What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
taufa-and-george_0233.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

NRLW Dragons to play standalone fixture against Roosters
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 15 Aug 2019, 07:30 PM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Following on the success of the inaugural NRLW season, and the popularity of the Women's State of Origin, there will be two stand-alone matches played in the 2019 competition.

The Warriors round two game at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday, September 22, will be a stand-alone fixture as will the round three game between the Dragons and Roosters at Leichhardt Oval the following weekend.

Last year all three NRLW rounds were held as curtain-raisers to the men's NRL Telstra Premiership games.

"I feel like it's such a good opportunity for women in rugby league," said 20-year-old Najvada George, who has signed on with the Dragons for her first NRLW season.

Kirra Dibb: celebrating the women at the heart of rugby league

"I'm very confident that people will come to watch our stand-alone games because they will want to support the fact women are getting their own match and not dove-tailing with the men.

"It's a small step but it's a perfect time now to showcase how we play, and what we can do."

The NRLW draw will not be done until the NRL club competition ends after round 25. Once the venues for the men's finals are known, that will also determine where the women's round one matches will be played.

But the move to have two stand-alone matches this September was a logical step, according to NRL general manager of the Women’s Elite Program,Tiffany Slater.

Roosters pay tribute to women's team

"On the back of another hugely successful Women’s State of Origin game, this evolution of the competition allows fans to have more women’s rugby league as its own event and more certainty around when and where games will be played," Slater said.

"Sydney fans can revel in the local derby between the Dragons and Roosters at a ground steeped in rugby league history in Leichhardt Oval, while the Warriors reduce their travel demands and can play in front of a home crowd for the first time when they host at Mt Smart Stadium."

George has reduced her travel as well moving from Melbourne, where she played with the Werribee Bears, so she could continue her rugby league career. She plays for the Wests Tigers in the Harvey Norman Women's Premiership.

She has no issue with swapping the black-and-gold for the Red V.

"It might be hard for some but not for me. I'm just really grateful they offered me a contract and I can see how far I go," she said.

Belinda Sharpe: celebrating the women at the heart of rugby league

"What I love about league is the heart of the girls. Some make big sacrifices but they do it because they've got big hearts and love the game."

George has already shown her potential. She started her sporting career in basketball when she was nine years-old. She crossed to rugby league while still living in Victoria and made the Prime Minister's XIII in 2018.

"I missed the NRLW competition last year. I'm very ready to give it a crack this year," said George, who made the NSW City side for the 2019 Harvey Norman National Championships in May on the Gold Coast.

There City's assistant coach Daniel Lacey, who is also Dragons women's head coach, talent-spotted the front-rower and coaxed her to the Dragons.

"He's a chilled guy, but always on top of where we need to be," George said, now that they are into the second week of pre-season. "All the girls are keen trainers so I'm really enjoying it."

Slater said defending NRLW champions Brisbane will feature in double-headers with men’s NRL finals matches, which means with Melbourne and Canberra currently in the top four, there's the potential to showcase the women’s game outside NRLW’s current footprint.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...to-play-stand-alone-fixture-against-roosters/

hazzbeen

Bench
Just not sure where to post this , but can someone tell me who writes the pre game on up and coming games on the live section on this forum ........... Thanks

getsmarty

Immortal
mookas-mn-001.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

The pack-a-day habit Mooka had to quit for NRLW dream
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 18 Aug 2019, 01:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Quitting a 10-year pack-a-day smoking habit has helped Dragons centre Stephanie Mooka earn an NRLW contract this season and fulfil her dream of representing Queensland in State of Origin.

Mooka made the stunning revelation after moving from Cairns to join her new St George Illawarra team-mates for training ahead of the upcoming NRL Holden Women’s Premiership.

The 28-year-old had never played at an elite level before this season and gave up smoking earlier in the year in the belief that this would be her last chance.

After impressing at the National Championships, she was approached about playing for the Dragons and gained selection for Queensland in the State of Origin match at North Sydney Oval in June.

“This year I made a few sacrifices in terms of my health and everything just started happening,” Mooka said

“I smoked for years, I started smoking when I was 18 so it was 10 years. I used to smoke a packet a day, I was really bad. It was really tough for me to give that up but now I wish I had quit sooner.”

NRLW welcomes two standalone matches

The last NRL player known to be a regular smoker was former international Jason Smith, who retired at North Queensland in 2007 after stints with Canterbury, Parramatta and Canberra, as well as Hull FC.

Coaching staff at a Jillaroos training camp earlier this month were surprised to learn of Mooka’s history as a smoker as it was unlikely she would have been able to meet the minimum testing requirements if she had not quit.

“I have been trying to make it [to Queensland selection] for six years and this year was going to be my last year to have a crack,” Mooka said. I thought if I didn’t make it that would be it for me.

“I think a lot of the time my match fitness has let me down and that is why I couldn’t go as far. Last year it was very obvious that I was unfit. I knew smoking was a big part of it and all of the other girls used to encourage me to try and stop.

“I always wanted to give up but I had to be mentally tough. I am really glad now that I did. The Nationals were the first time in a long time that I actually lasted a full game. It felt really good too, to achieve something big.

"I watched the NRLW comp last year and was actually shocked that the Dragons showed interest in me.”

Why the gym is Rikeya Horne's new 'happy place'

The Broncos were also interested in Mooka but St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey made an impression and she chose the Dragons.

For Mooka, training in a high performance environment is new as she has been just happy to be able to play after the women’s competition in Cairns folded in 2011.

While other players moved to Brisbane or Townsville to continue playing, Mooka took up rugby union, and then Rugby 7s, but when those competitions also folded she turned to AFL to stay fit.

Mooka, who has a nine-year-old son, would attend trials for the North Queensland Marlins each year and played alongside the likes of Heather Ballinger and Jenni-Sue Hoepper but was never selected for higher honours until this season.

Kelly aspires for greater heights

“I reckon it would be good if the Cowboys put a team in the NRLW because there are limited opportunities for the girls up there and you have to travel long distances for rep trials,” Mooka said. “I would put my hand up for that if they did.”

For now, Mooka’s focus is on the Dragons but she is already caught the eye of Jillaroos coach Brad Donald, who selected her on the wing in a merit team named after Origin.

Mooka attended the recent Jillaroos training camp on the Gold Coast, and strength and conditioning coach Simon Buxton said she had performed well in the 30-15 intermittent fitness test and other testing.

The 30-15 intermittent fitness test is a shuttle-type beep test which requires players to run 40 metres in 30 second intervals, with 15 seconds of passive recovery. The first 40 metres is performed at 9kph, with the speed increasing incrementally by 0.5kph.

“Stephanie got 17.5 [kph] and she would never have got that if she was still a smoker,” Buxton said. “Our minimum standard to play for the Jillaroos is 17 so she got 17.5, which is fantastic.

“That is a pretty good for a woman who has never done the test before and has also never been in a proper training program so I think if she is in a structured training environment at the Dragons she will have an even higher score next time.”

Mooka said: “I think if I was smoking I wouldn’t have gotten close to reaching that”.

With her rise in profile, Mooka is aware that she is also now a role model and is happy to offer advice to young girls.

“I am glad I gave up smoking because it has had a really positive change,” she said. “I have had a lot of people approach me to go and talk to the young girls at school about not smoking.

“My message to them is that you have got to make the right choices, especially when you are young, because it is going to affect you in the future and you have got to be very disciplined.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/18/the-pack-a-day-habit-mooka-had-to-quit-for-nrlw-dream/

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor all for proposed transfer window
Dragons Den
r0_0_4633_3085_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACKING: Dragons coach Paul McGregor is in favour of proposed trade windows. Picture: Anna Warr
AN NRL transfer window has the in-principle support of Dragons coach Paul McGregor after the proposal won unanimous support at the club CEO's conference on Wednesday.

The likes of Wayne Bennett - who suggested the league was lagging behind other sports in not implementing one - and Ivan Cleary have also endorsed the move that proposes up to three trade windows during the season.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said following the conference that the trade windows would bring transparency to player transfers and restore the faith of fans tired of seeing players commit to other clubs more than a season in advance of their current deals.

The Rugby League Players Association is yet to be convinced of the merit in the idea that proposes windows at the beginning and end of each season and somewhere around the Origin period.

Current rules impose a June 30 deadline for all player transfers, with the Dragons this year signing Patrick Kaufusi as mid-season replacement for stood down star Jack de Belin.

The club was given a little over $200,000 in salary cap relief in order to replace de Belin for this season, a small fraction of his reported $700,000 salary.

With the bulk of the club's roster already contracted for next season and beyond, the Dragons have little room to move in their cap with the de Belin saga set to drag indefinitely into next season.

Trade windows would give a club more flexibility should similar circumstances arise out of disciplinary matters that see the NRL impose it's no-fault stand-down policy.

McGregor admitted he hadn't looked at the finer details of the proposal but said the idea had plenty of merit.

"I haven't looked into it too much but I've read a bit about it and I don't mind it, I think it's good," McGregor said.

"It's definitely something we should look deeper into and open a couple of windows throughout the year.

"You make change at the right time and everyone can be aware of what's happening and what's available instead of sneaking around and doing it like most people do.

"You won't stop everything but that'll help with being nice and open. I think it's a step in the right direction for sure."

It was a brief consideration for McGregor on Friday, with making it back to back wins for the first time since round six against Cronulla on Sunday his top priority.

"Form goes out the window when these two sides clash and it's important we become the finals spoilers for the last month of footy," McGregor said.

"We'll start with the Sharks, they need to win three of their next four so it's an important game for them. We'll go up there with a bit of an attitude to spoil the party."

The club was dealt another injury blow this week, in a year that's had many, with Tariq Sims succumbing to a long-term groin complaint that will see him miss the remainder of the season.

"Taz has been carrying that injury since back in March," McGregor said.

"The performance staff have done really well to manage it over such a long period with injections and rest but Tariq needed to get [surgery] now so he gets full preseason in.

"It's about a 12 to 16-week recovery. Getting it done now he gets a month rest, he'll [then] get eight weeks off at the end of the year like everyone so it'll be a 12-week rest before he gets back into training."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6333219/mcgregor-all-for-proposed-transfer-window/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Young's Hall of Fame career that almost wasn't
Dragons Den
r0_0_8160_5342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HONOUR: Dragons great Craig Young was inducted into the NRL Hall of Fame on Wednesday night. Picture: NRL Photos

The storied career of Dragons great Craig Young is remarkable enough, even before you hear how close it was to never happening at all.

The two-time Dragons premiership-winner and 20-Test veteran's induction into the NRL's Hall of Fame was always a matter of when, not if, in the eyes of many.

It wasn't always the case, certainly not in the eyes of Young himself who had his sight set on emulating his father, and soccer international, Bob's exploits in the round-ball game.

"I didn't even consider playing rugby league as a kid, it was all soccer obviously with dad's background," Young recalls.

"I'll never forget the sports master at Corrimal High School Warwick Allen said they were having trials for the South Coast team to play in the trials for the first Australian Schoolboys side.

"He said 'I'm short a front-rower do you want to have a game?' I said 'I don't know how to play' and he just told me to have a crack and that's the way it happened.

"If it wasn't for [inaugural coach] Roy Masters and the first Australian Schoolboys concept in 1972 I wouldn't have been playing rugby league."

Few have ever picked the sport up as quickly or as well, but his move to Sydney competition from the Illawarra was also a sliding doors moment.

"I was at Thirroul and I had John McCarthy, who played for Balmain, who was great coach then I went to Corrimal and had Oscar Danielson who was a Kiwi International so I was just happy playing there," Young said.

"I got a call from Frank Facer who was the secretary of the Dragons. My father was a coalminer who new the value of a dollar and he said 'knock it back and play for Country again and get more money next year'.

"I said OK but I couldn't sleep so I rang Frank the next day, he jumped in a cab after dad went to work and came down and I signed the contract."

He was Clive Churchill Medalist in the Dragons grand final triumph that season and two years later captained the red v to another at just 23 years of age.

Read more: McGregor all for transfer window

It showed a wisdom beyond his years, but careers in the police force tend to foster that, and offer other experiences that made the footy field less daunting.

"I spent a lot of my service in the armed hold-up squad so that's certainly grounding," he said.

"But one thing [coach] Harry Bath taught me is you'e just got to get the job done, whatever it is.

"Steve Edge was captain in 77 then we had a poor start to 78. Harry came up to me at training and said 'you're captain this week', I said 'captain of what?' he said first grade and that was it."

His 20 Tests, then a gold standard, included the 1982 'Invincibles' tour, while the first ever State of Origin fixture in 1980 was another highlight in a career that naturally ended up in the game's most prestigious hall.

"It's a humbling experience, I never expected it," Young said.

"I don't think about those things, I'm more focused on tomorrow than yesterday, but it does make you reflect which is good because you start to realise what your teammates and coaches did for you.

"It's a nice thought to be put in that sort of category but it's a team sport and, while these individual accolades are nice, it's really a reflection on my teammates over a long period of time who helped me achieve what I did."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6333319/a-hall-of-fame-career-that-almost-wasnt/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Is Paul McGregor in danger?

Jacks

Roar Guru
5th August, 2018

paul-mcgregor-415x285.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor needs to shake his team selections up. (AAP Image/Michael Chambers)
It seems a silly question to be asking. Is the coach of the team running fourth in danger of losing his job this season?

In a normal time at most clubs the answer would of course be ‘hell no’. But McGregor and his Dragons feel different. After starting the year on fire and blowing away all competition, they have come very much back to the pack.

This seems to be following the pattern of last year where the Dragons were unbeatable until an injury to Gareth Widdop on Anzac Day against the Roosters seemed to halt any momentum on their season. They went on to miss the finals after losing to Dogs outfit with nothing to play for in Round 26.

That loss allowed the Cowboys a chance to make an unlikely run to the grand final and raised serious questions about the Dragons – and in particular about McGregor.

paul-mcgregor-tall.jpg

(AAP Image/Michael Chambers)

While this season is far from over the last two losses for the Dragons against the Roosters and Warriors is starting to bring up past memories. Are the wheels starting to wobble? The Warriors game must have been a real concern as the Dragons seemed to lack any sense of urgency and had very little idea in attack.

Gareth Widdop – the man who at stages of the year looked like the best player in the game – looked like a half who could not take the right no matter what.

If the Dragons season does fall away to a failed and wasted season does the board take action? Can McGregor survive with two very similar fade outs on his resume? McGregor owns this team. He has handled recruitment and the development for a number of years so all results or lack of results falls at his feet.

Might the St George Illawara board look at a Geoff Toovey or ask if Trent Barret wants to return to where he started? Maybe Michael Maguire wants another shot at a first grade job.

Or the Dragons might feel brave and give Des Hasler or even Wayne Bennett a call. Maybe they will do all league fans a favour and let the Walker brothers have a shot, giving them control of players like Matt Dufty, Widdop, Ben Hunt and Paul Vaughan.

While this season has a long way to go, McGregor maybe under a great deal more pressure then most coaches fighting for a top four spot.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/06/paul-mcgregor-danger/

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes wins NRL Tackle of the Week for Round 22
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Wed 21 Aug 2019, 03:04 PM

Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes is the deserving winner of the Tackle of the Week for Round 22 of the Telstra Premiership.

The manner in which McInnes was able to stop flying Sharks centre Bronson Xerri and then prevent him from getting the ball down in the in-goal area was the highpoint of the day for St George Illawarra.

McInnes wasn't the only nominee to have prevented a try with a last-ditch effort. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (Warriors) and James Tedesco (Roosters) did likewise, while the big hit from Braden Hamlin-Uele on Korbin Sims rounded out the finalists.

Tackle of the Week
Choose the best effort from Round 22

Tackle of the Week Choose the best effort from Round 22
  • A: Braden Hamlin-Uele
    15%
  • B: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
    22%
  • C: Cameron McInnes
    53%
  • D: James Tedesco
    10%
3,275 Votes

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/21/mcinnes-wins-nrl-tackle-of-the-week-for-round-22/

getsmarty

Immortal
The ‘dream job’ Craig Fitzgibbon is likely to eye after turning down Knights
Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
August 21, 2019 5:34pm
Craig Fitzgibbon ruled himself out of contention for the Newcastle head coaching role because he’s likely got another in his sights.

That’s according to NRL 360 host Paul Kent who told The Matty Johns Podcast that the former Sydney Roosters legend is “the next cab off the rank” when it comes to NRL coaches in waiting.

When the Knights announced that coach Nathan Brown would be leaving the club at the end of 2019, Fitzgibbon was immediately regarded as one of the top contenders, along with Adam O’Brien and Jason Ryles.

similars

“We’ve seen coaches in the past — Michael Maguire was one — where as soon as the next job’s available, he’s the guy that’s going to get it,” Kent said.

“I think Fitzy’s in that position at the moment. There are very good raps on what he did with the Blues this year.”

Fitzgibbon is an Illawarra junior who still lives on the South Coast in Austinmer and travels up for Roosters training sessions where he’s the defensive coach.

Kent believes that the St George Illawarra job would be Fitzgibbon’s dream role.

“Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor) is under increasing pressure and has to have a good season next year,” Kent said.

b655088e785fad28948723319a8a7c1d

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under increasing pressure.
“Fitzy has only just shaken hands — he hasn’t signed the contract — but he shook hands with Nick Politis for a three-year extension.

“The Roosters will let him go for a head role, but I don’t think he’s interested in the Knights.

“He’s a bit like Craig Bellamy who was the next coach ready to go from an assistant into a head coaching role.

“Craig Bellamy actually knocked back Wests Tigers, went for the Canberra job, missed it to their eternal regret, but then took the Melbourne job.

“Craig Bellamy had the ability and strength to be able to knock back jobs and say I’m going to find the club that’s right for me. I remember at the time he was very vocal about making sure he got into the right club.”

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...s/news-story/0476bbd5915bd81861ed14fe22e8f872

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons statement: Jack de Belin
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 22 Aug 2019, 10:21 AM

Jack de Belin has made the decision to discontinue his appeal process against the judgement of her Honour Justice Perry in his case against the Australian Rugby League's 'No-fault' stand down policy that was scheduled to take place in the Federal Court today.

De Belin made the decision to discontinue proceedings as a direct result of the determination early this week of the commencement of his criminal trial in the District Court on March 2, 2020, which is prior to the start of the 2020 NRL season, and given the likelihood that the outcome of the Federal Court appeal would not be finalised until after the completion of the Dragons' 2019 season.

De Belin maintains that the NRL's stand down rule operates as an unlawful restraint of trade and is contrary to his presumption of innocence.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/22/dragons-statement-jack-de-belin/

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor and Rod Wishart shield boosts junior Rugby League
Dragons TV recently caught up with NRL Game Development, as well as Staff, Parents and Students at the recent finals of the Paul McGregor and Rod Wishart Finals Day. The event was a culmination of 10 gala days during terms 1 and 2 which saw over 2,600 boys and girls take to the field in both Rugby League and League Tag across our region.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...od-wishart-shield-boosts-junior-rugby-league/

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin withdraws appeal, ends stand-off with NRL
Dragons Den
r0_0_3540_2360_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WITHDRAWN: Jack de Belin, pictured outside Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday, has withdrawn his appeal against the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy. Picture: Sylvia Liber.
DRAGONS forward Jack de Belin has withdrawn his appeal against the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy, ensuring he remains stood down pending the outcome of his criminal case.

De Belin and co-accused Callan Sinclair appeared in Wollongong District Court on Tuesday morning where Acting Judge Paul Conlon set a starting date of March 2 next year for for their trial on aggravated sexual assault charges.

It will see the trial, that's expected to last two weeks, begin just 10 days prior to the start of the 2020 NRL season and before the Federal Court appeal process would have concluded.

De Belin and Sinclair have pleaded not guilty to the charges stemming from an alleged incident in a Wollongong apartment last December.

Read more: Dragons player Jack de Belin hit with upgraded rape charge

De Belin was stood down by the NRL in February after his first court appearance, becoming the first player sanctioned under the game's new 'no-fault' stand-down policy.

The policy stipulates that players facing serious charges - carrying 11 years imprisonment or more - will be automatically stood-down from playing until their court process has concluded.

De Belin failed in his first legal challenge of the no-fault policy in the Federal Court in May, with the court ruling in the NRL's favour.

He subsequently launched an appeal that was withdrawn on Thursday, a move welcomed by the NRL who've worn criticism from the Rugby League Players Association that claims the policy undermines the presumption of innocence in criminal matters.

"The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and the National Rugby League (NRL) welcome the withdrawal by Jack de Belin of his appeal concerning the NRL's no-fault stand down rule," The NRL said in a statement.

"The NRL's no-fault stand down rule introduced in March 2019 and confirmed by the Federal Court in May continues to apply.

"The Commission and the NRL take very seriously our responsibility to protect the reputation of the Game and its stakeholders.

"We have always held the view that the no-fault stand down rule is in the best interests of the game and are pleased that the legal challenge to this rule has now been concluded.

"We continue to work with the Club to monitor the welfare of Mr de Belin."

The RLPA has signalled it's intention to continue it's fight against the policy, releasing a statement soon after the NRL on Thursday.

"The agreement is in Jack's interests and we understand the reasons for this," it read.

"The RLPA remains of the view that the NRL's stand down rule has been introduced in breach of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

"The RLPA also remains of the view that the stand down rule operates as an invalid and unreasonable restraint of trade, and will continue to address this with the NRL together with other issues through the CBA dispute process.

"The RLPA understands the pressure the recent alleged integrity issues placed on our game.

"However, it is important that under a partnership model the parties to the CBA work together in finding joint solutions to address challenges of this nature.

"The CBA dispute is critical to our members to ensure the role of their collective representative is not undermined and that the arrangements secured under the CBA are protected."

The Dragons also released a statement addressing the matter, saying de Belin's decision to withdraw the appeal was in response to the trial date coming prior to the start of the 2020 season.

"Jack de Belin has made the decision to discontinue his appeal process against the judgement of her Honour Justice Perry in his case against the Australian Rugby League's 'No-fault' stand down policy that was scheduled to take place in the Federal Court today," the statement read.

"De Belin made the decision to discontinue proceedings as a direct result of the determination early this week of the commencement of his criminal trial in the District Court on March 2, 2020, which is prior to the start of the 2020 NRL season, and given the likelihood that the outcome of the Federal Court appeal would not be finalised until after the completion of the Dragons' 2019 season.

"De Belin maintains that the NRL's stand down rule operates as an unlawful restraint of trade and is contrary to his presumption of innocence."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...draws-appeal-ends-stand-off-with-nrl/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-sailorw-1gp_4102.jpg

DRAGONS

Sailor offers hope for the future after heavy loss to Roosters
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 24 Aug 2019, 11:53 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has confirmed that Tristan Sailor was being considered for the vacant fullback role next season after an impressive debut against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night.

Sailor, who is poised to sign a contract extension with the Dragons, provided hope for the future on an otherwise dismal night for the club at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium as they succumbed 34-12 to the Roosters.

The 21-year-old, whose famous father Wendell finished his glittering career in the Red V a decade ago, scored a try and ran for 152 metres after being called up for his NRL debut when Ben Hunt failed a HIA following a concussion in last weekend’s match against Cronulla.

With a full off-season as a member of the Dragons' top 30 squad, McGregor expects him to bulk up and be ready for more first-grade action in 2020.

“He scored a try, he had a couple of nice touches and he tried to get involved in the game. He made a couple of errors but I thought he made a really sound debut so I thought he was good,” McGregor said.

“Tristan is obviously very strong in the gym and very fit but he is still very young so he has got to develop around his game in a few areas.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Roosters

“Another pre-season of trying to thicken him up a bit more and he might grow a little bit but he does all the right things at training to give himself the best opportunity in the game.”

Captain Gareth Widdop’s return to England will ensure a spot is available in the spine next season and Sailor is likely to compete with Zac Lomax for the No.1 jersey.

However, he can also play a number of other backline positions and could be an ideal No.14.

“Tristan’s career is quite bright, even though he is young because he can play multiple positions as well,” McGregor said.

“He can play a little bit of five-eighth, he can play in the centres, he can play on the wing so he has got that utility value as an outside back so he just needs a bit more education around that.”

With Hunt likely to return next week it is unclear whether Sailor will retain his place for the match against Wests Tigers at the SCG but McGregor expects whoever plays to do better than the Dragons did on Saturday night.

Trailing 28-0 at half-time, they fought back in the second half to score tries through Sailor and Luciano Leilua but the game was well and truly gone before then.

Another Sailor scoring in the famous Red V

“We had no intent in our defence, it was pretty simple,” McGregor said of the first-half effort.

“You have got to have a bit more want than that. At different stages we had four in a tackle and they were standing, playing the ball quick, we weren’t getting on side, we weren’t adjusting, we weren’t travelling in numbers to get forward hard.

"Our one-on-one stops at the end of the shifts weren’t good enough so our first 40 minutes was nowhere near to a standard that we can accept and obviously the second 40 was a bit of scoreboard stuff.”

The fact the Dragons had pushed the Sharks (18-12), Parramatta (12-4) and Rabbitohs (20-16) and downed the Titans during the past month, made the lacklustre first half even more galling for McGregor.

“The last three losses we were fighting for a win up until the last five minutes but we were never in the game tonight,” he said. “It was nowhere near good enough.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...-for-the-future-after-heavy-loss-to-roosters/

getsmarty

Immortal
Mary must fall on his sword
I’m going to try and write this point from a completely neutral perspective, which is going to be difficult, because, at the core of things, I’m a frustrated Dragons fan.

Advertisement
But objectively, Paul McGregor must fall on his sword this week.

He should not still be at the helm of the club come 2020, and he shouldn’t be at the club on Monday morning following what was a trainwreck of a performance against the Roosters.

Down 28-0 at halftime, the Dragons players looked like they would prefer to be anywhere else. It’s the first time I can remember feeling happy about having other commitments which stopped me from watching the Red V, and I sure won’t be chasing up a replay like I do with just about every other game I miss live.

It was abysmal. To run out at Kogarah, the home, and beating heart of a proud club with so much history, wearing the once mighty Red V and put in a performance like that is just not on.

What makes it even more frustrating for Dragons fans is that the roster is not that bad. It’s littered with Origin players, representative players, and players who have just flat out underperformed all season.

Take nothing away from the Roosters, because they are building for a tilt at another premiership, and looking infinitely better than they did at the same point last year in doing so, but the Dragons are just not good enough.

They don’t want to play for their coach, and while there are more problems than McGregor at the club, there is a reason Wayne Bennett didn’t want the proud Illawarra man on his staff during his stint at the club.

As the same proud Illawarra man watching his club fall into the bottom four after wasted runs in the last two season, it’s time for him to disappear into the background once again, with the entire club needing a cleanout before 2020 becomes a waste of time as well.

Advertisement
Paul-McGregor.jpg

(Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/08/25/eight-talking-points-from-nrl-round-23/

Dragsters

First Grade
I’m going to try and write this point from a completely neutral perspective, which is going to be difficult, because, at the core of things, I’m a frustrated Dragons fan.

Advertisement

He should not still be at the helm of the club come 2020, and he shouldn’t be at the club on Monday morning following what was a trainwreck of a performance against the Roosters.

Down 28-0 at halftime, the Dragons players looked like they would prefer to be anywhere else. It’s the first time I can remember feeling happy about having other commitments which stopped me from watching the Red V, and I sure won’t be chasing up a replay like I do with just about every other game I miss live.

It was abysmal. To run out at Kogarah, the home, and beating heart of a proud club with so much history, wearing the once mighty Red V and put in a performance like that is just not on.

What makes it even more frustrating for Dragons fans is that the roster is not that bad. It’s littered with Origin players, representative players, and players who have just flat out underperformed all season.

Take nothing away from the Roosters, because they are building for a tilt at another premiership, and looking infinitely better than they did at the same point last year in doing so, but the Dragons are just not good enough.

They don’t want to play for their coach, and while there are more problems than McGregor at the club, there is a reason Wayne Bennett didn’t want the proud Illawarra man on his staff during his stint at the club.

As the same proud Illawarra man watching his club fall into the bottom four after wasted runs in the last two season, it’s time for him to disappear into the background once again, with the entire club needing a cleanout before 2020 becomes a waste of time as well.

Advertisement
Paul-McGregor.jpg

While reading this I was really hoping at the end to see it was written by Andrew Webster or Roy Masters...

Forster Dragon

Juniors

Advertisement

Advertisement
Paul-McGregor.jpg

How true this is.Any self respecting professional would see the writing on the wall and resign

getsmarty

Immortal
Sailor throws hat in the long-term fullback ring
Dragons Den
r0_0_4372_3631_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON: Tristan Sailor with dad, and dual-International, Wendell Sailor following his NRL debut against the Roosters on Saturday. Picture: NRL Photos

DRAGONS rookie Tristan Sailor has made plain his intention to re-sign with the club claim for the No. 1 jumper next season after an impressive NRL debut on Saturday night.

Saturday's clash with the Roosters proved a baptism of fire for the 21-year-old, with the defending premiers producing a 28-0 first half blitz.

It put the result to bed by halftime but Sailor was one of the lone bright spots for coach Paul McGregor, grabbing his side's first try midway through the second half and never looking out of place in the top grade.

Having been a regular as 18th man for the best part of 10 rounds on the back of solid form in the Canterbury Cup, Sailor was happy to be thrown in the deep end.

"I always say everything happens for a reason and I've waited a bit for the debut but it came I got to play 80 minutes in my preferred position," Sailor said.

"I found out [I was playing] on Tuesday but Mary said he was naming me 18th man just to keep the media and some of the external pressures off me.

"Either way would've been fine, I'm used to it by now. I've learned to block [the attention] out pretty well, but it was good to just train without an external pressures and just focus on the game."

"I just wanted try and get runs, make my tackles and do it all hard and with intent. We didn't get much ball in the first half but towards the second half I got a few more runs which was good."

Read more:Dragons thumped by red-hot Roosters

It was a debut he wasn't sure he'd get to make this season as the rounds went by but Sailor said coming up against the premiers was the ideal first start.

"I didn't really think about [debuting] at all until I was 18th man for the [round 16] Storm game earlier in the year," he said.

"From there it gave me the confidence that I belong here. I played two games of [Canterbury] Cup last year and felt like I was a boy against men.

"The really strong preseason I had in the gym getting fit and having the whole year in Cup has been good. I've just been patient being that 18th man and focusing on my game in Cup and I was lucky enough to get the debut.

Breezing past the game's premier No. 1 in James Tedesco for his first ever four-pointer was an added bonus.

"To verse the best fullback in the world was really good because it's better to start with the best I think," Sailor said.

"I went through and he was coming across and I managed to step back [past him]. He tried to hit the ball out, I thought he was going to get it, but it was a really good feeling to get that try."

It may prove a one-off, with Ben Hunt set to return from concussion against the Tigers next weekend. It will likely see Corey Norman shift back to fullback.

The picture will look a whole loft different next season, with Gareth Widdop departing for the Super League and Matt Dufty reportedly on the outer.

Currently off-contract, Sailor expects to pen a new deal with the club and will set his sights on claiming the No. 1 jumper fulltime next season.

"I'm off contract at the moment but they have offered me a contract so I'm most likely going to re-sign there," he said.

"I don't know what'll happen [next week] because Ben Hunt will be back so whether I play first grade or not. We've got Canterbury Cup and hopefully we can go through to the grand final.

"I'll focus on that and then I just want to have another really strong preseason and stake my claim for that No. 1 spot if I can.

"Its just about me just focusing on all my performance stuff, continually training well, and hopefully I get rewarded with a spot."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...s-hat-in-the-long-term-fullback-ring/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Tristan Sailor could become Dragons fullback for 2020 NRL season
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_1676_1117_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Bright spark: The Dragons handed an NRL debut to Tristan Sailor against the Roosters at Kogarah. Picture: AAP Image
    Paul McGregor believes Tristan Sailor could start the 2020 season wearing St George Illawarra's No.1 jersey.

The 21-year-old son of former Australia and Queensland star Wendell Sailor made his NRL debut for the Dragons in their drubbing at the hands of the Sydney Roosters at Kogarah on Saturday night.

Sailor was one of the few bright sparks to come out of the heavy defeat, scoring a try and showing glimpses of his ability in a badly beaten side.

With St George Illawarra's season all but over, McGregor may elect to give Sailor more time to find his feet in the top grade during the Dragons' final two matches of the campaign.

St George Illawarra host the finals-chasing Wests Tigers at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday before finishing their season on the Gold Coast against the Titans.

Sailor earned his call up to first grade after Ben Hunt failed to pass a fitness test following his concussion against Cronulla. That saw Corey Norman switch to the halves, with Sailor slotting into the side at fullback.

With captain Gareth Widdop moving on at the end of the season and Matt Dufty seemingly out of favour at the Dragons, McGregor said Sailor "absolutely" could find himself running out as St George Illawarra's fullback in round one next season.

"I thought he was sound. It was good [for him] to get a debut. He scored a try, he had a couple of nice touches, he tried to get involved in the game. [He made] a couple of errors but I thought he made a really sound debut. It was good," McGregor said.

"Tristan is obviously very strong in the gym and very fit. But he's still young so he's just got to develop around his game in a few areas [and give him] another pre-season and really try and thicken him up a little bit and he might grow a bit more.

"He does all the right things at training to give himself the best opportunity in the game. Tristan's career is quite bright even though he's young because he can play multiple positions as well.

"He can play a little bit of six, he can play in the centres and on the wing, so he's got that utility value as an outside back. So we'll just put some more education around that."

The Dragons will need to improve drastically from their effort against the Roosters if they are any chance of ending the Tigers' finals charge at the SCG on Sunday.

"We had no intent in our defence. Pretty simple," McGregor said.

"You've got to have a bit more want than that as well.

"The first 40 minutes was nowhere near to a standard that we can accept.

"And obviously the second [half] was a bit of scoreboard stuff. But the second 40 [minutes] we won 12-6... we were never in the game."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6347997/sailor-could-grab-dragons-no1-jersey/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons blame council for ‘disgraceful’ banner censorship
Dragons
  • August 26, 2019 6:42pm
  • by Staff Writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
cdb1cfa58224addf3789cd35d4ce1118

Dragons fans wave flags at Kogarah OvalSource: Getty Images
Banner-carrying St George Illawarra fans have taken to social media to vent their frustrations that they were denied entry to Kogarah Oval due to messages written on their flags.

Dragons fans waving signs are a staple of the hill at the famous ground.

And their messages were brought into focus recently when supporters unveiled ones which included the phrases “Fail Mary” and “Step down McGregor” at a recent game against Parramatta.

But for Saturday’s loss to the Roosters, some fans claimed they were denied entry into the ground owing to the messages written on their banners, accusing the club of censorship.

“Now the Dragons start not allowing banners into the ground that they don’t agree with? Good thing you can’t silence tweets #FailMary,” one supporter wrote on social media.

“What an absolute shambles of a club, absolutely no respect for their paying members. The signs will make their way up one way or another.”

“Last time I checked we have some form of free speech at least (Peter) Doust didn’t care,” replied one fan.

“More lies and as usual nothing will be done,” said one member.

“You treat us passionate fans without any respect, good luck with the membership drive for 2020 don’t bother calling people who haven’t renewed.

“Save your embarrassment and good luck with this impostor for another two years.”

“It’s a disgraceful way to treat fans,” a fellow supporter added.

The Dragons responded to the aggrieved members on social media, before clarifying that it is not the club who is responsible for what, and who, is allowed into the ground.

Georges River Council manage entry into the stadium, and are supposed to notify the club when they refuse admission to fans. But this did not happen on Saturday.

A brief statement was issued in which it said: “Stadium management considered the content of the banners to be derogatory and inflammatory and denied entry of the banners in the interests of the client and public order, in accordance with the conditions of entry at the venue.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/031115e99035b966d452d132258bd998

Qapm

Juniors

Latest posts