What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At the game now

hewi

Bench
Scrappy win, drop ball, silly penalties, defence needs lots of work ! Good to have a win , but Tigers are awful at times in 2nd half. There is hope but real test is Vs the Warriors, they are huge and have great halves

Spot on. Debelin and Witt I assume will both miss next week so a little bit unsettling with changes already. In all honesty the Tigers were very ordinary and a loss would not have been a good sign. However, credit where credit is due, well done boys.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Overall we found out today that we can score points, let's hope it's not a one off. Defence needs work, maybe the heat was a factor but it's only round 1. Players that impressed, widdop by mile, also cooper did well, Stanleys impact was good, Michael Witt until injury, quinlan has a very good future and the team palyed well. I'm sure hopefully they can gel together as the year goes on. As for the crowd, we could of got more at kogarah. Feels good to win. Nearly forgot that feeling. :D

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm gonna be a Negative Nancy, but from what I saw it hasn't changed my opinion that we won't make the 8. We would have got towelled up by any decent team IMO.
Poor discipline & dropped balls.
Goal line defence was crap.
I can't see our attack worrying good defence.
Thompson not on til the 50th minute. How can anyone justify that?

Positives:
Makes me sad Quinlan is gonna end up elsewhere eventually. Great support player.
Florence makes me moist
Widdop. I thought he was a good player, but not worth 500K. I was wrong about that. Star.
Creagh, Ah Mau & Frizzel was strong out wide.
Merrin as damaging as ever.

TheRev

Coach
Atleast you can all judge the team on its actual 'first grade level' performance now, been killing me listening to normally level headed forum goers ready to neck themselves and the club, with the 'we will be 0/9' after the Charity Shield.

o Momentum: I get the feeling that with this new faster game and tiring sides, that once you get on top, the momentum is hard to stop.. and that run of penalties in the 1st half let us get the fightback we needed.

o 2nd rowers: Frizzell & Creagh were running hard and strong again, good signs, not sure whats going on with Thompson, I mentioned this previously but he doesnt seem to be hitting like a forward, sort of soft, might just be out of form, I still think playing him at centre is worth considering, neither Beale or Farrell did anything wrong, but I still wish they had more power.

o Goalkicking: Dont know where Widdop got his green goalkicking boots from but good on him (I thought Witt would kick), Widdops confidence will be sky high after that.. it would have been a pretty tight game without his kicking %.

o Widdop at 5/8: it was nice that he read the defence before making the play.. he pulled back a few passes which I know Soward would have thrown, and ran himself, really handy stuff.

o Kyle: Hadnt trained in the halves, so I thought he did well enough.. I mean we had momentum.. he has a long way to go still to warrant selection over anyone else though, which is why again I wish he would be allowed to start for the cutters and actually get quality game-time.

o Quinlan: love this kid, u just know he will be there backing up.. 2nd phase nightmare for the opposition, I got to be honest I reckon he is as dangerous as Dugan (in a completely different way), I just wish we could find a way to fit both into the squad, I dont want to lose our x-factor for our other x-factor if that makes sense?

Overall: I mean it was a fun game to watch, I mean there are plenty of issues to address (they almost blew us away within 15 minutes), but its Round 1, most teams look rubbish to be honest.. lets see how we backup after this weekend, the Warriors are sort of similar to Tigers, lots of strike power but low % play.. though Brookes was quite exposed today, we smashed him into submission, Johnson wont be taken out of play next week.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Too true mate. We've got some good players out there and if the team as a whole keep improving and really buy in to it we should have a decent season ahead. I still think the next few weeks will take a toll on morale but for today GO THE DRAGONS!!!!!

pinkmoon

Juniors
I'm gonna be a Negative Nancy, but from what I saw it hasn't changed my opinion that we won't make the 8. We would have got towelled up by any decent team IMO.
Poor discipline & dropped balls.
Goal line defence was crap.
I can't see our attack worrying good defence.
Thompson not on til the 50th minute. How can anyone justify that?

Positives:
Makes me sad Quinlan is gonna end up elsewhere eventually. Great support player.
Florence makes me moist
Widdop. I thought he was a good player, but not worth 500K. I was wrong about that. Star.
Creagh, Ah Mau & Frizzel was strong out wide.
Merrin as damaging as ever.

The Tigers are average at best, but to compound that, were missing Simona, Nofoaluma, Sironen, Moses, Moltzen, Gallaway, and Halatau. Even with those players, they are one of the competition easy beats.

I thought Mike Cooper went really well today!

saint.nick

Coach
I think one positive to take out of the crowd is that we wouldn't have got 20000 to Kogarah or Wollongong.

TruSaint

Referee
Overall we found out today that we can score points, let's hope it's not a one off. Defence needs work, maybe the heat was a factor but it's only round 1. Players that impressed, widdop by mile, also cooper did well, Stanleys impact was good, Michael Witt until injury, quinlan has a very good future and the team palyed well. I'm sure hopefully they can gel together as the year goes on. As for the crowd, we could of got more at kogarah. Feels good to win. Nearly forgot that feeling. :D

Thanks for your updates earlier.
Witt, Widdop , Creagh, Frizell, and Cooper great.
Quinlan did well.

_Johnsy

Referee
And its so empty that you can count the crowd. If this is a protest by our supporters or dragon army against the move away from our home grounds then i say well done and it's going to make a mark. Unless the crowd pics up and more dragons fans rock up in the next hour, then it's empty as.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good emotional yarn.

Last time we played Tigers @ Kogarah was in 2010. From memory a crowd of about 18700.
Todays crowd reported a tad under 20,000.

In short, what a load of crap OP.

BennyV

Referee
Was at the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some good tries, some good passages of play...it was a fun game! Although we do have a lot to work on. What I took out of it:

Widdop - this man is my hero! He took control of the game, was very calm and level headed, if we do well this season he will be the reason!

Left edge - looked dangerous. Beale was very classy in attack, particularly in the first half. Creagh looked great and I'm happy with him starting the game on the left edge. Maybe bring Thompson on in the 20th minute or so and leave him there for the rest of the game, with Creagh roaming a bit?

Right edge - didnt think Witt was overly special, but didnt do anything wrong. Right edged perked up a bit when Stanley came on though (not sure what the answer is for the halves, but I think given Witts injury we'll see Williams there, which is good). I'm not convinced with Farrell, defense was solid but needs more punch in attack. Dont mind if he stays there but if Mata'utia keeps up good form for Cutters Farrell will struggle to hold his spot.

Front row - was very impressed with Cooper. He ran hard, had good footwork at the line, looked a bit like Trent Merrin but seemed to pick his moments very well. Would be ok with him holding his first grade spot. Havent seen stats, but Dan Hunt needs to lift his game - seemed to be ineffective in tackles and rolled onto his back in attack. Looking forward to Stockwell being back, and hopefully one of the big youngsters can step up (Ailiomali?)

Back row - I think Frizzell deserves to start lock. Put Merrin back in the front row, wont make much difference. But Friz was a menace all game, was huge for us and needs to be roaming in the middle as much as possible.

Quinlan - needs a spot in our top 17 when Dugan gets back. The kid is a pure footballer.

Rein - Needs to pull his head out of his ass. Was horrible in the first half, completely killed momentum on several occasions and got caught at dummy half a lot. Lifted a bit in the second half, which was good, but poor service on the last tackle still hurting us. We need a decent backup hooker ASAP.

20s game was also good. The team looks very crisp, was impressed with bock second rowers and both centres. Will be good to see Crook back in action.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Cooper solid and tough.
Widdop... classy.
Frizell.. its his year.
Creah.. big effort, huge.
Merrin, top shelf.

I know we played the Tigers, but when we did we last put 44 points on a team ?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Rein - Needs to pull his head out of his ass. Was horrible in the first half, completely killed momentum on several occasions and got caught at dummy half a lot. Lifted a bit in the second half, which was good, but poor service on the last tackle still hurting us. We need a decent backup hooker ASAP.

I hope GozIlla was at the game & didn't watch it on 9.

Can only imagine how he would have reacted when Sterling was saying he's 'a very good player'.

saint.nick

Coach
Cooper solid and tough.
Widdop... classy.
Frizell.. its his year.
Creah.. big effort, huge.
Merrin, top shelf.

I know we played the Tigers, but when we did we last put 44 points on a team ?

We never even scored 40+ in the Bennett era :crazy:

Latest posts