What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asian World Cup Qualifiers

Dragooner

Bench
We need a thread for them all. Todays line-up

Australia vs Qatar
Japan vs Thailand
Sth Korea vs Turkmenistan
Iran vs Syria
China vs Iraq
Oman vs Bahrain
UAE vs Kuwait
Saudi Arabia vs Singapore.

Game of the day has to be China vs Iraq. Oman vs Bahrain is set to be a cracker too.

Dragooner

Bench
Japan and Thailand the only match currently in progress.

About 25 minutes gone and it's 0-0.

Dragooner

Bench
I have done that before, And I live on a LONG road. Not that long but it is a fair distance. And I live up the top.

Nearly half-time. 40min gone and it's 1-1.

RedVGooner

Juniors
gunning_for_panthers said:
Thailand better not win now! :lol:

oh noooo need to worry lol, japan won 4-1, i was getting abit worried after the scoreline was at 1-1:lol:

fish eel

Immortal
fish eel said:
I'll take a draw between china and iraq thank you

Finished 1-1. Australia top of their group and will remain so if we draw away to China next month.

A win though, would really set us up.

That would put us 5 points clear of China, whom are competiting with us and Iraq for the top two spot.

f**k this Asian qualification route is exciting.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just got in from Seoul (haven't slept in twenty four hours and thoroughly exhausted) having seen Korea thump Turkmenistan 4-0. In all honesty, Korea looked a little disjointed and could well have been behind at the break against a very determined, gutsy Turkmenistan outfit. A goal right before halftime (quite similar to Josh Kennedy's) broke the Turk resolve and the floodgates opened in the second half as they got tired and started to make mistakes.

Still, could have been 2-1 at one point after the Turkmenistan striker robbed the last defender of the ball and got one on one with the keeper. He almost batted it into his own goal, but some scrambling managed to hoof it clear.

f**king freezing, mind you, -3c. The complimentary heat packs they handed out were put to good use :p

Dragooner

Bench
Not bad results all round. Interesting to see how this all unfolds.

It is WAY more cooler than playing through Oceania with only 1 game to look forward to.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I agree. It's exciting to not only play games that matter, but to be able to keep track of a competitive confederation.

weasel

First Grade
That Thai player scored an awesome goal against Japan. Shame one of them had to go get himself sent off so stupidly, I reckon they could have gone down just 2-1 otherwise. Should be proud of their performance anyway.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just saw the Thai goal on YouTube and you're right, it was an absolute cracker. Goal of the qualifiers so far (though I've only seen goals from six of them).

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so whats the goods on China ?

I dont think I've ever seen them play

they only have a population of about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to pick from

fish eel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
so whats the goods on China ?

I dont think I've ever seen them play

they only have a population of about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to pick from

2002 World Cup.

Didnt win a game. Remember when Rivaldo got hit in the knee and hit the deck holding his face? That was against China I think.

Australia played them in a friendly in China last year and cleaned them up quite easily.

This match will be tougher. Not on a Fifa date, which means no guarantees players will get released, and it is out of a-league season so local guys wont be match fit. Also being played at quite a high altitude which we wont be used too, those sneaky communist bastards :lol: