What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

rednwhites

Juniors
I think the De Belin thing would affect the team in more ways than just him not playing.

I also think however it is not good enough to use that as a reason to capitulate as they have.

It's very simple. You need to deal with all kinds of adversity and there is no excuse for what fans are having to watch at the moment.

McGregor didn't have the goods before all this, with JDB at his disposal but this seems to have been forgotten.

DUB888

Juniors
From finals hopefuls to 14th: How the Dragons’ grand plan for glory was left in tatters
DRAGONS

• July 20, 2019 1:43pm
  • by GEORGE CLARKE
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
cb0e51bb2c8f3bea6cad3c778a9ab24d

James Graham raised his arms in bemusementSource: AAP
James Graham’s body language said it all.
Arms raised in bemusement, face crinkled in shock and disbelief. The Dragons were mauled by the Panthers on Friday.

Now, a team that started 2019 as genuine contenders, their season looks all but over.

With just 14 points to their name, Paul McGregor’s side can still make the finals, a matter he was quick to make clear in the aftermath of the defeat to the Panthers.

“Mathematically we can, yeah, and I still believe that we can,” McGregor said after his team had gone in at the break in contention, only to flounder at the mercy of Penrith. They had closed the gap at halftime when Josh Kerr went over, before the Panthers put them to the sword.

“But again, like I said last week, there’s a long way to go.

“It’s down to now winning every game or winning six of our next seven.

“We’re making it hard for ourselves, especially with performances in the second half like that.

“I can’t explain it right now because it shouldn’t happen.”

739404_640x360_large_20190719225911.jpg

Dragons press conference

The reality is that they won’t win those games. After their second-half surrender against Ivan Cleary’s resurgent team, the Dragons would need to win close to all their remaining games just to meet the usual 28-point cut-off.

It’s not just McGregor who struggles to offer an explanation as to why the Dragons are in their current predicament. Nobody can.

A glance at the Dragons roster suggests they should be nowhere near the wooden spoon, but they are just as close to finishing last as they are to the top eight.

Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell all played in Origin this year. Tariq Sims did too, while James Graham, Korbin Sims and Gareth Widdop are all established internationals.

739396_640x360_large_20190719221623.jpg

Panthers dismantle Dragons

Admittedly, Widdop has been missing for most of the season with injury before heading home, while another representative star in Jack de Belin has been sidelined for off-field issues. Injuries affect every team, but McGregor didn’t help himself with his tweaks to the spine in the early part of the season.

But still, the Dragons roster is strong and they should have won more than just two games — against the lowly Bulldogs and fellow underachievers the Cowboys — since the narrow Round 6 victory over Manly.

It’s why it made the decision to drop Hunt — a key man with the panache and flair to unlock any defence — for the must-win game with Penrith was all the more baffling.

The Queensland hooker was targeted by the Raiders as he backed up from Origin last week, missing three key tackles.

Perhaps he was little tired, but with the season on the line Hunt would likely spend finals week resting on a beach, with cocktail in hand. That’s when he could get his rest. McGregor instead opted to give him the week off for the most crucial match-up of the season.

739399_640x360_large_20190719223854.jpg

How does Ben Hunt feel?

“How does Ben Hunt feel sitting on the sideline watching that?” Greg Alexander told Fox League.

“If you are the number one man at a club and the coach says, ‘I’m going to rest you’ well you say, ‘you’re kidding I’m not resting’.”

As the poor results have increased, so too have the rumblings.

Frizell had to address speculation he wanted to move on to the Roosters.

We were told during the broadcast that Frizell would respond to those rumours — what was essentially messageboard and Facebook group gossip that had not been reported on by a legitimate publication — in an attempt to quash them. When was the last time you remember a player doing that?

739247_640x360_large_20190718161039.jpg

McGregor responds to fans

There has been talk on the grapevine in England, too, that Widdop could ask for an early release with Warrington — his destination for 2020 — keen to strengthen ahead of their finals push.

While McGregor’s own future is not without scrutiny. He was awarded a new contract through to 2021 in April which will see him become the club’s longest-serving coach.

If he can stop this slump, that is. At the start of this season he called the Red V’s current cohort as “the best squad I have coached”.

They may be the best side McGregor has worked with, but as it stands, they’re 14th on the ladder and with that, their season looks dead and buried.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/fe1b72470d91fd2477c48cb953d2767e

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons blame de Belin for slump – and are close to breaking point
Danny Weidler
July 20, 2019 — 10.00pm
  • Send via Email

Privately, the Dragons say Jack de Belin is the anchor that is weighing down their season. And they are close to breaking point.

Officials from the joint-venture club have already been to the NRL to discuss how the financial commitment to de Belin is unfair. They were told to go away. The Dragons will pay him $600,000 for this season and the same next year, although they did get salary-cap relief for a replacement.

DRAGONS
'Give it to me, but not my players,' McGregor tells Dragons fans
De Belin is doing what he is allowed and entitled to do under the NRL’s ‘‘no-fault’’ stand-down policy: train with the team. He is intent on staying fit, and being around the team is good for him.

But many at the club would prefer the players weren’t getting a daily reminder of the star player who is not available for them.

It’s a tough situation.

De Belin has already made it very clear through his legal challenges to the NRL’s stand-down policy that he believes he is innocent. He is already about $500,000 in debt as a result of the failed legal bids.

He earns $600,000 a year. He has just become a dad. It’s my understanding the club has reached out to de Belin, his family and his agent to discuss the way forward to ensure he has money to support his family.

704d1f9d031f8f058a1053fc18a62146b6302542

No game time: De Belin trains with the Dragons at WIN Stadium.CREDIT:ANNA WARR

To make matters worse, de Belin will be a free agent in a couple of months as his deal expires at the end of 2020. Unsurprisingly, he is not a hot property on the market.

His latest legal challenge to the Federal Court’s ruling against him is believed to be on a no-win-no-fee basis.

The club wants to discuss the reality of his situation. A loss in the courts will obviously be soul-destroying for de Belin and the club. But they are also bracing themselves for a win by de Belin in the courts. That will result in further court action: de Belin will launch defamation action on many fronts and you can anticipate a bigger case against the NRL.
Oh Danny how convenient for this to come out now. Are they now!.

They won 4 out of their first 6. Everything was Ok then was'nt it, or are you telling me that 29 other grown men are kicking stones and all mentally fragile cause a mate of theirs is training and cant play. Maybe 1..Aitken is a close mate of his i will accept but no.
And you would think if it affected them so much they would rally and band together not grow apart
I suggest you look elsewhere and what is in front of you...maybe the coach is kicking stones..not the players
How does the team cope with any injuries and seeing players sit on the sidelines is the real question..how do other clubs do it?
Spare me days - are we really going down this path...what a BS excuse.

"De Belin will be a free agent in a couple of months as his deal expires at the end of 2020. Unsurprisingly, he is not a hot property on the market"

How can you judge this when he is not available yet until Nov 1. Are you saying clubs and player managers ignore the rule?. I am sure he may not be hot property but nice story filler anyway.

URL Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...-close-to-breaking-point-20190720-p5294l.html

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
"The keyboard warriors want to blame coach Paul McGregor for St George Illawarra’s slump to the foot of the ladder, but he is a long way from the most serious issue in the eyes of the club. The Dragons have a board meeting this week and, at this stage, McGregor is not on the agenda, but de Belin is sure to get a mention."

Weidler is kidding himself.
He states that us fans have no right to analysis McGregor skill as a coach and that we are purely keyboard warriors.

How many finals appearances in the last five years, Danny?
With the team he wanted.
With how many internationals?

He's having a lend, surely.

BLM01

First Grade
"The keyboard warriors want to blame coach Paul McGregor for St George Illawarra’s slump to the foot of the ladder, but he is a long way from the most serious issue in the eyes of the club. The Dragons have a board meeting this week and, at this stage, McGregor is not on the agenda, but de Belin is sure to get a mention."

Weidler is kidding himself.
He states that us fans have no right to analysis McGregor skill as a coach and that we are purely keyboard warriors.

How many finals appearances in the last five years, Danny?
With the team he wanted.
With how many internationals?

He's having a lend, surely.
OKB..where did you get those words from. Did not see those in the article uploaded on here unless the whole lot was not put on..anyway
Sounds like to me that our club has fired back it's own bullets via a front row Channel 9 journo..to quieten every one down re Mary especially the back seat journos. That is one IOU for Danny and Channel 9..that is right Dragons are on TV again next week.
Most on here knew anyway Mary would not be on the agenda. That would be the too obvious solution and a place to look and show commonsense.
If it is about JDB...why now?

blacksafake

First Grade
OKB..where did you get those words from. Did not see those in the article uploaded on here unless the whole lot was not put on..anyway
Sounds like to me that our club has fired back it's own bullets via a front row Channel 9 journo..to quieten every one down re Mary especially the back seat journos. That is one IOU for Danny and Channel 9..that is right Dragons are on TV again next week.
Most on here knew anyway Mary would not be on the agenda. That would be the too obvious solution and a place to look and show commonsense.
They were in the article so obviously not all was put on.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Yes mate, they are in the article but funny you mention it, l tried copy / paste and it wouldn't show so here is the link..........

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...-close-to-breaking-point-20190720-p5294l.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Soward wants full review into Dragons
  • National Sport News
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jamie Soward has stuck the boot into the Dragons, saying the club needs a top-to-toe evaluation.
    Struggling St George Illawarra's impending review needs to be a top-to-toe analysis of the NRL club, former playmaker Jamie Soward believes.

The Dragons board is set to meet on Tuesday to begin a review of their 2019 season.

The Dragons were thumped 40-18 by Penrith on Friday - a result that leaves them 14th on the ladder with just six wins.

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston has said the future of coach Paul McGregor won't be up for discussion as part of the review, but Soward feels every aspect of the club should be put under the microscope.

"The Dragons are a mess. It hurts me to say this ... they're just in a shambles," Soward told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"The internal review needs to go through the whole club from top to bottom regardless of your position."

A premiership winner with the Dragons in 2010, Soward fell out with then coach Steve Price in 2013 and left the club before finishing his NRL career at Penrith.

The Dragons have endured a season which began with Jack De Belin being stood down under the NRL's 'no-fault' policy before captain Gareth Widdop was sidelined with a shoulder injury.

Despite those woes, Soward said there's no doubt the team shouldn't be scrapping at the bottom of the ladder with strugglers like Gold Coast.

"The Dragons have got a roster at the moment that should be a top four team - a top five team at worst - and they haven't been able to put the results on," Soward said.

"The thing for Dragons fans is, they haven't got any big recruits coming next year, this is their team next year.

"There's been some guys there that have been re-signed, held on to and put in the team that haven't improved. That's why they're currently 14th.

"They're in real danger of the Titans just jagging one or two games after some stars get rested going in and the Dragons not going well and they're in a fight for the spoon."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6285628/soward-wants-full-review-into-dragons/?cs=13069

BLM01

First Grade
Fresh from the Smelligraph..............

View attachment 31676
Even before this he had issues at our club kept quiet and I was so glad we let him go
And some want us to reach back out to him. He clearly does not enjoy the rigours of professional rugby league and would prefer to do other things...and that is OK too

Anyway back on track, where is the article re the decisions out of the big board get together yesterday over a few ales and pizzas.

Old Timer

Coach
Can someone post the Max Krillich article re Cameron Smith?
Finally someone calling him out for what he is "pampered player and refs pet".
Max was a great player and always a straight shooter good on him.
Of course no coincidence Manly are playing Storm so Max is also smart as when to highlight it.

getsmarty

Immortal
grahama.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Bennett praises passion of Graham as Lions jersey launched
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 24 Jul 2019, 10:53 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Great Britain coach Wayne Bennett has praised star forwards Sam Burgess and James Graham as the Lions jersey was unveiled for their first matches in 12 years at the end of the season.

The long-time Test team room-mates are due to play each other in Friday night’s clash between Bennett’s South Sydney and St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium but Burgess is expected to be ruled out for the Rabbitohs due to an infection.

However, he is hoping to play alongside Graham when the Lions embark on their first tour since 2006, with the pair and England captain Sean O’Loughlin likely to be the only players to have previously worn the Great Britain jersey.

Graham has represented Great Britain on five occasions, while Burgess has played two Tests and both were members of the team which beat New Zealand in England in 2007.

Great Britain have not played since but the Lions concept will be revived at the end of the season when Bennett oversees Tests against New Zealand, Tonga and Papua New Guinea.

Burgess, who captained the Bennett-coached England team in the 2017 World Cup final against Australia and now plays under him at South Sydney, is expected to be one of the first players picked, along with Graham.

:lion_face: The pride is back...

:handshake: Designed by @Hummel1923 with principle partner @DaciaUK!

:flag_gb: #GBRLLIONS

Buy yours here :point_right: https://t.co/OeN3QwJYJR pic.twitter.com/ZvEupWuktJ

— Rugby Football League (@TheRFL) July 23, 2019
Despite both having enjoyed lengthy careers in the NRL, Bennett said Burgess and Graham, the St George Illawarra prop, remained passionate about England and Great Britain.

"Whatever England has done over the past five or six years, a lot can be put down to those two," Bennett said. "They’ve both really put their hands up and they make my job so much easier."

Burgess demonstrated his national pride when he turned up at Souths training last week in an England Test jersey and cricket cap after their defeat of New Zealand in the World Cup final at Lords.

"Sam puts it out there every day, it’s not something he hides," Bennett told rugby-league.com

"I see a very passionate Englishman, that’s what I see every day. He’s really proud of his country and loves the game of rugby league.

"That’s what he was brought up on. His father played and he’s lived every day to play rugby league. Nothing has changed with him and he’s a great ambassador for England."

Burgess and Dragons captain Gareth Widdop are among the players featured in a video to launch the return of the iconic blue and red V Great Britain jersey for the four-match tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

The video - titled The Pride Is Back - includes clips of classic moments such as Jonathan Davies’ try against Australia at Wembley in 1994, Clive Sullivan lifting the World Cup in 1972, and older footage of Lions teams entering the field at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...s-passion-of-graham-as-lions-jersey-launched/

getsmarty

Immortal
Phil Gould fires warning shot to 'mediocre' St. George Illawarra Dragons

18 hrs ago

$
:copyright: Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited
Phil Gould has fired a warning shot towards the St. George Illawarra Dragons after their heartbreaking final-minute loss to South Sydney on Friday night, saying they must review their performance 'honestly' despite an improved effort.

The Dragons have been abysmal in their past month of footy, but almost snatched a miraculous win from the jaws of defeat against the second-placed Rabbitohs.

Trailing by 12 points in the 66th minute and being dominated by the Rabbitohs all game, the Dragons managed to take a two-point lead with a minute on the clock, after a pair of quickfire tries to debutant Jason Saab and a huge 79th minute penalty goal from captain Gareth Widdop.

The elation of the Red V faithful was shortlived however, as the Rabbitohs reclaimed the short kick off and scored through winger Campbell Graham on the final siren.

Whilst the Dragons went within seconds of downing one of the premiership favourites and ending their winless streak, Gould says coach Paul McGregor and his players must be wary of the way they assess the sides efforts.

"The Dragons were better, and I think there's a real danger for the Dragons and their coach if they look at that and say 'okay that was a big improvement, we're back,'" he said on Macquarie Sports Radio's The Gus Gould Show.

"They're not back. They weren't great. They've got a lot more in them than what they showed last night.

"There were some better signs, but there was still a lot of mediocre stuff there.

"If they accept well that was a great result we only just got beaten tonight by a good side, we could've easily won - it's going to come against them next week.

"They need to honestly review that game. Some of the things can't be fixed right now, they need to be fixed in the off-season, but they're not back yet

After being resting the previous week, Dragons halfback Ben Hunt had a mixed night in his return to the side, making two costly errors and missing two crucial tackles.

Gould was scathing of the performance from the Dragons' million dollar man in Channel 9's post-game commentary. and doubled down on his comments on Saturday morning.

"I as really dissapointed the halfback Ben Hunt, I thought his performance was poor for a player that they rely so much upon," he said.

"He's the highest paid player in the club, not that money comes into it but there is a big responsibility that comes with that.

"He came up with so many poor plays in the game both in attack and defense and it was just not good enough, on the back of having a rest last week because he's comes through the Origin and he's tired.

"I can't imagine too many of the great halves in our game having a rest on his team when they're in such a position on the competition table."

For South Sydney it wasn't a win that would've filled supporters with confidence. Despite leading for most of the game and dominating the territory, the Rabbitohs failed to put the final sword through the Dragons and almost let the win slip.

Gould wasn't convinced by the side's performance given the way some of the other top sides in the competition are currently travelling, but is insistent on them turning it around.

"South Sydney aren't grabbing me at the moment," he said.

"They tend to be able to just get through games and they're bowling along in second position I know, but still a long way behind the Roosters and Melbourne Storm.

"The old coach Wayne Bennett, he's very cunning though. Whilst they're in this good position and they're sneaking through and winning games, I don't think he'll put a lot into them at the moment.

"We're still seven weeks from the finals, he knows it's a long race. It's what you do in September that counts.

"They've got a game against Melbourne Storm about three or four weeks out from the finals and I think he might target that one as measure of just how they're going.

"That will then give him a guide as what he's got to proivde over the last month of football leading into the finals."

Friday night's win has the Rabbitohs firmly entrenched in the top four in second position, four points clear of the Roosters and Raiders.

For the Dragons however, the devastating loss appears to have put the final nail in the coffin for what's been a dissapointing year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...diocre-st-george-illawarra-dragons/ar-AAEW4OF

getsmarty

Immortal
Fire still burns for Widdop in final stretch with Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_5300_3357_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK ON DECK: Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop says he always has a burning desire to return to the park this season. Picture: NRL Photos
HE has rich UK Super League deal beckoning from next season but Gareth Widdop says he never thought of writing off his final year with the Dragons.

The 30-year-old Englishman shocked his club in January when he sought a release from the final year two years of his contract to pursue a long-held dream of playing in the UK Super League.

The Dragons granted the request after signing Corey Norman as a replacement, with Widdop stating his intention to finish his final season on a premiership-winning note.

Those plans looked entirely scuppered when he re-dislocated his shoulder against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in round three after first injuring it at the same venue in week one of last year's finals.

It saw him undergo his second shoulder operation in six months and fears he's played his last game for the club. It also prompted suggestions he may look to head to the UK early but he says it's something he never considered.

"I was always determined to get back on the field for the Dragons," Widdop said.

"This is where I'm contracted, next year's next year and I was always going to work hard in rehab and pull on this jersey [again].

"It's been a big part of my life and my career, and my family's life. I haven't thought about next year whatsoever, it's always been about this year and my focus to get back on the field.

"Thankfully I've done that. Obviously we're not in the greatest of positions which is disappointing but it's just time to reflect and enjoy the next couple of weeks with the boys."

Widdop had long loomed on the horizon as the Dragons' finals saviour and it very nearly proved the case on Friday night when he nailed a clutch go-ahead penalty with a minute on the clock.

Read more:Heartbreak for Dragons as Rabbitohs snatch late win

Campbell Graham's try with barely seconds left snatched back the victory and also ensured Widdop's time in Wollongong won't end in the finals.

It's not the exit he hoped for but he insists there's still plenty to play for over the remaining six weeks.

"The last nine months have been quite difficult, I've been sat on the sidelines and obviously [the dislocation] happening a couple of times," he said.

"Being on the sideline's difficult, especially when you're losing and it's all out of your control. Moving on next year and finishing off this way is not the ideal way but I'm back playing now and I'm going to enjoy this last six weeks playing with the boys.

"We spoke about not giving in and showing some pride in yourself as a person and as a team and what it means to pull that Dragons jersey on.

"Irrelevant to the ladder we've still got to go out there and perform. It's our job and that's what we'll be doing. We'll stick together, there's six games left, and we'll fight to the death."

It will no doubt be a nervous six weeks for Warrington coach Steve Price, but Widdop is confident his twice reconstructed shoulder is up to the rigours of the NRL.

"I've been quite lucky my whole career, I haven't missed too many games or had too many setbacks," Widdop said.

"This is the first time so I've been quite lucky. Obviously this second shoulder reco, coming back from having surgery and it failing you're going to be nervous.

"You're confidence is going to be down a little bit but I've done everything that's been asked of me rehab-wise and I'm back playing which is great.

"It's going to take a couple of weeks to get back into the rhythm of things but [Friday night] was a step in the right direction."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-widdop-in-final-stretch-with-dragons/?cs=302

twinkletoes

Juniors
Danny Weidler
July 27, 2019 — 10.00pm
  • Send via Email

De Belin may quit Dragons even if found not guilty
It might seem hard to believe, but the Jack de Belin situation is getting even messier.

At his media conference during the week, Dragons coach Paul McGregor confirmed our piece last week that de Belin’s legal battle is having a serious impact on the team’s performances. He also said that Todd Greenberg had met with the playing group on Tuesday to talk about de Belin.

McGregor revealed he had had a crack at the NRL boss, implying it would have been better if he had made an effort to talk to the players earlier in the year.

77f68670546dc64724049ab3ce1f1e22eed9af1f

Long road ahead: There are conflicting reports out of the Dragons about Jack de Belin's satisfaction at the club.CREDIT:AAP

Word out of the de Belin camp is that, even if he is acquitted of the five charges he faces, he may not want to play for the Dragons again.

We put that to the club and they say they’d be surprised if he was unhappy at the way the club has treated him. That’s not what Team de Belin is saying.

I think the De Belin thing would affect the team in more ways than just him not playing.

I also think however it is not good enough to use that as a reason to capitulate as they have.

It's very simple. You need to deal with all kinds of adversity and there is no excuse for what fans are having to watch at the moment.

McGregor didn't have the goods before all this, with JDB at his disposal but this seems to have been forgotten.
That’s why I think McGregor needs to have the chat with jack and get him out of the picture for all involved

thebigredv

First Grade
Danny Weidler
July 27, 2019 — 10.00pm
  • Send via Email

De Belin may quit Dragons even if found not guilty
It might seem hard to believe, but the Jack de Belin situation is getting even messier.

At his media conference during the week, Dragons coach Paul McGregor confirmed our piece last week that de Belin’s legal battle is having a serious impact on the team’s performances. He also said that Todd Greenberg had met with the playing group on Tuesday to talk about de Belin.

McGregor revealed he had had a crack at the NRL boss, implying it would have been better if he had made an effort to talk to the players earlier in the year.

77f68670546dc64724049ab3ce1f1e22eed9af1f

Long road ahead: There are conflicting reports out of the Dragons about Jack de Belin's satisfaction at the club.CREDIT:AAP

Word out of the de Belin camp is that, even if he is acquitted of the five charges he faces, he may not want to play for the Dragons again.

We put that to the club and they say they’d be surprised if he was unhappy at the way the club has treated him. That’s not what Team de Belin is saying.

I'm also unhappy with the Dragons. Can I quit too?

But seriously this story is bizarre. Is this really considered journalism?