What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask Gus

Up until 2 months ago everyone was happy in the direction we were/are headed. So yes, two months.

If they were, they were wrong.

A deeper analysis shows last year wasn't as good as some people make out. And if it was so good how'd we fall in a 2 from 9 heap? Good teams don't implode like that.

Tbf I don't really have a problem with this. There's no way you can "tell the fans" without everyone else (media/opposition) finding out. If keeping cards close to the chest gives us an advantage i don't mind finding out later.

I wonder if there's anything to show this works though? Personally I think footy is much simpler than all this cloak & dagger stuff.

betcats

Referee
Pot have you met Kettle?

You (and your other 2 or 3 mates) do exactly the same when someone has a difference of opinion to you. If we're not burning Griffin at the stake or blaming him for WW3 then we're 'circle jerking'.

Bull shit, we post our opinions(aggressively at times) and respond to the people who are mocking those opinions. You literally offer nothing. If you don't agree with our opinions fair enough but you just come in here, post some sarcastic pisstake because a few of us dare to be pissed off with this f**ked season.

betcats

Referee
Up until 2 months ago everyone was happy in the direction we were/are headed. So yes, two months.

2 months ago we were premiership favourites, now with minimal injuries and disruptions our chances at making the 8 are just about gone and we are sitting in 2nd last and being told by management we are in a great position. How long do we have to be f**king woeful before the coach should be fired? 2 years? 3 years? lol wtf.

Give me one reason why the coach should not be held accountable for our results? Why is losing acceptable? Do you have an opinion of your own at all or do you just let Gus think for you?

Last edited:
Pot have you met Kettle?

You (and your other 2 or 3 mates) do exactly the same when someone has a difference of opinion to you. If we're not burning Griffin at the stake or blaming him for WW3 then we're 'circle jerking'.

I haven't seen anyone back up their opinions to the degree the anti Griffin crowd has.

What exactly is the argument of the pro Griffin crowd? What gives you hope he may be able to turn things around?

Bull shit, we post our opinions(aggressively at times) and respond to the people who are mocking those opinions. You literally offer nothing. If you don't agree with our opinions fair enough but you just come in here, post some sarcastic pisstake because a few of us dare to be pissed off with this f**ked season.

All I've seen from the pro Griffin crowd is name calling.

I haven't seen one person make a coherent argument (or even attempt it) as to why he has the club heading in the right direction.

Maybe today will be the day?

betcats

Referee
'
All I've seen from the pro Griffin crowd is name calling.

I haven't seen one person make a coherent argument (or even attempt it) as to why he has the club heading in the right direction.

Maybe today will be the day?

Exactly, they pop in and call anyone who's unhappy 'whingers' and 'hysterical' and offer f**k all else.

ACTPanthers

Bench
How anyone can think Griffin will turn this around astounds me - What exactly has he done in his career as a FG coach to warrant anything but skepticism?

Fangs

Coach
How anyone can think Griffin will turn this around astounds me - What exactly has he done in his career as a FG coach to warrant anything but skepticism?

This is true.

If we define 'turning the season around' as making the finals then history is counting against Griffin and the Panthers.

roofromoz

First Grade
Well, there you have it - Hook's place remains safe irrespective of how this season pans out. Maybe Gus will have a different attitude if we finish bottom 2 this season. Maybe.

mxlegend99

Referee
He had a good first year at Broncos (thanks to Lockyer) and turmed to shit.

His time with us is nearly identical. He had a good half a season on the back of Moylan playing in career best form.

Then he has turned us to shit. As expected Gus wont admit he was wrong and instead insists on us being patient and has a list of excuses that are all a load of shit.

Too young? We are older and more experienced than last year.
Injuries? We had them worse last year also.
Players finding their feet after injury? Why have them in first grade?

Every excuse he has is shut down by our form last year. We should be a better team. But we are currently in the worst form of any team right now.

But Griffin and Gus seem to think nothing needs to change and we just need to be patient. But oh no we are horrible fans for not being happy with them ruining our great club.

betcats

Referee
Look at the Dogs, they have a coach with a fantastic resume who has not missed the finals since he took over the team and has also made 2 GFs in that time and yet he was still under immense pressure to keep his job last season. We have a coach who has an average resume, literally his best achievement is making the top four once with the broncos and lockyer(NRL coaching gigs don't get easier than the broncos), he has one of the best squads in the league running second last with 5 bad losses in a row and he is under no pressure at all, its pathetic. That is the difference between expecting success and accepting mediocrity. Coaches live and die by results, giving our unproven coach a free reign to lose as much as we have is not a recipe for success. At any well run club Griffin would've been turfed out 2 weeks ago.

Fibroman

First Grade
My mail is that player morale is very low. It has to do with matters of the heart. It's never good for team harmony when a player is rubbing wee wee bottoms with another player's missus. I've been told who one of the players is, but I won't be making that public.

The yak

Juniors
My mail is that player morale is very low. It has to do with matters of the heart. It's never good for team harmony when a player is rubbing wee wee bottoms with another player's missus. I've been told who one of the players is, but I won't be making that public.

Your a bit late his name was leaked here weeks ago. We have a good hunch who the player on the outer is!

betcats

Referee
If the rumour is true and it is TMM they should just let him go to whoever will take him. He is a talented kid but f**k me that's a low act the team will never be harmonious with someone like that in the squad.

That being said TMM is currently our only chance of getting Bryce out of the halves atm so I am conflicted. The fact we are going after Cronk probably means they don't view Moylan as an option.

The yak

Juniors
That being said TMM is currently our only chance of getting Bryce out of the halves atm so I am conflicted. The fact we are going after Cronk probably means they don't view Moylan as an option.

They don't.
Story in the Nepean News has Moylan quoting he will remain at 5/8 as its his current preference.
https://www.wsnewsgroup.com/single-post/2017/05/12/Moylan-declares-his-position-at-Penrith

Penrith skipper Matt Moylan, has hosed down suggestions he will be making the move to five-eighth any time in the near future.
The response from Moylan comes amid speculation that the Penrith fullback wanted to take on the five-eighth role given the perceived failings of Te Maire Martin and Nathan Cleary as a halves pairing after just seven games together.

While Martin remains not only on the outer but possibly on his way out of the club too, Griffin’s current preferred five-eighth, Bryce Cartwright has also hardly set the world on fire since his return from injury two rounds back.
But while the Panthers paid the price once again for such an extremely slow start to trail Brisbane 28-0, Moylan’s virtuoso 20 minute performance in attack where he primarily brought Penrith back into the game to trail 28-18, has once again raised speculation and opinion as to whether the skipper will make the Lockyer-like switch from fullback to five-eighth.
Such a move would then allow Cartwright to play in his preferred back-row position and allow Dylan Edwards to come into side, either as a fullback or on the wing.

But the Penrith skipper confirmed to Nepean News after the conclusion of the last ever City Country game to be played, that his playing future at Penrith remains in the fullback position, citing that such calls for the move only surface when the team isn’t winning.
“No I’m happy to play fullback and that’s where I want to play at the moment,” Moylan declared.
“My only goal is to win. I want to be winning and at the moment my best position for the club is to be playing fullback.
“All this stuff gets mentioned more when we’re not winning.
“If we’re winning nothing of this stuff gets brought up.”

Having said the Penrith five-eighth spot isn’t for him, Moylan refused to be drawn into who should be, adding that wins will answer these questions.
“That’s not up to me. From the club’s standpoint the side gets selected and we’ve just got to go out there and win with whoever is picked,” Moylan said.
“It’s a business about winning and if we are winning none of these questions get asked.

“It’s no one’s fault, we’re a team and we’ve just got to go out there and put in the performances we know we are capable of.”
Having dispelled those rumours at a club level, Moylan admits to wanting to play in the 6 for NSW (he would be happy to be picked anywhere in the 17) and would have loved the opportunity to play in the 6 jumper for City in front of Blues coach, Laurie Daley.

“With Origin I just want to play,” Moylan declared.
“It’s a massive arena and such an awesome experience that I want to be part of again.

“I would have enjoyed the opportunity to play there (at 6) today but played fullback the whole game and enjoyed the game and the week.
“But in saying that, that dream will only come true if I put some good performances for Penrith and everyone wants people that are winning.
“We’ve got a couple of weeks before that’s all said and done so if we can put our best foot forward in the meantime and get a couple of wins that puts us in good stead to be contention (again).”

While NSW Origin coach Laurie Daley could only say Moylan remains in the mix to retain his spot in the NSW 17, City Origin coach Brad Fittler was full of praise.
“I thought he was great, I really do,” Fittler said.
“He (Moylan) saved a try early and Tariq Sims he slowed him down enough for the Ross Dog (Nathan Ross) a chance to get him.
I thought his attack was great. The chip was a bit off the cuff and a bit loose but he said he got a call from the inside and he backed his team mate so I appreciated that.

“Like he was in the last Origin, I thought today Moylan was dangerous every time he got the ball.”