What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

DUB888

Juniors
The Mole: Dragons vs fans hits boiling point as Paul McGregor banner gets barred

Feelings between the under-performing Dragons and their fans have reached boiling point, after a disgruntled supporter was not allowed to take a banner criticising coach Paul McGregor into Kogarah Oval last weekend.

Fans have vented their fury on social media after life-long Dragons fan George Youssif, of Campsie, was barred from entering the ground before a big loss to the Roosters with a banner saying: 'Step down McGregor'.

Security guards stopped Youssif and his eight-year-old son at the gate, saying that they could enter - but only if they ditched the banner.

"They radioed someone and then banned me taking in the banner," Youssif told Wide World of Sports.

"Free speech is dead … we just turned around and went home and my son was shattered. How do I explain to him why we couldn't go to watch his heroes?

"I have cancelled my membership of the club and I know plenty of other people who have done the same. The club is in shambles.

"I have received massive support from lots of other fans who are all asking why I couldn't take my banner in. The fans are angry."

Security guards told Youssif that banners had to be registered to be brought into the ground

"But that is rubbish - I've been taking banners into the ground since I was a kid and this is the first time this has happened," Youssif said.

The Dragons responded to Youssif's angry social media post about the incident, claiming they had always had a banner registration policy - which several fans have refuted.

"It's complete lies," Youssif said.

Fellow Dragons fan Peter Trad backed up Youssif's claims.

"There has never been a banner registrating policy - the club is making things up," Trad said.

Venue management provided the following statement when contacted by the Dragons about the non-entry on Saturday: "Stadium management considered the content of the banners to be derogatory and inflammatory and denied entry of the banners in the interests of the client and public order, in accordance with the conditions of entry at the venue."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...mcgregor/b5eef955-9c7c-4bfd-8775-a18f6c253cf3

Qapm

Juniors
The Mole: Dragons vs fans hits boiling point as Paul McGregor banner gets barred

Feelings between the under-performing Dragons and their fans have reached boiling point, after a disgruntled supporter was not allowed to take a banner criticising coach Paul McGregor into Kogarah Oval last weekend.

Security guards stopped Youssif and his eight-year-old son at the gate, saying that they could enter - but only if they ditched the banner.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...mcgregor/b5eef955-9c7c-4bfd-8775-a18f6c253cf3

God bless you Youssif.

Idea for the 2020 season is if you bring a resistance banner and you get banned, just walk back and post it outside or post it on the road. Take a couple of photos and post on social media. Place your banner on Princess Hwy and ga-run-friggen-ti you that more people will see it than in the stands.

Slackboy72

Coach
Didn't we (members) get a letter saying banners had to be registered at the start of the year? I'm pretty sure Youssif and Trad are talking out there arse on that point.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-crowd-180909707-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons policy on game day banner registration
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 27 Aug 2019, 04:27 PM

A reminder to all St George Illawarra Dragons members and fans that the club has had a banner and flag registration policy for several years in name of assisting ease of entry to supporters on match days.

We currently have 24 banners or flags registered as a result of this policy; the process as found in the venue information page on our website is as follows:

• Poles (including metal flag poles), sticks or oversized flags/banners (1.5m x 1m with flagpoles over 1.4m), including 'selfie sticks' are not permitted into the venue unless otherwise pre-registered with the club.
  • To register a banner, it's encouraged to contact redv@dragons.com.auwith the dimensions and wording at least one week prior to the game.
  • We ask spectators to be mindful that large flags and banners may restrict other spectators' viewing capabilities. Flags and banners cannot be hung from fences and cannot obstruct signage.
The club was made aware after the Dragons' Round 23 clash against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday night that a non-member was not permitted entry into Netstrata Jubilee Stadium with their banner.

Netstrata Jubilee Stadium is owned and managed by Georges River Council. Council management made the decision, in isolation, to not permit entry without consulting the Dragons.

The club have had regular discussions with Netstrata Jubilee management about banners and there is a process in place to notify the club before any refusal. Georges River Council acted outside of this process.

When the club contacted venue management after the game, Georges River Council provided the following response: "Stadium management considered the content of the banners to be derogatory and inflammatory and denied entry of the banners in the interests of the client and public order, in accordance with the Conditions of Entry at the venue."

The purpose of the banner registration process, which many other NRL clubs also have, is to avoid situations such as the one that occurred on Saturday.

Had the Dragons been made aware of the circumstances on Saturday by Georges River Council, as is the agreed process, the banner would have been permitted entry.

The St George Illawarra Dragons refute any suggestions of involvement in the decision or censorship, and would encourage all supporters intending to bring banners to future games to utilise the banner registration policy that's in place.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/27/dragons-policy-on-game-day-banner-registration/

Paddles

Juniors
Didn't we (members) get a letter saying banners had to be registered at the start of the year? I'm pretty sure Youssif and Trad are talking out there arse on that point.
But they got into the previous match with the banners. Clearly this rule or policy is selectively applied.

The club even confirms this in their embarrassing press release saying that if the council had ‘made them aware of the circumstances...the banner would have been permitted entry’.

thebigredv

First Grade
Said I wouldn't be back until Mary's gone but had to interject here. Look at the back-pedalling from the measly club now hahahaha - the establishment is crumbling.

AS IF the Dragons club didn't censor that. They just didn't think the fans would be heard. Thought it could be swept under the rug like all their other inadequacies and indiscretions. But we are being heard and their last days in office, in charge of our team, are going to be spent in desperation, turning on each other until they all implode, never to be hired again.

Youssif - you are the voice piece of the fans. We can only be silenced so long.

This pathetic management wouldn't respond to one of my pleas to address the coaching problem, including the day of his extension and in the days preceding. They messed up and as usual just want to pretend everything's sweet.

McGregor, your days are numbered. Should have done what was in the interest of the club. Look at Hong Kong - tyranny will not be tolerated by the people, not after all this time.

True_Believer

Juniors
Quite possibly the stupidest comment in the whole post - "How do I explain to him why we couldn't go to watch his heroes?"

How about you tell him the truth? That taking a banner into the game was more important than watching the game with your child?

Fans have vented their fury on social media after life-long Dragons fan George Youssif, of Campsie, was barred from entering the ground before a big loss to the Roosters with a banner saying: 'Step down McGregor'.

"They radioed someone and then banned me taking in the banner," Youssif told Wide World of Sports.

"Free speech is dead … we just turned around and went home and my son was shattered. How do I explain to him why we couldn't go to watch his heroes?

"I have cancelled my membership of the club and I know plenty of other people who have done the same. The club is in shambles.

"I have received massive support from lots of other fans who are all asking why I couldn't take my banner in. The fans are angry."

Security guards told Youssif that banners had to be registered to be brought into the ground

"But that is rubbish - I've been taking banners into the ground since I was a kid and this is the first time this has happened," Youssif said.

The Dragons responded to Youssif's angry social media post about the incident, claiming they had always had a banner registration policy - which several fans have refuted.

"It's complete lies," Youssif said.

Fellow Dragons fan Peter Trad backed up Youssif's claims.

"There has never been a banner registrating policy - the club is making things up," Trad said.

Venue management provided the following statement when contacted by the Dragons about the non-entry on Saturday: "Stadium management considered the content of the banners to be derogatory and inflammatory and denied entry of the banners in the interests of the client and public order, in accordance with the conditions of entry at the venue."

"STEP DOWN MCGREGOR" inflammatory?
Who are they kidding?

getsmarty

Immortal
dg1_1030.jpg

CLUB NEWS

St.George Bank announces two-year Dragons partnership extension
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 30 Aug 2019, 10:24 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons and St.George Bank have unveiled a further two-year extension as a major partner to the Dragons' NRL and Women's Premiership teams.

Championing both the women's and men's squad for a further two years, St George Illawarra and St.George Bank have one of the longest unbroken sponsorship partnerships in Australian sport, spanning four decades and a growing investment in women’s league.

The two iconic brands have a rich heritage across Southern Sydney and the Illawarra, known for being committed to grassroots footy and providing support to local communities.

St.George Bank’s partnership with the Dragons was forged 40 years ago to support and embed rugby league into the heart of southern Sydney.

Cathy Yuncken, General Manager for St.George Private, said the partnership is equally important because it is focused on supporting the women’s league, and helping shape the future and acceleration of women’s sport in Australia.

"Our two organisations are absolutely focused on championing grassroots sport, diversity, and equality.

"By extending our partnership beyond the men’s to the women’s squad we aim to build momentum and recognition for the women’s team as well as increase participation for women’s and girls’ sport in the community more broadly.

"It is hard to aspire to be what you can’t see, and for young women and girls across the St.George and Illawarra regions and beyond, the Dragons NRLW squad and its phenomenal female players will inspire future generations of female players and fans. We are so proud to be a part of this.”

Ross Miller, General Manager for St.George Bank, said the brand is focused on growing participation in sport, being a brand that now supports three codes across Australia.

"Corporate Australia can have a driving influence on promoting sport, health, and well-being in our community, and creating pathways for women in sport is of significant importance to us."

Dragons CEO Brian Johnston said the club was delighted to see St.George Bank extend their long-term partnership; a continuum of commitment that has allowed for growth and opportunities of mutual benefit between the Dragons and St.George Bank.

"The Dragons are very proud of our history and partnership with St.George Bank over the past 40 years and are delighted to be continuing our association for a further two years,” said Johnston.

"We are very appreciative of St.George Bank's collaboration and support, their shared values and the continued backing of both the NRL and Women's Premiership teams as well as the grassroots and community programs."

The Dragons are one of four teams participating in the NRL Holden Women's Premiership along with the Brisbane Broncos, Sydney Roosters and New Zealand Warriors. The Women's Premiership will begin the first weekend in September in conjunction with the NRL finals series.

dg1_0943.jpg

(L-R) General Manager St.George Business Bank Stuart Zalunardo, Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop, General Manger St.George Private Wealth Cathy Yuncken, General Manager for St.George Bank Ross Miller, NRL Women's Premiership player Kezie Apps and Happy Dragon celebrate the announcement.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/30/st.george-bank-announces-two-year-partnership-extension/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons sponsor sticks solid despite season from hell
Christian Nicolussi
August 29, 2019 — 8.57pm
  • Send via Email

The Jack de Belin court case and a forgettable season on the field have not been enough to scare away St George Illawarra’s longest-serving sponsor, St George Bank, who recommitted for a further two years last night.

The news came as a rare positive in what has been a year to forget for Paul McGregor’s side, with the deal for St George to continue as the front-of-jersey sponsor worth around $2 million to the club.

4e197cd55be11c63c22562acea71c500bed3f052

Jack de Belin has dropped his fight against the NRL's 'no-fault' stand-down rule.Credit:Sylvia Liber

De Belin became the first player rubbed out under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy after being charged with aggravated sexual assault. The NSW forward unsuccessfully challenged the policy in the Federal Court in May, and only withdrew his appeal last week.

De Belin will stand trial in March, two weeks before the start of the 2020 season. The Dragons have stood by the player since the accusations were first levelled at him before Christmas – and also kept St George Bank up to speed with every development.

The Dragons have struggled on the field in De Belin’s absence and sit second bottom on the ladder, but the poor on-field results were never going to be enough to end a partnership that has spanned more than 40 years, Dragons boss Brian Johnston said.

‘‘We go through the good and the bad together and they’ve been very supportive of us during all times,’’ Johnston said.

When asked if the de Belin charges may have impacted on major sponsorships moving forward, Johnston told the Herald: ‘‘No. There has to be open communication. And we just kept talking.’’

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie said one of the big reasons for ramming home the stand-down policy was to stop sponsors abandoning the game after enduring what NRL CEO Todd Greenberg described as the ‘‘summer from hell’’.

Player behaviour was at an all-time low during the off-season and cost the game ‘‘north of $10 million’’ in potential sponsors, South Sydney boss Blake Solly told the Herald at the time.

The last time St George Bank announced their sponsorship at the end of 2017, de Belin attended the Kogarah launch and spoke about his Origin aspirations.

Johnston said their main sponsor was not entirely driven by on-field results and also factored in the club’s new women’s team and their work in the community.

‘‘That [poor on-field results] hasn’t been a part of the conversation,’’ Johnston said. ‘‘There’s the community, our women’s team, so it’s not just one area we focus on – it’s the package.’’

Warrington-bound skipper Gareth Widdop said of the sponsorship news: "With all the incidents we've had and all the performances, it shows a lot of faith and loyalty to the club.

"This has certainly been one of my hardest years. I've been fortunate in my career to have had a fair bit of success and not too many injuries. Back in 2010 [at Melbourne] I was a young kid coming through and [the salary-cap sanctions] didn't affect me ads much as the older boys at the time.

"This year with the team we've got, myself picking up major injuries, and knowing I'm leaving and not finishing off and playing finals, it's something that will burn for a long time. I just have to enjoy the next two weeks for what it is, enjoy my teammates and move on.''

Beattie told Fox Sports this week the NRL would have ‘‘withered and died’’ had de Belin’s legal challenge succeeded. ‘‘This game is about growing the women’s game as well as men ... mums still make the decision as to whether their little boy or little girl plays this game.’’

"If they think there is something wrong with it, it’s repulsive in some way because of off-field behaviour, they will not allow their child to play the game. And what does that do? The game withers and dies, it doesn't matter how many superstars you’ve got, if you’re not growing from the bottom up you do not have a game.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...despite-season-from-hell-20190829-p52m6l.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Putting aside that these guys might be getting misquoted, I recall it being much older than that. There are posts in these forums about venues bringing in banner rego from 10 years ago or more. @Cooper-Man from DA made mention of it in 2011. https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/dragon-army-vs-newcastle.379507/#post-7262351

getsmarty

Immortal
wheelerh-1gp_0855.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Loyalty runs deep for Wheeler in return to Dragons
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 1 Sep 2019, 11:01 AM

Holli Wheeler could've taken the easy way out and added her name to the large player turnover statistic that has surfaced ahead of the 2019 NRL Holden Women's Premiership season.

The St George Illawarra forward had a fair case, too.

Wheeler drove from Newcastle to Wollongong with Hunter-based team-mates Hannah Southwell and Mel Howard last season but that pair have since joined the Roosters, leaving the Jillaroos forward with some thinking to do.

A chat with CRL Newcastle and now Sydney Roosters coach Rick Stone, who coached Wheeler during their NSW premiership victory, wasn't enough to convince her to shun the club who gave her a start in 2018.

"Stoney wanted to keep the nucleus of the Newcastle team and put us through the Roosters system," Wheeler told NRL.com.

"But I've grown up with my brothers and dad all playing for one club. Coming through the grades I've always known loyalty.

grayt-wheelerh-1gp_6378.jpg

Kezie Apps and Holli Wheeler celebrate the Blues' Origin win. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"The Dragons gave me a crack last year and I owe them that. It's the least I can do because I've gone on since to play for NSW and the Jillaroos on the back of those games last year.

"Stoney understood where I was coming from and was really cool like that. I thought it might have been a bit awkward if I said no but it was the complete opposite."

Such is the player turnover heading into season two that Wheeler will have 14 new team-mates to develop combinations with over the next six weeks, eight of whom she spent time with in NSW camp in June.

Wheeler is renowned as a fast learner and isn't afraid to ask questions in a team meeting if something isn't right.

"The vibe in camps is awesome and you feel at ease," Wheeler said.

"I like to ask questions, there is a lot of questions on behalf of others, and I don't mind making a fool out of myself."

Once she gets on the paddock, Wheeler is one of the most aggressive players in the game. She conceded the most amount of penalties in last year's NRLW but don't expect that trend to continue.

"Discipline is massive and something I'll work on this year. I'm very competitive growing up with my brothers close in age," she said.

How footy helped Apii on the beat

"Everything we did we were always competing against each other. A game of monopoly usually ended in blood, sweat and tears because one of us couldn't handle losing.

"Everything I do I'm competitive, you're out there to win. I don't go out to play dirty but play hard and walk off the field knowing I did everything to help my team-mates."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/01/loyalty-runs-deep-for-wheeler-in-return-to-dragons/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor confirms serious injury for star hooker Cameron McInnes

56 mins ago

Will Chambers breaks silence on alleged fan punch

Tigers flog Dragons with finals in sight

AAGD7uI.img
© Getty Images
AAGEbh2.img
© Getty Images Cameron McInnes of the Dragons.
It's been a diabolical season for the St George Illawarra Dragons, and now their one shining light Cameron McInnes has suffered a devastating injury in their Round 24 loss to the Wests Tigers.

The Red V were hammered 42-14 by the Tigers at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday afternoon, and with just six minutes to go the hooker was helped from the field by the Dragons trainers.

And in the post-match press conference, coach Paul McGregor confirmed that the rake had broken his leg and will not take part again in 2019.

"Cam’s obviously got to go for an X-ray but diagnosis at the moment is a broken leg," he said.

"He asked the doc how long it’s going to be so he can get back to training. That’s Cam. You want them all like that.

"He’s just gonna go for a scan now, and the rest is unknown because it could heal on it’s own or it might need a screw or a plate.

"He’s obviously out next week but I guess he’ll be back in 12 weeks."

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor says buck must stop with him
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Coach Paul McGregor says the buck stops with him after the Dragons' hugely disappoining NRL season.
    St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor concedes the buck has to stop with him after the Dragons slumped to their eighth loss in nine games on Sunday.

The Dragons conceded five second-half tries to be thrashed 42-14 at the SCG on Sunday, and are now certain to finish 15th - the lowest in the merged club's history.

The club have endured a horror year on and off the field, with the Jack de Belin issue an obvious distraction combined with his year-long absence.

Gareth Widdop has also missed the majority of his farewell year with a shoulder injury, further hurting their chances.

"(I'm) frustrated ... All them (negative) words in one at the moment," McGregor said.

"Because we care so much and we're not seeing the results we want and the performance we need."

Players this week stood up in defence of McGregor, as they claimed the results were not a reflection on him.

But when asked where the blame must fall, McGregor responded: "I'm the coach, so I'm the leader of the club.

"We've all got to take responsibility throughout the club. But I'm the coach."

McGregor was re-signed on a two-year deal earlier this year, however some changes are likely expected on the club's coaching staff.

Ben Hornby, Dean Young and Matt Head are all expected to face scrutiny in an end-of-season-review, however the latter has enjoyed minor premiership success in reserve grade this year.

Sunday's loss was further soured by a suspected broken leg to hooker Cameron McInnes, after he'd been a rare shining light for the club in 2019.

He left the field with just six minutes to play after his leg twisted in a tackle, and now faces a lengthy lay off that could eat into his pre-season.

"He just asked the doc how long it's going to be so he can get back to training. That's Cam, you want them all like that," McGregor said.

"He'll go for a scan now and what's next due to the fact it could heal on its own or might need a screw or a plate. He'l be out next week and probably 12 weeks.

"Six minutes to go and to a player who gives everything and some more. He's been our player of the year by far.

"To come to the second last game of the year and break the leg is not justice, that's for sure."

Australian Associated Press
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6360437/mcgregor-says-buck-must-stop-with-him/?cs=13068