What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asian World Cup Qualifiers

Macca_

Coach
So our other two home fixtures are -

2nd June vs Iraq
22nd June vs China

Does anyone know where these will be held (has that been announced)?

If there's a Sydney game, our club are going to orgainise a bus trip down. Any info would be great... :D

weasel

First Grade
Rumours I've heard suggest Sydney as one, which should be almost certain anyway, and then Adelaide or possibly a return to Melbourne for the other. But that information is very old and very unreliable.

Schillaci

Juniors
The iraq game will most likely be in Brisbane and the China game in Sydney.

misanthorpe being based in South Korea are you going to the game in Kunming? I'll be booking my flights during the week. Have to get a chinese visa sorted too.

Will be tough. Kunming is higher above sea level than Charlottes pass.

Misanthrope

Staff member
so whats the goods on China ?

We towelled them in a pre ANC friendly last year with a less than full strength, full fitness squad. Not sure how their squad was looking, but it was a game in which the Socceroos barely raised a sweat to achieve the (I think) 2-0 win.

But as others have pointed out, timing is going to count against us. What doesn't make sense to me is how World Cup qualifiers aren't automatically FIFA approved dates? If these aren't important matches - what the hell are!?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Schillaci said:
7 news said this morning Aus vs Iraq will be at Suncorp on June 2nd.... I can't see the China game going anywhere else but Sydney?

I would of thought that because Sydney has a big Iraqi population, they'd take the game there. Maybe that's one of the reasons they didn't play it there.

A FULL-strength Socceroos side featuring World Cup heroes Lucas Neill, Tim Cahill and Mark Bresciano seems certain to play at Suncorp Stadium in June.
Neither Football Federation Australia nor the State Government would confirm it yesterday, but Australia's path to the 2010 World Cup will feature a qualifier against Iraq in Brisbane.
June 2, a Monday night, is the Asian Football Confederation's nominated date for the match.
However, FFA corporate affairs chief Bonita Mersiades said June 1 or June 4 were preferred dates and negotiations were under way to play the match on either the Sunday or the Wednesday.
Mersiades said talks were progressing well between the FFA and the State Government, with an official announcement that Suncorp Stadium will host the match expected by the end of the month.
The clash against Iraq is one of four qualifiers the Socceroos will play in June.
With the games falling in the off-season of almost every European league, there should not be a problem with selection of the likes of West Ham captain Neill, Everton midfielder Cahill, Palermo attacking weapon Bresciano and Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.
Queensland Roar skipper Craig Moore won't be available for selection, having announced his international retirement following Australia's 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Qatar in Melbourne last Wednesday night.
Hopes of seeing Neill, Cahill and Schwarzer playing for their clubs in Australia as part of the English Premier League's move to play a full round of matches overseas have been quashed by the FFA, which had to approve the proposal.
FFA chairman Frank Lowy said the A-League would remain the governing body's priority.
"We said when this issue first arose last week that FFA's overwhelming priority is to promote the A-League and to continue to invest in, and grow, the game in Australia," Lowy said.
"That remains our view. The bottom line is FFA rejects the notion of another country playing a round of their domestic competition in Australia and intruding on the development of the A-League and the game in Australia."
FFA chief executive Ben Buckley did not rule out the possibility of A-League teams playing club sides from around the globe in exhibition matches.
"However, our overriding objective is to build equity in the A-League and everything we do is assessed against that objective," Buckley said.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23212113-10389,00.html

NK Arsenal

Juniors
*bump*

Todays fixtures

China v Australia @ Kunming
Syria v United Arab Emirates @ Damascus
Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia @ Tashkent
Turkmenistan v Jordan @ Ashgabat
Bahrain v Japan @ Manama
Qatar v Iraq @ Doha
Thailand v Oman @ Bangkok
Korea DPR v Korea Republic @ Shanghai
Singapore v Lebanon @ Singapore
Kuwait v Iran @ Kuwait City

My tips..

China v Australia - Australia
Syria v United Arab Emirates - UAE
Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia - Draw
Turkmenistan v Jordan - Jordan
Bahrain v Japan - Japan
Qatar v Iraq - Iraq
Thailand v Oman - Thailand :crazy:
Korea DPR v Korea Republic - Korea Republic
Singapore v Lebanon - Singapore
Kuwait v Iran - Iran

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'm not sure as I don't have pay tv.

But just cause I don't mind you I'll have a look online.

Yep, 2:25 tomorrow morning on Fox Sports 2.

fish eel

Immortal
herbert henry1908 said:
Qatar won 2-0.

that really opens up this group.

Aside from a draw, thats the best result for us.

Also, in other groups, Bahrain beat Japan