What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As crazy as it sounds.....

Ron Jeremy

Coach
would you put Eric Grothe Jr in the second row? but before you point to his poor tackling and general reading of defense just remember a few things:

- In the forwards you're not isolated like you are outwide, huge problem of Erics, he has no idea one on one.

- Although he might miss a tackle just remember that their are more bodies to help man up, meaning if he was too miss a tackle fellow forwards could finish off te tackle.

- Outwide defense reading is paramount, whilst in the forwards it is not as neccasay ( still important) a straight line and moving up as one are the mai ingredients to keeping a steady defensive line.

- He wouldn't have to compress like he does outwide ( another problem he has)

- Most tackles in the forwards anyway consist of 2-3 tacklers, so really Eric would hardly have to make one on one tackles like he does outwide.

- Able to mark up on more slower bodies eg opposition forwards unlike outwide were there are more speedy, agile players.

- By moving him into the fowards his defense may actually improve due to doing more tackles, communicating more wih fellow teammates and may be exposed to more pressure situations which will inturn make his a better player.

Interesting to think about, i'm not sold on this idea however food for thought..

I just cannot see Eric bouncing back with the opposition knowing how poor defensively he is.

I want to see him back in first grade as a success, not a dud like this year.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I am not sure that would work.

I just can't see him making 20+ tackles a game, and you're likely to lose his strong dummy half runs as a result.

Parra

Referee
Who said he is a poor tackler?

I've read a lot of criticism here about his positional play - but nothing to indicate that he cannot tackle.

He is a very solid defender when he is there. He also makes solid hits when he comes inside - it is just his options/timing that get questioned, not his technique, dedication or one-on-one ability.

Bazal

Post Whore
No....IMO he's a winger or nothing. I still fail to see why the issues of an entire defensive flank are blamed on one man. His positional play is all that needs fixing. Let him do that in Wenty. In the pack we would lose his power running game, is dummy half running and his try scoring ability close to the line

Suitman

Post Whore
would you put Eric Grothe Jr in the second row? but before you point to his poor tackling and general reading of defense just remember a few things:

- In the forwards you're not isolated like you are outwide, huge problem of Erics, he has no idea one on one.

- Although he might miss a tackle just remember that their are more bodies to help man up, meaning if he was too miss a tackle fellow forwards could finish off te tackle.

- Outwide defense reading is paramount, whilst in the forwards it is not as neccasay ( still important) a straight line and moving up as one are the mai ingredients to keeping a steady defensive line.

- Most tackles in the forwards anyway consist of 2-3 tacklers, so really Eric would hardly have to make one on one tackles like he does outwide.

- Able to mark up on more slower bodies eg opposition forwards unlike outwide were there are more speedy, agile players.

- By moving him into the fowards his defense may actually improve due to doing more tackles, communicating more wih fellow teammates and may be exposed to more pressure situations which will inturn make his a better player.

Interesting to think about, i'm not sold on this idea however food for thought..

I just cannot see Eric bouncing back with the opposition knowing how poor defensively he is.

When I read the first line, I thought - WTF? Ron, you're an idiot. :lol:
Then, as I read on, I started to visualise Eric as a second rower, and tbh, I can't see why not.
I reckon he'd go ok tbh, and I think this might be his way back into the top flight.
I'd like any dissenters to give me reasons why he couldn't do it.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
his lateral (sideways) movement is terrible - i reckon he'd be cut to shreds by small quick guys in the centre of the field

Suitman

Post Whore
his lateral (sideways) movement is terrible - i reckon he'd be cut to shreds by small quick guys in the centre of the field

But if he is playing as a forward, wouldn't he be moving more forward, than laterally? Surely that could be coached into him? (Oops, sorry - just realised what I said).

Suity

yy_cheng

Coach

FFS, I've been saying this 2-3 weeks ago. Stick him in Wenty for 3-4 weeks in the 2nd row and teach him how to defend in the middle.

Then if he' goes ok, stick him on the bench as a running 2nd rower. In defense, Eric can hit hard. He just has to control his brain.

He can come on when the forwards are tired and could run amuck (as long as he doesn't pass).

We get real go forward when Grothe and Fui are running at the opposition with quick play the balls.

FFS, any 2nd rower aren't that good laterally. Wagon isn't that good laterally.

If he is busy tackling and rucking it out, he might have less brain explosions.

For mine, when he is on the wing, he sits out wide waiting to get in the action. Parra doesn't know how to use him out wide like the way Sterlo used his old man. Jack Gibson used to say to sterlo, just throw cut out passes to find him and get the ball in his hands.

So he sits there getting bored, and so, he charges out of the line to find some action.

In the middle, there would be plenty of action.

Plus, he could replace Wagon as our defender who harrasses the playmaker.

Period.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yep, why not? he's playing Wenty why not experiment with him, could go great or sit, but lets just see how he goes first.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Who said he is a poor tackler?

I've read a lot of criticism here about his positional play - but nothing to indicate that he cannot tackle.

He is a very solid defender when he is there. He also makes solid hits when he comes inside - it is just his options/timing that get questioned, not his technique, dedication or one-on-one ability.

He gets stood up all the time one on one, Vuna, etc made him look stupid.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yes he did! just the opposition weren't aware of it.

Go and watch Parra vs Souths rd 2 in 2005, they scored a heap of tries going his way. He has always been weak reading the opposition, just that now they're aware of it.

Redback71

First Grade
id play him off the bench, get him into dummy half and cart it up the middle where i rekon he would be awesome

Aenemus

Juniors
I can't see him being any worse then someone like Wagon.

He runs hard, hits hard, and is quick... I think he could be devastating in the centre of the field... or wide as a running forward. His one on one defense would be fine in the middle of the field, as others said it is his postional play which is the major concern.

His fitness and committment to making 20+ tackles a game would be the only issue.