What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
mann-k---180909_jo_1-1-1.jpg

DRAGONS

The 28 perfect games that prepared Mann for greatest test
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 08:01 AM

Kurt Mann once played 28 consecutive games without making a handling error.

It is the kind of perfection the St George Illawarra five-eighth will be aiming to replicate in the semi-final against South Sydney on Saturday night in what is the greatest test of the 25-year-old's career.

Mann was signed by Melbourne in 2013 with the hope that he could eventually fill Gareth Widdop’s shoes. On Saturday night he will replace the injured Widdop in a showdown with the Rabbitohs.

When the utility, whose preference is to play in the halves, was in Year 12 at St Brendan’s College in Central Queensland, he was under the guidance of his First XIII mentor, Terry Hansen.

A "possession is nine-tenths of the law" type of coach, Hansen scrupulously keep count of how many times his players coughed it up. Next to Mann's name he did not write a digit for an entire season.

"Kurt played fullback for me in 2010 and he didn't drop the ball in 28 games that whole year. Whether it was collecting grubbers, taking bombs or catching dodgy passes he was 100 per cent … and he got plenty thrown at him," Hansen told NRL.com

"I loved that stat and kept records on all my players, and he had a perfect year. I've never had a player do it before and I doubt it will happen again. It's unheard of. He just had terrific hands."

Kurt's the Mann to replace Widdop

Hansen - a schoolboy mentor for decades who coached the likes of Matt Scott, Jake Granville, Corey Oates and Dave Taylor - said the stat revealed Mann's confidence and skill, and he had another story that is legendary in Central Queensland which revealed his courage.

St Brendan's were long odds to beat Ignatius Park College in the biggest game of the year and Hansen said Mann's brave performance gave him confidence he would not shirk his work if the Rabbitohs' trio of Burgess brothers run all night at him.

"My favourite story is when he was in Year 11 and we were playing the Confraternity Shield final in Bundaberg and he was a skinny little centre," Hansen grinned.

"He got splattered by this big Polynesian kid. It put his nose all over his face and blood was squirting everywhere, so my trainer went out, waved his arms and said 'he's done'. Kurt said 'I'm not going off' and I knew there and then I had a real footy player.

"We stuffed his nose with turmeric powder to stop the bleeding, taped him up and he absolutely starred for us, so there is no doubting his courage.

"The Burgess brothers can run at him as much as they like and I know one thing; Kurt won't shirk it. He’ll have a go."

Saturday night will be the fourth time this year St Brendan's College has had two of its former students lining up in the halves together in an NRL game with Ben Hunt also a former league star at the school.

Rabbitohs v Dragons - Semi-Final

"They are both kids from the bush, both have worked hard to get where they are," Hansen said.

Clint Zammitt, now the recruitment boss at the Cowboys, was Mann's manager when he signed with Melbourne from the Knights at the end of 2012.

"If he gets time there I am sure Kurt can develop into a handy half," Zammitt said.

"I knew he would develop as a player and a person at the Storm and there was a pathway for a young half/five-eighth. He got out of his comfort zone and grew up.

"I knew if he got through Melbourne he could get through anything and now now he's such a valuable player to St George Illawarra because he can play anywhere in the back-line."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/15/the-28-perfect-games-that-prepared-kurt-mann-for-greatest-test/

getsmarty

Immortal
kate-haren.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

NRLW late mail: Round 2 v Warriors
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 04:10 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has finalised his team to face the New Zealand Warriors in Round 2 of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

Skipper Sam Bremner has succumbed to a toe injury and will be replaced in the custodian role by Honey Hireme. Hannah Southwell is promoted to the centres with Kate Haren set for her NRLW debut from the interchange.

Talia Atfield is the other player to drop out of the team, and will act as 18th woman.

NRLW team for Round 2 v Warriors

4. Honey Hireme – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by University of Wollongong
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Powerade
15. Hannah Southwell
5. Shakiah Tungai
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by Dincel
7. Raecene McGregor – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
8. Oneata Schwalger
9. Anneka Stephens
14. Holli Wheeler
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Talesha Quinn – sponsored by Anytime Fitness
13. Annette Brander – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
16. Teina Clark
17. Melanie Howard
18. Asipau Mafi
19. Kate Haren

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/15/nrlw-late-mail-round-2-v-warriors/

getsmarty

Immortal
preview-pic_round-w02_warriors-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Warriors: NRLW Round 2 preview
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 04:11 PM

St George Illawarra will treat round two of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership like a do-or-die clash as they host the Warriors at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The Dragons can ill-afford another loss if they want to keep their grand final hopes alive, while the Warriors are chasing back-to-back victories after their impressive 10-4 victory against the Roosters.

Last-start winners the Warriors will travel over to Australia for the second time of potentially four occasions this month and are expected to re-arrange their flight schedule after last week's chaotic travel preparation.

Venue: ANZ Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
Key match-up: Sam Bremner v Apii Nicholls – Both fullbacks starred for their respective sides in the opening round and their sweeping ability will come into play once more on Saturday. Bremner accumulated 11 tackle breaks against the Broncos, while Nicholls was at her roaming best in both attack and defence to prove she's one of the elite fullbacks in rugby league.

For the Dragons to win: They'll need to tighten their goal-line defence after conceding 30 points against the Broncos, but will be better for the run after having no trial game leading into last week's clash. The scoreline probably wasn't a fair reflection of the game for a side who had never played together. Expect a better showing against the Warriors with some game-breakers in their line-up.

NRLW Dragons v Warriors - Round 2

For the Warriors to win: Their defence led them to victory last week and that will be a focus again for Luisa Avaiki's side. The game plan of kicking early in the tackle count worked against the Roosters, but 10 points in attack probably isn't going to be enough for a second week in a row against the Dragons, who are set to improve on last round's effort. The forward pack will need to get on the front foot and allow room for the outside backs to find space.

And another thing: The first 500 Dragons foundation members will receive a free ticket for the clash ahead of Saturday night's double-header, which includes the men's side playing South Sydney in the semi-final clash later in the evening.

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Dragons is number 4 Honey Hireme
    4 1

Fullback for Warriors is number 1 Apii Nicholls
  • Winger for Dragons is number 2 Rikeya Horne
    2 5

Winger for Warriors is number 5 Hilda Mariu
  • Centre for Dragons is number 3 Jessica Sergis
    3 14

Centre for Warriors is number 14 Sarina Clark
  • Centre for Dragons is number 15 Hannah Southwell
    15 2

Centre for Warriors is number 2 Langi Veainu
  • Winger for Dragons is number 5 Shakiah Tungai
    5 21

Winger for Warriors is number 21 Lisa Edwards
  • Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Keeley Davis

Five-Eighth for Warriors is number 6 Laura Mariu
  • Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Raecene McGregor

Halfback for Warriors is number 7 Georgia Hale
Forwards
  • Prop for Dragons is number 8 Oneata Schwalger

Prop for Warriors is number 8 Crystal Tamarua
  • Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Anneka Stephens

Hooker for Warriors is number 9 Krystal Rota
  • Prop for Dragons is number 14 Holli Wheeler
    14 10

Prop for Warriors is number 10 Aieshaleigh Smalley
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Kezie Apps
    11 4

2nd Row for Warriors is number 4 Onjeurlina Leiataua
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Talesha Quinn

2nd Row for Warriors is number 12 Alice Vailea
  • Lock for Dragons is number 13 Annette Brander
    13 18

Lock for Warriors is number 18 Masuisuimatamaalii Tauaua-Pauaraisa
Interchange
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Teina Clark
    16 13

Interchange for Warriors is number 13 Luisa Gago
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Melanie Howard
    17 15

Interchange for Warriors is number 15 Lorina Papali'i
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 18 Asipau Mafi
    18 16

Interchange for Warriors is number 16 Amber Kani
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 19 Kate Haren
    19 20

Interchange for Warriors is number 20 Raquel Anderson-Pitman
Dragons Ins
  • Kate Haren
  • Talesha Quinn
Ins
Warriors Ins
  • Amber Kani
  • Crystal Tamarua
  • Lisa Edwards
  • Raquel Anderson-Pitman
Dragons Outs
  • Asoiva Karpani
  • Sam Bremner
Outs
Warriors Ins
  • Annetta Nuuausala
  • Kahurangi Peters
  • Shontelle Woodman
  • Tanika-Jazz Noble
Using the NRL app? See all the team lists here

Dragons: A big blow for the Dragons with captain Sam Bremner ruled out through injury. Honey Hireme shifts to fullback, while Hannah Southwell has been promoted to start in the centres. Holly Wheeler will start at prop and Kate Haren moves from the reserves to the bench. Talia Atfield was omitted an hour prior to kick-off.

Warriors: The Warriors have made several changes, with Sarina Clark to start at centre after initially being named on the bench. Winger Langi Vaina has been moved from wing to centre, while Lisa Edwards has been promoted to start on the wing. Onjeurlina Leiataua has been dropped to the bench and Sui Tauaua moves from the reserves to starting lock. The new face on the bench is Raquel Anderson. Va'Nessa Molia-Fraser was cut an hour before kick-off.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/11/dragons-v-warriors-nrlw-round-2-preview/

Drag Queen

Bench
mcinness-c180909701-sd.jpg

FEATURE

The most important phone call of McInnes' career
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 04:49 PM

A phone call from Cameron McInnes to Paul McGregor to say he no longer wanted to join St George Illawarra has indirectly led to the proud South Sydney junior captaining the Dragons against the club where he was touted as a future skipper.

McInnes, who will share the captaincy duties with Tyson Frizell in Saturday night's sudden-death semi-final against the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium, had been poised to sign with St George Illawarra for the 2016 season but Souths persuaded him to stay after Issac Luke's shock departure for the Warriors.

It was then that McInnes made what may be the most important phone call of his career, and one that ensured the door was still open at the Dragons when he decided to leave the Rabbitohs the following year.

"I just phoned Mary out of respect because I had only met him once or twice but he is one of the most genuine people I had ever met and he would do anything for anybody," McInnes said.

"I just wanted to call him out of respect and he understood my decision fully and he was really good about it. Then 12 months later I had the opportunity to speak to him again and he was as supportive of me as he was the year before."

McGregor: Souths drama won't change Dragons' focus

After deciding to stay at Souths, he shared the hooking role with Damien Cook in 2016 but the club's decision to sign Robbie Farah at the end of that season prompted the former Junior Kangaroos and Rabbitohs under 20s captain to question his future at Redfern.

He again picked up the phone to McGregor and asked if there was an opportunity in 2017.

The Dragons had been in a contractual stand-off with hooker Mitch Rein and Heath L'Estrange was retiring so McGregor approached the club's director of pathways Ian Millward.

"When we were first looking at signing Cam, we had Mitch and we looked at bringing another hooker in," McGregor said.

"He had done some really good things in under 20s and as a junior, and I just thought he was a special player.

"Then Issac went to the Warriors and he rang me, and said 'I want to stay. It's my junior club'. I appreciated that and I understood. If someone comes through as a junior and there is opportunity at that club you should stay there so I was happy for him to stay there. It is the same with our juniors.

"At the end of 2016, Cam rang me again and said, 'is there a chance I could come now?' The club and Mitch had decided to go different ways and Robbie had turned up at Souths.

"He had been happy to take on Cookie but Souths had decided to bring in a third hooker, who was an experienced one, so Cam said obviously the pathway there was blocked and he wanted to know if there was a pathway for him at our club."

mcinnesc-16032009.jpg

Cameron McInnes playing for South Sydney in 2016. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Coincidentally, Cook - an Illawarra junior - had been in the Dragons' system and he played for the club in 2012 and 2013 before moving to Canterbury and then joining South Sydney in 2016 after Luke left.

Cook started six matches at hooker in 2016 and 10 last year but he has emerged as arguably the most improved player in the game this season and edged McInnes for the NSW No.9 jersey.

"Cam's a really good player, I rate him very highly, especially training alongside him as well, I know how hard he works," Cook said of his friendly rivalry with McInnes.

"We got along really well when he was here [at Souths] and we still do.

"I managed to get the Origin jersey this year but it's sudden-death footy now and being an ex-Bunny, he'll be looking to get the job done over his old team as well. It's always exciting playing against your old team."

McInnes insists he has now moved on and points out Saturday night's semi-final will be his 50th Telstra Premiership appearance for St George Illawarra, whereas he played 39 for the Rabbitohs.

"I am very thankful to Souths for giving me my start and also for allowing me to move on but I will always be in debt to Mary and the Dragons for taking a punt on me," McInnes said.

"I love the club, I am grateful for the opportunity they have given me and the belief that Mary showed in me from the first time I spoke to him made me feel really good. I have so much respect for Mary and I always want to play as hard as I can and do the job for the Dragons each week."

With Gareth Widdop out for the season after disclocating his shoulder in last Sunday's 48-18 elimination final defeat of Brisbane, McInnes and Frizell will share the captaincy role as they did when the English playmaker was absent for the previous three matches.

McInnes, who topped Marist College Pagewood in the 2011 HSC for biology, business studies and advanced English, while attaining Band 6 results for business studies and personal development, health and physical education, had been considered by many at Souths as a future captain.

Rabbitohs v Dragons - Semi-Final

"I remember there was some talk about that, but I was never focused on that," he said. "I was only a young kid trying to play some first-grade footy and it is no different now.

"The leadership role is something I embrace regardless of whether I am captain or not because I want to do the right thing by my team-mates. Having the 'C' next to my name, especially for such a great club, is a huge honour and I am very proud of that."

Despite only being in his second season at the Dragons, McInnes is a member of their four-man leadership group along with Widdop, Frizell and James Graham – and McGregor said he was an obvious choice for the captaincy role.

"With Cam, what you see on the field is pretty much what you see every day. He is hard working and will do anything that is needed for the team so he is easy to coach," McGregor said.

"James just does what he does anyway so he doesn’t need the C next to his name, Tyson is a leader by his inspirational stuff and Cam is a good talker who plays 80 minutes. Cam and Tyson will share the role but when Tyson is off the field Cam is the captain."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...portant-phone-call-of-cameron-mcinnes-career/

Drag Queen

Bench
preview-pic_round-w02_warriors-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Warriors: NRLW Round 2 preview
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 04:11 PM

St George Illawarra will treat round two of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership like a do-or-die clash as they host the Warriors at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The Dragons can ill-afford another loss if they want to keep their grand final hopes alive, while the Warriors are chasing back-to-back victories after their impressive 10-4 victory against the Roosters.

Last-start winners the Warriors will travel over to Australia for the second time of potentially four occasions this month and are expected to re-arrange their flight schedule after last week's chaotic travel preparation.

Venue: ANZ Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
Key match-up: Sam Bremner v Apii Nicholls – Both fullbacks starred for their respective sides in the opening round and their sweeping ability will come into play once more on Saturday. Bremner accumulated 11 tackle breaks against the Broncos, while Nicholls was at her roaming best in both attack and defence to prove she's one of the elite fullbacks in rugby league.

For the Dragons to win: They'll need to tighten their goal-line defence after conceding 30 points against the Broncos, but will be better for the run after having no trial game leading into last week's clash. The scoreline probably wasn't a fair reflection of the game for a side who had never played together. Expect a better showing against the Warriors with some game-breakers in their line-up.

NRLW Dragons v Warriors - Round 2

For the Warriors to win: Their defence led them to victory last week and that will be a focus again for Luisa Avaiki's side. The game plan of kicking early in the tackle count worked against the Roosters, but 10 points in attack probably isn't going to be enough for a second week in a row against the Dragons, who are set to improve on last round's effort. The forward pack will need to get on the front foot and allow room for the outside backs to find space.

And another thing: The first 500 Dragons foundation members will receive a free ticket for the clash ahead of Saturday night's double-header, which includes the men's side playing South Sydney in the semi-final clash later in the evening.

Team Lists
Backs

• Fullback for Dragons is number 4 Honey Hireme
    4 1

Fullback for Warriors is number 1 Apii Nicholls
  • Winger for Dragons is number 2 Rikeya Horne
    2 5

Winger for Warriors is number 5 Hilda Mariu
  • Centre for Dragons is number 3 Jessica Sergis
    3 14

Centre for Warriors is number 14 Sarina Clark
  • Centre for Dragons is number 15 Hannah Southwell
    15 2

Centre for Warriors is number 2 Langi Veainu
  • Winger for Dragons is number 5 Shakiah Tungai
    5 21

Winger for Warriors is number 21 Lisa Edwards
  • Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Keeley Davis

Five-Eighth for Warriors is number 6 Laura Mariu
  • Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Raecene McGregor

Halfback for Warriors is number 7 Georgia Hale
Forwards
  • Prop for Dragons is number 8 Oneata Schwalger

Prop for Warriors is number 8 Crystal Tamarua
  • Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Anneka Stephens

Hooker for Warriors is number 9 Krystal Rota
  • Prop for Dragons is number 14 Holli Wheeler
    14 10

Prop for Warriors is number 10 Aieshaleigh Smalley
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Kezie Apps
    11 4

2nd Row for Warriors is number 4 Onjeurlina Leiataua
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Talesha Quinn

2nd Row for Warriors is number 12 Alice Vailea
  • Lock for Dragons is number 13 Annette Brander
    13 18

Lock for Warriors is number 18 Masuisuimatamaalii Tauaua-Pauaraisa
Interchange
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Teina Clark
    16 13

Interchange for Warriors is number 13 Luisa Gago
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Melanie Howard
    17 15

Interchange for Warriors is number 15 Lorina Papali'i
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 18 Asipau Mafi
    18 16

Interchange for Warriors is number 16 Amber Kani
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 19 Kate Haren
    19 20

Interchange for Warriors is number 20 Raquel Anderson-Pitman
Dragons Ins
  • Kate Haren
  • Talesha Quinn
Ins
Warriors Ins
  • Amber Kani
  • Crystal Tamarua
  • Lisa Edwards
  • Raquel Anderson-Pitman
Dragons Outs
  • Asoiva Karpani
  • Sam Bremner
Outs
Warriors Ins
  • Annetta Nuuausala
  • Kahurangi Peters
  • Shontelle Woodman
  • Tanika-Jazz Noble
Using the NRL app? See all the team lists here

Dragons: A big blow for the Dragons with captain Sam Bremner ruled out through injury. Honey Hireme shifts to fullback, while Hannah Southwell has been promoted to start in the centres. Holly Wheeler will start at prop and Kate Haren moves from the reserves to the bench. Talia Atfield was omitted an hour prior to kick-off.

Warriors: The Warriors have made several changes, with Sarina Clark to start at centre after initially being named on the bench. Winger Langi Vaina has been moved from wing to centre, while Lisa Edwards has been promoted to start on the wing. Onjeurlina Leiataua has been dropped to the bench and Sui Tauaua moves from the reserves to starting lock. The new face on the bench is Raquel Anderson. Va'Nessa Molia-Fraser was cut an hour before kick-off.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/11/dragons-v-warriors-nrlw-round-2-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
sergisj-2gp_2708.jpg

MATCH REPORT

Dragons outclass Warriors for first NRLW win
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 06:41 PM

St George Illawarra have bounced back from last week's defeat to orchestrate a dominant all-round game to beat the Warriors 22-10 in round two of the Holden Women's Premiership at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

The Dragons clicked into gear after their first performance as a side together last week ended in a 30-4 loss to the Broncos.

Honey Hireme and Jessica Sergis starred for the Red V in the must-win encounter in front of 16,274 fans, with the result confirming Brisbane as the first side to progress to the inaugural grand final on September 30 following their 14-4 victory over the Roosters on Friday.

But their grand final opponents will come down to next week's final round with all three teams – the Dragons, Roosters and Warriors remaining in contention.

"They did themselves proud," Dragons coach Daniel Lacey said after the clash.

"They've probably played their whole careers trying to impress someone, get somewhere, and do things they've been told they can't do.

"I've given them the opportunity and they took it. I've also said to them that's one win and onto next week now. We were good for the run last week and even better for the run after two games."

Match Highlights: NRLW Dragons v Warriors – Round 2, 2018

The Dragons lost Sam Bremner to a foot injury pre-game but jumped out of the blocks to race to a 12-0 lead inside six minutes with long-range tries down the left edge through Shakiah Tungai and Honey Hireme.

NSW Country representative Tungai latched onto an Apii Nicholls pass to race the length of the field against the run of play, before a late offload from Hannah Southwell enabled Hireme to weave past Nicholls and dive over under the posts.

Hireme was enormous for the Dragons in Bremner's fullback spot to finish the game with 192 running metres and six tackle busts to terrorise the Warriors, a number of whom she plays alongside with the Kiwi Ferns at international level.

The Warriors had their chances to strike back with St George Illawarra reduced to 12 players in the opening half with Keeley Davis earning the first ever sin-binning in NRLW history for a professional foul.

But Luisa Avaiki's side failed to take advantage with Alice Vailea losing the ball over the line and Langi Veainu denied by a one-on-one Sergis try saver.

"We went away from what we wanted to achieve in terms of our momentum and building pressure," Avaiki said of the Warriors' performance.

"We were impatient at times today, especially in the middle. We needed to compose ourselves and be patient in those key areas."

sergisj-1gp_5020.jpg

Dragons centre Jessica Sergis. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The Red V extended their lead to 18-0 with interchange playmaker Mel Howard providing a deft kick for Rikeya Horne to latch onto the ball and step her way over the line.

It took a piece of luck for the Warriors to get on the board midway through the second half with a Sarina Clark cross-field kick bouncing perfectly for Racquel Anderson-Pitman to dive on the ball in-goal.

But the afternoon belonged to the Red V late with Sergis showing the class that saw her represent NSW in 2016, the centre breaking three tackles to charge over on the right edge.

The Warriors struck late with a try through Clark to make it 22-10 and they mounted one last raid down the left hand side which was shut down by a superb cover tackle by Sergis.

"That's character, it's a whole new competition and these girls need to set what the boundaries are, what the expectations are," Lacey said of Sergis' performance in both attack and defence.

"You know you're in good shape when you're defending for each other."

The Dragons will now need to beat the Roosters and hope the Broncos beat the Warriors next week to advance into the grand final.

Likewise the Warriors will need to defeat the Broncos to book their place for a re-match with the Queensland-based club a week later.

The Sydney Roosters could force their way into grand final calculations with a big win over the Dragons in the final round.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/15/dragons-outclass-warriors-for-first-nrlw-win/

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ready to unbuckle after first-year roller coaster
AFL
r540_0_3200_2481_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH YEAR: Ben Hunt with James Graham. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS halfback Ben Hunt is looking forward to thinking about anything but rugby league after a self-described "roller coaster” first year in the red v.

Saturday's agonising one-point semi-final defeat to South Sydney was indicative of the season the 28-year-old had after joining the club on a highly publicised six-year $6 million deal.

He scored a brilliant solo try for an 8-2 lead at halftime, only to shank an attempted go-ahead field goal and fail to get to a kick at the end of his side's final set, opening the door for Adam Reynolds’match-winning field goal.

It saw him once again wear the brunt of the criticism from fans and commentators for his inability to close the show. Hunt accepted as much in the aftermath.

“It was a pretty big error from me,” Hunt said.

“I thought we had a few numbers on the edge there so I just decided to shift the ball and I should have just played the [high] percentage play, kicked on the last and put them down there end.

“It was just an error on my behalf and it's very disappointing. Those little things in a game that really change an outcome. It gave them the field position and, credit to Reynolds, he's a great player and he kicked three field goals in a row.

“I can't remember watching a game where a side's had three field goals so it was a pretty crazy last 10 minutes. We fought really hard and, unfortunately, we didn't close out the game as well as we should have.”

He similarly frank on his attempt field goal.

“We had field position and we didn't have many opportunities down their end tonight so I thought 'we might not get back here’ so I took the shot and absolutely sprayed it,” he said.

Fronting up, as he has all season in the face of relentless scrutiny, Hunt said he certainly plans to get away from the game after a season in which he became the most talked about player in the NRL.

“The media's part of the game and I'll always come and talk to the media,” Hunt said.

“I'm not going to shy away from it but if I can get away from some things that are written or said I'll do that. You learn different things along the way in how to handle it and get away from it.

“I found it pretty hard at times this year to try and get away from it but I learned some lessons again in how to handle that. I'll have a little reflection but I'll get completely away from footy. I'll have a lot of family time, get back to Queensland and see some friends and family.

“It's been a bit of a roller coaster year but one I'll look back on and appreciate I think. There's been some good times, there's been some hard times and some lessons learned.

“Overall I've been quite pleased with the year and happy for the move. There's a plan going forward, there’s a big core of the team signed for several years. We'll go back to the drawing board, have a big preseason and go again.”

No doubt the biggest question ahead of the preseason will be how to prevent the late-season drop off in form that have plagued recent campaigns, a super impressive 48-18 win over Brisbane in week one of the finals aside

It's a question coach Paul McGregor said he will look at as he reviews the campaign, but he was ultimately satisfied with the club's most successful season since 2011.

“I think if you go back and look at the year every team's going to have period where they're not playing well,” McGregor said.

“Every team in the competition's done that and the top eight teams have done less of it. That's why they finished so [far] clear of ninth position.

“Ours was obviously at the back end of the year after a pretty heavy load through that middle third through the Origin period with players we haven't had in there before.

"With the type of footy we played for the first 10-12 weeks, there has to be a drop in there somewhere because to sustain that week in week out hasn't happened in the competition.

“The competition this year's as close as it's ever been. At the back end we got some injuries at the very wrong time, to be without Gaz [Gareth Widdop] and [Paul] Vaughan was difficult.

“Obviously there'll be a review at the end of the year and we'll look at it. Every team will go through a review and make sure they get things right for the follwing year and out things in place.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ckle-after-first-year-roller-coaster/?cs=2375

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin hopeful of Kangaroos selection
AFL
r0_171_4269_2571_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Seeking Test selection: Jack de Belin is confident his ankle will be healthy if he earns a Kangaroos jumper. Picture: NRL Imagery/Scott Davis.

St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin is confident his ankle injury won’t prevent a Test debut should he gain selection for the Kangaroos end-of-season Tests.

Mal Meninga’s men will head to New Zealand in mid-October to take on the Kiwis and Tonga in back-to-back weeks.

De Belin firmed as a Kangaroos contender after an impressive State of Origin performance that saw him named in the Origin Merit Team after NSW’s breakthrough series victory.

If handed the opportunity to wear the green and gold jumper, de Belin said it’s an honour he would relish.

“For sure the ankle will be okay,” de Belin said. “I’ve been playing on it pretty busted, but give it a couple of weeks and it should be 100 per cent.

“It would’ve helped going deeper into the finals and getting another couple of weeks to show what I’m about. I feel like I’ve had a good year, performed on the Origin arena, we got the Origin series wrapped up there.

“I’d love to play for Australia, but that’s out of my hands.”

De Belin’s comments came after the Dragons heartbreaking one-point defeat to South Sydney and while it’s not a feeling he enjoyed, the lock said the platform has been laid for future success.

“A lot of players got Origin experience this year, to play finals footy we had a few young boys that hadn’t played any finals footy before, to play in front of 50,000 fans was a great feeling.

“A lot of our youth will take a lot out of it and the older players will build on it and take a lot out of it.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5648088/de-belin-eyeing-test-honours/?cs=2375

getsmarty

Immortal
hiremeh-1gp_4612.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

NRLW Team of the Week: Round 2
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Mon 17 Sep 2018, 02:01 PM

The second round of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership produced another range of mixed performances and individual brilliance.

Brisbane have wrapped up a spot in the inaugural grand final following their 14-4 victory over the Roosters at Allianz Stadium om Friday night.

The Dragons bounced back from their opening round misfortunes with a 22-10 win over the Warriors.

Here is NRL.com's Team of the week:

nrlw-team-of-the-week_20180917.jpg

1. Honey Hireme (St George Illawarra Dragons) - A five-star performance from the Kiwi Ferns international. The Dragons found their perfect replacement for the injured Sam Bremner with Hireme given a licence to roam before churning out 170 metres from 10 carries along with four tackle busts. Could make it hard for coach Daniel Lacey to move her back to the centres.

2. Rikeya Horne (St George Illawarra Dragons) - Collected a kick for her first try of the NRLW and looked sharp out of dummy half in a strong performance that included eight tackle breaks. Like the rest of the Dragons, looked more comfortable with a game under her belt.

3. Jess Sergis (St George Illawarra Dragons) - An early nomination for player of the round. A strong game on the edge with two try-savers and 108 metres before crashing over for a four-pointer of her own. After coming off a nasty head knock last week, she celebrated her 21st birthday in style.

4. Isabelle Kelly (Sydney Roosters) - You'd think the Broncos did a reasonable job against Kelly given they forced a few errors with their rushing defence. And then you look at the 134 metres next to her name, along with two line breaks, six tackle busts and a try, and you think otherwise. A weapon who is doing her best in a struggling side.

Match Highlights: NRLW Roosters v Broncos - Round 2, 2018

5. Shakiah Tungai (St George Illawarra Dragons) - Another Dragons player who looked better for the run. Latched onto an Apii Nicholls pass to run the length of the field and was defensively sound on the edge.

6. Kimiora Nati (Brisbane Broncos) - Missed out on individual honours last week with a solid performance but her combination with Teuila Fotu-Moala is beginning to blossom. Nati looks dangerous with every carry and is keeping the opposition guessing.

7. Ali Brigginshaw (Brisbane Broncos) - Another consistent performance from Brigginshaw in a big game. She went in for the Broncos' first try with a show-and-go, while her 188 kick metres turned the Roosters around on several occasions. Hard to see where she can be stopped.

8. Steph Hancock (Brisbane Broncos) - Came off the bench to churn out 90 metres in 33 minutes and added impact with her aggressive ways against the likes of Australian international forwards Ruan Sims and Elianna Walton.

9. Brittany Breayley (Brisbane Broncos) - Another professional performance from the Jillaroos hooker with seven carries out of dummy half. Got her forwards on the front foot and topped the tackle count with 39.

10. Holli Wheeler (St George Illawarra Dragons) - Got thrown into the front row at late notice but didn't look out of place to match it with a typically dominant Warriors forward pack. Played the entire 60 minutes for 91 metres and 31 tackles.

11. Teuila Fotu-Moala (Brisbane Broncos) - An unstoppable performance from the Broncos back-rower to compile 12 runs for 119 metres with nine tackle busts, two line breaks and a try.

Match Highlights: NRLW Dragons v Warriors – Round 2, 2018

12. Kezie Apps (St George Illawarra Dragons) - Found her groove on the edge with the return of Talesha Quinn on the other side. Got through a mountain of work and accumulated a game-high 44 post-contact metres.

13. Annette Brander (St George Illawarra Dragons) - A quiet achiever who has excelled since moving to the Dragons. Tightened up the middle of the defensive line after the loss to Brisbane with 28 tackles and nine runs in a solid all-round performance.

14. Meg Ward (Brisbane Broncos) - Arm, leg and neck injuries couldn't get her off the field on Friday. Marked up opposite Isabelle Kelly and held her at bay with some rushing defence in a fine performance.

15. Sarina Clark (NZ Warriors) - Scored a try and set up the Warriors' other in a beaten side. Had 14 carries for 128 metres including 35 post-contact metres and four tackle busts.

16. Simaima Taufa (Sydney Roosters) - Virtually played on one leg with a MCL injury but still managed to top the Roosters' numbers with 14 carries for 101 metres off the bench for her side.

17. Ngatokotoru Arakua (Brisbane Broncos) - Another dominant performance off the bench with 95 metres and four tackle busts in just 21 minutes of game time.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/17/nrlw-team-of-the-week-round-2/

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor looks for positives after St George Illawarra Dragons' heart-breaking finals exit
  • Local Sport
    St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor was left to try and find the positives after the Dragons’ crushing semi-finals exit on Saturday night.

A hat-trick of Adam Reynolds field goals ended St George Illawarra’s season in heart-breaking fashion, with the Dragons going down 13-12 to South Sydney in a thriller at ANZ Stadium.

It was an enthralling contest fitting of September football. The teams only scored one try each as they defended for their seasons.

While the Dragons will begin their post-mortems, with another season that promised so much ultimately ending with disappointment, Souths advanced to a preliminary final where they will meet the Sydney Roosters in the last ever game of rugby league at the Sydney Football Stadium before its rebuild.

Ben Hunt had given the Dragons the lead just before half-time with a superb solo try before Reynolds got Souths back in the game midway through the second half.

Young centre Zac Lomax was again strong with the boot, kicking four goals including the pressure penalty that put the Dragons in front 12-11 with five minutes to play.

The game looked to be heading to golden-point extra-time after a second Reynolds field goal. But, with their season on the line, the Dragons attempted to run the ball on the last tackle. They only succeeded in handing possession back to Souths 45 metres out from their own line with just under a minute to go.

Souths knew the plan. They attacked the posts again before finding Reynolds. This time he danced around the pressure before slotting his third field goal with 19 seconds remaining to secure a famous victory for South Sydney, breaking Dragons hearts.

“We had it. We lost it. We had it. It came down obviously to the field goal as the difference in the end,” McGregor said.

“I thought the real turning point there in the game was obviously we needed to finish with 17 fit men. And when Tariq [Sims] went off in the back-row on the left edge that put change to that. Possession wise it swung a fair bit their way in the back end.

“For me next door [in the sheds] it’s about the year that was. It’s been our most successful year since 2011.

“Coming into the semi-finals series not in the best form or shape with a few injuries. We go up and put a nice score on Brisbane. [Against Souths] comes down to a field goal in the end.

“So as a coach it’s a great character-building experience for a lot of people.

“We’ve got some real youth in next door. There’s four or five guys their main goal this year was just to make first grade and they’ve come out and played most of the year in first grade and finished in the second week of the semi-finals series. So very happy.”
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ves-after-heart-breaking-finals-exit/?cs=1633

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-17_23-17-1.gif
    upload_2018-9-17_23-17-1.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2

blacksafake

First Grade
“We’ve got some real youth in next door. There’s four or five guys their main goal this year was just to make first grade and they’ve come out and played most of the year in first grade and finished in the second week of the semi-finals series. So very happy.”

Who are the four/five guys he's talking about?
Lomax & Lawrie only played the last few due to injuries.

hazzbeen

Bench

Who are the four/five guys he's talking about?
Lomax & Lawrie only played the last few due to injuries.
They were all due to injury , and coach had no other options , otherwise we would never have known if any of them were any good .

FlameThrower

Bench
Need to rest players, bring on juniors thru FG, they get experience to cover injury and rep commitments. We had too many key players either injured or playing with an injury. McGregor if coach next year has no excusesie 3 years running now. Also HPU need to be under spotlight ie JDB should not have played after Origin games. Our forwards were busted after Souths game and I think they had nothing left in the tank.

getsmarty

Immortal
brandera-1gp_5045.jpg

DRAGONS

Brander reaps rewards with increase of recovery options
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 06:01 AM

St George Illawarra recruit Annette Brander reckons it took her two days to partially recover following a brutal clash with Brisbane in the opening round of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

For some of the women's players who have been training and playing in the NRLW, they've experienced their first taste of the daily routine of a full-time professional NRL athlete over the past two months.

The access to recovery sessions like cryotherapy, 24-hour physiotherapy and structured training sessions that include a focus around diet is something not taken lightly by Brander, who is unlikely to have the same luxury until the start of the competition again next season.

The 25-year-old hadn't played a top-level game since the Holden State of Origin clash two months ago.

She pulled up with a minor wrist injury that she would usually have not got checked.

"Without this recovery system we're out of pocket so a lot of us go to physios if we really think it's bad," Brander told NRL.com.

"Most leave their niggling injuries for a bit and it turns into something worse.

"With my time at the club now I was straight in the next day [following the Broncos clash] and back there two days later.

"It just makes a massive difference for us to be able to perform and know we can put everything out there as we'll be looked after."

brandera-180909700-sd.jpg

Dragons forward Annette Brander. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Brander had no regrets over joining the Dragons despite a last-minute offer from the Broncos following her players' player Origin performance for Queensland in June.

She joined Dragons teammate Asipau Mafi for a road trip from Brisbane to Wollongong in August to link up with the Red V.

A legal assistant away from the paddock, Brander has picked up shifts at a local café to accommodate her stay on the NSW South Coast.

"I was reluctant being a Brissie girl and following the Broncos," Brander said.

"When I weighed up the pros and cons it was about getting out of my comfort zone a bit and coming here with girls that I wouldn't normally play with or know as opposed to girls who are really good mates.

"It's good for my development as a player and person. The Dragons were accommodating to that and made me feel like I had already proved myself."

St George Illawarra could meet the Broncos in the inaugural decider on September 30 if they claim a victory over the Roosters on Saturday.

Brander believes the side has come a long way in the space of a week, beating the Warriors after a first-up loss to Brisbane.

brandera-2gp_2684.jpg

Dragons forward Annette Brander. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"It just shows a trial game can help us as much as it helped the Broncos and Warriors in the first week," Brander said.

"It made all the girls rally around. I think we did a good job as middles against the Warriors, who have barely played before.

"The Roosters now have two games under their belt where they've been able to gel.

"They've got a stacked team of superstars so they can be a really good team but so do we. It would be great to replicate another strong performance against them on the weekend and hopefully do enough to make the grand final."

Bremner remains in doubt for the clash with a toe injury, while Roosters forwards Ruan Sims (thumb) and Simaima Taufa (knee) are also battling injuries.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/18/brander-reaps-rewards-with-increase-of-recovery-options/

getsmarty

Immortal
2nh_3857e.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW team: Round 3 v Sydney Roosters
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has named his mandatory 21-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 3 NRL Holden Women's Premiership clash against the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium on Saturday, September 22.

Skipper Sam Bremner (big toe) has been named to play the Sydney Roosters after missing last weekend's big win over the Warriors.

Otherwise the same 21 players have been named as Round 2's team list announcement.

Kick-off is at 5:10pm, with a win required to qualify for the inaugural Women's Premiership grand final on September 30.

Women's Premiership squad for Round 3 v Roosters:

1. Sam Bremner (c) – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by University of Wollongong
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Powerade
4. Honey Hireme – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
5. Shakiah Tungai
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by Dincel
7. Raecene McGregor – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
8. Oneata Schwalger
9. Anneka Stephens
10. Eva Karpani
11. Kezie Apps – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Talesha Quinn – sponsored by Anytime Fitness
13. Annette Brander – sponsored by EFEX