What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron King could become Parramatta’s first choice hooker in 2017
c4a779331d30932372c71fc80dc75f90

James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph
December 31, 2016 5:24pm
c4a779331d30932372c71fc80dc75f90

RUGBY league is full of comeback stories but Cameron King’s is surely one of the most improbable.

The 25-year-old thought his career was over after a series of four horror injuries until, at his lowest point, a late-night phone call from Kyle Stanley inspired him to keep chasing his NRL dream.

Set to become the Parramatta Eels’ first choice hooker this season, King had already been struck down by shoulder and chest injuries when a knee injury ended his 2014 season while attempting to resurrect his career with the Cowboys.

The nephew of Panthers legend Greg Alexander was sitting alone in the dark when he got the phone call from Stanley that convinced him not to give up on his dream.

“Kyle had already had four knee reconstructions,’’ the former Dragon and Cowboy said.

“He was the one that got me through it. I was ready to throw in the towel. And I think I would have if it hadn’t have been for Kyle.’’

6f321a134036952737c8b8a4808ee340

King and Stanley are great mates.

This is the remarkable story of how the rugby league’s unluckiest player helped resurrect the NRL career King started in 2010 when he stormed onto the scene as a 19 year old with the world at his feet.

Stanley heroically came back from four knee reconstructions only to be forced into retirement last year at just 24 when he was tragically struck down by his 5th serious knee injury.

“He spoke to me every night when I was injured,’’ King said.

“There were hundreds of late night calls and texts. He had been through four knee reconstructions and come back from everyone. Every time I felt down I would send him a message or call him and he would get me through.’’

King could be the Eels unlikely saviour this season after bolting into contention to become the club’s first choice hooker.

King spent the season playing NSW Cup last year after recovering from the knee injury that threatened his career.

8c7c102eda6beb4a498f90517cec35d2

King has played just 21 matches since his debut in 2010.
“I came to Parramatta at the start of the season,’’ King said.

“And I was fit and playing well but they couldn’t play me in first grade because of the salary cap. It was one of the hardest years career wise because I was playing well but couldn’t get the opportunity because of the salary cap situation.

“But again Kyle helped me through, as did Brad (Eels coach Brad Arthur), who was really good.

“He kept me in the loop and encouraged me.’’

King’s rugby league history reads like a Stephen King novel.

“First it was my shoulder in 2010 when I was about to get my start with the Dragons,’’ King said.

“I needed surgery so that put me out for most of the season. Nathan Fein broke his ankle at the same time so it was a real missed opportunity.

“I came back for three games and then tore my pectoral (chest muscle) over in England playing in the World Club Challenge.

‘Mitch Rein established himself that year so it was a it made it difficult for me to stay at the Dragons.’’

Next went his shoulder.

“I did my shoulder again in 2013 before signing with the Cowboys,’’ King said.

“I got over that and went on to join North Queensland in 2014. I thought it was all behind me but after a couple of games I did my ACL.’’

And that’s when King was ready to quit.

Enter Stanley.

“He was just so inspirational,’’ King said. “We have been best mates since we were 15 and I have never met a tougher man. What I was going through was nothing compared to what he had copped and he really put it into perspective.’’

King was left shattered when Stanley was forced into retirement last year after suffering a career ending injury while attempting to make his latest comeback playing for the Sharks in a pre-season trial.

Stanley played just 46 games NRL games.

But thanks to King, Stanley’s NRL legacy will continue.

“He will be on the field with me every game I ever play,’’ King said.

“I have made a promise to write his name on my wrist every time I take the field.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...7/news-story/c4a779331d30932372c71fc80dc75f90

Dragsters

First Grade
McGregor: ‘Which our recruits go’
By Greg Prichard
December 28, 2016

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has talked up the potential impact of new signings Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan as part of a Dragons forward pack that will “stand up against any team in the competition”.

“McInnes has come along at the right time,” McGregor says.

“Obviously Robbie (Farah) going to Souths freed up Cam from that club and he had been on the radar at our club for a few years because he was a player the club thought had huge potential.

“He was the under-20s captain of Australia and he played some first grade at a very young age and so it was the right time and right place and we thought Cam is the guy to take us forward in the future.

“Vaughan has added great depth and experience to us. Size, explosive power. Paul’s potential is to go further in the future. He’s at the right age, he has got the right experience behind him and I think he’s reaching the period where his career is going to go further.

“Our forward pack next year is big, strong, powerful and aggressive. They will stand up against any team in the competition and behind that we’ve got a youthful spine and some internationals in the spine as well.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mcgregor-recruits-go/

I'm pretty sure the title of this Greg Pritchard article should read "Watch Our Recruits Go" so I'm guessing the proof-readers at RLW must have been on Xmas leave.

Anyhow, it's a bit of a puff piece from Mary talking up the new Recruits, but what caught my attention was his comments in the last sentence re the spine.

Could he mean...

Internationals = fullback Duges and 5/8 widdop (predictable mary)

Youth = hooker Mcinnes, which leaves halfback???

Could this mean Mann or Nona (not particularly youthful but a rookie) or even Field or Payne are ahead of the aging mccrone in his mind???

We can only hope...

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
McGregor: ‘Which our recruits go’
By Greg Prichard
December 28, 2016

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has talked up the potential impact of new signings Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan as part of a Dragons forward pack that will “stand up against any team in the competition”.

“McInnes has come along at the right time,” McGregor says.

“Obviously Robbie (Farah) going to Souths freed up Cam from that club and he had been on the radar at our club for a few years because he was a player the club thought had huge potential.

“He was the under-20s captain of Australia and he played some first grade at a very young age and so it was the right time and right place and we thought Cam is the guy to take us forward in the future.

“Vaughan has added great depth and experience to us. Size, explosive power. Paul’s potential is to go further in the future. He’s at the right age, he has got the right experience behind him and I think he’s reaching the period where his career is going to go further.

“Our forward pack next year is big, strong, powerful and aggressive. They will stand up against any team in the competition and behind that we’ve got a youthful spine and some internationals in the spine as well.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mcgregor-recruits-go/

I'm pretty sure the title of this Greg Pritchard article should read "Watch Our Recruits Go" so I'm guessing the proof-readers at RLW must have been on Xmas leave.

Anyhow, it's a bit of a puff piece from Mary talking up the new Recruits, but what caught my attention was his comments in the last sentence re the spine.

Could he mean...

Internationals = fullback Duges and 5/8 widdop (predictable mary)

Youth = hooker Mcinnes, which leaves halfback???

Could this mean Mann or Nona (not particularly youthful but a rookie) or even Field or Payne are ahead of the aging mccrone in his mind???

We can only hope...

Hope you're right, but given how Mary thinks it will still be McCrone because he is more youthful than Benji.

getsmarty

Immortal
Garrick: Massive Step-Up
Tue 3rd January, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons National Youth Competition winger Reuben Garrick is optimistic to fulfil several of his intended goals this season.

The Gerringong Lions junior is in the midst of his second first-grade pre-season training program and has hopes it will put him in pole position to make his debut for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup.

Garrick, who sustained a season-ending knee injury midway through the previous campaign, believes this will allow him to continue training with the first-grade squad and help him adapt to the requirements needed to ultimately play in the NRL.

“I have a number of goals as well for next season including getting some time to compete with the Cutters in the NSW Cup,” said Garrick.

“This will hopefully pave the way for me to train further with the first-grade squad throughout the season.

“It’s been a massive step-up from the NYC pre-season but I’ve enjoyed it due it being difficult but ultimately rewarding.

“I’ve noticed it being a massive step-up having to get used to the training loads as the body was finding it hard to adapt in the first few weeks and I was going home very sore.

“I have since slowly adapted to it and enjoying it now more and more each day.

“The knee is great now that I am back to one-hundred percent fitness and I feel really good.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/03/garrick_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Host: Going Through Hell
Mon 2nd January, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Jacob Host has adeptly described the recently completed first phase of pre-season training as ‘hell’.

The local Renown United junior is in the midst of his third first-grade pre-season training program and has noted how much this one differs to past iterations most notably due to the additional running drills it has entailed.

The Club’s 2015 NYC ‘Player of the Year’ admits it has taken a while for the body to adapt to these new requirements but has mentally pushed-on as have the younger members of the training squad.

“I’ve had to go through hell pretty much as there’s a lot more running than what I am used to but I feel like the body has really adapted and matured,” said Host.

“It’s easily been the hardest pre-season I have done in my life and a massive step-up from last season as well.

“The body is definitely feeling it now but I’m ready to kick-on.

“It’s been different with all the different aspects ad interpretations on how we should train.

“It’s definitely increased the load and a way to condition the bodies so that we don’t really feel fatigued when it comes to the game.

“The younger guys have come to me asking what they should expect and I’ve been giving them some tips here and there telling them to rip in as hard as they can.

“The pre-season is a big opportunity to make ourselves better and that’s what I’ve been saying.

“It will really benefit us and make us better players so it’ll be excited how we rock-up when it comes around to trials.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/02/host_.html

monsterkev

Juniors
i would be interested to see how tough our pre season training is compared to brisbane,panthers,sharks etc
just to see if the players are being pushed hard to get their strength and fitness or if it is a bit casual

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
i would be interested to see how tough our pre season training is compared to brisbane,panthers,sharks etc
just to see if the players are being pushed hard to get their strength and fitness or if it is a bit casual

The Storm apparently have "torture" sessions. You'd hope our training was on a par. Except . . .

1. Last season Mike Cooper went on record saying how fit the side was after the preseason. They went on to play the Auckland nines without a win. They lost the charity shield. They had two wins after 6 games and were already looking like shot ducks.
2. The only time I have seen STGI get off to a good season start was under Wayne Bennets coaching. Under Browny, Price and now Mary its been average at best.

Is fitness a factor to our bad season starts? Who knows.

monsterkev

Juniors
The Storm apparently have "torture" sessions. You'd hope our training was on a par. Except . . .

1. Last season Mike Cooper went on record saying how fit the side was after the preseason. They went on to play the Auckland nines without a win. They lost the charity shield. They had two wins after 6 games and were already looking like shot ducks.
2. The only time I have seen STGI get off to a good season start was under Wayne Bennets coaching. Under Browny, Price and now Mary its been average at best.

they have an easier draw early on this season so if they struggle to win at least 5 of their first ten games then we know but i saw a late night program during the last week with mary being interviewed
he reckons he has learn't from last year and now knows what it takes to coach and how much better prepared he is and how the dragons are going to play much more attacking football in 2017
i cant remember what program it was but if i can find it i will post the program on the forum
it sounded like a scripted speech it was painful to listen to

hewi

Bench
Watching the early games last year from memory we would hang in until some way into the second half then they seemed to run out of steam. Either they weren't fit or it was a combination of that plus to much defence cos they couldn't hold the ball!!!

Gareth67

First Grade

You hit the nail on the head with Bennett coaching the team to a good start to the year .
He not only had his fitness and training staff get his players in peak condition , but he also had the ability to get the players in the right frame of mind - get off to a winning start and you will keep getting better as the season goes on .

Everything was done with a positive frame of mind , the man oozed confidence , and that same confidence was lapped up by the players . When mistakes were made he never screamed the house down , like our own Dame Nellie Melba . Once the players had that confidence and knew that they could rely upon their team mates in defence , you had a side that was going to make the play-offs at season end .

But it all starts in the pre-season , being fit and having a coach who will put you in a good mind set , before a ball has been kicked .

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
It
Hope you're right, but given how Mary thinks it will still be McCrone because he is more youthful than Benji.

...so Mary should have said...

and behind that we’ve got a more youthful spine and some internationals in the spine as well.”

Fact is, bar Mcinnes, unless he picks one of the the other 4 then it's the same spine that played last year whenever marshall's hammy went bung.

Scintillating stuff that was...

getsmarty

Immortal
Warwick Departs Dragons
Thu 5th January, 03:03PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that Recruitment Manager David Warwick has tendered his resignation effective immediately.

Warwick made the decision in order to take up an opportunity as Head of Recruitment with Wests Tigers.

“It comes after much thought and with some remorse that I have tendered my resignation,” said Warwick.

“I have been offered an opportunity to further my career overseeing recruitment at Wests Tigers and it was a role I could not knock-back.

“I depart the Dragons though knowing that the Junior Representative program that has been implemented here is in good shape and that the best juniors identified from within our large catchment area have been recruited to the Club.

“Everything is pointing upwards here at the Dragons and the correct structures are in place with the right people overseeing them.”

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has thanked Warwick for the work undertaken during his tenure helping with player recruitment and retention within the Club’s Junior Representative program.

“We are very sad to see Dave depart the Dragons but he has been given a great opportunity which will see him take on more responsibility while also being closer to home,” said Millward.

“He has done great work in his present role contributing towards the identification of many local juniors within our catchment area and recruiting them to our Junior Representative program.

“His departure however will not affect the processes already in place regarding the recruitment and retention of first-grade players here at the Club and he goes with our sincere thanks and best wishes.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/05/warwick_departs_drag.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop: Great To Be Back
Fri 6th January, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Captain Gareth Widdop is glad to be back at training following a busy off-season.

The England International took part in the recent Four Nations tournament in the UK before enjoying some time off over the holiday period.

The entire squad went into camp on Wednesday as they begin phase two of their pre-season training.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/06/widdop_.af_news.html

Drakon

Juniors
Top 50 greatest moments in NYC history: 35-31

31. Matt Dufty's record-breaking exploits

If the Dragons want to arrest their point-scoring woes in the NRL then they simply must turn to Matt Dufty for an attacking spark. The lightweight fullback graduated from the NYC at the end of 2016 as the leading try-scorer in the competition's history with 55 four-pointers from 65 appearances. A member of last season's Holden Cup Team of the Year, Dufty also scored for the Junior Blues in the 2016 Under-20s State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium. The Dragons fullback has no problems setting up tries, but it's his length-of-the-field kick returns, his 20-metre restart quick-tap tries and his flashy footwork that has fans of the Red V dreaming of what might be. With 23 tries and 22 try assists last season, Dufty confirmed his status as one of the best players in NYC history, and must now be considered a strong chance to play NRL in 2017.

http://www.nrl.com/top-50-greatest-...-35-31/tabid/10874/newsid/103109/default.aspx

Hills Dragon

Juniors
Top 50 greatest moments in NYC history: 35-31

31. Matt Dufty's record-breaking exploits

If the Dragons want to arrest their point-scoring woes in the NRL then they simply must turn to Matt Dufty for an attacking spark. The lightweight fullback graduated from the NYC at the end of 2016 as the leading try-scorer in the competition's history with 55 four-pointers from 65 appearances. A member of last season's Holden Cup Team of the Year, Dufty also scored for the Junior Blues in the 2016 Under-20s State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium. The Dragons fullback has no problems setting up tries, but it's his length-of-the-field kick returns, his 20-metre restart quick-tap tries and his flashy footwork that has fans of the Red V dreaming of what might be. With 23 tries and 22 try assists last season, Dufty confirmed his status as one of the best players in NYC history, and must now be considered a strong chance to play NRL in 2017.

http://www.nrl.com/top-50-greatest-...-35-31/tabid/10874/newsid/103109/default.aspx
It seems like a no-brainer that Mary has to find a spot for him in the team, which is why I don't think he will.

monsterkev

Juniors
Put dufty and Mann in the spine and the whole team changes . If McInnes uses one iota more brain power than Mitch rein, then the rest of the team will prosper. If Mary keeps Dugan and mcrone in the spine then it's the same as the last few years.
Mcrone should be mcgone

Latest posts