What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes 2013

Red Bear

Referee
Should we even play a spinner in England?

Other than The Oval, and occasionally Old Trafford, wickets don't tend to break up.

Unless you have a good spinner who can use the conditions you're better off with an all-out pace attack.
If watson is bowling/Henriques is in the side at 6 then yes, we wont need 5 quicks.

Timbo

Staff member
True. Depends on the all-rounder.

I'm worried it'll be Maxderp though.

African Monkey

First Grade
Cowan has to play in England. He's the only one who has the ability to blunt the English attack which is a must in their conditions with the swinging ball.

JJ

Immortal
Aust needs to rebuild, and take a good long hard look at the batters and spinners they're putting some level of faith in, Clarke aside the rest simply aren't much good...

England should win handsomely, they are a fine side at the moment, and the likes of Root and Finn are getting better quickly

Should we even play a spinner in England?

Other than The Oval, and occasionally Old Trafford, wickets don't tend to break up.

Unless you have a good spinner who can use the conditions you're better off with an all-out pace attack.

My concern would be the slow over rate.

Serious penalties for captains now , and we can't afford to lose Clarke from our line up.

With henriques in the team we'll have 4 seamers anyway.

Aust needs to rebuild, and take a good long hard look at the batters and spinners they're putting some level of faith in, Clarke aside the rest simply aren't much good...

England should win handsomely, they are a fine side at the moment, and the likes of Root and Finn are getting better quickly

Rebuilding is fine , but with what? There are no young batsmen putting their hands up.

Pace bowling depth looks pretty good. Which is really our only chance in England.

Timbo

Staff member
My 16 man squad would be (I know it's usually 15, but if they're taking 17 to India I see 16 as a minimum):

1-E.Cowan
2-D.Warner
3-P.Hughes
4-M.Clarke*
5-U.Khawaja
6-B.Haddin+
7-M.Henriques
8-S.O'Keefe
9-M.Starc
10-P.Siddle
11-J.Pattinson

12-P.Nevill+
13-G.Bailey
14-J.Faulkner
15-J.Hazlewood

No bird Timbo?

I can't see hazelwood making it in front on bird.

Faulkner good do some nice things in England. But only if we have one or two injuries.

8Ball

First Grade
Haddin averages 45.5 against England in 9 matches total (46 in 4 tests in England). Whether as a keeper or pure batsman, he must tour, especially given how shit our current batting line up is.

aussies1st

Staff member
I can see whichever pace attack we pick getting the 20 wickets. The question is how we handle the swing, that SL ODI match showed the issues are still around and the two times we have faced a green top was our 47 all out and then our lost to NZ in Hobart.

I can see whichever pace attack we pick getting the 20 wickets. The question is how we handle the swing, that SL ODI match showed the issues are still around and the two times we have faced a green top was our 47 all out and then our lost to NZ in Hobart.

Problem is we can't play swing, can't play spin and when we play against anything else we play stupid shots and throw our wickets away.

Timbo

Staff member
No bird Timbo?

I can't see hazelwood making it in front on bird.

Faulkner good do some nice things in England. But only if we have one or two injuries.

I like Bird, think he would be a massive handful in England, but his injury means he's unlikely to go.

Timbo

Staff member
Haddin can't play as a batsman.

Every time Wade f**ked up behind the stumps the camera would zoom in on him in the field and the commentators would verbalise how f**ked in the head old man Invers is.

JJ

Immortal
Problem is we can't play swing, can't play spin and when we play against anything else we play stupid shots and throw our wickets away.

Seems the Australian batting lineup is becoming more like NZ :D

TBH, I think flat wickets and a diet of 20:20 have a lot to do with it - we end up with big shot merchants who have lost the ability to graft, play straight etc... there are exceptions in the younger generation, over here we have Williamson (but then we also have Guptill, McCullum, Taylor etc who fit your description above)... you already have Clarke, unfortunately Cowan is mediocre, but at least he has the right intent imo

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
can't see Haddin being recalled at his age and he fossil is probably too arrogant to admit he was wrong