What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi Signed With Souths

Penance

Juniors
Rabbitohs Sign NZ International Roy Asotasi for Five Years

The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of New Zealand international Roy Asotasi today, agreeing to a five-year contract with the famous South Sydney Club.
The Rabbitohs secured the signature of the game’s premier front-row forward ahead of strong offers from other NRL Clubs including the Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, and Clubs in the UK Super League. Asotasi, 24, has led the fearsome Bulldogs’ pack from the front on 77 occasions, plus he has represented the Kiwis in ten Tests. Asotasi is also a premiership winner, taking out the title with the Bulldogs in 2004.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says Asotasi’s signing is an historic one for the Club, signalling the best recruitment drive the Club has seen since reinstatement.
“This is an historic day for the Rabbitohs as we have signed one of the world’s best front-row forwards for an extended period, which is a real coup for this Club going forward,” Mr Richardson said.
“We can now add Roy’s signing to the recruitment of Nigel Vagana, David Kidwell and Dean Widders for next year, coupled with the exciting young players we have secured at the Club.
“This is a fantastic new start for the Rabbitohs and we look forward to seeing Roy and his fellow recruits in red and green next season.”
Asotasi, 24, says he was attracted to the Rabbitohs because of the plans the Club has both on and off the field and the stability that presents.
“The management at Souths have shown me a plan for the future which I had to be a part of,” Asotasi said.
“The Club has made some great signings for next season and I can’t wait to play on a regular basis with guys like David Kidwell, Nigel Vagana, David Fa’alogo and Joe Galuvao. I’ve had a taste of it at Test level and to play with them week-in and week-out is something I’m looking forward to.
“I have made a decision about which Club I see my career flourishing with and I feel that the Rabbitohs will give me the opportunity to play with some very talented players every week and I’m looking forward to helping them move up the premiership ladder and to greater success.”
Rabbitohs Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court says the Rabbitohs will be seen differently now in the eyes of Rugby League supporters.
“The combination of our four big signings in Vagana, Kidwell, Widders and now Asotasi means that in 2007 the Rabbitohs offer a totally different proposition for our Sponsors and our Members,” Mr Holmes à Court said.
“It moves us away from the current perception of the Club, to a credible claim to be a top eight contender. This holds great historical significance for this famous Club in our 100th season.
“We’re putting together, with the high profile outside recruits and the development of our young players, a team that can fulfil the hopes and dreams of our many supporters.
“We know we still have a lot of work to do to build the off field systems, procedures and facilities that are necessary to maximise the potential of players such as Roy, but I’m confident we’ll have them in place for the 2007 season.”

http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1591

ByRd

First Grade
:( Oh well, we knew it was coming but it is dissappointing to lose him, goodluck in the future roy.

RainMan

Juniors
Penance said:
Rabbitohs Sign NZ International Roy Asotasi for Five Years

The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of New Zealand international Roy Asotasi today, agreeing to a five-year contract with the famous South Sydney Club.
The Rabbitohs secured the signature of the game’s premier front-row forward ahead of strong offers from other NRL Clubs including the Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, and Clubs in the UK Super League. Asotasi, 24, has led the fearsome Bulldogs’ pack from the front on 77 occasions, plus he has represented the Kiwis in ten Tests. Asotasi is also a premiership winner, taking out the title with the Bulldogs in 2004.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says Asotasi’s signing is an historic one for the Club, signalling the best recruitment drive the Club has seen since reinstatement.
“This is an historic day for the Rabbitohs as we have signed one of the world’s best front-row forwards for an extended period, which is a real coup for this Club going forward,” Mr Richardson said.
”

Good signing but he's not there yet...

Penance

Juniors
Yeh, but with the dogs they usually have alot of good kids coming through. This is a good day, who have roosters signed so far? lol

yobbo84

Coach
1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Buddy Gordon
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Beau Champion
7. Joe Williams
8. Peter Cusack
9. Daniel Irvine
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
12. David Fa'alogo
13. John Sutton

Interchange:

14. Scott Geddes
15. Joe Galuvao
16. Dean Widders
17. Stuart Webb

Backs a little thin but that's a bloody good forward pack and bench!

EDIT: Williams in for B.Walker who's offer has been retracted...

mckinks

Juniors
Thank you to the Doggies and their fans for Roy Asotasi. I hope you feel that it was best he came to the Bunnies if he couldn't stay with you, because his signing helps us a lot and we really appreciate it.

Iafeta

Referee
Aren't both the Walker brothers ... gooorrrrrrnnneee? I heard Ben Walker had an offer that was retracted, I think.

Find a good halfback, and someone with good leg speed and passing depth out of dummy half and then they might get close to the top 10.

ByRd

First Grade
Its disappointing losing Roy but we expected it and knew it was coming, he is earning alot and i dont blame him for doing it. He has been a great servant to the dogs and hopefully he will be for the remainder of the year, is a good buy for the bunnies and i wish him all the best.

yobbo84

Coach
Iafeta said:
Aren't both the Walker brothers ... gooorrrrrrnnneee? I heard Ben Walker had an offer that was retracted, I think.

Find a good halfback, and someone with good leg speed and passing depth out of dummy half and then they might get close to the top 10.

Yep, sorry. Just heard Richo on 2SM who said basically the same thing... so it looks like Joe Williams will be our half. At least he'll have a decent forward pack to play behind.... we'll go for a halfback next year.

Iafeta

Referee
This has though been in my estimation a far better recruiting season for the Bunnies than it was last year. Kidwell is tough, Asotasi is skillful, Vagana is a finisher (although I think he's past his best he'll bring experience), if they can get their best team on the park now they'll have some real impact off the bench no matter what way they decide to go.

There was a lot of hype about improvement, but in essence, the squad itself was probably weaker than it was last year with Harrison gone, an out of form Gulavao in.

However, with all that in mind, Souths are probably grateful Anasta didn't come back because by jingos he's the most overrated player in the comp and then some.

yobbo84

Coach
Iafeta said:
This has though been in my estimation a far better recruiting season for the Bunnies than it was last year. Kidwell is tough, Asotasi is skillful, Vagana is a finisher (although I think he's past his best he'll bring experience), if they can get their best team on the park now they'll have some real impact off the bench no matter what way they decide to go.

There was a lot of hype about improvement, but in essence, the squad itself was probably weaker than it was last year with Harrison gone, an out of form Gulavao in.

However, with all that in mind, Souths are probably grateful Anasta didn't come back because by jingos he's the most overrated player in the comp and then some.

Mate, this year is infinately better than last... in fact it's beyond comparison.

2007 Recruitment: Asotasi, Kidwell, Vagana, Widders, Irvine...

vs

2006 Recruitment: Galuvao, Lowe, Cupples, Rogers, Webb...