished off a Caitlan Johnston kick out wide to stumble over untouched.

Match: NSW U18s Women v QLD U18s Women

Full Time

Home Team

NSW U18s Women

Scored 24 points

Away Team

QLD U18s Women

Scored 4 points

Match broadcasters:

• NRL TV
Emma Manzelmann was causing chaos around the ruck for the Maroons but after a couple of costly errors from the Queensland No.9 Polata enabled NSW to take a 12-0 lead at half-time.

Errors were the Maroons' worst enemy after the break with NSW the first to score in the second half and just about wrap up the game.

Rhiannon Tungai got busy around the ruck but the night belonged to Berry, who almost pulled off a scintillating try when she broke down the left edge before chipping over Polata and failing to regather.

Tungai and Perry were thick in the action for the Blues a minute later when Maroons centre Rhiannon Revell-Blair lost the ball from the scrum feed.

Berry finished off her second of the night in the corner and a sideline conversion from Emily Curtain pushed the lead out to an 18-point advantage.

A rushed pass under pressure from the Blues enabled Courtney Tamati to cross for the Maroons with nine minutes remaining.

But a story of the night for the Maroons was their error count, which proved costly in greasy conditions at the venue.

NSW sealed the result with three minutes remaining as Johnston charged down the left edge to step past three defenders and cross next to the posts.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/21/nsw-under-18s-women-kick-off-rep-round-with-strong-win/

getsmarty

Immortal
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/topic/match-report/

NSW women fight back to defend State of Origin title
Author
Timestamp
Fri 21 Jun 2019, 09:39 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Maddie Studdon proved she is still one of the most influential women’s playmakers by leading NSW to a 14-4 win over Queensland before a crowd of 10,515 in the Women’s State of Origin at North Sydney Oval.

A year after being forced to quit her job to captain the Blues in the inaugural Women’s Origin, Studdon went into the match with a point to prove after being shunted from the Sydney Roosters side for last season’s NRLW grand final and losing her spot in the Jillaroos squad.

Just days after signing with St George Illawarra, Studdon showcased her skills to steer the Blues to a three-tries-to-one win with a superb second-half performance in which she scored a try and laid on another for new NRLW team-mate Shakaih Tungai.

Studdon capped a memorable night by taking home the Nellie Doherty medalist for player of the match.

Studdon slices through for the Blues

Queensland led 4-0 at halftime after second-rower Tazmin Gray scored the only try of a fast and furious first term in the 25th minute.

Both teams completed all but two of their sets but a 5-1 penalty county and some poor last-tackle options by NSW enabled the Maroons to dominate field possession and coach Jason Hetherington would have been disappointed not to have a bigger lead at the 30th minute interval.

A 40:30 kick by halfback Jenni-Sue Hoepper gave Queensland the ascendency in the 11th minute and only a desperate tackle by Hannah Southwell prevented veteran prop Heather Ballinger from scoring in the next set of tackles.

Maroons five-eighth and captain Ali Brigginshaw forced a repeat set with a perfectly weighted grubber into the NSW in-goal and a ruck penalty against prop Simaima Taufa piled more pressure on the Blues.

Full Time

Home Team

NSW Women

Scored 14 points

Away Team

QLD Women

Scored 4 points

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
However, Queensland were unable to capitalise after a pass from Brigginshaw to prop Tallisha Harden was ruled forward as she crashed over the tryline.

Star hooker Brittany Breayley threw a scare into the Maroons camp when she suffered a leg injury but the 2018 Dally M medallist recovered quickly to earn a play-the-ball penalty as she raced out of dummy half and another infringement by Southwell put Queensland in a good attacking position.

Eventually the weight of possession took its toll on the NSW defence, and Gray scored five minutes before halftime when she dummied and stepped inside centre Isabelle Kelly to cross for the first try of the game.

The Blues best scoring opportunity of the first half was an in-field grubber from winger Shakiah Tungai in the final minute that Queensland second-rower Annette Brander had to scramble to clean up and carry over the dead ball line.

However, it was a different story in the second half as the Blues took control and piled on three tries to ensure they retained the Women’s State of Origin Shield.

The first signs of how the game would turn after half-time came after Tungai swooped on a Studdon grubber in the 35th minute only for referee Grant Atkins to rule that she had bounced the ball attempting to ground it.

Fellow winger Jessica Sergis levelled the scores at 4-all in the 39th minute after a long pass from Kirra Dibb created space for her out wide and a 40:30 kick by the NSW five-eighth put her side within striking distance again.

Dibb floats a pass over to Sergis

Tungai scored in the 44th minute after Studdon feigned to kick and linked with Kelly who put the winger over in the corner and the Blues halfback then ensured the win when she dummied and stepped her way over the try line six minutes later.

After Queensland dominated the interstate clashes for more than a decade the Blues have now won four years straight and have unearthed plenty of rising stars in the process.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/21/nsw-women-fight-back-to-defend-state-of-origin-title/

getsmarty

Immortal
nsw-celebrate-1gp_7158.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Brutal honesty behind turnaround for Blues and Studdon
Author
Timestamp
Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:15 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Maddie Studdon has credited a midweek honesty session among NSW players and some blunt truths from her Cronulla coach Glenn Brailey for reviving the fortunes of the Blues and her own career.

Studdon produced an outstanding second-half performance to steer NSW to a 14-4 victory in Friday night’s Women’s State of Origin at North Sydney Oval and earn the Nellie Doherty Medal as player of the match before a crowd of 10,515 adoring fans.

It was a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for the former NSW captain who had been banished from the Sydney Roosters team for last year’s NRLW grand final and lost her place in the Jillaroos squad.

With NSW fortunate to only be trailing 4-0 at halftime after Queensland dominated possession and field position, Studdon stepped up in the second term and directed the Blues around, while also scoring a try and setting up another for winger Shakiah Tungai.

Match Highlights: Women's Origin - NSW v QLD

“I think that just shows what kind of passion we have for NSW,” Studdon said. “We were very calm, we weren’t stressed at all. We had positive talk all around us and we just believed in the sisterhood that we have in our team.“

However, there had been concerns during the week with the way the NSW players were gelling with seven debutants in the team and Blues coach Andy Patmore got them together for a truth session.

“We all realised we had a bit of a clunkiness earlier in the week so we had, not a crisis meeting but a quick talk about it, and they owned it," Patmore said.

“I led the conversations but they owned the conversations and made sure we stuck together, we worked out our little differences and we worked out our timings and to their credit the end of the week was exceptional."

Studdon said the honesty session had been a significant factor in the win.

“If we didn’t have that meeting we probably would have had problems out on the field,” Studdon said.

“That was the good thing about Andy, he addressed us early in the week and we spoke honestly. We really built that on there and that is where it started from.

Dibb floats a pass over to Sergis

“The first couple of sessions we were not great but it was good that Andy pulled us all aside and we had that in-house talk and we just spoke as a team. We were just all honest and that really helped us through the whole week.”

She also praised Brailey, the father of Cronulla hookers Jayden and Blayke, for telling her some home truths that have helped improve her game after falling out of favour at the Roosters last season.

Studdon has since joined the Sharks in the Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership and will play for St George Illawarra in this season’s NRLW competition.

“There is a good culture at the Sharkies and we all get on like a house on fire. We have been working really hard, it was probably the hardest pre-season I have had and Glenn Brailey is a really good coach,” Studdon said.

Studdon slices through for the Blues

“He gives constructive feedback to everyone and girls can take it on board and they are not offended.

"He has turned me into a good player that I am today by telling me to just play eyes-up footy, numbers, simple, not over-thinking things and just being patient.

“I knew I had to focus on my game, I knew that I went away from playing good football and there was too much outside noise and distractions.

"I had a good off-season and Glenn has been heaps of help for me this season and I have been going out and playing good footy and enjoying it.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/22/brutal-honesty-behind-turnaround-for-blues-and-studdon/

getsmarty

Immortal
Fiji Bati v Lebanon: Pacific Test preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 09:38 AM

The Fijians have named a strong squad with a liberal sprinkling of NRL players for the 2019 Ox & Palm Pacific Test Invitational against Lebanon.

They have speed out wide in wingers Maika Sivo and Suliasi Vunivalu, strength up front in Korbin Sims and Tui Kamikamica, and a good mix of both in tearaway back-rower Viliame Kikau.

The Bati will be counting on the likes of Marcelo Montoya, Jason Bukuya and Mika Ravalawa to stand tall.

It's a tough ask for Lebanon but they won't be short or pride or effort, especially with Robbie Farah and Tim Mannah on board.

Coach Rick Stone will also be banking on NRL players Michael Lichaa and Abbas Miski to provide leadership, especially with halfback Mitch Moses ruled out.

Match: Fiji v Lebanon

Round 1 - Saturday 22nd June

5:40pm

Home Team

Fiji

Away Team

Lebanon

Venue: Leichhardt Oval

Match broadcasters:

• GEM
  • Foxtel
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Whether he likes it or not (and he probably loves it given his competitive nature and immeasurable pride), Tim Mannah has to shoulder a lot of responsibility if Lebanon are going to spring an upset. The evergreen prop will match motors with another proud warrior in Korbin Sims and their battle up front should be a beauty.

For Fiji to win
As long as they don't take their opponents for granted, the flamboyant Fijians should have too much firepower all over the park. They beat Lebanon 40-28 in 2014 and it'll be interesting to see if the gap has closed or widened in five years. Korbin Sims should combine with fellow forwards Bukuya and Kamikamica to lay a solid platform up front. If all else fails, just give the ball to 'Vili' and get out of the way.

For Lebanon to win
Farah will need to produce a man of the match performance while Mannah will have to play like Glenn Lazarus. No doubt they'll miss the flair and creativity of Moses, but if they can hold their own with the Bati forwards, Farah might have enough tricks up his sleeve to give the Cedars a fighting chance.

Stat Attack
Maika Sivo has quickly established himself as one of the game's most exciting players. The Eels winger is among the NRL's top five for tries (12) and line breaks (12).

And another thing ...
Jarryd Hayne played 10 games for Fiji, debuting in 2008 and returning to the Bati for the 2017 World Cup. Hayne had already debuted for the Australian team in 2007 before lining up for Fiji in '08. He was selected for Australia 12 times, his final representation in the green and gold occurring in 2013. Hayne played 12 games for Australia before turning out for the Bati in 2017 and again in 2018.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/22/fiji-bati-v-lebanon-pacific-test-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
Korbin Sims leads Fiji to comprehensive win
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 07:33 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Maika Sivo and Suliasi Vunivalu scored entertaining doubles as Fiji Bati cruised to a 58-14 thrashing of Lebanon in the the Ox & Palm Pacific Test at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night.

After a week of turmoil between the playing group and the Lebanese Rugby League Federation, the Cedars had no answers for a dominant Fijian side that produced six first half tries in a 24-minute blitz.

Two tries to Vunivalu and a four-pointer to rampaging forward Viliame Kikau set up the win with a 34-4 lead at halftime.

Melbourne Storm prop Tui Kamikamica took just seven minutes to charge his way over the line leaving three Cedars defenders in his wake.

Match: Fiji v Lebanon

Round 1 - Saturday 22nd June

Full Time

Home Team

Fiji

Scored 58 points

Away Team

Lebanon

Scored 14 points

Venue: Leichhardt Oval

Match broadcasters:

• GEM
  • Foxtel
The Bati side were over for their second of the night nine minutes later when Brandon Wakeham delivered a crisp pass for Vunivalu to dive over in the corner.

Sivo had a night to remember in his maiden Test appearance with the Fijian flyer acrobatically collecting a Siti Moceidreke cross-field kick to plant the ball down for the first international try of his career.

Fiji Bati were over again four minutes later with Viliame Kikau tippy-toeing his way to avoid the sideline down one end to then using some late footwork to dive over untouched.

The scoreboard continued to keep up with the clock when Joe Lovodua split through the middle to find Wakeham in support for a dominant 28-0 lead.

Sivo monsters his way over

Points continued to flow as Vunivalu dived over for a double despite a hint of double movement.

Lebanon finally crossed in the 38th minute with Canterbury hooker Michael Lichaa burrowing his way over the line from close range to get the Cedars on the board.

Our start won it for us. We were on right from that opening kick-off,” said Fiji back-rower Jayson Bukuya.

“It was a great effort from the boys and hopefully we can build on this. The goal is to eventually become a tier one nation and I think we’re moving in the right direction.”

Lebanon's start in the second half started just as shaky as the first with Robbie Farah shanking a long-range kick to send it into the stands.

A hard-running Sivo grabbed a double in the ensuing set with the Fijian winger bulldozing Ahmad Ellaz to charge over the line.

The Cedars jagged a try back in the 54th minute with Manly winger Abbas Miski finishing off a well-placed Farah grubber to leap high and wrestle Marcelo Montoya to plant the ball down.

Kamikamica scores first for Fiji

Lebanon enjoyed plenty of possession midway through the second half as Fiji lost their way with ball control and St George Illawarra junior Jacob Kiraz sent Miski over for a double just two minutes after taking the field in his first international.

Fiji quickly responded to the Cedars' swing of momentum with Lovodua wrestling his way past Elie El-Zakhem for the side's eighth of the evening.

Fiji were in on the action again shortly after to reach the 50 mark with newly-appointed captain Korbin Sims sending Bukuya over for a try with a deft short pass, before the Sharks back-rower finished off a long-range break on full-time for a late double.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/22/sivo-and-suli-fire-as-fijians-outclass-cedars/

getsmarty

Immortal
Blues v Maroons: Origin 2 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 23 Jun 2019, 10:05 AM

It's off to Perth for the all-important Origin II, with Optus Stadium serving as a neutral venue after the Maroons claimed the series opener on June 5 at Suncorp Stadium.

The equation is simple: the Blues must win to keep the series alive heading to Sydney for game three, while the Maroons are out to clinch their 12th series in 14 years.

NSW have lost players to injury and made several other changes as they chase the right formula to force the series to a decider.

Queensland have replaced forwards Jai Arrow (syndesmosis) and Joe Ofahengaue (leg injury) with Jarrod Wallace and Tim Glasby.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 2 - Sunday 23rd June

7:50pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Optus Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Team news
Blues: Brad Fittler has made many changes to his NSW team - Latrell Mitchell, Josh Morris, Cody Walker, Angus Crichton have been dropped while Nick Cotric, Payne Haas and David Klemmer are unavailable due to injury. Blake Ferguson, James Maloney, Tariq Sims and Tom Trbojevic have been recalled while Dale Finucane and Daniel Saifiti have been selected to make their Origin debuts.

Maroons: Kevin Walters has tweaked his successful Origin I squad with Dylan Napa promoted to starting prop to replace the injured Jai Arrow with Tim Glasby coming onto the bench. Jarrod Wallace has been recalled to the bench for another forward unavailable due to injury, Joe Ofahengaue. Napa has a wrist injury but is expected to play.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 2 - Sunday 23rd June

7:50pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue:Optus Stadium

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Maroons is number 1 Kalyn Ponga

Fullback for Blues is number 1 James Tedesco
  • Winger for Maroons is number 2 Corey Oates

Winger for Blues is number 2 Blake Ferguson
  • Centre for Maroons is number 3 Michael Morgan

Centre for Blues is number 3 Tom Trbojevic
  • Centre for Maroons is number 4 Will Chambers

Centre for Blues is number 4 Jack Wighton
  • Winger for Maroons is number 5 Dane Gagai

Winger for Blues is number 5 Josh Addo-Carr
  • Five-Eighth for Maroons is number 6 Cameron Munster

Five-Eighth for Blues is number 6 James Maloney
  • Halfback for Maroons is number 7 Daly Cherry-Evans

Halfback for Blues is number 7 Nathan Cleary
Forwards
  • Prop for Maroons is number 8 Dylan Napa

Prop for Blues is number 8 Daniel Saifiti
  • Hooker for Maroons is number 9 Ben Hunt

Hooker for Blues is number 9 Damien Cook
  • Prop for Maroons is number 10 Josh Papalii

Prop for Blues is number 10 Paul Vaughan
  • 2nd Row for Maroons is number 11 Felise Kaufusi

2nd Row for Blues is number 11 Boyd Cordner
  • 2nd Row for Maroons is number 12 Matt Gillett

2nd Row for Blues is number 12 Tyson Frizell
  • Lock for Maroons is number 13 Josh McGuire

Lock for Blues is number 13 Jake Trbojevic
Interchange
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 14 Moses Mbye

Interchange for Blues is number 14 Dale Finucane
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 15 Jarrod Wallace

Interchange for Blues is number 15 Tariq Sims
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 16 Tim Glasby

Interchange for Blues is number 16 Cameron Murray
  • Interchange for Maroons is number 17 David Fifita

Interchange for Blues is number 17 Wade Graham
Reserves
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 18 Christian Welch

Reserve for Blues is number 18 Ryan Matterson
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 19 Corey Norman

Reserve for Blues is number 19 Clinton Gutherson
  • Reserve for Maroons is number 20 Kurt Capewell
Maroons Ins
  • Christian Welch
  • Corey Norman
  • Jarrod Wallace
  • Kurt Capewell
  • Tim Glasby
Ins
Blues Ins
  • Blake Ferguson
  • Clinton Gutherson
  • Dale Finucane
  • Daniel Saifiti
  • James Maloney
  • Ryan Matterson
  • Tariq Sims
  • Tom Trbojevic
  • Wade Graham
Maroons Outs
  • Jai Arrow
  • Joe Ofahengaue
Outs
Blues Ins
  • Angus Crichton
  • Cody Walker
  • David Klemmer
  • Josh Morris
  • Latrell Mitchell
  • Nick Cotric
  • Payne Haas
Key match-up
No other game presents multiple mouth-watering match-ups like Origin, but it's hard to go past the battle of the No.9s - Damien Cook v Ben Hunt. Cook shaded James Tedesco as the Blues' best player in game one, while Hunt silenced his critics by sparking the Maroons to victory with a superb second-half display. Cook's the best hooker in the world not named Cameron Smith and Hunt has to pick up where he left off in Brisbane to match it with his hooker rival.

For the Blues to win
After starting so well in game one, the Blues allowed themselves to be run down in the second half. Maybe it wasn't a full-blown choke, but they certainly struggled to handle the pressure when the Maroons, invigorated by deafening hometown support, took control after half-time. Another close contest seems inevitable and Brad Fittler needs to remind his leaders and playmakers to keep the team focused and calm in crunch time.

For the Maroons to win
They were out of sync in the first half of game one but did enough to stay close before stealing the Blues' thunder in the second half for an 18-14 win. Kevvie Walters has his team in the box seat but they can't show up with the same game plan and expect to win. Walters and his play-making trio of Munster, DCE and Morgan have to conjure a couple of new tricks to keep Fittler and his troops guessing.

Stat Attack
Ben Hunt topped the tackle count in game one with 53, while Damien Cook was second with 45. Dane Gagai posted the most run metres (270), with James Tedesco second (254). Kalyn Ponga was instrumental in the 18-14 win, finishing with two try assists, two line break assists, seven tackle breaks and one line break.

And another thing ...
The Blues hold the record for most points in an Origin game with their 56-16 shellacking of the Maroons in Game III in 2000. However, Queensland boast the largest winning margin, which occurred in Game III of 2015 when they roasted the Blues 52-6. Johnathan Thurston holds the record for most consecutive Origin games (36), while Wally Lewis has the most appearances as captain (30). 'King Wally' also holds the record for most man of the match awards (8).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/23/blues-v-maroons-origin-2-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
Harvey Norman Jillaroos merit team announced
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Mon 24 Jun 2019, 02:33 PM

Jillaroos selectors have named a Harvey Norman Jillaroos merit team, following the second successful Holden Women's State of Origin match last Friday.

Jillaroos coach Brad Donald congratulated the team, saying this year's Origin match was one of the best matches he had witnessed since commencing as Jillaroos coach in 2016.

"The skill level of our elite female athletes continues to get better and better and I was so proud of the efforts of every player competing for their respective states," Mr Donald said.

"We're in a building phase as we start to focus on the 2021 Rugby League World Cup and you can sense between the elite players that there is a healthy level of competition for spots.

"Throw in the talent coming through the Pathways programs, many of whom featured in the Under 18's fixture on Friday night, and it's the future is bright for women's rugby league.

"Those in this merit team deserve their place and recognition, as we prepare for plenty more rugby league this year, including the Premiership, a Nines Tournament and a Test Match."

NRL General Manager of the Women's Elite Program, Tiffany Slater said the Women's Origin match had attracted a significant increase in fan attendance and TV audience year on year.

"More than 10,500 fans witnessed a rivalry without rival last Friday night at North Sydney Oval, with a million people tuning in," Ms Slater said.

"It was fantastic to see men, women and children of all ages supporting the fastest growing area of our game – women's rugby league – and particularly at the end of the match, when thousands of fans rushed onto the field to greet their heroes that had just been part of a thrilling match.

"I have no doubt that the quality and support of Women's Origin will continue to increase and the best news is that there's still plenty of women's rugby league to be played this year."

The 2019 Harvey Norman Jillaroos Merit Team is as follows:

1. Corban McGregor
  2. Jess Sergis
  3. Amber Pilley
  4. Isabelle Kelly
  5. Steph Mooka
  6. Kirra Dibb
  7. Maddie Studdon
  8. Chelsea Lenarduzzi
  9. Brittany Breayley
  10. Simaima Taufa
  11. Holli Wheeler
  12. Annette Brander
  13. Hannah Southwell
  14. Ali Brigginshaw
  15. Millie Boyle
  16. Steph Hancock
  17. Botille Vette-Welsh

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/24/harvey-norman-jillaroos-merit-team-announced/

getsmarty

Immortal
tungais-2gp_8379.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Tungai keen to build Dragons combination with Studdon
Author
Timestamp
Sun 23 Jun 2019, 01:00 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra winger Shakiah Tungai is looking forward to playing more regularly with Maddie Studdon at the Dragons this season after the pair combined to spearhead NSW to a 14-4 triumph over Queensland in Friday night's Origin match at North Sydney Oval.

Studdon, who will move from the Sydney Roosters to St George Illawarra for the upcoming NRLW season, set up a try for Tungai as well as another that was disallowed. Studdon also scored herself to win the Nellie Doherty Medal as player of the match.

With Tungai making her Origin debut for the Blues, it was the first time the duo had played together, but they developed a good combination on the left edge and are excited at the prospect of playing together for the Dragons.

"I definitely am, she has just signed with the Dragons so I am looking forward to that," Tungai said. "I am really excited for her to be at the Dragons this season.

"Obviously we have built a combination here, so it will similar faces there on the left and I am looking forward to it."

Match Highlights: Women's Origin - NSW v QLD

After a rollercoaster 12 months in which she was forced to quit her job to captain NSW to victory in last year’s Origin before being dumped from the Roosters for the grand final of the Holden NRLW premiership, Studdon is looking forward to a new challenge with the Dragons.

The former Jillaroos play-maker begun her career with Helensburgh in the Illawarra competition and will have some familiar faces as teammates, including NSW stars Kezie Apps, Jessica Sergis and Tungai.

Maddie Studdon awarded Nellie Doherty Medal

"That was my first time playing with her, she is a unique player and she has a kick on her too out on the wing," Studdon said.

"She is a very powerful and strong player, and I can't wait to play with her again. She is a good person as well, very down to earth and quiet. She fits into our team really well and I am looking forward to playing with her at the Dragons."

With NSW trailing 4-0 at halftime, Studdon took charge of the game in the second half and almost put Tungai over in the 34th minute with a perfectly weighted grubber into the Maroons in-goal before laying on a try 10 minutes later after feigning to kick and passing outside to centre Isabelle Kelly.

"She had a bloody blinder. She took a lot of control in the second half, which really helped," Tungai said.

Telstra Tracker shows dominance of Studdon's performance

"With the first one she put a really good kick behind the line. I was there but it was just unfortunate not to get that ball down.

"With the second one it was a good eyes-up offload. She does that really well so I guess she has the defence in two minds about whether she is going to kick it or pass it."

Sergis scored NSW’s first try in the 39th minute and Studdon all but secured the win, when she dummied and stepped her way over to score 10 minutes from full-time.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/24/tungai-keen-to-build-dragons-combination-with-studdon/

getsmarty

Immortal
Korbin Sims eager to take on Tariq on Origin stage
Author
Timestamp
Tue 25 Jun 2019, 07:00 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Dragons forward Korbin Sims still has a burning desire to represent Queensland in State of Origin and will aiming to put himself back in the selection frame with a big game against the Cowboys at WIN Stadium on Friday night.

While brother Tariq plays for NSW, Korbin is eligible for Queensland after moving to Brisbane to join the Broncos as a 15-year-old and he hopes to line up against his elder sibling at Origin level.

Despite Sims not having any contact with Maroons coach Kevin Walters during the series, there are some who believe the inclusion of the St George Illawarra enforcer would bolster the Maroons forwards after last Sunday night's 38-6 defeat at Optus Stadium.

"Obviously my year hasn't been great so far. I had the suspension at the start of the year and then six weeks off with injury [broken arm] but if it happens this year it happens," Sims said.

"If it doesn't I have got to grit down and keep working hard to try and make the side soon because it is still very much a big goal of mine to make the Queensland side. For now I have got to try to get my body right and keep playing some good footy."

Sims watched Queensland's capitulation in Perth at home after captaining Fiji for the first time in last Saturday night's Pacific Test against Lebanon at Leichhardt Oval.

He admitted to mixed emotions after Tariq was recalled for the NSW team and made 85 metres with the ball from nine runs in a 25 metre stint, which also included one line-break assist and two tackle breaks.

simst-2gp_3659.jpg

Blues forward Tariq Sims. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"It was really tough, I want to see my brother do well and succeed in everything that he does but that's come at a cost with Queensland not playing so well against a very strong NSW outfit on Sunday over in WA," Sims said.

"He made a couple of decent runs and had a couple of tackle breaks. When he got close to the try line I was rooting for him, especially with him being a back-rower playing in the middle. As a forward the tries don't come often, especially in Origin, so when he gets a bit close to the try line I am cheering him on a bit."

The Blues arrived home on Monday night and Tariq Sims trained with his Dragons teammates on Tuesday morning ahead of Friday night's match against North Queensland.

St George Illawarra second-rower Tyson Frizell played the full 80 metres for NSW after overcoming a neck injury and he is expected to be fit to play the Cowboys, along with Blues prop Paul Vaughan, who carried the ball 119 metres from 13 runs and made five tackle breaks, and Queensland hooker Ben Hunt.

The Dragons had 11 players involved in the representative weekend, with five-eighth Corey Norman selected as 19th man for the Maroons, Mikaele Ravalawa and Joe Lovodua joining Sims in the Fiji team and Jalal Bazzaz in the Lebanon side.

sims-family-190328701-sd.jpg

Tariq, Ruan, CJ and Korbin Sims. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
There were also nine members of the club's NRLW team in last Friday night's Women's State of Origin at North Sydney Oval.

"The representative round is always very good, it gives the non-representative players a bit of time to rest and the players who represent their teams or their countries can take a lot of experience out of what they have been a part of," Sims said.

"It's a very important game for us against the Cowboys. We didn't have the best game against Manly two weeks ago but we have down our review and we can safely say we have spoken about what we need to. We are very excited and Friday night at WIN Stadium is hopefully going to be packed out and we can start the weekend right."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/25/korbin-sims-eager-to-take-on-tariq-on-origin-stage/

Latest posts